Anon
Years ago

Any news on Mt Gambier joining SCM?

Anyone got any news or views on Mt Gambier applying and hopefully being accepted in to SCM for 2019, I think it would be great for them and the league - thoughts?

Topic #44377 | Report this topic

Hoops  
Years ago

I believe I read somewhere on here yesterday that their application to big V was denied

Reply #719418 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Declined so its SA state comp or nothing.

It would have required a change in by laws (Not easy to do) for Mount to be accepted and as Mount made it clear it would be a short term arrangement until they could get womens up and going before trying to go into the Elite league can't say it made much sense for that comp to alter everything for 1 team.

It really is u to BSA to step up together with BA and make sure Mount have a place to play.

Reply #719419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do we really want the Mount in the Premier League.
There's the cost and bother of going there albeit just once a season. Will their payroll be cut, otherwise they are just going to dominate the competition. If they do bring a women's team in they'll just recruit players locally probably and have to fly them out to play at home weakening the women's comp. I say its their problem.

Reply #719422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality give it up already. There's no such thing as a SA State Comp. Just being you keep saying it doesn't make it true.

Reply #719423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't they just play in the SA league??!

Qbl - massive amounts of travel
Big v divisions have country trips
SEABL had them

I’m unfamiliar with NSW travel in their leagues.

If they dominate, guess what, everyone get better?

Just proving the long held view of south Aus around the rest of the country, your team is called the 36ers because it’s the average amount of years you are behind the rest of us.

Reply #719425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason is that SA clubs generate no income from their stadiums unlike all other clubs around Australia.

Basketball SA our private groups own the leases and charge through the roof our run their own competitions.

Reply #719428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Victoria, you make an argument for kicking Mt. Gambier out. Can you please explain why you are propping up Tasmanian teams then, in your new comp.???

Reply #719429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why was Albury (NSW) also allowed to join the new league?

Reply #719430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw Waratah League travels to Newcastle, Wollongong, Maitland all 2-3 hour drives, some of the lower levels travel even further, Tamworth, Armidale, Bathurst etc, all substantial drives.
As some one who looks in from a long way from mount gambier, doesn't no how these basketball systems work it looks horrible that such a successful organisation can just be thrown out in the cold. It’s certainly not a good look for basketball or help it’s popularity going forward.
Sort it BA, it’s bull shit.

Reply #719432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All well and good to say get better in order to compete against them, but majority of budgets here are dwarfed compared to theirs. They generate huge amounts of sponsorship. If they are brought back to earth with a salary cap then it would be fair.

Reply #719434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issue is with BSA then and how they operate. Court hire isn't cheap in vic either.whats a going rate for court hire for bsa clubs?

Reply #719435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury/WODONGA have always been a Victorian club. Started out in Wodonga. They only play in NSW because the Wodonga stadium can't hold their crowds.

Reply #719440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgusting decision by BA and Vics. They have played there for 30 years and won numerous titles. 3 in the last 5 years

If you can't beat them get rid of them is what it looks like.

BA were told it would not be practical to play in the SA Premier League but they still went ahead with their stupid decision.

Reply #719441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with you on the decision to exclude them from the VIC elite league. Strange one and hope it is not permanent.

I think it was the right call not to let them into the BIGV though. They are in another state, setting a precedent that probably shouldn't be set.

Reply #719442 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

"Letting Tassie Teams & Albury/Wodonga play"
- That's in the new Elite League. Not the Big V. Its been documented why they were't allowed in the new Elite league, which I believe was due to parity in not having a womens team.

- I'm also not sure how BV cop the blame for this, when BSA don't sem to be doing much to help out a member organisation in their own state. The Big V, as also mentioned has a by-law, stipulating Vic only clubs, so it would have been an exception to let them play in it. It's not on the Big V to admit them when their own governing body wont help them.

- Many Vic clubs don't "own" their stadiums either. Many paying high court fees for use. Most of the money is made from their domestic comps/junior rep fees & sponsors.

Reply #719445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA is to blame for letting Victorian clubs hijack the SEABL competition for their own benefit. BA have been piss weak and now a very strong basketball area has nowhere to play. Way to look after the sport you are supposedly meant to administer Basketball Australia.

Reply #719448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wrong. pioneers would have has womens team in elite was included in application and financed. however exceptions have been made all of the league for others ie nwt dont have a womens team, lauceston dont have a mens and common sense sort of prevailed there. albury one year licence to get there house in order as they have proven for many years they cant have a competitve womens teams. financial issues also maybe? but given a year to prove themselves in elite. remeber pioneers are the only seabl team who applied (camberra and sydney women didnt) who did not get in. BA created the problem (cyncial view maybe at political pressure from bv) by disbanding a strong viable long history league. in doing so they only club adversely affected is pioneers. disgusting.

Reply #719450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only solution is pioneers into elite. if you are saying play in PL clearly shows you have no understanding of the whole circumstances. no reason why cant still be accepted into elite. the application process changed throughout so just change it again. time for BA to grow a set.

Reply #719451 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The exclusion of MG from the elite comp after they were invited to apply and met all criteria and more is the problem in all of this.
The pioneers have proven their ability with performance and deserved the opportunity to show the same with a women's team. They are well run, financially sound, don't take money out of local basketball and were well on way to putting a good women's team together.
Yes they are isolated but certainly travel has not proven an obstacle for them or oponents in the past. 30 years must count for something.
I would have thought any competition wanting to put an "elite" tag on it would be doing everything possible to have the best performed men's team included. 5 of last 6 national finals - 3 championships. 13/2 play-off record over 5 seasons. Are the pioneers being punished for doing things well????

Reply #719452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issue for BSA clubs is that BSA already rent the courts or run comps themselves so clubs have no access to the facilities.

For example at Wayville,home of Forestville:

Mon-Thu BSA run miniball after school and social comps in the evenings. With some BSA competitions when available courts are needed.

On Friday nights they run miniball and then district comp

On Saturday they run District in the mornings and hire to Church Basketball for the afternoon.

On Sundays Forestville have practice but when needed BSA use this time for games.

Hence Forestville not only need to hire outside facilities at between $40/hour and $75/hour but also get $0 income from competition in their home stadium.

Reply #719470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issue is BSA v Clubs in the first place.
And ignoring the pros for the clubs under the current system doesn't help.
But keep BSA bashing it's worked so well for basketball so far.

Reply #719471 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

#451 - Have said before don't know much about the SA side of it. But find it somewhat hypocritical of a league/club/whoever to say "they can't come and play in our league because of A, B & C" for a club in their own state yet throwing mud at BV for not admitting them.
If BV excluded Mildura from their competitions because of one reason or another, would everyone expect BSA to jump in and save the day for Mildura?

#450 - Would fielding a competitive womens side in a new elite league be the bone of contention though ? I mean, having to build one from scratch with the season starting in 4 months would not be an easy task. If Mt Gambier could do this in such a short period of time, hen why have they not created a womens team prior to this ? Genuione questions, as I have no knowledge of their workings.

#448 - What did the Victorian clubs do to "hijack" the league ?

Reply #719472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole SEABL competition was strange any way.
Who actually run the league prior to BA? What was the management structure?

Can it be called a national championship when not every state is even involved..... I guess its a bit like the World Series, only the US play in it i suppose.

It really has just become an arms race, similar to that which destroyed local football in Victoria. Maybe there needs to be a salary cap and points system put in like the footy to force teams to develop from within there own junior programs and not just buy in players to win a championship then they move on to the next cash cow. It is not really a even playing field right now.

Reply #719479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a point system is place in effect as there were limits to players in certain categories

Reply #719483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel for MTG

Reply #719486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #471

What are the pros?

Cons are;

poorly run competitions
poor referee development
little revenue from comps or home stadiums

Reply #719487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel very sorry for the Mt Gambier people who play, support and administer basketball.

Pioneers is a very well run club. And were willing to make numerous concessions in order to play in the elite league.

There is no practical reason for their exclusion.

The real reason appears to be a desire by some (or many) of the Vic teams and BV to simply get rid of them.

Generous servings of jealousy and pettiness appear to be prevalent.

The Pioneers (and Mt Gambier community) have been very badly let down by their fellow SEABL teams and Basketball Australia, whose lack of leadership is disturbing.

BV is very well resourced and powerful but unfortunately appears to be unwilling to provide genuine leadership.

The way this sorry process has played out reflects very poorly on the quality of leadership in basketball at the highest levels.

The unfortunate outcome - the Pioneers are left isolated and struggling to find a way to survive.

Reply #719511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If had a proven women program would be in. Pretty cut and dry

Reply #719512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Just like Launceston women have a men's team????

Reply #719513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Anonymous, just not correct.

Women's team had nothing to do with it - just an excuse.

Reply #719518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tas teams have no viable alternative as their state league is terrible. Mount Gambier are in south Australia, so they have the premier league. That is the difference

Reply #719523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. Pioneers not welcome in Premier League.

It is not an option for the Pioneers.

They have nowhere to go.

Reply #719529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then this is a BSA issue as to why a club within SA isn't allowed into their league. Not victoria’s BigV, didn’t meet criteria for new league due to women’s.

I think it’s as shit as anybody else and that they should have gotten into new league , even bigV as they only have 9 teams in SCM. But they haven’t and BSA should grow a pair and stop the tail wagging the dog.

Reply #719538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA don't really run things anymore and I doubt Basketball Adelaide are going to allow them in. Making PL an 11 teams Comp creating a bye would not be desirable either I’d imagine.

Reply #719539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So have a bye then?

Reply #719545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha you're talking about SA here. They are very protective of their 10 elite metro clubs.

Reply #719546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous, yes, the Pioneers could have fielded a competitive women's team.

Simply, were not given the chance.

Just smoke and mirrors by BV, to cover up the deceit.

Reply #719555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perhaps look at how all this started and might shed light on who at fault.

It started as Seabl clubs delegate to four reps to prepare a report on future. That is provided to ba. It recommended that ba return the league to the clubs as has been the case for all but 3 or 4 years of the leagues history.

It seemed that ba had two choices either keep things the same or hand the league back to Seabl.

Rather than do that though what ba did was say no we will run the league for one year more and then we will not sanction which killed the league.

Suggestion that they did so because of pressures from the states over the years as to why they were running a league and or sanctioning a state based league as those clubs should be playing within there state. But in reality this pressure was from only one state, you guess which one.

Ba decided to kill of the Seabl without doing any due diligence on whether it was even possible for the non Victorian teams to play in a viable state based league.

The ones at fault for this mess is ba who succumb to the pressures from BV who were getting pissed about the fact each year more clubs were leaving the vic league for Seabl and thus diminishing the vic leagues.

I don't get what is so hard.

Really, at present the only ones adversely effected are Mount gambier who agreed to meet all the ridiculous demands of BV but were still chucked out!

Reply #719556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA run a metro competition, not the country one. That would be for SAC.

Note: by the census Mt Barker is considered a metropolitan area.

And due to the set up, and BSA taking all the money from stadiums and competitons, the clubs can't afford to play in reigonal areas due to cost.

Reply #719559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think bigV D2 clubs are flush with money to travel to Mildura every season?

Reply #719560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think the stadiums are making money either?

One has nothing to do with the other.

Most PL clubs spend plenty on their PL teams so ONE road trip wont brake the bank.

Reply #719569 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Terrible result for all concerned in Mount but can't blame the vics despite the tall poppy syndrome those in SA have.

BA started this mess and now it really is up to BSA to admit them as last i checked Mount is in SA?...so i can;t see how the narrow minds in SA can blame the Vic's for this but then again its easier to blame others than look at BSA and fix whatever the hell you call that poor excuse for a state association.

Also the clubs in Adelaide could get this over the line and accept Mount but that won't happen as its still 1982 and everyone is worried about self interest rather than the actual game! Hell the state even still has a church league which was ditched by everyone else forever ago!

Reply #719570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all clubs are flush with money. As mentioned in previous posts, the cost of flying at least 24 players, coaches and support staff plus accommodation for 1 game is ridiculous. Not all clubs have huge junior programs where they can siphon off money from fees to support the seniors. So guess where this extra money will come from, probably junior fees of course.
What BA has done is terrible, but should it be up to Adelaide clubs to pick up the pieces.

Reply #719591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MtG in Woodville out.
West to St Clair.
One trip a season to Mount Gambier - so what. $2k for the weekend. Can't tell me clubs can’t afford that! Just rip off their juniors a bit more.
There - all fixed.

Reply #719593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm, so about $80 per person for flights and accommodation. What are they doing, taking hot air balloon and camping in tents. Going from morphett vale to gawler would cost all the players around 2 grand in petrol.

Reply #719595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do they have to fly?

Reply #719596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a good 5 hours to my gambier by car from toll gate.

Reply #719601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To do a bus is approx $170 per person on stateliner

With 30 people. 12 players and 3 coaches per team. That's $5k

Accommodation would be approx 20 rooms@ $150 for the night at Mt Gambier hotel. There is another $3k

And incidentals and you are looking at approx $10k.

Some clubs wouldn’t be spending that on their playing Budget.

Reply #719612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mount gambier offered to offset travel costs in both their applications to the elite league and the big v , premier league would be the same

President of the pioneers owns a hotel in the mount

Reply #719623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mount gambier offered to offset travel costs in both their applications to the elite league and the big v , premier league would be the same

President of the pioneers owns a hotel in the mount

Reply #719624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20 rooms for 30 people? I thought you were trying to save money.

SEABL teams routinely travelled interstate with only 10 people per team - including coaches (8+2 or 9+1). Sleep 2-3 to a room, making 4 rooms per team. $170 a head for bus? For Mount Gambier you hire a bus or you car pool. As an AC, I drove myself the 6 hours from Melb to MTG and slept on a floor.

People need to stop making up stupid numbers to suit their dumb arguments.

Reply #719625 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

imagine SA Basketball looked after a SA Club?

Victoria stepped in to assist with Tassie which for the size of the state would be silly to have a league of its own (does it have a state league? I assume so)

Reply #719627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have you looked at the size of sa? and i dont mean area i mean population and basketball numbers?

this is all just ridiculus the only answer is pioneers in elite league. can not be justified why this shouldnt be the case

Reply #719631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should players have to wear the brunt of petrol for that long road trip. Sure a bus could be hired but imagine that would cost a fair bit for 20+ people for a round trip. Depending on the setup having 2 to a room is ok, but having to cram players in a room is amateur. And this bullshit of sleeping on a floor, yeah, that's a great idea.

Reply #719640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't realise they were professionals.

Reply #719641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love how the Victorians kill off SEABL, leaving one of it's member clubs with nowhere to play, then try and blame their circumstances on BSA. You have blood on your hands Basketball Victoria, as does your piss weak running mate BA.

Reply #719642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we all agree that they have been shafted. But they can exist if the precious Adelaide metro clubs would be willing for a road trip once a season. Not ideal, but that's the only way now they can survive.

Reply #719644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because BSA and BAdel are so righteous and credible!

Reply #719646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the pioneers have done that sort of stuff for every year of their existence. a couple of people movers load em up fill em up with fuel and off you go. some trips to ballarat and geelong (4 hours each way) they drive over play the game and coaches or managers drive home. when to melbourne and have double headers have stayed in cheap motels. it is very hard but can have great bonding experiences for the team.

this occurs every year for pioneers depending on the draw sometimes a couple of weekends in a row.

unless you are bendigo and you charter your own flight road travel was king for regional teams.

Reply #719647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus BV, your hypocrisy in allowing the Tasmanian teams to stay in your new comp. just highlights what a hatchett job you did to Mt. Gambier. You can't justify your decision to remove them in any way shape or form. Purely vindictiveness on your part, and BA are pathetic in sitting back and allowing it to happen. Trying to muddy the waters with 'BSA should take them' to deflect is crap. Why should BSA have to clean up a mess you created?

Reply #719648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should Basketball South Australia have to look after a South Australian club? Ummmmmm...isn't that their job?

Reply #719654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is BSA not the peak body in South Australia tasked with governing the sport in SA? Are Mt Gambier not part of South Australia. I would have thought it was BSA's duty to help them. But maybe that’s just commonsense.

Reply #719655 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

People say the "Vics" let in the Tassie clubs...you might find BA pushed very hard for that to happen including funding assistance as those clubs had no viable state league.

The Big V league (Not Elite) wold require a significant change in by laws which member clubs of Victoria would need to be consulted on and admission granted by the member clubs. such a knee jerk change in by laws opens up other problems for the league and its management who regulary get requests frm clubs they knock back siting the by laws!

So its obviously why Big V don't want the problems this would cause for a short term club that isn't even a member of there state!

Lets face it BSA now needs to get this mess sorted as the cards have been dealt so either fix it or the Pioneers are no longer.

Reply #719662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if Mt. Gambier are purely BSA's problem by your reasoning on a state basis, can you please explain why BV are accepting Tasmanian clubs?? Clearly it seems there are rules for some and not others. Let's cut the crap and just admit what it is. Victorians didn't want Mt. Gambier in the league for whatever their small minded bullsit reasons are. Quite happy to have Tasmanian clubs though, but not a very successful long term SEABL club who just happens to be inside the SA border.
You've thrown a very well run, loyal, SEABL club out in the cold, wiped you're hands of them and say it's now BSA's problem. Well done.

Reply #719666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read above,

Most likely because there is no alternative within their state.

Again, not saying this isn't bs and mt gambier aren’t getting the raw end of it it.

But it’s done, how long do you sit and cry about it before you find a solution to the current situation? The possible solution is to join the league, within the state they are currently in?

Blame to people who put you in this situation all you want, it won’t change anything unfortunately. No matter how right you are.

Reply #719672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it's not the possible solution.

The Adelaide based teams will just NOT allow it to happen.

OK? Got it?

Pioneers absolutely shafted by BA and BV.

No one interested in working with them to find a solution.

Absolutely pointless saying what should happen.

Pioneers will be history.

Reply #719681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then this is sad. And no one is disagreeing that this is a terrible situation.

Reflects terribly that Adelaide teams won't travel once a season, god forbid may even have to drive their own cars in a semi pro league.

Reflects terribly that a state body can’t accept a club within their own state.

Reflects terribly that the new league took teams from tassie and not SA.

BigV can’t exactly go and change a constitution for one season to suit a team out side of Victoria, change name to BigV+1?
Again look at D2 bigV, Mildura trip has been a staple for nearly a decade now.
Not all D2 clubs are flying guys up, some fly, some bus, some even drive.

SBL in Perth with Kalgoorlie etc.

BA, BV and BSA have all screwed this up majorly, but as always, no consequences will come of it.

Reply #719685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it's not the possible solution.

The Adelaide based teams will just NOT allow it to happen.

OK? Got it?

Pioneers absolutely shafted by The Adelaide Clubs, and BasketballSA, who have refused to look after/support a club in their state.

No one interested in working with them to find a solution.

Absolutely pointless saying what should happen.

Pioneers will be history.

** There. Fixed it for you **

Reply #719686 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Interesting that some (I assume) South Australians here cite that BV have "shafted" MtG by refusing to let them play, yet are also stating that the Adelaide clubs also refuse to let them play, but don't need to be held accountable? It's just BV's fault.

BV's priority is towards its member Associations. Unlike others on here, I don't claim to know what's going on behind the scenes, so for whatever reason the Tas clubs have been admitted to play. I would assume this would be because they wouldn't have a viable State League to compete in.

Mt Gambier do. Whether or not they are "allowed" to by the Adelaide clubs or BSA, or whoever, is not BV's responsibility, or problem.

Blame BV all you want. BSA & the other SA Clubs are the ones letting MtG down.

Haven't heard much from BNSW or the Waratah League complaining about the addition Canberra trips ?

Reply #719705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I no one thing, it's bad for basketball and I don’t care who is to blame.

Reply #719715 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Agreed.

Reply #719716 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The Elite league isn't being run under the Big V by laws so the vic's screwed us argument is a cop out.

BA are the blame re the SEABL folding but blaming the Vic's after that is narrow minded typical SA stuff that results in an SA based team not playing in there own state league...oh wait that's really happening!

Then again this is the state that bought you the one way free way...toot toot!

Reply #719717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, and there it is again. Deflect, deflect, deflect. Fact still remains BV shafted Mt. Gambier by not letting them in to their 'Elite' comp., despite them meeting the criteria. Why??? And before the bandwagoners start sprouting lack of a women's team (which the Mt. were organising and guaranteed would be ready to go), where is the consistency in allowing Launceston in with no men's team?? If Mt. Gambier are not allowed in because they are in SA and it's a 'Victorian' comp., why are Tasmanian teams allowed in? Double standards all over this. It's just piss weak to shaft Mt. Gambier and then put all the attention on BSA to mask the bullshit BV and BA have done.

Reply #719722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality again with the State League crap. SA has no State League. There's a "Premier League" which is metro based.
SA is unique and always has been.

If BA are assisting the Elite comp and Tas teams to play in that comp, BA should assist MtG to play somewhere as well.

Reply #719723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the millionth time. Tasmania does not had a legitimate state league for those teams to play in. The NWBU is like most of the Big V and glorified rubbish, therefore if they don't play in the elite league all those Tassie teams die.

For the smart ones playing at home, Launceston Women, NWT Mens, gee look they will follow each other around on road trips to pick up the double. Not a hard concept to follow. MTG have a legitimate state league to join (although it is barely Waratah standard across the board), the only thing holding it back are the current 10 clubs and B Adel who refuse to A let a better team into their competition and B refuse to travel once a year. What I find funny is most other leagues in the country players have to drive to rural games. When SA players like Johns, Larkins, Teys, Creek etc have played in other leagues I have never heard one player say oh Im not driving to Bendigo, I'm not driving to there. Grow a set B Adel and instead of spending on dud imports invest in your own state for a change.

Reply #719724 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Anon - Remember BV didn't know this was coming when it got thrown at them to organised in matter of weeks and in the end beleive it or not the BV took advice and feedback from member clubs (i.e vic clubs!) who vote/have say on these issues and with guidance from BA accepted the tassie teams into the league as well.

Mount have a state league to play in so if you don't want to admit that SA can actually help itself rather than have a hand out to every other state just like you do when it comes to most other things that the eastern states prop you up in then thats your call.

Reply #719726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above, read above your post. All everyone is doing here is applying the Vic landscape to SA's so they can wipe their hands of Mt. Gambier without feeling shitty. They are different models. F'knows why BV feel beholden to rescue Tasmania. Maybe they should get their act together and get a viable comp.

Reply #719728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is you who needs to read and comprehend the words viable state league

Reply #719729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As also stated above BNSW have accepted Canberra into the Waratah without even a blimp on the radar. But you talk about PL accepting MTG and its world war 3, we have no money, they are too good, we can't afford the travel, the sky is falling. Ridiculous.

Reply #719731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for this SA State League. A couple of teams from Adelaide plus Mt. Gambier, Riverland, Pt Lincoln, Pt Pirie, Whyalla, Murray Bridge, Port Augusta?

Oh wait it doesn't exist.

Reply #719733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What part of 'SA don't have a state league' don't you understand? It is a different competition model entirely. Based on clubs in the METROPOLITAN area. People keep applying the Vic model to SA's as a way to wipe their hands of Mt. Gambier. NO worries, BSA will just change their structure to clean up the mess that BV and BA created. Maybe making sure that Mt. Gambier had somewhere to play first before you kicked them out would've been prudent. Oh that's right you gave them hope by inviting them to apply then shafting them twice. I think they get the hint.

Reply #719735 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

No it doesn't, but it should.
Which is on BSA to provide. Not BV.
If the state governing body cannot supply a competition for its member associations to compete in, then there needs to be some vicious change sin the way Basketball in SA operates.
Blaming Vic Basketball for the BSA's short comings in running the game there is the true deflection.
WA, QLD, NSW, VIC all seem to be able to run a state based basketball competition.

What's SA's excuse ?

Reply #719738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John that's ridiculous.

Just creating a State League would result in 100 point thrashings. And no country club would be viable.

SA's population base is very different to the states you've listed. That's the difference. Not an excuse, it's reality.

Reply #719741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The main problem is the difference in standard between SEABL and Premier League. Mt Gambier would wipe the floor with all of the Premier League clubs, if they retain the same standard of players. They would have a budget at least 6 times higher than most Premier League clubs

Most of the Premier League clubs could not raise the money to compete with Mt Gambier, so they either have to lower their standards or thrash every Premier League team. Either solution is bad for Basketball in Aust.

SEABL was a lot higher standard and Mt's should be able to play in a similar standard League, regardless of what it is called and who runs it.

Reply #719744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The argument about budget is also garbage. Forrestville had 3 36er contracted players and still got beaten in the final. So the budget argument is such a smoke screen.

Reply #719749 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Why would they keep the same standard of player, surely they would lose better players to stronger leagues. There for reducing playing talent and bringing them back to the pack.

This might be BA fault for pulling the pin, but I just find it strange that a home state association isn't willing to stick up for its own

Reply #719751 | Report this post

Blerg  
Years ago

Sounds like:
a. Basketball in SA is backwards and out of sync with the rest of the country
b. People administrating basketball in SA are self interested and unwilling to change
c. As a result SA associations aren't being sufficiently represented/supported

Which also means that maybe it needs fresh blood. Maybe it's time people from outside SA take over and held the game and the clubs in SA progress

Reply #719752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why weren't Mt Gambier "SA’s own" up until now?

Reply #719753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure they were only SA's own, they were the best SA had to offer. They were SA’s pinnacle.

Reply #719754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet didn't play in SA

Reply #719757 | Report this post

Blerg  
Years ago

So I guess the Adelaide 36ers aren't associated with SA given they also play in a national competition? Just like Mount Gambier did?

Reply #719759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blerg

Great idea. But if you took over BSA would you decide to decrease your income by half to move the sport forwards?

Reply #719767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What part of Mt Gambier playing in Victoria makes them a part of a national competition?

Reply #719768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No risk. No reward.

Expansion and improvement requires investment and change. If you only do all that you've ever done, you’re probably only ever going to get the same outcome that you’ve always got.

Reply #719769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The above is exactly why SA district sucks

Reply #719773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You say bnsw just accepted in Canberra which is yet another example of a state not concerning themselves with state boundaries. For those struggling Canberra is not in nsw. But yet bnsw denied the Sydney Seabl women's team entry into the Waratah.
Ba disbanded Seabl and said they did so because they wanted the teams to go back to there state leagues to play in. Yet there has not been one of those Seabl teams that has gone back into their state leagues accept Mount gambier and sa are being abused for not going back to a state league.

Name one Seabl club that has gone back to a state league.

Reply #719774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra

Reply #719775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blerg would be the end of basketball in SA

Reply #719776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ACT although not part of NSW is totally surrounded by it. To be semantic regarding sporting landscape is building an argument to suit an argument.

Reply #719777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Mt Gambier so desperately want the SEABL competition, why didn't they form an alliance with the other SEABL clubs and take over the league?

Maybe the other clubs wanted to wind back out of the SEABL competition? Having spoken to several players over the years from several clubs, travelling to Tassie, Canberra, Sydney, Mt Gambier is a whole away from family, work, schooling etc.

In reality these players are not living of playing hoops in SEABL, they have to have an income to live. If i had an employee that need to take off every second friday how productive is that for my company?

At some point in your live, work, family, friends, lifestyle have to take over and traveling all over the country 'for the fun' only last so long. Clubs then need to spend more to keep players, but funds are not always easily obtained in a lot of communities.

There are also heaps of other sports that people can compete in now that didnt exist 30 years ago when SEABL started. Maybe it just ran its course??? IDK

Reply #719778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And those players get recycled out for the next generation who do. Such a short sighted mentality.

Reply #719779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No player was forced to play seabl, if you don't want to play top level because of work and family play the mid week scocial comp.
Mount Gambier have been screwed, who knows why is still a mystery to me no matter how much I’ve read on this site.
Basketball as usual run by amateurs.

Reply #719780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Seabl clubs which included Mount gambier did form an alliance and told ba that they wanted seabl handed back to them to administer as they had done for more than thirty years. That's when ba said no we are not running it and you can’t either as we won’t sanction it.

If you don’t want the travel because of other commitments play in a lower league. By the way not all games required travel ion friday. If that’s as the issue don’t play Friday night games as Mount can and would play Saturday games if required.

I guess what your saying re Canberra being outside of nsw is that "ok technically, but they are close enough and have always been associated with nsw" do you know where Mount gambier is? Do you know how close it is to the boarder? Do you know that Mount has been for ever and a day associated with Victorian Competitions in. Unwrought sports not to mention business. Mount gambier currently do compete in Victorian basketball competitions. I’m guessing that’s what you mean by making arguments to suit. Or perhaps it’s not making anything to suit cos it’s fact.

Reply #719781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again as stated , similar to tassie not having their own state league, Canberra do not either.

Donald trump sir, I'm Mexican, live in Mexico, but right on the border, can I just be American?

Reply #719782 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

I think you'll find a good chunk of Vics would happily accommodate MtG in their competition. For whatever reason, the Elite & BigV have chosen otherwise. So be it. AS I've written before, I'd have liked to see it.

Me, and I'm sure a lot of other people, specifically Victorians I suppose, are blown away by the unwillingness of anyone else in SA to help an SA club and place all the blame on Vic. Yet they don't even have a competition to accommodate a town in their own state ?

And #741
Seriously ? The suggestions that SA run a state league, similar to what is working across the rest of the country is "Ridiculous" because of 100 point blowouts? That's your argument ?
- As someone mentioned above, if an SA Metro club can suit 3 x NBL players, I'm sure they'd compete ok against Mt Gambier. IF they kept their same roster.
- So you have your 10 existing teams + Mt Gambier. That's a good start wouldn't you say ? A second division could then be created for other clubs and to get their foot in the door and go from there. I know it sounds "Ridiculous", but it might just work, considering it does in the other States.Even if their are teething problems.

The fact is, you have BV saying "MtG have no place in our comps", with the South Australians hurling abuse over the border, but also saying "MtG have no place in our comp".

Reply #719786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John knows what's going on!

Reply #719788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't the rebel clubs form an unsanctioned leave, to be honest I'm totally ignorant as to why. Rugby League did, cricket did. If clubs with cash such as the Mount set it up, have venues, get refs etc, why not. Or is the tail wagging the dog with BA saying you can't do it.
Surely this could provide framework for a 2nd division national league. Have pioneers, tassie, a few Victorian, nsw, Queensland and even a New Zealand. Have 6 teams, home and away and then have a neutral venue that other towns can host and pay travel costs.

Reply #719790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And again what state league do sa have.

I am certain that Canberra have a basketball league that is solely played in Canberra yeah it might be a social comp and only exist within Canberra but hey let's call it a territory league. Let’s not worry if Canberra are used to playing in a much higher comp.

Same argument for Tasmania. Basketball Tasmania even promote on there Facebook page on 18 November the final game of their state league. It’s even called a state league!! But yet it seems to matter for the Tasmanian teams that that league is not of a standard the Seabl teams are used too or presumably so.

Yet you are all trying to argue that pioneers should be in a league which is solely based in da regardless of standard etc.

How does the trump comment also not apply to Albury or Canberra (playing in nsw) before you say Albury has always been considered Victorian answer why they are still fighting for official affiliation and why you are at answer why if Victorian they could not apply for the elite league with the Victorian teams but rather had to wait to receive an invitation to apply with the other non Victorian teams.

There are so many contradictions made or allowed to suit an argument to exclude Mount.

The simple way to fix it all is to just allow them entry to the elite league.

Reply #719791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury/wodonga* bandits......

So maybe this is a good opportunity for BSA to grow and make it a state league?

Reply #719793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Understand the wodonga part but if BV consider them a vic team why didn't they get invite with vic teams but got it with non vic teams. Only answer is because BV don’t consider them a vic team.

How do you propose they improve it.

It would have been a great opportunity for Tasmania to improve there state league too. And Canberra but common sense prevailed it should with respect to pioneers too.

Reply #719795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John

There are no other clubs in SA.

Reply #719796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And further more.

It would lead to Mt Gambier becoming totally dead within 5-10 years.

They haven't produce players of PL standard and all their roster are SA metro players other than 2 who don’t play and aren’t at that level.

If you took Daly (Sturt) Burdon (North) Sutton (Forestville) Hill (Sturt/Eastern) McDaniels (Sourthern) our of their team they’d be a shell of their current self.

Their entire recruiting practice has been taking fringe NBL guys and putting them into a fringe competition. No reason for anyone to play for them in the competition they are already in.

No one would move there to play for them when they can stay at home and a) go to Uni or b) get a career which isn’t available in a town that size.

And they would be even worse at getting a women’s team together.

SA doesn’t have country towns big enough to sustain teams as they are 25k max in population.

Reply #719800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As has shown by their history and demise across all levels from AJC to Premier League SA are inflexible, resistant to change and will forever be behind every other state. What is the definition of insanity? doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. This is SA basketball. They went down the 2 imports path before and it nearly sent everyone broke. They went back to the well and again they are all struggling. Stop trying to enter an arms race none of you have a clue how to manage and invest in South Australian basketball.

Reply #719801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#790 because there are issues with transfer for players, import issues, registration of players, insurance, umpires wouldn't come across to umpire one game a week if then prevented from umpiring sanctioned leagues, venue availability, to name but a few issues.

Reply #719804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If pioneers do die as seem inevitable did they have any contracts with players, coaches, employees, sponsors etc that they now presumably can't pay? If they did what happens to them?

Reply #719807 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In the SBL of WA Kalgoorlie is even further away from Perth than MtG are from Adelaide. It can be done.

Reply #719811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be referees not umpires

Reply #719812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it can be done. It has been done in the Seabl for more than 30 years. It should be about to be done in the elite league.

Reply #719814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seabl was not meant to be a state league, it was supposed to the best winter league so bench and fringe nbl players could play against the best earning a couple bucks to feed them selves.
Ten elite teams should fund there own comp and stuff all of BA, BV and South Australia.

Reply #719815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Non-SA folks, please understand that the the good people of metropolitan Adelaide have little interest in or knowledge of the Pioneers.

There is no investment in them as a 'representative' of SA. There is no enthusiasm to help them out by bringing them into the Adelaide based league.

The Pioneers existed to be part of the multi state but Vicorian centric league that was SEABL.

As a result of the conspiring by BV and some Vic based associations, along with the indolence of BA, the Pioneers have been left in a hole.

Can only hope that there is some karma out there, awaiting the the conspirators.

Reply #719818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That would be referees not umpires"

Shut up please

Reply #719821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry if it makes you feel ignorant with regards to the terminology of the sport you are trying to sound like an expert on.

Reply #719823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't me that wrote it, but keep feeling superior because of it champion

Reply #719825 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anonymous - and further more!
To suggest that the Pioneers have not produced a player of PL standard is a slight on a number of players and incorrect. 2 Locally born and bred players more than held their own at SEABl level this season, starting and putting up good numbers on a number of occasions. Others have moved to Adelaide and played premier league including a number of young women. Two Pioneers developed players have made Australian junior teams and squads, one leading a national u/18 championship in scoring and many have repped SA at u/20 level. The Pioneers certainly have recruited from Adelaide which clearly makes sense as all SEABL clubs have recruited from outside their areas. The Pioneers have provided fringe and potential NBL players the opportunity to play at a high level - mostly South Australians. Not sure what is negative about this. This avenue to higher level competition is now over. Many losers in this.

Reply #719826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps "persons on court with whistle" would make it easier for you to follow along! I apologise if the use of such terminology made it confusing for you.

Reply #719827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon please go let your parents know they forgot to switch the internet off and go to bed.

Also to iamverysmart poster above, from Basketball Australia "As a referee or umpire (yes, there is one of each, however their duties are almost identical)".

Almost like it really doesn't matter what you call them.

Reply #719829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality.........is that you sk?

Reply #719830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not confusing at all it just gave your opinion zero credibility.

Reply #719831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha hows this clown. "I'm wrong but everyone else it wronger!"

Reply #719832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And was is your opinion which will no doubt be very credible.

Reply #719835 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Of course it can be done..."

... in SA.

Correct.

Reply #719847 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

SA always blaming everyone else as per the norm.

Enjoy the "premier league" LOLZ or better still enjoy watch the Mount Gambier Lakers in the CBL for the coming years as that looks like the only representative comp the town will be represented and you can thank BSA for not allow as team within its own state for allowing it to happen.

Reply #719853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Sk. pioneers can thank Ba for disbanding the league for absolutely no reason other than succumbing to the pressure of BV criticising them for running and sanction a non state based league. But now BV want them to sanction a non state based league but it's ok cos now they have the control back.
How can you not understand that this total f**k up has nothing to do with bsa.
The wrong can very simply be righted by just accepting pioneers into elite where they should have been all along.

Reply #719856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is saying they haven't been absolutely shafted.

Moving forward a solution is possible for BSA to have a state league

Reply #719858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not have those who have shafted them fix it

Reply #719859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't shaft some one then fix them or you wouldn’t have shafted them in the first place.

Reply #719860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You might if you accepted you made a mistake or had let them down badly and were big enough to admit that and went about doing everything possible to right the wrong.

Or you might if you thought the aggrieved party would just cop it and disappear quietly and they haven't.

Or you might if it was going to impact you in a negative manner if you didn’t fix it.

Reply #719861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BV are entitled to act for/represent the interests of its members. If the member clubs wanted control of SEABL back, were told by BA that this wasn't going to happen as BA wouldn't continue to sanction the league, they are/were completely entitled to walk away and form their own league. They weren't obligated to play in the SEABL.

And if that meant banding together forming a new league under BV, they're allowed to do that, and they did do that. Ultimately BV and the Vic based clubs are only responsible for themselves, but if they also decided to throw out a lifeline to TAS teams, they're allowed to do that too. Certainly they weren't obligated.

BSA on the other hand does have obligations towards associations within SA. You can't palm that responsibility off onto BV, or to the Vic clubs just because it might be inconvenient to other clubs in SA. And if BSA doesn't have a responsibility to look after their member associations, including ensuring they have a suitable competition to play in, well then they're not fit for purpose.

Reply #719862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

love all the comments from people who have zero understanding of how BA, State Bodies and local Associations actually work. Keep it up, it's entertaining.

Reply #719863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the responsibility of ba???

Reply #719865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The f^ck up has nothing to do with BSA, but the fix should.

Reply #719866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

886 on the money! Plain and simple.

By saying plain and simple, again, not saying this isn't an absolute balls up of a situation and people shouldn’t be upset.

Reply #719868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And what teams would you have enter this magical SA state league?

Reply #719869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's BSA and mounts responsibility to work together on a solution now that no other alternatives exist.

Reply #719870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magical state league wouldn't include teams outside of SA for a start

Reply #719872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course. But there are zero teams that could enter it. So its only ever going to be premier league + mt gambier at best

Reply #719877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Premier league draft schedule went to clubs yesterday , no new teams ,so it doesn't look good for the pioneers

Commissioner at bsa will balls this up for sure

Reply #719898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt Gambier haven't applied to BSA because they know that it will end their existence slowly but surely.

Reply #719900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can't do any worse than the ba board!

Reply #719906 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754