Mitch Creek first player signed for SE Melbourne Phoenix

According to boti he has agreed in principal. If true this is an absolute disaster by Sixers management to cock up this relationship beyond repair. I appeal to all Sixers fans and members to voice your disappointment at management and call for heads to roll over this debacle

Topic #44339 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ouch! That's a costly bungle if true.

Reply #717941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt it was the canteen lady that started this whole affair. Would've come from top so don't think they'll sack themselves.

Reply #717942 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

No surprise. Yust makes me angry every time I think about it.

Reply #717943 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Even if the relationship didn't sour what makes you think he would have stayed here when he would be offered a lucrative deal that the Sixers wouldn't be able to match?

In my opinion he was always going to go this route or to Europe to maximise his earnings. We missed out on his services this season due to what happened but that is a blessing for him (and for the Sixers as it gives them a chance to go in a different direction to secure those that are more willing to stay here) as it is a better opportunity playing in the D League to hopefully get an NBA chance.

People can be bitter about it, ignore the dollar reality and think he would have played for pats on the back but at the end of the day Phoenix can probably offer him 100k to 200k per season more than the Sixers would have been able to. 99.9% of athletes would do the same, that has nothing to do with the Sixers management other than they can't afford to pay that much for him and nor should they.

Reply #717945 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sixers management are up ship creek.

Reply #717946 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Phoenix lock in the guy who probably ends up with a better gig.

The player you end up with to head your franchise isn't going to be Mitch Creek and I likely to be anyone good. Whoever else is now deemed a second fiddle player, because they played their card that Mitch was who they truly wanted.

Reply #717947 | Report this post

yeet  
Years ago

oof

Reply #717949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale next...

Reply #717950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$1.6mill over 3. You want the 6ers to spend all their money on Mitch Creek?

Reply #717954 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree with some of the comments above.

Creek sounds like he is being one of the first signed - so you'd suspect he'll be on big coin.

There is enough to deduce that but for the 36ers pushing BKN hard for the money, he would have walked to SE Melbourne anyway (i.e. that the 36ers only would have had him for this season anyway).

Creeks a great player don't get me wrong, but having him take up such a large amount of $ - I'm not entirely convinced. Maybe for someone like Cotton, but not sure about for Creek (I say that with the greatest respect).

Reply #717955 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Adelaide can't get in the same ballpark as what SE Melb where offering so it has nothing to do with management or the club.

SE Melb's deal will make him one of the highest paid Aussie's plus he is getting a number of very lucrative third party sponsorship deals.

None of which Adelaide could have matched so no need to whinge about it.

Reply #717957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish people wouldn't speculate and put out false information. "1.6 over 3" nope, you literally just made that up.

“The Sixers deserved compensation” nope, which is why it never reached actual court. He had an NBA out clause.

Reply #717959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow... it must suck being an Adelaide supporter.

Reply #717960 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Must suck living in Adelaide full stop but to top it off they have a poorly run basketball team.

Reply #717961 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Creek was never going to play here this year. That was widely reported early in the prior season and throughout. He was always going to try his hand at the NBA and stick it out in the G-League or Europe hoping to get an opportunity.

And, as has been mentioned above...he would have been out of contract next season at which point the Phoenix (terrible name by the way) would have thrown an offer at him that he couldn't refuse anyway.

So, last season was always going to be the last as a 36er for Creek...probably why ownership/management went after compensation and weren't too worried about compensation.

I'm predicting Joey will be on the Jazz coaching staff next season and Creek will be at least a 2-way contracted player for them as well.

Reply #717962 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bullshit. They could've signed him for a few years, less than this, with an NBA out to let him try his luck. Instead, they screwed it up. Then that would leave SEM spending their marquee money on someone else. Big loss for Adelaide.

Insane to leave your better players coming out of contract in an expansion year too.

Reply #717963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jokes on you Adelaide and your horribly run basketball team

Reply #717965 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Bullshit. They could've signed him for a few years, less than this, with an NBA out to let him try his luck. Instead, they screwed it up. Then that would leave SEM spending their marquee money on someone else."

If he had exercised his NBA out clause then he would no longer be a contracted Adelaide player. So SEM could still have signed him unless the 36ers had got him to sign a contract for his return to the NBL, but he would have been under no obligation to sign that.

Reply #717966 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great for Creek, Phoenix and us NBL fans that like to watch Creek play.

Hoping Sobey joins Creek.

Reply #717968 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I think he would have love to have stayed in Adelaide with his Coach & Teammates but the front office screwed that.
People are just saying it came down to money to make themselves feel better about the situation.
Adelaide burnt the bridge to every other teams advantage and S.E Melbourne played their cards right.

Reply #717969 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Once the out clause is exercised he can sign anywhere he wishes once released from the NBA.

The club don't automatically get him back to play in the old contract terms as no club would risk a guy getting injured playing in NBA/G-League to return and be obligated to pay him, thats just crazy risk management.

Also from a player prospective if the player does well in the USA its a shop window to better deals/money in other parts of the world.

Reply #717970 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed, no guarantee he plays for SEM in the short-term or even at all. He's got higher ambitions and hopefully he achieves them. I see no reason he won't given how driven to improve he is and what a great culture guy he'd be for any team.

Reply #717971 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac...not bullshit because that's exactly what they had with Creek. Do I need to remind you of CJ Bruton?

I'm not saying they handled the situation well but the reality is, last season was always more than likely Creeks last as a 36er no matter how they handled it.

Reply #717976 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's true Tornado last season was always going to be Creek's last with the Sixers that was made obvious after he came back from SL with Utah when the rumours started coming out one more year (last season) then NBA/G-League/Europe after that. Not defending the Sixers at all but I suspect they always knew that too hence pushing hard for the now non-existent NBA compo.

FWIW I always assumed once the new SE Melb team was announced that we would lose either Creek or Sobey or perhaps both going back home to Victoria. Hopefully we go all out to try and keep Sobey.

Reply #717983 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If that Creek 3 years for $1.6 million deal is even remotely true good luck to them because he's not worth anywhere near that kind of money lets be honest.

Reply #717984 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great signing for Phoenix and a great outcome for Creeky.

I think the bitter breakup between Adelaide and Creeky was bad, but then again true love hurts.

Reply #717987 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Zodiac, could you think of many better players to build a new franchise around? He's coming into his prime, sets standards, contributes in all facets of the game. He'd be close to my first choice, and if they've got a bit of cash to splash why not spend it on him on the off chance he returns.

Reply #717989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any reason a team couldn't write a contract with an NBA-out clause with, basically, a team option under certain conditions if the player returns to the NBL within the duration of the contract? So that they avoid the risk of paying a player who takes the out clause and returns injured, but can avoid a situation where a player leaves for the NBA then joins a different NBL team on a fairly short turnaround?

I disagree with all the posts citing Creek as the unquestionable best choice franchise cornerstone for SE Melbourne. He might be a good and hard working basketball player and a good teammate, but we also have a fair bit of evidence that he can be pretty boneheaded off-court and it's not hard to see some of that spilling over at some stage.

Reply #717995 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Its not just about 'he was going to head over seas anyway' imo.

Is about generating and keeping a positive relationship

He clearly tried to re negotiate an extension with the 36ers before signing in Germany, the club by the sounds of it should have taken it more seriously, offered him a 3 year deal at the best $$$ they could afford.

Even if he rejected they can atleast say they put their best foot forward.

Say he signs the extension and still heads overseas,

Knowing he wasnt likely to end up on a NBA roster anyway, dont chase the money and annoy him and make it harder for him

Release him from any contract, asking for nothing in return, wish him all the best and make it clear for him, we would love to have you back on this contract/the best we can do for you, when and if you want to come back to the NBL.

Whilst this doesnt stop him from signing with the Phoenix or guarantee he returns, it generates some good will and increases his chances of him returning.

Instead of doing the exact opposite and guaranteeing that he wont return ever, no matter how optimistic Ken Cole may be that he can make it better.

Also consider Creek has an agent, who would also represent some other high quality players, by keeping positive good will with Creek and his agents, it will help in recruiting future players especially under the same agent. Now Adelaide would be seen a bit more as a last resort from NBL teams or would be having to pay overs and offer the best $$$, where as you can often get guys to come back for a little less than the max $$$ they can get if you have goodwill with them and they know they will enjoy playing for your team, coach and with their team mates.

Thats where Adelaide stuffed up.

Even if the end result is that Phoenix out bid us for Creek and he signed there anyway.

Reply #718003 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Totally agree Creek would be my first signing and even if they did pay overs for him, he is probably worth it

He is one of the best Australian players you will get in the NBL

He provides great leadership and culture and sets your locker room up in this regard from the get go.

Even if they miss out on the Madgen, Motum, Delly types

Creek + 3 quality imports is a great starting point for a new franchise.

Given Creek likely misses an NBA contract, and the Pheonix are probably paying him in the ball park of Euro money, i think its quite likely he suites up for the Phoenix next season

Reply #718005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last post is the most logical one in here

Reply #718007 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Paul, Boti is suggesting they're targeting Brock Motum he's a better player to build around but Creek would certainly be nice to have too but I would think that kind of money would be closer to a Motum level player than Creek though.

Reply #718013 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he had exercised his NBA out clause then he would no longer be a contracted Adelaide player. So SEM could still have signed him unless the 36ers had got him to sign a contract for his return to the NBL, but he would have been under no obligation to sign that.
Yes, and he could worm his way out of any contract anyway but he's far less likely to do that, and SEM are far less likely to approach him, if the club has a solid relationship with him or some form of arrangement.

Like you said, he's a player you build around. Not a player you go miles out of your way to offend, and offend a bit more, and then completely embarrass yourself offending yet again.

He didn't have crazy expectations. Just didn't want to be lowballed relative to teammates, ignored and then harassed legally.

If you can't compete financially, you make sure your player doesn't start hearing offers, that rivals aren't shortlisting them to approach because they assume they're happy, etc.

Reply #718015 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think Creek is more of a complete build-around guy than Motum, but in terms of playing ability any team would love to have either of them so of course they'll both be NBL targets if budget permits.
Creek to SEM is a great get if true.

Random totally unrelated question - do driving demerit points reset to zero if you change states?

Reply #718020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel like there is some rose-tinted glasses over Creek. He was a very solid player for Adelaide, but not a game-changer. Good defender & rebounder, but can't shoot and average finisher at the rim.

The whole Adelaide saga has made him overrated in the NBL. He'll be a good get but there's no way I would be paying him import-level money.

Reply #718021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't think he is better than jordair jett?

Reply #718024 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes, again with the greatest respect, he is a great Australian player, but we shouldn't be getting overzealous about his impact/status.

His last season PPG is equivalent to Te Rangi's PPG output this year.

I do know he is versatile (and a great defender) but I think we need to pump the breaks a bit on his value.

Creek to me is a great piece to have; but not someone who can single-handedly win games.

Reply #718025 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"He'll be a good get but there's no way I would be paying him import-level money."

Import-level money ranges from $50K-$600K. Generally most of the highest-paid players in the league are locals, as they're in more scarce demand, along with the very best imports who have proven themselves as NBL studs.

Reply #718027 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul, Boti is suggesting they're targeting Brock Motum he's a better player to build around"

Motum is a good offensive player, any team would want him as Luuuc said, but personally I'd have Creek way ahead of him as a franchise player. Mitch helps you in almost every facet of the club, he's great off-court, great at training, excellent defender, generates transition and is very effective offensively within his skillset.

Reply #718028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Import-level money ranges from $50K-$600K."

The discussion seems to be focused on the fact that he will be one of, if not the highest paid local in the league. Each to their own, but if that handicaps the squad in other aspects (import quality, depth etc) it could easily end up being a mistake.

Reply #718030 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

and is very effective offensively within his skillset.

Which is quite limited. I agree with others Creek wasn't exactly some superstar player and perhaps we could all keep in mind he was playing in a system tailor made to his strengths whilst also effectively hiding his weaknesses.

I'm not trying to downplay Creek's contribution at all but he's probably more valuable off court than on especially if he ends up in a traditional half court offence. Motum though is another level and unless he's seriously regressed I would take his his 17.5p @ 51% (47% 3pt) and 7.1r three years ago with the Sixers.

Reply #718031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are Creek's negatives?

Reply #718033 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Can't shoot to save himself and that can be hidden in an up tempo ram it down their throat system like Joey plays but you'll get exposed pretty quickly in a traditional half court set up when you can't get to the hole because your man is standing six feet off of you. It's why I didn't think he had much hope making the NBA.

Reply #718035 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Isaac Adelaide just did what they could to ensure they where covering all there bases and protecting the best interests of the club.

I can't see how Adelaide could have an agreement in place with Creek for when he returned as it would effectively hold the club to ransom in terms of money & roster spot for a guy "maybe" coming back.

Also why would creek agree to come back without anything in writing and protections re salary etc which could also hamper his ability to get a better paying gig elsewhere

Reply #718036 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Having a good relationship with Creek, would open up the possibility, of him approaching the club and saying 'hey im over this DLEague stuff, keen to come back, what can you offer?' and then possibly accepting a fairly team friendly deal for the rest of the season, with the understanding he will get a more market value deal the following year with the 36ers or elsewhere. Which then gives the 36ers basically first opportunity at Creek in negotiations for next season, as they could lock him up before the free agency period. Think Brock Motum a couple of years ago, he finished the season in Adelaide quite cheaply due to him having a good relationship with Joey and Teys and the 36ers hadnt previously pissed him off as they have with Creek.

People doubting Creeks value, sure it could be an over pay, but think off the stats sheet in terms of leadership and culture that he brings, a bit like Damian Martin in Perth, more than looking at his box score stats.

Just about every title team has a guy like Creek, Martin, Vukona type, and Creek would have an edge age wise as he is coming into his prime whilst Martin and Vukona are coming closer to the end of their careers.

Reply #718037 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

You can also balance out Creeks weaknesses such as not being an elite shooter or scorer out by signing guys who can

Such as aussies like Madgen or Motum or Sobey

or failing that some quality imports.

Its much harder to find a player with Creeks good attributes (defence, hustle, enrgey, leadership, culture) than it is a guy who can shoot or score, especially when you have 3 import spots available

Reply #718039 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"its much harder to find a player with Creeks good attributes (defence, hustle, enrgey, leadership, culture) than it is a guy who can shoot or score"
ROFL

And again, ROFL

Reply #718041 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am with Isaac on this one.

Creek and the Sixers had a discussion during the season with an understanding of a 'number' for an extension.

When it came time for that extension offer, the number was lower than discussed, hence the lowballing part.

Then came the Supreme Court injunction.

Then came the laughable reach out to Creek that he can come home anytime like nothing has happened, which resulted in a regretable firm message from Creek that he will not be playing at Adelaide.

Whilst I understand the need to use the 'he was leaving anyway' line to soften the blow, that point is a weaker one to the importance of keeping a good relationship with the club's longest serving player, once captain and on court leader.

Sorry Sixers but I have lost a bit of respect for the organisation, but won't stop my supporting though.

Reply #718052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek wasn't low-balled.
He tried asking for more money whilst still under contract, which just makes him a shmuck. He didn't get it.
However Adelaide did agree to offer him an extension.
He then tried again to get extra money for his contracted year as part of the extension, and was again rebuffed.
He then spat the dummy and walked out.

There's no point proclaiming Creek as the "Heart & Soul" of the team, when his actions were contrary to that. True "Heart & Soul" players, like Martin, and others, have accepted less money to remain and lead their teams. Creek wanted every cent he thought he was worth.

Like it or not, Creek was never coming back to Adelaide. His ego was just too big.
I agree that asking for a clearance fee just made the Sixers look like some semi-pro bush league team, but it was not the cause of the rift.

The new team has cash to splash, and like others before them they will overpay to lock in headline local talent.
Good luck to Creek, he's finally found someone willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth.

Reply #718055 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The new team has cash to splash, and like others before them they will overpay to lock in headline local talent.

That's true but you don't blow $500K+ on a Mitch Creek, assuming that figure is even remotely true which I highly doubt. Half that maybe even still overpaying.

Reply #718060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a brand new team will need to spend overs in their first year to lure good players early. Nothing wrong with that. Once they are up and running they can be sensible but right now they need to go hard to get what they can from a limited pool of uncontracted players. If your a player coming out of contract at the end of this season and choosing to either re sign with your same club or go to Phoenix it would be offputting if they didn't have any players signed yet. Snagging a couple of quality aussies shows other potential recruits that the team is legit.

Reply #718064 | Report this post

Dissapointing  
Years ago

Great for Creeky
Crap for Adelaide
Adelaide's admin has been appalling over the years and has remained true to form again!!!!!!!!!!!
So many good players have slipped through their fingers

Reply #718069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any truth on the report of Ty Lawson being the import.

Lawson
Creek
Motum

Wow. Huge big 3

Reply #718116 | Report this post

"Reality" this isn't your burner account and your actually Sixers CEO are ya? You word your opinion like it’s fact but I couldn’t disagree more with you.

Maybe had the club treated Creek with the respect he deserved as the teams best player and not taken him for granted and tried to low ball him he’d be open to a return here. His publicly stated previously he wanted to be a one club player. For all those saying his over rated the guys 26 going on 27 and still yet to hit the best years of his career (IMO) yep his jump shot ain’t the best but you don’t need one to be effective if you have shooters around you and you play above the rim. How’s Ben Simmons jump shot going does that mean his over rated ?

Management massively screwed the club no two ways about it. They’ve been massively tight from low balling shorter and Childress, giving Deleon barely the minimum contract. If they won’t spend the money then just fold the club already we ain’t interested in making up the numbers

Reply #718117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG: Ty Lawson
SG: Mitch Creek
SF: TBA
PF: Brock Motum
C: Julian Khazzouh

Reply #718118 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Khazzouh hahaha.

Reply #718119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Khazzouh would be ROFLing in his grave if he was alive to read that. uh hang on...

Reply #718121 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Which is quite limited"

Zodiac, I would say a player with the ability to hit pull-ups, finish at the basket, draw fouls, get offensive rebounds, create for teammates and be safe with the ball, while also hitting 33% from outside is not someone with a limited offensive ability.

Whether it's been playing in the NBL, Germany, Boomers or the G-League, Creek has excelled in a number of different systems, so the 'hidden' in Joey's system thing doesn't really stack up. It took him time to develop into that system in fact.

Reply #718132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK has cash to splash. Yes he does it's his own team #5?

Reply #718143 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

As a neutral, I hope that he does go to Phoenix as the team needs some early rivalries and if they attain the services of Creek then it will get people coming to games just to see how he reacts to playing against his old side.., should be fun

Reply #718231 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754