LC
Years ago

All signs point to next NBL team in Mebourne's East

Don't believe for a moment that the NBL has not settled on a location for the NBL's next team, with a little more than 12 months away from their on-court debut.

Three reasons why the next NBL team will be in Melbourne’s East

Topic #43795 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that happens, will United change their name?

Reply #701912 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

No chance United change their name. Why would they?

Reply #701915 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

No chance United change their name. Why would they?

Reply #701916 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Melbourne East was always the best move for a new team and makes the most sense commercially for the league.

Tassie have all the feel good factor thing sorted but the commercial metrics for the league aren't nearly as good as a second Melbourne team. Remember its all about ROI for the NBL

Reply #701917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne City?

Reply #701918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets hope the SBC can get their act together. The changerooms are terrible if 4 teams are playing there.

Reply #701923 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

why not both???

Reply #701932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, changerooms at SBC are currently terrible for a double header. But why would that be the case for NBL? They don't play double-headers and the stadium will be upgraded to play NBL. Pretty sure more changerooms would be part of that. Why worry about things that are not going to affect anyone?

Reply #701934 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Can't see why changerooms are an issue for 4 teams? Only 2 NBL teams can play each other at once!

Reply #701936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arnt United b&W as a throw back to the Melbourne magic? So if Melbourne get a team in the East as suggested the DNA of Melbourne United is confusing. Tiger fans don't follow them because they miss their tigers, and se Melbourne fans that have started following United need to make a decision.

Reply #701954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tommy Greer. A job for the boys again.

Reply #701958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Melbourne is the sporting capital of Australia, and possibly even the world."

Bwahahahaha!

That's the thing I have noticed most about Melbournians, their almost genetic delusionism when it comes to Melbourne.
I worked with a lot, who obviously were nolonger in Melbourne (because at the time Victorian was basketcase and there were no jobs) yet they still believed Melbourne was the centre of the universe.

Reply #701961 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Tassie Devils/Huskies

Reply #701973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide boy here, but I hardly think calling Melbourne the sporting capital of the world is delusional.

The AFL grand final is held in Melbourne and is by far the biggest yearly sporting event in the country, and probably one of the biggest yearly domestic sporting events in the world.

Melbourne Cup, the most prestigious horse race in the world.

Australian Open, held in Melbourne.

Gramd Prix, Melbourne.

And any time an international team comes to play in any sport in Australia, where do they go? You guessed it, Melbourne.

Most states in the world have maybe 1 or 2 sporting claims to fame, Melbourne have at least four. And in the sports where they're not the number 1 spot in the country or world for, they also do it at least well, such as the cricket, soccer, and increasingly, the basketball.

I'd say Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world unless someone can show me a city that is any better.

Reply #701987 | Report this post

Ganymede 85  
Years ago

Also the largest stadium in the the country the MCG, don't forget!

Reply #702041 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Interestingly Melbourne has 2 stadiums in the top 5 capacity.
MCG, Melbourne 100,024
ANZ Stadium, Sydney 84,000
Optus stadium, Perth 60,00
Adelaide Oval, Adelaide 53,500
Marvel Stadium, Melbourne 53,359

Reply #702075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nrl still hold the record for most attendant australia sports grand final at over 104,000 in the year 2000

Reply #702115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nrl still hold the record for most attendant australia sports grand final at over 104,000 in the year 2000

Reply #702116 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

1970 Carlton vs Collingwood GF 121,000

Reply #702118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok so both these leagues have two not one thing in common then - in addition to being horrible sports they also share having a six figure crowd at a GF.

Reply #702127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NRL numbers were not legit. It has been reported as such in the past

Reply #702149 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I love both rugby league and AFL, but what is the point of mentioning outdoor stadiums in this argument, we are clearly talking about the infrastructure needed for Chaudari's team so we should only be talking about stadiums in which a basketball team can play during the 2019/20 summer

Reply #702175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the Melbourne tigers were back just playing under the pseudonym of Sydney kings. Most of there team are Melburnian.

Reply #702178 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Show me the MONEY.
Obviously its being bankrolled by whatshisname, but where are you going to generate the most from patrons?
I don't know much about Melbourne demographics, but I thought from previous discussions that SE was the preferred target?

Reply #702193 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:47 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754