Spurs will miss him

Reply #702425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember when he batted away that bat.

Reply #702432 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It sounds ridiculous, but I always thought Manu Was underrated, because Pop played him off the bench so often throughout his prime.

He only averaged above 30 minutes twice in his career, so his numbers don't look as impressive as many of his contemporaries. Only 2 All-Star appearances and 2 All-NBA selections doesn’t really do justice to the impact this guy had in the NBA.

Although his 4 championships rings and Olympic Gold medal says a lot. I remember in 2005, going to a pub in Richmond and watching Game 7. Manu was instrumental. Duncan won the Finals MVP but Ginobili would’ve been an equally deserving winner.

The ultimate competitor, creative and unique. He had the ball on a string and devastated opponents at both ends of the court.

Reply #702444 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Basketball's Manu 'e Manu Gi-nobility, legendary!

Reply #702446 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

What a champion of the game and an inspiration to watch. His court awareness and passing game were particularly great.

Also, this makes Patty Mills the longest tenured Spur on the current roster:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2018/8/27/17787666/patty-mills-manu-ginobili-retirement-spurs-roster

Reply #702456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV went to a pub in Richmond this one time.

Reply #702470 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not wrong! I don't get to pubs in Richmond often.

Those were pre league pass days for me. Watching an NBA game was a big deal.

Well, it's a big deal these days too...just for entirely different reasons- lack of time is the problem now, as opposed to lack of access!

I have been privileged to watch plenty of Manu's greatness through the years though. My personal favourites:

- His game winning block of Harden's shot

- The way he bounced back in 2014 in particular, and kept contributing through to his final season. In 2013 he was 35 years old, and looked in rapid decline. I figured he relied on speed and agility and was losing it, and there were times during the 2013 playoffs were I wondered how much he had left in the tank. But he was huge in 2014 and played a big role in that championship.

Reply #702474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That block of Harden was insane. It was one of those plays that just shouldn't have been physically possible for him at that point in time but he refused to let go.

I think 2013 provided a lot of the motivation for 2014, a sense of not wanting to play too long and be the guy who let them down. But having too much joy to stop. So realising he needed to be better and figuring out how to achieve that. That whole season was amazing.

With Parker in Charlotte and Timmy and Manu retired, it's really a new era in San Antonio. Good chance this is Pop's last season, given the churn. Hopefully the Spurs keep being themselves and setting the bar for pro sports franchises.

Reply #702491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://youtu.be/q_6im2RzZxU

Reply #702502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #702504 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Dirty player. Good riddance

Reply #702566 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:33 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754