CT
Years ago

Japanese basketball sex scandal

Stay classy, team Japan.

4 Japanese national team players caught buying sex from Indonesian prostitutes while playing at the Asian Games. On the job in their team uniforms too, bet that went down well back home.

(And no, Brisbane's new player wasn't involved)

"The Japanese Olympic Committee has penalized four players on the men's Asian Games basketball team for buying sex in Jakarta and sent them back home, a senior official said Monday.

Japanese delegation chief Yasuhiro Yamashita, speaking at a news conference in the Indonesian capital, said the players were stripped Sunday of their membership of the national team as their conduct violated the committee’s rules.

The B. League players — Yuya Nagayoshi, 27, Takuya Hashimoto, 23, Takuma Sato, 23, and Keita Imamura, 22 — left Jakarta early Monday morning to return to Japan, according Yamashita, who led a record-high 762-athlete delegation to the Asian Games, the world’s biggest multisport event after the Olympics.

This is the latest in a spate of scandals that have tarnished the image of the Japanese sports world as the country gears up for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The four players went out from the athletes’ village after 10 p.m. on Thursday to have dinner, and later that night they "paid for the services of prostitutes," Yamashita said.

Following their team’s 82-71 win over Qatar the same day, the players first went to a Japanese restaurant in a major entertainment district, called Block M in the city, wearing their team uniforms.

After dinner and drinking, they left and were approached by a tout on the street who introduced them to women from another shop, whom they brought to a nearby hotel and conducted “inappropriate acts” with.

“This action violated the national team’s code of conduct . . . and it betrayed the expectations of Japanese citizens,” Yamashita said. “As the chief of the delegation, it is very regrettable and I deeply apologize from the bottom my heart,” he said.

He quoted one of the players as saying that they put their official sportswear on as required before they left the village as they initially intended to just have dinner.

The remaining eight players on the Japanese basketball team will continue to participate in the tournament running through Sept. 1. There will be no substitutes for the four ousted players.

Yuko Mitsuya, head of the Japan Basketball Association, released a statement saying that their behavior is “unspeakable as athletes representing Japan,” and “there is no room to make excuses for their inconsiderate acts.”

The JOC’s rules stipulate that athletes must follow the national team’s code of conduct when competing in multisport events. Since sports activities are financed by taxpayers’ money, athletes should keep in mind that they have to act as “model citizens” even when they are away from their competitions.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/08/20/basketball/japanese-basketball-players-sent-home-asian-games-soliciting-sex-jakarta/#.W38azJ2uY0N

Topic #43801 | Report this topic

johnnysack  
Years ago

'Stay classy, Japan.'

Not sure what you are implying here. I can tell you that those four basketballers' basketball-related careers - in Japan - are likely as good as over. Not sure that would happen in a lot of countries. So, yeah setting a high standard for behaviour, and leveling high costs for transgessions - yeah, that is classy. I feel lifetime blackballing - if it comes to pass - is a bit much, but those four (as members of Japanese society) knew the risks of getting caught, and wore team uni no less - so they only have themselves to blame.

I'm just glad it was one fringe national member, and three young c team members. Thankfully none of the really talented guys that went to the Asian games hung out with those four clowns. The fact it was only those four - team black sheep(?) - is kind of instructive.

Reply #702042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as far as sex scandals go, I would think that getting a prostitute would be very low on the seriousness scale.

Reply #702045 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

Sorry, LC. My previous post should reflect the correct quote. Semantics matter ;).

'Stay classy, team Japan.'

Reply #702046 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

CT.

Not LC.

Sorry.

Reply #702047 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Can't see why this is a problem.

Few beers, dinner and a massage. Can't people relax anymore!

Reply #702049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly.

This topic had me thinking back to Sora Aoi's basketball changing room clip. :p

Reply #702050 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Yet a Chinese women's wheelchair basketball coach gets suspended for 1 game for PUNCHING A PLAYER IN THE HEAD during a timeout. It's a funny world

Reply #702051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet the Philippines men's team brawled and got off lightly.

Reply #702053 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

When I heard what had happened, and grasped the ramifications for these four - it brought to mind all the urinating and moaning from some PHI fans regarding their IMHO light sentences for what was a far more heinous act. Most Boomers fans took a philosophical on the chin approach to the bans - a seeming majority of the other team's fans - nope.

Reply #702055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you've been to Japan you'll understand why this is a big deal. They take themselves very seriously and are consummate professionals. I also think this behaviour is not only completely unprofessional but totally stupid, especially in their uniforms. It's also tacky and in light of recent scandals - very poor timing. And yes I'm aware athletes get up to all sorts of tacky behaviour but that doesn't make it right.

What's the change room clip someone mentioned???

Reply #702067 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I love how the first quote is the Japan representative feeling shame. That's peak Japanese

Reply #702069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This, This is how Australia should of handled our recent incident, Kickert and possibly even Maker should have been dealt with by BA regardless of how soft FIBA intended to be. At least JBA has a pair

Reply #702071 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

"This, This is how Australia should of handled our recent incident, Kickert and possibly even Maker should have been dealt with by BA regardless of how soft FIBA intended to be. At least JBA has a pair"

They should've been sent to the nearest brothel??

Reply #702098 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"If you've been to Japan you'll understand why this is a big deal. They take themselves very seriously and are consummate professionals."

i have and lived there for years. they don't care about their players screwing prostitutes, only that they were caught. half of the men in Japan up to exactly the same thing every weekend.

Reply #702100 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You wouldn't believe the stuff that goes on in the local Onsen every damn day

Reply #702103 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

For what it's worth i'm in Japan now. And one of my Japanese colleagues who is an experienced coach and ref reckons they are screwed - present and future tense.

While prostitution does exist here - half of the men in Japan is a gross exaggeration. I might as well say half of the men in Australia... see what i did there?

Professional athletes, celebs, etc should know and do know better. And doing this while representing Japan - on the taxpayers purse and being dumb enough to do it wearing team uni may result in them, "being unemployable in basketball - right down to even coaching kids" (to paraphrase my colleague).

Reply #702108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu what exactly occurs there?

Reply #702125 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Manu: not Innot hot springs I hope? Those Tablelanders are a bunch of deviants..

I read somewhere that Japan the has the third highest spend on prostitution in the world. I saw some truly mind-bending stuff over there so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

But yes, they are both screwed though.

Reply #702132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, you go to bars with 16y.o girls in school uniforms just to talk to them and help them with there homework. I'm not kidding.

Reply #702134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sex work should be legal, unless underage or forced it's been around for awhile. Sounds like just a bit of old fashioned team bonding (or bondage)
Spend a couple hundred on drinks picking someone up, might as well skip it and get down to business and have a sure thing.

Reply #702138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the women in Indonesia are less likely to do that kind of work by choice.
If you truly want to do that work, that's fine. But those who are forced into or had no other choice, it's a big problem...

Reply #702141 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Wow imagine if they had also pulled the decals of the floor as well

Reply #702222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how were they even allowed to walk out with their uniforms on?

Reply #702257 | Report this post

froggjuece  
Years ago

They would've got ripped off anyways, cheaper in Bali..only 2 dolla..lol

Reply #702329 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

Looks like these four received 1 year bans from the JBA which means they are also banned from playing in any first or second division B-League games (no mention of third division though). So their 2018-19 seasons are over with.

It also remains to be seen if they can get teams to sign them next year when the bans are lifted.

Reply #702591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly you know all about it Froggidiot.

Reply #702592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contrast this with Philippines who backed their players despite their shocking actions. Like night and day.

Reply #702596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:19 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754