Kidsports
Years ago

Rd 2 - Bullets @ Perth - 12pm AWST

Interested to see what the crowd for this game is like?

Any predictions?

Sub - 9000 fans through the gate I'm thinking.

Perth should continue their winning ways.

Topic #44089 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will easily be 11000 there. The midday game situation has been massively blown out of proportion.

Reply #709699 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Crowd number could be down if Dazz is busy attending a home open.

Perth should get this one easily.

Reply #709701 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I sit with 5 other people. 4 of them won't be able to make it until half time at the earliest.
The early tipoff time will affect a lot of families.

Reply #709703 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

It hasn't been "blown out of Proportion" it is a massive PITA. Really disruptive.
Weekends are my time to do stuff that takes a while, and breaking the day right in the middle is really annoying.
I'll be there, and hopefully not late. But there are others that work on Saturdays.

Will be interesting to see the effect. Ie how many physically can't make it, as opposed to those merely pissed off.

Gotta love the message form the Wildcats reminding us of the new bag rules, and pointing out that the doors open an hour before the game. If there is another fiasco at the doors, this could be a very short season for me.

Reply #709710 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Time will hit families and those involved in jnr basketball especially. Thank goodness for the
Clear and obvious bag reminder this time, hopefully sorts out the gate mess that was last week. In terms of the game, cats should habe too much firepower, but brisbane showed they can play very well on the road. There won't be many easy games this season, Sydney aside.... jokes.

Reply #709711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand why people sitting at doors 17-22 don't come in the side door. There is never a line.

Reply #709714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even when there is a long line it always moves very fast (apart from last week with the A4 bag chaos!!) but thanks for the tip about the side door.
I hope its a good game today but not too good. On paper the bullets look very strong!!

Reply #709755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

30 minutes in and no sign of the First Ever ad. SO GOOD.

Reply #709792 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh Gee. WtF

Reply #709794 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm genuinely surprised they haven't gotten rid of Gee yet he looks pretty rude.

Reply #709798 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Cotton feeling it.

Reply #709799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee looks so slow and no touch, cats will win this by 40 the way it's going.

Reply #709800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane should get rid all their imports, there is better out their.

Reply #709803 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Bullets thoughts from the 1st half.

- Egwu is a terrible stiff.

- Agree with others, Gee looks awful for someone of his 'standing'.

- Relying on Cadee to create offence for others or himself will not work.

As an aside, the white uniforms could do with more colour, they look fairly plain as is.

Reply #709804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee isn't a point guard, trying hard but this isn’t some soft Asian team there playing against. Perth are quality.
I think the uniforms are fine.

Reply #709809 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

My honest opinion:

- Brisbane cut Alonzo Gee, Egwu, and Stephen Holt.
- Go after Mitch Creek, and add an import PG (probably bring back Trice after he was waived by Bucks).

PG- Trice (Import)/Gibson
SG- Gliddon/Cadee
SF-Creek/Terangi
PF-Bairstow/Vukona
C-Hodgson/Magnay

That would be a nice team!

Reply #709812 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Pure filth from brisbane. Out here trying to hit and pummel people not play basketball... refs happy to watch

Reply #709816 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Brisbane is garbage and Perth is just slightly more effective garbage. Both the most boring teams in the league and do no favors to ratings or the 9Go NBL product. Cadee isn't a starting level point guard. Gliddon is overrated as hell. Gee has completely lost it and seems disinterested. And I don't think Lemanis is that much a better coach than Gaze, partly due to his puzzling picks for team line up.

Reply #709818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl deep in the doghouse hey

Reply #709820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the delicious irony of this statement coming from a Perth fan:

"Pure filth from brisbane. Out here trying to hit and pummel people not play basketball... refs happy to watch"

Reply #709821 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Won't be surprised if Fearne is back coaching either Brisbane or Kings next season! hahaha

Reply #709823 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Not every game can be a classic.

Reply #709824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talking up Terangi, watching different game to me. Gliddon is a good player but not consistent enough to be your main man. Another spoon looks to be on the way.

Reply #709825 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bit of a yawnfest, but that will happen when the opposition don't really show up.

Reply #709826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naturalise Cotton cut Lisch from the boomers

Reply #709827 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We've already got one Patty Mills in the Boomers!

Reply #709828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With guys like Gee, Holt, Egwu, Wear, CJackson and Moore from NZ I really wonder if its worth having 3 imports per team.

Reply #709835 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I can't stop laughing at Homicide's suggestion that Perth will miss top 4.

Reply #709837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does Gleeson keep saying 'they have 8 national team reps' when talking about Brisbane? I read it in pre-game article, during the game and now in the post game conference.
It’s like he is trying to claim Brisbane are better than they are.
His own team has 6 by using the same context, and Hiejima doesn’t really count for Brisbane so they are basically on par.

Reply #709838 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Hmm, not a bad game, but result never in doubt. Brissy looked a bit more intent after half-time, Perth a bit flatter but did what was necessary.

You know you're having a good game when Martin hits 4 from 6 outside.
Steindl missed 3 and was benched. Not sure that will help his confidence.

Cotton carried the team today.

Not sure why Jervis got only 11 minutes? Yes early foul trouble, but surely you give him a chance to get past that?

Reply #709843 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

NB: Seats around me were perhaps a little slower to fill, but otherwise seemed a regular crowd. Some gaps in the seating, but I'm not sure any more than usual. Be interesting to see the actual number.

Reply #709845 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Thought cotton was quiet entertaining to watch myself. Gleeson looked like he wanted something and wasn't getting it, kept the same guys in. Brisbane looked horrible, they are a terribly constructed team.

Reply #709846 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Thought cotton was quiet entertaining to watch myself. Gleeson looked like he wanted something and wasn't getting it, kept the same guys in. Brisbane looked horrible, they are a terribly constructed team.

Reply #709847 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Crowd number? After all the doom and gloom

Reply #709850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane national team players:
- Cadee
- Gliddon
- Bairstow
- Hodgson
- Vukona
- Te Rangi
- Gibson
- Hiejima

Reply #709853 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Crowd: 11500. Not too bad after all considering all the controversy over the start time.

Reply #709858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #709861 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Brisbane's list of national team players is misleading,they have three who have played at Olympics or World Cup which is the real test. Around the league off top of my head:

Adelaide 0
Brisbane 3
Cairns 3
Illawarra 1
Melbourne 3
New Zealand 2
Perth 1
Sydney 4

Unfortunately for the Bullets two of theirs are past their best and the third is rusty as hell.

Reply #709863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder at what point Brandt starts to grumble about signing a new deal and then being recruited over and now playing 15 mins a game off the bench (probably got more mins than he would have if it wasn't a blow out too). I'm not sure why Jervis is starting over him.

Reply #709865 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Brandt is coming back from the injury at the Blitz (I think?), I'd say they're managing his minutes until he's 100%. From memory he was starting in the pre-season.

Reply #709868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sub - 9000 fans through the gate I'm thinking.

There will easily be 11000 there."

I called it. The midday start was blown out of proportion.

Reply #709873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah no surprise. Perth people love a whinge. They're a dramatic lot both on and off the basketball court.

Reply #709876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Brandt is a better fit with the second unit and if he's playing will he can finish the games with the starters.

Jervis starting has worked well.

Reply #709880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wonder at what point Brandt starts to grumble about signing a new deal and then being recruited over and now playing 15 mins a game off the bench (probably got more mins than he would have if it wasn't a blow out too). I'm not sure why Jervis is starting over him."

Still working him back to full match fitness after injury. Played 8min in game 1, 13min game 2, 16min today. Will probably start over Jervis in the next game or two.

Reply #709881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was getting worried about the crowd right before tip off with so many empty seats still, but it filled out a fair bit after another 5-10min.

Would have obviously been bigger if it was an evening game, but still a good turn out and solid atmosphere.

Reply #709882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Mills vs Cotton. If both were Australian who would you take? Obviously Mills has found his place in the NBA & Cotton didn't stick but if they switched spots would Cotton do any worse in the NBA or Mills be any more effective in NBL?

Reply #709886 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Sub - 9000 fans through the gate I'm thinking.

There will easily be 11000 there."

I called it. The midday start was blown out of proportion.
The 11,599 includes members who didn't attend.

Reply #709890 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Re Mills vs Cotton. If both were Australian who would you take?"

Mills has a huge advantage because he has so much FIBA experience. Would be very tough for Cotton to bridge that gap. That said, with playmakers like Ingles, Simmons and Delly who can guard other spots you could probably afford to go with two undersized SGs if you wanted.

Probably the biggest challenge for Cotton would be improving defensively to international standard and learning how to defend the different styles of opposition.

Reply #709899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, makes sense in an international setting.

How about pro ball wise. Would Mills be a more effective NBL player or Cotton NBA player? I view them roughly similar - what would each players strengths be over the other?

Reply #709900 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think what makes Cotton so effective in the NBL is being able to play as an undersized SG. Having Martin alongside him allows him to avoid the toughest defensive match-ups.

Mills has developed himself as a back-up PG in the NBA and worked hard on his strength and D, so he's found a niche. Cotton isn't nearly as effective as a PG in my mind.

In his short stint in the NBL Patty had his struggles against the top teams, but that was back in the day when you could manhandle guards pretty badly, with the way it's called today, and with his development over time, Patty would be a handful now.

Reply #709901 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Woeful game to watch. Brisbane are a mess, remind me of Fearne's Taipans most years where each made FG just seems way too difficult to come by. Gee was a Kings-esque signing - a guy with NBA pedigree who is long past it - but you might be able to get away with him if your other two imports aren't Holt (who should never have been re-signed) and Egwu. I feel like they overspent on their Aussie backcourt to get two guys who are best when spotting up, without the other players on board to get them looks.

Reply #709905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fairly lack lustre game at the Jungle today. Got to see Cotton' hops and pending Trimbles performance tomorrow, you'd say Cotton is leading MVP at this early stage. I don't feel like we got out of 2nd gear today so looking forward to see what we serve up against United. If we win, I think it cements us as the title favourite, earl days, but the way we're playing as a team is miles ahead of the other teams at this stage from watching other teams bickering with each other on the court. Biggest difference this year to last and the pressure off Cotton to score all the points, Kay has been a huge help, Terrico has been solid, and Norton is a much better back up PG than Kenny.

Reply #709907 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Hard to estimate numbers, but I would be surprised if that 11,500 number is real. There were certainly patches of empty seats.

And again, just because people turned up doesn't mean all's good. A lady near us was absolutely livid at the shit she had to go through to get the day off work.

I will say, that whilst I got there quite early, the bag situation seemed improved.
But I noticed they were still inspecting bags as though trying to find contraband Tic-Tacs. And even for us, the dude had to obstruct us as he asked "do you have any bags?"

Yes Brandt is on the comeback from injury. But he' still playing more minutes than Jervis today.

Reply #709908 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hard to estimate numbers, but I would be surprised if that 11,500 number is real. There were certainly patches of empty seats.

I will say, that whilst I got there quite early, the bag situation seemed improved.
But I noticed they were still inspecting bags as though trying to find contraband Tic-Tacs.
Someone else in my row wasn't allowed to bring their cushion in. Left a few minutes into the game and won't be back ever again.

It's easier to get on a plane these days, and even that's absurdly restrictive. It's insane.

Reply #709911 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

That crowd figure can't be right, as AD said big patches of empty seats.
Reported larger crowd than last week, but last week the top level was open.

Reply #709913 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That crowd figure can't be right, as AD said big patches of empty seats.

Reply #709915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were not massive empty patches at all, it was obviously not a sell out but it was easily a normal sized crowd.

Reply #709932 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

All the dramas mostly sorted.
Game was ok, albeit a bit too comfortable for the Cats. Really liking their depth this season. Even Hire managed to hit a 3.
Not much for the highlight reels.

I am surprised that Jervis and Brandt played only 27 minutes between them, whilst we seem to be overplaying Kay.

Reply #709937 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Cotton putting terangi on skates was brilliant. Also pretty sure no one expected white to pass down to jervis. Despite homicides "3rd import" cry perth is deeper amd more balanced than they have been in years. Id say kay is on par with knight, norton a huge step up from kenny and white a better floor spacer than Prather, though prather has him for defence and slashing, playmaking tba as prather had his struggles there early on. It's a long season and there shouldn't be too many easy wins but Perth has looked very good so far.

Reply #709941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth haven't looked anything special to me so far. They are 3-0 so yes their fans can crow all they like but 2 of those wins were against trash and the first one was a 50/50 game against a tired opponent. Once they play some decent teams we will get a read on what they are really made of. If they are going to live and die by Martin's 3 point shooting then all I can say is good luck.

Reply #709942 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Dunno why people say Adel were more tired in game 1. Both teams came back from the states on the same day, Perth played 1 extra game while there then travelled to Adelaide.

Reply #709943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowing about team balance and the style of play. Don't know why anons think a team that played less games, spent less time away from home and had all their luggage was more tired... the crowing is not about win loss, it’s positivity because the spacing and cotton reliance issues of the past are not looking like problems. Beating Adelaide at home is no easy feat... but yeah Sydney is by far the best looking team so far...

Reply #709944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, Adelaide being more 'tired' is one of the worst excuses I've heard in a while

Reply #709945 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Perth haven't looked anything special to me so far."

In some ways I'd agree, although Cotton is clearly a class above.

But the great thing is the depth. We're not cringing every time the 2nd team comes on, nor panicking every time there is a whiff of injury.

Reply #710069 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

I wouldn't say Perth are relying on Martin to hit 3's either... We will take them without relying on them.

I still feel White is too passive on the floor, I know its in his character to be a quiet guy, but he looks uninterested and doesnt assert himself enough.

This weekend will be the real test I think.

Reply #710295 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I still feel White is too passive on the floor, I know its in his character to be a quiet guy, but he looks uninterested and doesnt assert himself enough. "

I notice one very interesting passage of play with White.

He had the ball in the corner, passed off, got the ball back and took the shot which rimmed. I was just thinking "that won't help his confidence".
On the next shot (same phase) he went in hard and got the rebound, muscled his way to the hoop, got the contact AND made the shot.

He's averaging 16 points at 52% so far, so I guess wait and see how he does against tougher opponents.

Reply #710305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754