Jack Toft
Years ago

Melbourne - Cairns Nov 11

It's hard to see Cairns putting up much resistance this game. This will be an opportunity for Melbourne to clear the bench early, with only the white flag being waved the only option to avoid total defeat.

Melbourne with too much artillery power should have this game in the bag by half time.

Topic #44271 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Melbourne will win by a shitload.

Reply #715476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh god, the Taipans... what's the point

Reply #715506 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Worst NBL team ever?

Reply #715507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol what was that goulding

Reply #715508 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ok maybe not with Jawai actually producing for once!

Reply #715509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hall has got to go

Reply #715511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus Goulding has taken some shocking shots so far

Reply #715515 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Goulding has been putting up pure trash.

Reply #715518 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hall scores... on Goulding.

Reply #715519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Hall has got to go'

He went alright. He went HAM

Reply #715520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Hall finally showing some promise

Reply #715524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@LV

Cairns have been called for twice as many fouls as Melbourne (12 to 6)

Reply #715525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And still in front at 1/2 time.

Reply #715526 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Talk about flopping...

Reply #715549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any thoughts on Rob Loe's hair?

Reply #715550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a neutral I reckon this has been a pretty entertaining game

Reply #715551 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Goulding still the MVP flopper.

Reply #715552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai on fire has got to be one I've my favorite players in the league to watch

Reply #715553 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

All the Cairns haters saying they they worst team in the league/ever- they're not the bad- they pushed sydney, they’re pushing melbourne, they’re a brnad new team essentially- give them a chance they’ll be fine!

Reply #715554 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

And then devon hall takes matters into hos own hand and kills cairns off almost

Reply #715555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell has absolutely no idea

Reply #715556 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Yes Dwayne, it counts...

Reply #715557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hall has failed three times down the stretch, my god...

Reply #715558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bahahahaha DKD with the missed gimmie hahaha

Reply #715559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

taipans, fucking joke

Reply #715560 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I look forward to LV's outrage about all the calls that favoured Melbourne down the stretch.

Reply #715561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the future of our club I hope that inbounds play was not what Kelly drew up.

Reply #715562 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Wowee great game to watch with trimble and ware going at it. But the flopping by goulding really ruined what was a great spectacle. Cairns really had their chances but blew it at the end i thought. Good signs from Hall too

Reply #715565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top game, have to agree re the flopping, thought hooley and moller got Melbourne back into it late in the third and start fourth. Perth favourite in my books though.

Reply #715569 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How bad is josh boone

Reply #715570 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Boone surely not 100%?

Reply #715573 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

Just another example of the bias to the big end of the NBL and how the the games are umpired dependanty on who is playing.Goulding is a renouned flopper and grub and gets away with it every game. Goal tend on Mitchell from Taipans even though replays show it was not 2 unsportsmanlike fouls against Cairns yet Melbourne got away with several fouls that could or should of been unsportsmanlike. But the NBL is not an even playing field and the clubs with the big budgets will continue to wipe out the smaller less profitable. It is a league of the haves and have nots so really is there honour in winning the league I for one dont' think so as it is a bought title. The NRL, AFL and soccer used to be like this now they really are national sports which all participants are level. A lot of people out there will not agree but compare the results of the Taipans and Illawarra in the last ten years compared to Melbourne, Adelaide, New Zealand, Sydney and Perth. The larger clubs with cash always win the NBL.It is a very boring competition really, results in easn game is pretty much a given and if not the officials ensure that it goes the way it is supposed to.Just my opinion.

Reply #715574 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Hall has to go- how is he an NBA draft pick
Goulding has to stop flopping
DKD missing the layup- wow!
Cairns are a decent import away from being decent

Reply #715575 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Melo's effort to get himself open on the inbounds was pretty ordinary....no matter who wrote it up!!

Reply #715576 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

compare the results of the Taipans and Illawarra in the last ten years compared to Melbourne, Adelaide, New Zealand, Sydney and Perth.
NZ and Perth are the only teams with more GF appearances than Illawarra or Cairns over that span.

Reply #715578 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Goulding stands on sideline on inbound. Clearly a tech (last 2 minutes ) Cairns had their opportunities but this error by officials crucial and not surprising.

Reply #715581 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Didn't watch the game KR

Anyone else finding the nbl tv app isn't working after the most recent update?

Reply #715601 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Of course you didn't. That's the only reason I'm sure.

Reply #715607 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Didn't watch either game

Feeling out of the loop

Family takes priority over hoops.....sometimes ;-)

Reply #715609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy how people clutch at straws calling Goulding a flopper while at the same time praising an equal flopper in Sobey. Much of a muchness.

Reply #715616 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Goulding with the shiteater's grin on the free throw line after getting that USF called on Jawai. NBL refs - like taking candy from a baby.

Reply #715621 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The USF in transition was the correct call.

Reply #715625 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It was, agreed. But his grin was cumulative re: flops etc. that went his away earlier.

Reply #715626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, makes total sense Perthworld. Not.

Reply #715647 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It would if you utilised some brain cells.

Reply #715648 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Nobody mentioning the Trimble over-acting? The slightest touch and his head goes so far back he could do a reverse hand-stand.

Or that the refs continue to penalise the defender when the dribbler pushes them away, which I'd call an offensive foul unless someone can point to FIBA rules which allow it. (Ware and Goulding excel at this.)

SMH

Reply #715650 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

As I mentioned in the flopping thread a while back, if the refs keep calling it, players will keep doing it. It's silly to blame players, they are just doing what gets them an advantage.

Also, regarding Young’s goaltend, the ball was on the way down. Correct my ignorance, but doesn’t that make it goaltending regardless if it has hit the backboard or not?

In the end, Cairns just unlucky that Hall’s midrange J rimmed out, and then the inbounds pass out of the timeout was such a disaster (great D by Ware to deny Trimble the ball, the obvious target for the play).

Reply #715677 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

claiming NZ as one of the big spenders ! Would say one of the lowest - no way we would sign a Bogut or Goulding or Cotton or Conger etc. Think out budget would be way lower.
Helps we have good homegrown players (something we have non of with the Football/Phoenix) - think the NZ players have some loyalty and like staying at home etc and the club.

Reply #715684 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Suggesting afl is an evwn playing field is comical, just look at the schedule. Teams that finish in the bottom third get harder rated fixtures than richmond who finished first, and this according to the afls own champion data.

Reply #715698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Violet crumble no ignorance on your part. You cannot touch the ball when it's on its downward flight above the level of the ring.

Reply #715702 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"As I mentioned in the flopping thread a while back, if the refs keep calling it, players will keep doing it."

Exactly, the charge/block/flop in our league is embarrassing. Leagues all around the world can do it with consistency and prevent defenders just falling back at every chance they get, I don't know why we can't.

Reply #715712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone still doesn't look 100% fit, Goulding seem to get better as game went on but still doesn’t look fit as well. Barlow is playing over thirty minutes a game and has slowed considerably in his last few games. If it keeps going like this Melbourne could struggle towards seasons end. Injuries can derail season quickly that’s why very hard to win back to back.

Reply #715867 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Leagues all around the world can do it with consistency and prevent defenders just falling back at every chance they get, I don't know why we can't."

I agree. A good example was Jawai's elbow to Boone's gut, early in the first, when Boone went to the floor. Having been elbowed in the face by Jawai on the previous play, with no call, I'm guessing he felt he had to flop to get the offensive foul called. However, he didn't get that call either. Who can blame the defenders for flopping when they regularly get beaten up and pushed off with no call? I stopped watching at that point because it was just too frustrating.

Reply #715955 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754