Anonymous
Years ago

Decision on SEABL future delayed

BA have now pushed the decision on SEABL's future back to October 19.

Seriously WTF! They dropped the bomb on the clubs seven weeks ago that they were shutting down the league and now it'll be nine weeks by the time a final decision is made.

Surely the clubs must be furious. How can you plan for a season when you don't even know if you have a league to play in?

How can you recruit players when you can't even tell them where you're playing?

BA should be ashamed of themselves. They've taken over a great league and completely ruined it. What a joke.

Topic #43990 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The clubs are indeed furious and they all should simply say to BA you are in charge of the 2019 season and we will work out the best alternative in that time because clearly you can't.

Reply #707131 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

From everyone I've spoken to around the traps, most guys are already getting set with new teams. If SEABL was to continue it wouldn't surprise me if a few guys had moved over to the Big V clubs that have a little more certainty no matter what happens.

Reply #707138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Total f..k up, as per normal..

Reply #707144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely this is only the announcement date? Basketball Victoria are already planning for 2019. Just love BA, take a bow Mr Maley. Incompetent!

Reply #707149 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

I thought the SEABL was staying the same for 2019 and 2020 was the change of potential league or did I read it all wrong???

Reply #707152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why the delay?

Reply #707154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personal foul it was but the clubs said "get stuffed" and pulled the pin on 2019.

Reply #707158 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Maley owns this debacle and surely this can;t bode well for him getting the long term CEO role.

Its a dogs breakfast!

Reply #707168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you recruit when you don't know what level competition you are going to play. on or even if you club is in.

Reply #707170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New BV-run league (independent from BigV) will be finalised soon. Clubs are in application phase now. League will announce the successful clubs later in October. Might contain interstate clubs.

Read the other SEABL-based threads and the leaked info is there for all to read. Starting a new thread doesn't make more info appear.

No point complaining - it is what it is. BA dropped a bombshell and the clubs are trying to recover quickly. We will still have a fantastic league that provides outstanding competition for Victorian clubs and develops players for higher levels, even if it's not called SEABL.

Reply #707196 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yes no doubt you will still have a great competition for Victorian clubs. At the expense of a number of non Victorian clubs who will be left pondering "how the hell did that happen" as their clubs disappear from existence. An act of treachery by BVic and some of its clubs, aided and abetted by BA.

Reply #707197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorian clubs don't like losing, so if you can’t win get rid the competition.

Reply #707199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorian clubs want many teams out. Including those from Tassie, MtG and Canberra will leave of their own volition anyway.

Reply #707211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish! The Victorian clubs that were in SEABL loved what the league provided, including the interstate competition. If they didn't then they would have entered Big V instead. I’ll think you’ll find many are pushing to have these interstate teams be given the opportunity to continue in this new league.

Reply #707215 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Think you'll find the vic seabl clubs had no idea this was going to happen!

Don't blame the vic clubs anyone upset about this should be talking directly to BA and Maley who's ultimately responsible for the decision that looks very likely to leave Mount fair and square on its own and perhaps even the Tassie clubs if a few in BV get there way.

BA have blind sided everyone and now BV and the Vic clubs are doing what they have to in order to get a new comp off the ground in very little time.

I'm sure you can appreciate BV aren't in an easy spot and are looking after their member clubs which last time i checked was there charter and not to worry about SA/NSW or Tassie clubs hence why BA should have had some provisions for this fall out

Reply #707216 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

SEABL teams have no issue with the interstate teams by the way!

With BV running and comp and existing Big V teams wanting into the top division which might push those interstate clubs out plus trying to work through travel equalization etc which might force teams out. (Think about the less financial vic SEABL teams who would prefer not to have the additional costs!!)

Believe it or not trying to get this many moving pieces together in the space of 8 weeks isn't easy!

Reply #707217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travel equalisation? Seriously that option isn't on the agenda. Long discarded. "Anonymous" said "If they didn't then they would have entered Big V instead." Wrong again. The competition proposed has nothing to do with Big V. It's a level above the Big V which is why Basketball Victoria wants some Seabl clubs gone.

Reply #707234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL not the only discussions BA having, also looking at changing age groups to be in-line with worlds. Time extension could be for this.

Applications for " Premier " Division and all other Big V Divisions close this week. Seems like the deal done to me.

Reply #707276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie left off the map again it seems?

Reply #707307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just so you are all aware Paul Maley did not have anything to do with the decison. It was entirely the Basketball Australia Board !

Reply #707335 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Anon so the competitions manager had nothing to do or made no recommendations to the board about the competitions in his portfolio?

Seems odd!

Reply #707337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interstate teams are welcome to join the league, but it is primarily a BV-run, Vic-based league. Have not heard how many EOIs were received from interstate clubs.

They must be an association.
They must have their state body's approval.
They must have both men and women teams.
It sounds like they must pay their own travel costs.

Have to think that Vic clubs will make it tough for an interstate team to come in as their travel costs increase too. But there are no clubs at this stage, so I have no idea who is making the decisions.

I wouldn't be surprised if interstate teams are asked to pay for all interstate travel - them going to Vic AND Vic teams coming to them.

Reply #707338 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The interstate travel costs are what i'm told was the biggest push back onto interstate teams as mentioned above together with certain interstate clubs then having to fund a womens program making it tough.

Reply #707347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the best second tier comp in the country will by f—led totally, just as the competition was at its best and the nbl is taking off. We no it all makes sense.

Reply #707348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Equalisation cost for SEABL was high $60k

Entry few for the new league will be $30k per club (one mens and one womens teams).

Big V Entry as closer to $15k combined for a mens and a womens team

Reply #707350 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Any vitriol should be sent towards BA, so feel free to email them (details are on BA website!)

I've emailed them with my thoughts on this poorly planned decision and its ramifications as i loved the Mount, Tassie & Canberra road trips.

I don't blame BV for running a vic ceteric comp as lets be frank thats what they are meant to do and BA not approving on giving the SEABL back to the clubs!

Prefer SEABL was just given back to the member clubs and approved by BA which would make all this alot less messy

Reply #707351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travel, Travel, Travel...yep I am only a supporter but I am hanging for a Vic competition. So I do not have to travel.

Missed the championship game because of travel .

P.S about 40 Supercat supporters made the trip to Tassie. Please remember in all of this we supporters pay memberships, buy the apparel and follow our teams to away games where we buy a beer and bucket of chips and chuck money into raffles. No haters please but as a supporter bring it on

Reply #707357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interstate clubs haven't been given the opportunity to apply yet.

Reply #707360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart Chargers have joined the NZ NBL starting next season.

Reply #707408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. That deserves a new thread.

Reply #707438 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:35 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754