Isaac
Years ago

NBL announces 2018/19 team uniforms

Topic #43812 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Breakers and Taipans are the only teams with a sponsor on the front of their jersey. Hawks and Bullets with 0 sponsors. hmmm

Reply #702311 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Melbournes is pretty bad. Would of like the "M" logo on top of the jersey number. Looks like a T-shirt you'd pick up at Target on the clearance racks.

Reply #702312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are all really bad

Reply #702313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they really giving Brisbane that shitty cursive font?

Reply #702314 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't know why they persist with leaving a sponsor space for no sponsor. It looks ugly and i'm sure potential sponsors are aware of where there logo would be in the singlet if a deal were to come about.

36ers, Kings, Taipans: Looks the same as last year

Wildcats: Looks okay

Breakers & Bullets: Don't have a font on the singlet that's inconsistent with the logo, silly move (same could be said for Kings)

Hawks: Bare basic, fine

Melbourne: WTF? Terrible.

Reply #702315 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

LOL.

Reply #702316 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne's looks terrible. Basically just a navy blue singlet.

Overall, they are all bland.

Reply #702317 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

First Ever, hopefully Last Ever?

Reply #702318 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Melbourne's jersey might be the worst jersey I've ever seen. It's that bad that if I were a United player I would refuse to play in that. The 36ers one is still shit but at least not as bad as United's is.

Reply #702319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is what happens when Daddy lets junior take over the marketing. This is nothing but an ego project for Justin. The quality is dreadful and being forced upon the clubs by Larry, just to make his boy happy. LK has done some amazing things no doubt, but he's really missed the mark with this.

Reply #702320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHA KET! what a call!

Reply #702322 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

I'm hoping to get my Greg Hire jersey before they sell out.

Reply #702323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also helpful for PR purposes: Make sure your hyperlinks work in your article.

These jerseys continually make graduate graphic designers look at each other in disgust. I thought the Clippers proved putting your initial next to a number is aesthetically nauseating.

I'm looking at the player jerseys for the Breakers - there's way too much going on. Different blues, horrible number graphics and the contrast on the Maori design is a bit overbearing (I own their jersey from 3 seasons ago because of how well they blended it into the shirt design).

Reply #702326 | Report this post

Greenie  
Years ago

They tagging the wrong First Ever on twitter as well, going well

Reply #702330 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I don't mind ours and NZ's. The others are rubbish. Melbourne's is easily the worst. Especially if you go a plain one without a player in it.

Reply #702331 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #702335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting tidbit: Alcohol Think Again (Healthway) did not renew their naming brand sponsorship deal with the Wildcats because the league is now sponsored by Hungry Jacks.

Reply #702336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne!!!! Who approved that!?!

Reply #702337 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

All very ordinary and unimaginative... Some are ok, mostly the ones that haven't really changed much, others are just shit... It's like whoever "designed" them knew nothing of balance and proportion...

Just ugh...

Reply #702342 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wonder if it's a slight gamble to throw the central neck position to First Ever. If their target market for that is administrators at basketball clubs, then surely that's as defined and easy a market to reach as any? They could've put the NBL logo there instead, isolated the HJs logo, and gone from there. The issues with something like the Cairns top are otherwise size of the two remaining front sponsors - easy fixes.

Reply #702343 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Is there some photoshopping going on?

Damien Martin's arms look dispropotionately big.

Reply #702344 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Boner Bogut

Reply #702348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trust you to be looking at that area.

Reply #702349 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Anyone know how much clubs will be charging? Surely not much.
You can always tell tge new fans of teams by the shitness of their jerseys.

Reply #702356 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

The Melbourne jersey looks like some highway sign. and its a great highway sign at that.

Reply #702359 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would be prepared to wear the 36ers jersey at games my fee is $50 per game.

Reply #702360 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That Melbourne one is pretty easily the worst basketball jersey ever made.

Reply #702363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the Melbourne one, it's a playing singlet all the same, you are all to fussy

Reply #702368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a playing singlet, but looks and branding matter.

It reflects on how the brand and league is perceived by the public.

It may not matter to you, but you don't matter. You're a die hard fan commenting on the subject on an online forum.

Reply #702369 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

A couple of years ago Perth had the city outline incorporated into their logo and I went out and bought that jersey immediately... not only has Perth gone away from that besides the Maori incorporation in the Breakers jersey, NOTHING identifies the place the teams are from and I think that is greatly missing an opportunity.

I'd imagine tourists that go to a game would be more likely to buy a jersey if there was something identifying a fun night out in a fun place but the only chance they'd have of this happening is if they sell these jersey's for $40... otherwise forget about it.

Now I'm not street at all but what is street about any of these jerseys?

Did we get spoilt by seeing a better designed jersey from the Huskies or am I just kidding myself, Justin will ruin that somehow too.

STOP making boring jerseys!

Reply #702371 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, this is mostly garbage. Unimaginative, uninspired garbage. Some people say they were right not to tamper with the look of the jersey too much, but these were jerseys no one overly liked in the first place.

I have an easy solution for all of this though, and it doesn't even mean kicking First Ever out:

Just make the heritage round jerseys the full year jerseys. They are consistently more attractive than the full season jerseys and have been since the start. The jerseys they base these designs on came through at a time when the NBL was basically dead. Why pay homage to a time that sucked?

Either go back to the classic designs, or make something completely new. No one wants to see the rehash of the 2010 dregs in any part of the league.

Reply #702372 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cyco Miko from legendary US punk/metal band Suicidal Tendencies still rocks an old Sydney Kings training top in the band's current photo shoots.

https://goo.gl/images/YZGvqK

Reply #702374 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Eh here's an article with the pic anyway

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/suicidal-tendencies-more-still-cyco-punk-after-all-these-years-details-revealed-tour-dates-announced/

Reply #702375 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Is United sponsored by freeways now?

Reply #702376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, that's not a training top. It's either a Kings warm up top or a fan product.

Reply #702384 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Okay yeah I meant warm up top and it's legit as you can see from the Philips & Trendwest sponsor logos. I don't know if Mike Muir lived in Sydney but I do know he spent some time living on the Gold Coast.

Reply #702388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well after this fails at least Justin can go back to suckling on daddy's teat.

Reply #702389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, I have a Kings training top from a few years back. ;) Might even have a name on it as well!

Reply #702390 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Okay, so I looked at the uniforms again on the NBL Store and my first appraisal was probably a bit unfair.

I took the trouble of posting pictures of the new jerseys up against last year's on the Australian NBL Fans Facebook group, and it is fairly clear to see when they're posted alongside eachother that First Ever actually has made a positive improvement on almost all of them.

When looking at the cuts of the jerseys they certainly look more form fitted and complimentary than last year's jerseys. The side trim is slimming and will help give the wearer and tapered looking mid-section. Also, the spacing and colors are a bit better.

So while these have not been the innovative overhauls I think we all wanted, they do improve upon last year's offerings in a few key areas. Certainly the 36er jersey is markedly better, but you'd only really see the difference of quality when you juxtapose the two together and see that this year's jersey looks like it might be worn by a professional sports team, and the other, not so much.

Might be worth you guys getting a better look at the uniforms on the First Ever site, because rake thin K Mart models probably aren't stretching the shirts enough for you to get the full scope of what they look like. I've actually totally done a 180 on this, and not a single dollar has gone in my bank for it.

https://www.firstever.com/nbl/jerseys/?sort=featured&page=1

I think in future, though, the designs need to be better. The cut and fit looks good, so do the side trim, and the improvement in spacing, but I feel like the basis of jerseys from now on should actually be the heritage round jerseys from whatever the most iconic year in any given team's history was. For mine, if they could do something based on the 00/01 jersey in a dark blue for the 36ers, but modernized, I'd be pretty happy with that. The concepts that teams were using for those 90s uniforms really don't need to change too much and are iconic already. A bit of a spruce up and you'd have something that even non-fans would buy.

Either way might be worth taking another look at these jerseys.

Reply #702395 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I do like that there's some consistency in design now, rather than a radical overhaul for every team. I just wish they'd had a better base to work from, and that Melbourne thing is an atrocity. Rips right past that horrid grey San Antonio alternate for the title of Worst Basketball Jersey Ever. The back looks like someone was making a conscious effort to make the front look good by comparison.

Reply #702397 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yes the Melbourne jersey is truly an eyesore but I actually think they improve every other one. As for Cairns, well as long as they choose to be that ugly orange they're never going to make clothing anyone wants to wear.

Reply #702398 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I like how they set the standard of how painful it will be to wear such ugly singlets by forcing the players to stand in the 13C windy winter weather for the launch

Reply #702399 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The number/name on the back of Cairns, Melbourne, Perth, NZ are ridiculously big and ugly as all hell.

36ers, Hawks, Kings, Bullets have much better sized font.

In respect of the 36ers singlet, I liked last years, it's basic but decent. This year doesn't appear much different, probably one of the best singlets now in the NBL.

Reply #702400 | Report this post

M  
Years ago

M1 - motorway

M8 - self exaplanatory

M16 - you would hope whoever wears this number will be able to shoot the lights out

M15 - sneaky player

But seriously...that MU one is just not good at all

Reply #702402 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Has Damian Martin been working out, since Conklin is now in the comp?

Reply #702405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of ripped tops this year...

Reply #702406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who makes the wnbl jerseys?

Reply #702407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wont be a Kestleman TFG

Reply #702408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Interesting tidbit: Alcohol Think Again (Healthway) did not renew their naming brand sponsorship deal with the Wildcats because the league is now sponsored by Hungry Jacks."

No, they lost the sponsorship because Healthways got gutted, after being caught out wasting money and misusing perks.

Reply #702411 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

@ ME, I remember when Cairns came to Perth last season and they wore their blue alternate strip and I commented on how beautiful their jersey looked and she agreed... case in point is that Cairns identify as being orange even though they can produce an aesthetically pleasing alternate strip when too many other teams wear blue already... it's just a shame that even if they kept that bright orange if they could blend in more of blue in their jersey... maybe if they could incorporate the Great Barrier Reef down the bottom of the jersey and had the orange looking like a sunset then that would be a far more attractive idea for fans to buy their jersey.
All we are limited by is our imaginations... and the terrible ideas of others

Reply #702412 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like the Cairns colours. Jersey is ruined by oversized sponsor logos, but the colours and logo are good. Hawks might be best in the absence of any sponsors!

Reply #702416 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

This "first ever" might end up being the "last ever" for the design team!

All i'll say is wow and who's getting fired!

Reply #702422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proud - "she agreed" who?

Reply #702434 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Forget the uniforms, what about Damien Martin's arms and hands, how huge are they for a guy his size, wow!

#Therealstoryofthenblismartin

:)

Reply #702441 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Jumpshot, that's very funny, maybe so..

Reply #702442 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, now that I have had a good look at all of them, they appear not too bad.

Would like to see some more contrast in the trim on the neck and arm holes, especially for the Kings (too much purple).

Breakers tops are killers, if only they completed the design instead of stopping half way though???

Not too bad guys, let's not be too critical here, I agree they are better than last year.

At least we may not see dark numbers on a dark top, or at least I hope not sheesh'

Reply #702445 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

On TV last season you couldn't see Hawks red numbers on the black singlet, so here we go again.

Reply #702450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those uniforms were red numbers with a thin black outline on red tops from what I recall, and you are correct, they were unreadable!

Reply #702452 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I wonder when the Away singlets will be shown?

IMO they should use three jerseys - home colour, away colour, white clash away with away colours as:

NZ: light blue
Brisbane: Yellow or maroon for qld colours
Sydney: Yellow
Wollongong: Red
Melbourne: Light grey
Adelaide: Gold (not yellow gold, the gold they use now) or Red
Perth: Black

I agree with the above, the NBL have improved singlets over last year with the exception of Melbourne where they should have just done "Melbourne" on the top with their logo “M” like they've put on the shorts.

Other criticisms are the numbers and names far too big on half the teams back of singlets and spacing where no sponsor exists.

Reply #702490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some chatter on Twitter about aussie designer Tyson Beck who's done some stunning NBA Christmas jersey concept designs.

Considering this guy lives in Australia, why the hell wouldn't the league use him to contribute to the jersey designs.

Reply #702522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the NBL thinks the interns who run that side of things know everything.

Reply #702524 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Don't the NBL hire people from Bond Bar whio say they are like into fashion and design

Reply #702525 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Not taking anything away from those Xmas designs, but in years past the NBL has had a bunch of rules about team name / number / sponsor placement which make it hard to design for.

They've required a wordmark, and not a logo on jersey front. Number had to be in the centre, not off to the side.

It seems United got the memo and really changed things up.

Reply #702537 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:19 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754