Hooper1902
Years ago

When do Kings cut their losses and get rid of Gaze?

These guys have had arguable the best squad the last 2/3 Years, numerous ex NBA talent/ former MVPS/ Boomers squad members yet there still seems to be zero cohesion year in year out.

How many more p*ss poor performances before Gaze gets the nudge?

Topic #44226 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Now

Reply #714158 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The Kings ownership have said Gaze has until Year 3 to make the playoffs.

This is Year 3, so he is still within that timeframe to reach that target.

Reply #714159 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Gaze wont be fired while within his contract. He is too much of an icon. They literally hired the most un-fire-able person in Australian basketball. Losses or not, the PR would be horrendous. He will see out his 3 years and probably just wont have his contract renewed.

As for being the strongest squad in the past 3 years, I don't really believe that. Their starting 5 is strong, but aged. Their bench is hot garbage. I dare say Melbourne United and the Adelaide 36ers were both deeper and better teams on paper last year than Sydney this year. You could maybe even throw Perth into that as well. A good starting 5 does not a good team make.

Sydney are overhyped. Bogut is a factor but as most teams have proven, his influence can be negated. There is a lot of sizzle in Sydney and a lot of things that sound good, but the substance is lacking. They'll make the playoffs this year but they wont win it all, and I doubt they'll be in the grand final unless there are some imports dropped, some imports picked up, and some big changes.

Reply #714162 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you can't take Randle/Lisch/Newley/Kickert/Bogut to Melbourne and beat United without Goulding and with Ware shooting 3/13, you have to wonder...

Reply #714163 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They should definently be performing better than what they have with the roster they have.

But I do think people fall into the trap of overexaggerating their roster - they have some big names but I think some of them are past their prime/fallen off a little.

We have to judge their roster on how they perform and not on a reputational basis.

No question they should be better though. No doubt.

Reply #714164 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Crafty Coach Gaze keeping his real tricks up his sleeve until the playoffs ;)

Reply #714165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"These guys have had arguable the best squad the last 2/3 Years"

I don't think their team comes close to being one of the best squads in the past few years.

Reply #714168 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree, their best five is probably the best ever, but the next six are all unknowns at this stage.

Reply #714172 | Report this post

notsure  
Years ago

have always been willing to give Gaze a go, but am now starting to move with the majority who believe he has No Idea.

His subbing just leaves me bewildered. Against Melb to start the 4th quarter (when the game was till on the line) it was a bench lineup.

Bowen i think has moved past Newly, but is not getting the court time. Wear is getting too much court time.

Sadly , i think his coaching days are numbered.

Reply #714173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings starters with kickert starting are very good but ageing stars in lisch and Newley not quite firing, Randle also needs a lot of ball which can starve the rest starters. There are a few names on the bench and Bowen looking ok but was locked down on d last night so struggled but the rest oh boy, adnam okish but again last night 2 from 9, not the greatest defender,and the rest should be dp.

Reply #714175 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Shit sticks together.
JVG can't replace Gaze, because the first thing any decent coach will do is put his foot down and demand JVG stop recruiting crabs and hasbeens.

At a guess, I'd say they'll last still the end of the season.
JVG will probably save himself by throwing Gaze under the bus.

Reply #714178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On paper their starting five is great but they certainly aren't playing like the best ever. I’d take Martin, Beal, Ennis, Redhage and Knight over this Kings team.

Reply #714179 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

JVG to hire Joey, Brooks to be next 36ers coach

Reply #714181 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"On paper their starting five is great but they certainly aren't playing like the best ever. I'd take Martin, Beal, Ennis, Redhage and Knight over this Kings team."

... or Martin, Cotton, Prather, McKay, Knight, or Jackson, Bruton, Abercrombie, Vukona, Wilkinson, or McDonald, Thomas, Tucker, Lampley, Anstey, or Bruton, Black, Ere, Rychart, Mackinnon, or ... you get my point!

But this Kings group is only four weeks in, and they have a weak point in Ware that is dragging them down. Let's reassess at season's end, they've made good defensive progress already.

Reply #714185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I get your point, if your point is that the Kings five is not the best ever.

Reply #714186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET you hit the nail on the head I think

Reply #714195 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I think so too - JvG will transition the Kings from his throwback Tigers days to his throwback Bullets era.

Reply #714197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can Brooks coach?

Reply #714200 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sixers HQ: °Who cares he's cheap!"

Reply #714201 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Lindsey Gaze on his deathbed would do a better job here...

Reply #714202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET,
Close but no cigar.

The fix is in place and all will be revealed when this season is over.

Reply #714204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JOey will do a CJ. Off overseas to the NBA and then turn up with the Kings (or Bullets as CJ did)

Reply #714219 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

The fix is in place and all will be revealed when this season is over.

Hahaha... a nice set up for a giant "I told you so even though I didn't tell you anything!" lol...

I said it on Day One... They will NOT sack the NBL GOAT no matter how bad he performs... The buzz around Sydney basketball was HUGE with his signing, moreso than anyone else and nearly as big as Bogues in all honesty, it really revitalised the city a bit, but the danger was always there being a rookie coach... They should have signed him as a management, media facing role... Most of the benefits, less of the risk, especially with Vickerman on board...

So while I don't think that they WILL sack him, the pressure is so much greater now with Bogues, so maybe there is a chance? Especially in the next few rounds where they will be facing both Adelaide and United again and Perth twice, it's a stretch to think that they will be maintaining a positive win/loss record... If they lose enough and Bogues cracks the shits? He's got one season left on his deal, Gaze doesn't...

I know it's the same old name, but bringing Goorj back is the only possibility that would drown out the media around dropping Gaze (or him quitting, which is more likely).

Reply #714231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way will Gaze sacked before the season ends, even if they are doing poorly. Van Groningen will protect him for as long as he can. If that means sacrificing Wear - which has been one of many dumb import decisions Van Groningen has made during the course of his time with the Kings - then that's exactly what they will do. If they lose in Adelaide, which is probable, Wear will be sacked the next day. He's not entirely to blame for the slow start, but as others have said, he's been a poor fit from day one.

Reply #714235 | Report this post

The big bopper  
Years ago

Hey guys it's Jerome not Gaze that's killing this team.

Reply #714414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha... a nice set up for a giant "I told you so even though I didn't tell you anything!" lol...

I know the offer has been made and my understanding is that it has been accepted. I can't say more without it being deleted again. But when I think about it, its actually kind of obvious.
But I will say this, if Gaze is sacked before the season is over then that will mean that I am wrong. (Unless maybe there is an interim coach...) and the replacement won't be announced until the entire NBL season is over... hint!

Reply #714417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Team HQ: "Are they willing to trade a washing machine for him?"

Reply #714433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next thing you know we are going to have owner, head coach and starting forward for the team all on one guy

Reply #714434 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

So an existing NBL coach likely to make the grand final... That would be a significant upgrade, but would it be worth writing off this season? Bogut's first and taking a huge risk... Only Bogut is contracted for next season, with Newls and Lisch both ending their 3yr deals... I know AB is a huge draw for players, so maybe they're hoping to start over without some obviously large contracts in Lisch and Newls?

Reply #714443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings will need to stock up on their pacifier supplies.

Reply #714478 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Yesterday already.

Reply #714797 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

My guess is that it lasts till the end of the season.
At the end of the day, somebody somewhere is selling somebody a bunch of porkies.
Maybe the owners don't know the NBL well enough to realise what a shit job JVG is doing, and that he is outspending most teams 2:1? Presumably they are swallowing some line about rebuilding.

End of Season, Gaze goes under the bus, or falls on his sword.

Would JVG appoint an existing coach like Joey?
He could certainly do the job, and I know they worked together before, but would JVG be able to control him?

Reply #714839 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754