Luke
Years ago

NBL Round 1 Review

What are everyone's thoughts?

What a round, possibly game of the year in the first round, most of the other games were great to watch as well, strong crowds apart from the Hawks and the Broadcast is getting better as well

First Ever ad has to go before next week, scoreboard was still not working on screen three games in and some of the hosts need some work

Overall a great start to the season, should be a good one..

Topic #44046 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are the best balanced team after round 1 pretty much got every box ticked and still have a import slot open

Reply #708590 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

The overall quality of the league has fallen imo

Reply #708592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it goes without saying that Cedric Jackson is past his prime, he looks old and slow. Wont be surprised if the Hawks replace him like Melbourne did in 2016

Reply #708596 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think we saw a couple of good games with Melbourne vs. Illawarra, and Sydney vs. Adelaide. Melbourne vs. New Zealand wasn't too bad as well.

I couldn't be bothered to continue watching Brisbane and Cairns, and that will probably be my attitude towards those teams for the season.

The First Ever ad started out as quirky, and I kind of liked it, and then it played again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And then I think I lost a night of sleep because that noise kept haunting me. It has to go. First Ever isn't going to become a "thing" and I hope they recognize that sooner rather than later.

The broadcasts have improved, with a special effort obviously being made for the 9Go games, which seem to be the ones where they show more of the pre-game entertainment and try to build an atmosphere. Also, I've noticed that 9Go has really bought in, their Twitter background is an NBL logo with Andrew Bogut, and they seemed to be posting consistently about the league.

They've also featured players on Nine shows, and I think having an NBL Sportsbet ad is a plus, despite it having Wortho on it.

I think the standard of basketball we are seeing is very good, but I make no bones about the fact that we've seen a marked drop in import quality and athleticism this season. If you look across the board you see athletic imports like Conger replaced with not-so athletic guys in Conklin, or Terrico White for Tokoto, or DJ Kennedy for Prather. it is a consistent trend across the league, and for me, it is troubling.

The basketball purist might dismiss this, but dunks and highlights matter when it comes to putting eyes on the league and making it a spectacle to watch. You're going to get more fans with a Prather dunk than you are a DJ kennedy lay up, regardless of whether the points add up the same.

This leads me to believe that there are financial troubles at NBL teams and perhaps even within the league itself. Some clubs have definitely tightened their purses on last season, despite the increase in crowd and sponsorship revenue. Andrew Bogut's name can only do so much for the league and I see the Bogut affect wearing thin very early. The league actually needs a James Ennis, it needs a Casey Prather, it needs a Josh Childress, it needs a Mitch Creek.

I can't help but feel like the league is tightening its purse on imports at the wrong time. I don't think the first season with 9Go is the time to be spending more on "solid" Aussies than spectacular imports. As it stands right now I feel like I am watching the 2013/14 NBL as opposed to the glory of last season, which truly must have been among the greatest ever.

Reply #708601 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Granted its only round one Perth look the early form team proving that preseason form means absolutely nothing.
Three of Melbourne, Adelaide, NZ and Sydney will join Perth in the playoffs.

Reply #708603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My revised power rankings after seeing teams play in games that mean something:

1) Sydney
2) Perth
3) Melbourne
4) Adelaide
5) Cairns
6) New Zealand
7) Brisbane
8) Illawarra

Your thoughts?

Reply #708604 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Me, Terrico White is an athlete. He has shown more poise and skill in two games then Tokoto did in a year. I think you are overreacting mightily suggesting the leavue has tightened its pirse strings and that the imports we have a re below par. Sure the bullets, hawks have made poor decisions but overall they are fine.

Reply #708605 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Agree that atm Perth look the most balanced, GO's coverage is great on social media and shows such as the TODAY show, just wish the actual broadcast was in HD, it does not look pretty on a 50 inch.

Yeah there is a sense of athleticism that is missing, hopefully as the imports get more settled in, we start to see more highlight plays. Can imagine guys like Bowen surprising fans with some plays as he was quite impressive for the Kings.

Reply #708606 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"1) Sydney
2) Perth
3) Melbourne
4) Adelaide
5) Cairns
6) New Zealand
7) Brisbane
8) Illawarra

Your thoughts?"

LOL errr, what?

How can you put Sydney at the top when they lost their only game?

Reply #708614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney's talent is still right up there and they were in control of that game until mid way through the fourth. Just some teething problems but they're still the team to beat

Reply #708630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a few teething issues, like offence, defence and coaching. But apart from that, they look solid.

Reply #708633 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Sydney didnt look very good to me in any area of the game

Take Randle out for a lesser import PG and the Kings lose that game by a lot.

My power rankings would be

Perth
Melbourne
New Zealand
Adelaide
Cairns
Sydney
Brisbane
Illawarra

Reply #708640 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Perth has looked better than they have in years. Their offence especially hasn't looked this good for years, dare i say just rhe offence is better than some of their recent championships.

Reply #708657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why take Randle out? He is one of the primary reasons they are high in my power rankings.

They are allowed to lose a game. With that much talent, once they get it together they will be very difficult to beat. You have to respect that.

Randle is the best PG in the league and Bogut is the best centre. That's a great start.

Reply #708658 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Anon you may not be wrong but both randle and bogut have huge weaknesses, adelaide and joey exposed them. The question with Sydney is if gaze can put them in a position to maximise their strengths and minimise their weaknesses. Atm it looks like a strong no. Don't get me wrong talent wins games, teams win championships.

Reply #708661 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

My point being, Kings played poorly apart from Randle, he covered up a lot that is wrong with the kings with his individual brilliance.

People may rave about Boguts great moments, but overall DJ smashed him, so not sure he is the best C in the NBL, needs to prove it for me, but he is the biggest name.

Kings definitely do not belong anywhere near the top of power rankings, how about win a game or look close to it first.

Reply #708663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So from what we saw this weekend it's perth then daylight.

Reply #708664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys make a solid point - that their weaknesses were exposed. But Adelaide is the only team that can really do that. Who else has a deadly shooter playing centre? Boone is not going to cause Bogut any issues, and I doubt that Jervis/Brandt will either. Hodgson/Egwu/Bairstow, Jawai/Lowe, Ogilvy, Shawn Long, these are mainly interior or traditional centres. Bogut should have the edge over all of them.

The other issue Sydney has is that they are a bit short in the back court with Randle, Lisch and Adnam. And again, Adelaide is the worst match-up for them because they start Sobey and Moore. Sobey is more a shooting guard size so can have his way. Sobey and Moore both don't mind mixing it up by attacking the hoop too, whereas other teams like Melbourne and Perth have smaller guards who shoot more jumpshots.

And even playing their toughest possible matchup, the Kings were in control mid-way through the fourth before a late lapse in concentration. I'd say they'll be right up there and having them as the favourite is not unreasonable.

Reply #708665 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My pre season comment about Perth being the underrated dog out of the three big dogs is looking pretty spot on.

Still clearly major question marks over United and Sydney at this stage.

Perth look like the same old well oiled machine. Anyone foolish enough to tip them outside the four is already feeling silly.

It's early days. But we're probably looking at a very competitive season, yet again stronger in overall talent than the year before.

The first few weeks of a new season are so great.

Reply #708667 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Its not only the half court, sydney bigd got exposed in transition, bogut can still be exposed in the pick and roll as well. Lisch has lost a step, if moore can blow buy him most guards can. Your guard size comment again is limited, when sydneys guards get caught switching the pick and roll how well can they cope? How well can their defence as a whole recover to remove the mismatch, these are largely system questions and so far sydney doesn't have one.

Reply #708672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looked to me that both Kevin Lisch and Casper Ware have lost a step in pace and struggled beat there man off the dribble, if this is the case Sydney and Melbourne might not have the season all thought.

Great first round of basketball from a supporter of the game and not teams.

Reply #708677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, people are really getting carried away with the Wildcats-Hawks result. That's my takeaway from the first round.

Reply #708705 | Report this post

michael crumpler  
Years ago

I was at tha kings game and brother it was darn terrible

Way too many 3pt attmpts and not enuff simple goals to sneek ahead

Take Randall out of tha game and the kings lose by 15+ pts easy

Scard that we have to go to adelaide then new zealdn this week 4 too more tough games.

Kings 0-3 by this tyme next week!

No way they are top of powr rankings man

Reply #708712 | Report this post

michael crumpler  
Years ago

oh and Bogut looking very very lazy on tha court

Looking like maybe just a payday and no heart

Kins need to step it upo on Friday night vs Adelaide ! Again!

then off to new zleand , man what a rubbish schedule they have

kings to win first game vs taipans in sydney

Reply #708713 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

Not much interest on Hoops in the season chances for Bullets, Hawks, Taipans.
Probably premature judgement.
But one prediction I'd venture: (Ro)melo Trimble won't be back with the Taipans next season.

Reply #708720 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'm a Perth fan and know that the Hawks were gassed, in fact I loaded up on the Perth line during the OT at -6.5, easy money (also got on NZ +7.5, more easy money). They took advantage like they should and pummelled them. What impressed me most about both their games was that they score 99 and 101, I'd never imagine Perth averaging 100pts in the 40 minute era, small sample size, but Norton looks so much better than Kenny out there, not afraid to score or take on the defence. Martin is going to be very fresh this season with Norton taking the reign's like he is. Terrico is living up to the hype, does it so effortlessly and shows little emotion which is a bit different for the Cats after Prather, Ennis, Beal, but I think that's good for us, takes a ton of pressure off Cotton. Kay is an animal on both ends. Brandt/Jervis 1-2 punch is looking great too, however be interesting to see how they go against athletic bigs like Long for NZ. Pretty happy with our start, but it's a long season so not getting ahead of myself. 1 injury can derail us. I'm also saving all the Corey Perth hate tweets ready to send them back in force at the end of the season. :D

Reply #708728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As usual the more things change the more they stay the same.
You can call Gleeson a flog or anything you like but
1) he knows how to coach
2) he knows how to put a basketball team together
3) he has the funds to do it
4) he has the biggest supporter base in the country
5) he has very good assistant coaches
6) he uses all the above to his advantage
At this early stage of the season if they don't get injuries they are going to be hard to stop. Great start to season but think everyone will be chasing Perth.

Reply #708730 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

"They are allowed to lose a game. With that much talent, once they get it together they will be very difficult to beat. You have to respect that."

What talent apart from Randle, Kicket and Newley?

I've been watching Bogut all preseason, and I thought he was saving the real beast for the 1st game. But I now think he is a washed-up overrated over opinionated player. Please Kings, don't run the clip about Bogut before the game. It is an embarrassment to the Kings and the NBA. Get the rebound, rise up and stuff it - non of this 5 tip-in attempts rubbish. He is too slow and can not gaurd DJ in the post or perimeter.

Lisch has lost it.

Wear is useless.

Gaze no idea: the Dengs would have been effective against DJ. No time out: 10-0 run in final quarter.

Jeff Wrong Again: As I have said all preseason: Kings need another 2 imports in the 3 and 4, the likes of Prather and Wesley. Atm there is no effective scorers in the paint... all outside shots.

Reply #708732 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Not sure if anyone noticed towards the end of the Kings game, but Gaze had a timeout and he was mic'd up. Explained a play and Bogut looked at him and asked him to repeat what he said. The whole time Bogut had this look of disgust on his face while walking back onto the court. Can't believe the bookies had Gaze favourite for CoY! Said it before, and I'll say it again, it'll end up being all Randle and Kickert holding this team together, both Lisch and Bogut are past their used by dates. Best thing I saw out of that game was Bowen, looks like he'll be in the NBA in the not too distant future.

Another thing I noticed was Majok Deng...he was having circles run around him by Vague and Bowen, never noticed how much of a liability on defence he is. Guess it's because he's so long he tends to get a few blocks here and there.

So far it's a 3 way race for MVP with Cotton, Randle and Trimble. I don't think Ware is going to put up numbers like these guys due to the firepower they have at United, Cotton may also fall off the pace due to how much slack the rest of their team is picking up now.

Reply #708734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings need players that can play defence, from there your offence will work, hasn't changed since JVG has been there.

Reply #708735 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree with Snooch. Quality looks to have dipped this year.

But could just be first round teething issues.

Its awfully frustrating trying to watch a game where it feels like there are fouls twice for every 1.5 to 2 possessions.

Reply #708737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I hate bagging refs but as a neutral observer some of the calls were woeful. You get smashed,no call, you play straight up D, blow the pea out the whistle. It all works out as I don't believe they favour sides it’s just frustrating to watch.

Reply #708739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do they have to be called "power rankings" and simply not Rankings Thoughts?

Reply #708742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut will be lucky to even make the NBL first team
I rate Boone, Long, DJ, Wiley, Conklin and Ogilvy as way better chances than him

Reply #708745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why do they have to be called "power rankings" and simply not Rankings
Thoughts?"

Power rankings refers to a different thing than the actual ladder. That is the point of it.

Reply #708746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut had 14 boards and 4 blocks. He missed some makeable shots around the hoop. It is laughable to say those other bigs will be better than him. The only question is whether he can stay healthy. If so, he will be better than every big man

Reply #708781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I keep hearing "if you take out Randle...". He's the best offensive player in the league. Of course if you took him out the Kings wouldn't be a contender. But with him in, they are very dangerous.

Reply #708783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut plays good defence in the post and on the drives earning him those 4 blocks but those 14 rebounds were well padded by his several missed tip ins (2/9 from the field)
I suppose ultimately we will see what coaches and captains think at the end of the season but there are some good bigs in the league this year and I just can't see him outdoing them if he is gonna play like this against them

Reply #708788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also note that Bogut was guarding Adelaide's highest scorer (DJ)

Reply #708789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, "guarding" him

Reply #708790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So im just gonna assume that niggle at the language is because you have no legitimate points to make?

Reply #708792 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I can't believe all the people writing Bogut off after one game.

Yes, he struggled to defend DJ. But let’s see how Bogut goes against some similar opponents before writing him off (Boone, Pledger, Jawai, Brandt, Jervis, Long, Bairstow, Hodgson).

Despite his troubles guarding DJ, I thought he was the most influential King on the floor other than Randle. He showed that his rim protection, rebounding and passing is at a high level.

Lisch and Newley are more concerning for the Kings in my view. Both look to have declined significantly in the past couple of years.

Wear is replaceable. And they could use their 3rd import spot if any Aussies get injured too.

Reply #708795 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And other than individually, it's concerning that their offense looked disjointed at times. You can't rely on Randle's brilliance bailing you out. They'll need a better offensive structure.

Reply #708796 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Bogut is going to struggle against any big that can put it on the floor, especially if they also have a jumper. DJ is probably the worst matchup for him in the entire NBL.

Reply #708797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They'll need a better offensive structure."

so you're saying they should invest in a coach then.

Reply #708799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again like Melbourne Sydney would've been better with an import like Wiley from the 76ers, his agility could trouble DJ, where kings got wear and kickert, not defensive beasts.

Reply #708801 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I feel like Deng Deng might be a guy who can be moulded into that role - an athletic guy who can cover face up 4/5s on the perimeter. Defense was his biggest question mark in the offseason so it's a risk, but it would have been worth a shot on Saturday IMO.

Reply #708808 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I dont think people are writing the kings off

Just pointing out its a bit rich to say they should be top of power rankings and that Bogut is going to be the best big and take them to the title. Its only 1 game, but outside of Randle and some moments of Bogut they didnt look great, so they have a lot of work to do.

It could happen, but many, including me have their doubts.

Other factors, coaching - gaze is the worst in the NBL and going on TV saying the players coach themselves is just dumb, especially when you see how bad they were structure wise at both ends.

I also think Lisch and Newley and even Bogut and Kickert have started to feel the effects of father time, and I doubt we are going to see prime form from any of them, and you could argue if some of them are good enough to play a big role on a contender any more.

Time will tell what happens with the kings.

Reply #708810 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

"Bogut had 14 boards and 4 blocks. He missed some makeable shots around the hoop. It is laughable to say those other bigs will be better than him. The only question is whether he can stay healthy. If so, he will be better than every big man"

LOL. 14 Rebounds? 5-6 were missed tip ins!!!

If he is to gain any respectability, he needs to beast up and dominate the paint - get the rebound and stuff it - none of this 5 missed tip-in rubbish. He needs to post up and go to work and get to basket or draw the foul - none of this running away hook shot that misses.

Otherwise it's a long season for the Kings, with effectively 1 import in Randle.

Reply #708817 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

"Bogut had 14 boards and 4 blocks. He missed some makeable shots around the hoop. It is laughable to say those other bigs will be better than him. The only question is whether he can stay healthy. If so, he will be better than every big man"

LOL. 14 Rebounds? 5-6 were missed tip ins!!!

If he is to gain any respectability, he needs to beast up and dominate the paint - get the rebound and stuff it - none of this 5 missed tip-in rubbish. He needs to post up and go to work and get to basket or draw the foul - none of this running away hook shot that misses.

If his legs are not holding up, then play a hard 15 minute game, and get Deng Deng and Deng Acouth in for energy and defence. At the current rate, he looks old and tired trying to play the full game.

Otherwise it's a long season for the Kings, with effectively 1 import in Randle.

Reply #708818 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I take it you've never actually seen Bogut play before.

Reply #708820 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's the Kings' thinking with bringing Kickert off the bench behind Wear? No bench scoring otherwise? I would've thought Kickert-Bogut was a good combo mixing O and D and they should adjust somewhere else, like Newley with the second unit. Start Bowen in that case?

Bench looks even weaker if starters don't fire. Take Bowen's impact from that 36ers game and they wouldn't have looked any better.

Reply #708822 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It's still only one game but I am seeing the same mistakes from Gaze.

The Sixers run should have been stopped by a time out much earlier, Gaze should have recognised the same offence wasn't working and drawn something else up.

Reply #708826 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Def not the same Bogut - lost speed and elevation.

Reply #708860 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #708867 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

"Studs and Duds: Round 1"

He forgot to put Randle in the Studs.

Reply #708876 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bogut's rebound stats may be inflated.

He also blocked 4 shots and dished out 4 assists.

Question- and I don't know the answer- but how many times did any NBL big record 4 blocks and 4 assists last season?

I'd be fairly certain it's extremely rare.

Reply #708882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You can't rely on Randle's brilliance bailing you out. They'll need a better offensive structure."

Randle has been the best scorer in the league pretty much since he got here. He's been doing it a few years now mate, he's no fluke. You CAN rely on his brilliance.

Reply #708889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not in a semi final series when you're 1-0 up vs. Illawarra. #hogmode

Reply #708892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Randle has been the best scorer in the league pretty much since he got here. He's been doing it a few years now mate, he's no fluke. You CAN rely on his brilliance."

Yeah I am pretty sure that the reason they paid a shitload of money to get him to Sydney is precisely because of how he performs on the court.

Reply #708898 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Ooh a randle debate, you can rely on his brillance, for a good home and away record.... elite player, but a team with a good system will always beat the best individual overall. Any questions his name is lebron, the team is gsw.

Reply #708902 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

No one's against individual brilliance, full stop.

Just individual brilliance without enough structure around it, and looking disjointed enough to score 80 odd points against the high paced 36ers.

Reply #708920 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lots of ups and downs in the first round, I wouldn't be rushing to any judgments just yet as they seem to get outdated by the next game! Also, White and Kennedy have got hops.

Reply #708930 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754