Anon
Years ago

Australian Indigenous NBL Team Concept

JUST FOR DISCUSSION SAKE.

I know that with direction the NBL is headed in, this is far from anything in their plans (maybe an indigenous round, if we don't have that already?). But if it were to happen, where in the country would you most likely set up the franchise, and which indigenous players would be a good base for the team? Who would you have as Coach?

Topic #43957 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's actually a pretty good idea, imagine the media hype.

Darwin.

Reply #706373 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

How many indigenous professional players are there?

As good as patty mills is he can't do it all on his own

Reply #706381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many indigenous players are currently in the nbl? Places like Hobart are working hard to get a franchise off the ground so can't see a market really for this concept otherwise Darwin or somewhere else would have already put a proposal in.
And sorry, but why does there have to be an indigenous round in every sport, AFL and Rugby have a large percentage of players so should have it, but when it comes to basketball it is less represented. In fact I would say there are probably more players of Sudanese descent playing Nbl, should we have a Sudanese round?

Reply #706387 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anonymous,

It was implied as FAR from the NBL's plans, indirectly acknowledging places like Hobart or even another New Zealand for getting a team. Indigenous Round was and is just a concept, just because I mentioned it doesn't mean it has to happen. Again, it's just a concept.

Maybe if it was in the pipeline, we would get more participation from the Indigenous Australian population. We're finding diamonds (no pun intended) in the rough with these amazing athletes coming from Sudan, we could find the same here in our own backyard. Look at the Rugby and AFL, you see what they do every weekend.

Take a look at how much work AFL and Rugby are doing in the communities, and compare it to basketball and you realise why they choose to play the former even more.

Reply #706390 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

expecting/presuming that indigenous players either require a "protected" spot on a 'special" team, or that they would find it easier to relocate than to break into their local NBL team (if there is one) are two totally unconscious assumptions/biases that would get tangled up in this idea.
I'm also not certain that it is a concept that would actually be supported by many in the indigenous community .

But I do like the idea of having a more rigorous involvement with the local country and urban indigenous communities, particularly the youth, bu the NBL .

Reply #706392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No issue with an Indigenous round for the NBL. Netball has an indigenous round, and there is 1 player in the league who identifies as indigenous.

Reply #706405 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Bball and Netball unfortunately don;t have the same foot hold in the aboriginal populations as Rugby & AFL do which is perhaps because of long term community investment, stars in those sports being aboriginal plus the fact both AFL/NRL don't require more than a ball.

Reply #706406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Indigenous round has nothing to do with indigenous players in the associated sport, it is to recognise indigenous people as a whole. I think it is a great idea regardless of the sport.

Also, stop referring to Aussie Rules Football as "AFL", AFL is the name of the competition, not the sport. Same with NRL.

Reply #706409 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

I like how sports have a round for "Indigenous" but always wondered why don't we have "Italian" "Greek" or "English" round considering they are a larger section of the community.

Reply #706414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably because Indigenous round celebrates the indigenous people of this country.

Multicultural round celebrates the others.

Reply #706416 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Does it send the wrong message singling out a single group in the community?

Reply #706432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one seems to worried about the message when it comes to welfare.

Reply #706440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone will have a problem with anything if they really want to.

Reply #706446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/australian-indigenous-team-wins-fourth-straight-series-against-new-zealand/

Reply #706462 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Just put your name on it dick head. Everyone knows it you.

Brian Kerle - amongst others - has been on the NBLs case about an indigenous round many times and he's been knocked back every time. He does outstanding work throughout Australasia with indigenous communities but has stated that he's sick of hitting his head against a brick wall with the NBL.

Dumbfounded by people asking why we would bother having it. You're probably of the belief that Australia was settled...

Reply #706464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kerlie gets paid plenty through grants and whatnot for his work with the indigenous, I'd say that’s the main reason he’s been championing such cause.

Reply #706468 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Whatnots. Got it.

Reply #706473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ REALITY

"I like how sports have a round for "Indigenous" but always wondered why don't we have "Italian" "Greek" or "English" round considering they are a larger section of the community."

Let me give you a REALITY check - it's the lack of recognition and representation of indigenous groups in every facet of the community which is why we celebrate indigenous rounds in sports.

As a Maussie (Maori in Australia) I can recognise the massive underrepresentation of indigenous peoples in Australia and NZ, and am all for the N(Z)BL having an indigenous round for Aboriginal, Torres Straight Islander, Maori, Pacifica, etc, to get in line with other sports, I'd also be keen to see Sudanese representation in these rounds.

Reply #706500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, because non-Anglos are sooooo well represented in the NBL. *eyeroll*

Reply #706513 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754