Anonymous
Years ago

Stephen Holt released by Brisbane

Jeremy Kendle interim replacement. New import guard signing expected to be announced this week.

Topic #44408 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendle as replacement been done before surely we can do better

Reply #720429 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Never given a real shot, Spudee wins out again.

Reply #720433 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Had to be done. They had a solid starter in Gliddon and then three could-start types in the guard ranks. Really, most of their roster fits that exact bill - almost all competent rotation players rather than a mixture of go-to heroes and supporting roleplayers.

Could make things interesting from 3rd through 6th. Hawks are in the mix on W-L but I don't know that they can hold on.

Reply #720434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd rather have Holt than Kendle every day of the week.

Reply #720435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not forget David Wear is still in the league

Reply #720442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2018-19, 17mpg, 7ppg, 44fg%, 37tp%, 1.2apg, 0.9spg, 0.6topg
2017-18, 27mpg, 10ppg, 43fg%, 36tp%, 1.2apg, 0.6spg, 1.1topg

Stat-wise he's doing better than last season, and pretty much what Brisbane should have expected from him - especially considering his sporadic court time.

Surely this signals someone has become available that Brisbane feel they can't pass up. Otherwise I don't get it.

Is Hiejima their 11th rostered player? Interesting they've released a potentially useful player instead of someone they haven't utilized at all.

Reply #720443 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Surely this signals someone has become available that Brisbane feel they can't pass up. Otherwise I don't get it.
This has to be it, or they would've released him a week ago and used the FIBA window to get someone in, rather than having a temporary replacement for a week or two.

Is Hiejima their 11th rostered player? Interesting they've released a potentially useful player instead of someone they haven't utilized at all.
Hiejima is a local.

Reply #720444 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

The article on nbl website says, Brisbane planned to keep Holt, but bring in another guard presumably a better PG to help the team.

This would have decreased Holts role, so he asked for a release.

Kendle is now taking the 3rd import off the bench role (maybe temporarily) and still bringing in the import guard on top of what they have.

A good move by the Bullets, if they get a Trice level guy it will make a big difference.

Trice type
Gliddon
Patterson
Bairstow
Hodgson

I much better than they started with, even if just decreasing Cadees role is a big upgrade for them.

Reply #720448 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

You can't decrease Cadde's role / minutes....are you nuts?

Reply #720449 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Hahaha well played lovebroker beat me to it. Article when import is signed... "Lemanis believes he can play a meaningful role Behind Cadee" lol

Reply #720453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there not a better temp option than Kendle? This dude must just hang around between state leagues waiting for the calls

Reply #720466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Luke suggested that Gary Neal could be the replacement upgrade imo

Reply #720468 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Gary Neal former Spur?

Reply #720473 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Is Spuddee really Lemanis' love-child?
There can't be any other explanation.

Unfortunately Money-Ball doesn't work in Basketball. 2 half-decent players don't add up to one decent.
You basically need something like 5 Starters, a 6th man, then your five cheap players.

Why you would keep Gibson (Lemanis' last failed wannabe Boomer love-child), bring in Spuddee, and then hire another fucking PG is beyond me.

Should change the title of this thread to:
Stephen Holt says "Fuck This Shit"

As I said in the other thread, Lemanis needs to be sacked from one of these roles, because its not helping either team

Reply #720474 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Should change the title of this thread to: Stephen Holt says "Fuck This Shit"

Seconded.

He must be looking at the stat sheet and planning his exit strategy.

Jason Cadee - 8.1 ppg @ 34% in 30.0 mpg. But Cadee does have 4.3apg.
Stephen Holt - 7.0 ppg @ 44% in 16.5 mpg.

Bullets would probably be 2 wins more (one against Perth) if Holt got Cadee minutes and vice versa.

Reply #720481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@lovebroker No way, Cadee is amazing just ask Shane Heal!!!

Reply #720484 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Cadee is a Boomer and has his own clothing range so he must be better than Holt.

Reply #720491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL just tweeted the rumour that it's Baron Davis.

Reply #720497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No they are saying he is in town and they should talk to him. Not he is the rumoured replacement.

Reply #720500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to take what they said strictly on face value, feel free.

Reply #720502 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you want to take what is clearly a joke as someone reporting a rumour, feel free.

Reply #720505 | Report this post

Michel Jordan  
Years ago

Not sure why people are calling Cadee a spud (what does that mean exactly, anyway?) - he's a wicked player

Reply #720506 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'm liking the changes that Brisbane have made since the start of the offseason (Vukona has played better than expected, Hodgson is showing good form and Gliddon has had big games. Patterson has been an upgrade) so the potential for this team is certainly there and with another import this team could make the grand final (on the proviso that Bairstow finds the form that made him an NBA player).

I'm really liking this Bullets team and if Cadee is a bench player (or at least playing bench minutes) behind a stud then I think our perception of this Bullets team won't be of the cellar dweller that most had to begin the season.

Reply #720510 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I hope this isn't the last time that we see Holt in the NBL as I think he's a much better player than what Lemanis has let us see at the Bullets.

Reply #720511 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I know he had another contract but the Wildcats could use his services whilst Cotton recovers 'properly'

Reply #720513 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I don't know if this has ever been answered, and probably never will, but would Holt qualify as an Asian-Market player?

Reply #720518 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wouldn't be mad if Holt was with NZ - He could do well with big minutes. Right now, most of our guards are playing horrible. He could add something there; but not sure there's anyone you would/could cut as I think the problem lies with the performance of locals RN.

Reply #720524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Jeremy has been training with the group all season, he knows our systems and has NBL experience so will be able to step in straight away."

Reply #720529 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

So Kendle reviews the NBL rosters around the league and trains with the team most likely to cut an import guard in the hope of getting a short term gig.

If any Import guard saw Kendle training with your team you need to know the knife is out for you before it even begins.

Reply #720532 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Good to see Brisbane making what will no doubt be the correct move, depending on the player signed... I know it was just the NBL social media account, but having Baron Davis in the league would be NOICE!

Wish the Kings would have pulled the plug on Wear at the start of the FIBA break... once the Wildcats expose their weaknesses on their home court, it will be getting a bit too late...

Reply #720535 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Great move, when you have Studee lighting up an international team the quality of Qatar, you knew Holt's days were numbered.

In all seriousness, Holt never seemed to get the opportunity to produce. For Brisbane’s sake, I hope they find a talented player and put him in a position to succeed. The Bullets could be a real dark horse come finals time.

Reply #720538 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Wear is he going?

Reply #720539 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A shame it didn't work out for Holt. Would still add value as an injury replacement elsewhere if needed.
The new import needs to be a star and push overrated Cadee back to the bench.

Reply #720540 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I mean it adds authenticity to Joey's statement a few weeks ago that Australian players maybe have it a bit too comfortable in the league (I think from memory he said something similar to this).

A guy like Cadee should be packing his bags; but instead Holt gets the flick.

I do understand though that that is the nature of the business somewhat; and it could be that Holt actually asked for a release because his minutes were going to be shot further.

But looking in; the simple point is perhaps that a guy like Cadee is too comfortable and isn't held to the same account as an import because he is a local (even though he may be on similar cash).

Reply #720542 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That's the danger of long-term contracts for locals though, really. Makes sense with your Kays/McCarrons/etc., but if Cadee was signed long-term for decent $$$ and the promise of a starting gig (which seems likely to me) then it was a mistake from the time ink was put to paper.

Reply #720550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing the Wildcat game could be Wear's last. Let's hope so.

Reply #720556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but if Cadee was signed long-term for decent $$$ and the promise of a starting gig"

Dollars and length of contract are the risk you have to take but why would a club/coach guarantee a starting gig to any player?

Reply #720557 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Clubs/coaches always make promises/gurantee's to try and get a player to sign on.

If they sign long term these promises can always be altered or forgotten as its pro sports so unless its in the contract it means nothing.

Cadee getting his money so even if he is pissed about not being the starter it shouldn't matter.

Reply #720563 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Well yes, its more or less what happened in Adelaide, what got Joey annoyed. You can't sack your local spuds, because there's nobody to replace them, so its an import who gets cut.

And its the same basic issues than make even Spuddee a valuable commodity, and unfortunately drives poor recruitment. Brisbane lumbered themselves with Gibson, and then repeated the disaster with Spuddee.

Just imagine how good they's be if they'd ignored the spud and signed a legit import PG

Reply #720639 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Why can't they get an import PG who can guard 2-3s, Spuddee is more a natural 2 anyway, like a poor man's Cotton.

Reply #720644 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

More like a homeless man's cotton undies

Reply #720751 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

That's lame AD.

Reply #720771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:41 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754