Michel Jordan
Years ago

New NBL commentators

I heard Hugh Greenwood did the Adelaide game. How did he go?

I thought Chris Anstey was impressive in commentary yesterday. I think the NBL made a good move moving Homicide to celebrity row and Anstey into the booth.

Topic #44358 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Thanks for popping into the forum MJ.
Search the threads to see opinions on commentators, be warned most are negative.

Reply #718698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey was ok, but the voice is a big key to success. A little monotone for my liking.

Reply #718725 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah,just a little...

Reply #718741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really enjoying Carfino commentary, need more of him.

Reply #718742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tragardh / Anstey same same.

Reply #718746 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I get why Tragardh might not be everyone's cup of the but I like him.

Reply #718749 | Report this post

Appalling  
Years ago

New drinking game. Skull every time the astrophysicist with the fake white hair says the words "be able to".
Why him and that other cock head Shane that commentates cricket, continue to get air time is beyond me.
Get rid of both of them.

Reply #718753 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bring back the band. Casey and Carfino duo on max amount of games. Third wheel Gaze when he gets the sack. Don't fix what wasn't broken.

Reply #718754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze was about as good a commentator as he is a coach

Reply #718758 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

As the third wheel back in the day a playoffs he was fine. Unlike most of these new turds.

Reply #718760 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

for playoffs*

Reply #718762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at Heal. He said "to be able to" three times in one sentence. Uses it at least 50 times a game. Pathetic commentator.

Reply #718823 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The vastly different assessments here shows how subjective rating commentators is. My all-time favourite trio was Casey, Carfino and Gaze. Without Gaze, I would happily inject Heal into the lineup. Heal provides a good balance of enthusiasm, analysis and insight, knowledge of the game, and the status of an Australian basketball legend.

It takes time for commentators, especially past player commentators, to adapt to the role behind the mic. I was very impressed by Anstey's insights, although complaints that his tone of voice comes off as quite monotonous for TV commentary seem valid. Kerle suffered likewise with his monotonous voice, although has improved somewhat since, but he doesn't impart the same basketball wisdom as Anstey routinely does.

As for other commentators, I really like Tragardh's commentary. Santamaria is underrated as a commentator. I treat Corey Williams as a joker commentator as I tend to assess many of his basketball opinions as not so credible. Viewed in that way, he is entertaining to listen to.

The main weakness in the NBL is the play-by-play commentators. In my mind there is Casey then daylight. Dwayne Russel is painful.

For all the complaints here, I think the mix of commentary in the NBL stacks up fairly well compared to the local commentary in the NBA. There are many very painful commentators in the NBA. I don't notice the same level of biased homers covering the NBL. Then look at livebasketball.tv and the commentary in the NBL seems brilliant by comparison.

Reply #718995 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Agreed with the first two sentences. Casey, Carfino and Gaze - yes! Subjective? Yes - since you lost me with Heal at al.

Reply #719002 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Any week with Dwayne Russell commentating is a bad week.

Reply #719012 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

rjd - I like Heal too. I think Casey, Carfino and Heal is my preferred trio. Santamaria is good too - doesn't force it.

You know, hearing the gripes about commentators, coaches, referees and players, I'm wondering if the real issue is with fans.

Reply #719022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal is not to bad but keeps rattling on about favourite players and old mates act, I'm sick to death of being told how good Cadee is and Froling family, let it lie and just call what’s on in the game. Yes and get Gaze back in the commentary box. Bring back Matt McQuade as well.

Reply #719057 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

There;s one of the commentators, not sure who, keeps using the phrase "on the pine."
Except apparently he believes the court is made of pine. LOL

Reply #719144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been impressed with this new sideline reporter in the Sydney v Illawarra game

Reply #722822 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754