Anonymous
Years ago

Fiba u15 Oceania tournament

Girls beat Samoa today 111-29.

Boys only 2 points up over Samoa at half time 43-41.
Maybe a big wake up call for Australian basketball, the way it develops kids and player selection.

Topic #44411 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia might want to get some Aussie magic going for sure. Otherwise they will lose some games in this tournament. Samoa is TERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE.

411, I'm sure it will be fine selections were sound, ethical and intelligent. ;)

Reply #720455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know where to get box scores for this. Can't find on the fiba u15 site

Reply #720457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This tournament and Asia should be guard heavy.
We will not beat Japan, Korea, china etc with size.

Players who can defend from beginning to end with a high motor should be chosen.

Reply #720458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie boys ran away with it half way through the 3/4.

Reply #720459 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

http://www.fiba.basketball/en/Page/9b656eb8-d599-4db7-a003-233fb85664e0/8ad2da58-871f-4ff7-a32e-73c3ef7f43a1#tab=boxscore

Reply #720460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly who I thought would perform and who wouldn't.

Reply #720461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how the two mediocre norwood kids got selected over some of the north kids always baffles me

Reply #720463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does it? I think most people around here simply roll their eyes, smile at each other and move on.

It makes no difference whatsoever to anything. I feel sorry for those 2 kids and the situation they've been unwittingly and stupidly placed in. Longer term it won't end well.

Reply #720467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think we will see 2 much different Aussie sides next year. Wouldn't surprise me if we see 1/3 of the rosters change like last year.

Reply #720469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

463, a little more subtlety next time. I found it funny though.

Reply #720470 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If North could buy their way in they would.

Reply #720472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hearing they have decided to invest their money elsewhere actually.

Reply #720478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

470, what's funny? the fact that 2 aus squad kids averages 17ppg combined in their local district comp?

Reply #720488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh you weren't trolling...

I'm not going to badmouth kids on here, but there are clear-cut reasons why North's main player didn't make the cut. If I have to list them, you probably wouldn't hear me out so I won't bother.

The two other elite players are good, but they play highly competitive positions. By comparison if they were 7'0 and half as skilled, they probably make the team - that's basketball.

As for why the Norwood kids made the cut: one shouldn't have, the other is justified. It doesn't mean the North kids should have made it in their place.

Reply #720489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not forgetting the Sturt player who is all class, humble and a great talent and who should be considered before any of the North players who is an asset both on and off the court.

Reply #720492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that the person/people mentioning North players every time there is. Australian u15 thread are trolling. Bag the Norwood kids and then cause others to criticise the north kids at the same time.

Reply #720493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. The Sturt kid is good. The north boys are very talented. The eastern boy who moved to Norwood was unlucky. And the two Norwood boys didn't pick themselves so shouldn’t be criticised.

I actually think there were some awesome players in Vic Metro and nsw metro who were very unlucky as well. One kid in nsw metro averaged over 20ppg at nationals and almost won classics singlehandedly.

This Oceania tournament is just another tournament. How many who have actually played for Australia in actual u17s or u19s world champs go on to play pro.

So give the young kids (15) a break whether they are the kids that made it or didn’t.

The only thing for certain when you are talking about talented players at 15 is some will end up developing into high level players and others won’t.

Reply #720496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eastern to norwood...that is a long trip

Reply #720498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls squad

5'6 Deeble / 5'9 Fakalata
5'9 Swain / 5'9 Robinson / 5'7 Crawford
6'0 Price / 5'8 Bowyer
5'11 Dunn / 6'2 Prior
6'0 Goodchild / 6'2 Dunlop / 6'2 Evans

Think heights are pretty close to the list except for maybe Fakalata(shorter) and Goodchild(taller)

Not sure this team is as deep as the previous 2 sapphires squads but there are some nice prospects. I think we can do with 1 less big and I'm pretty sure there are some better sg choices available. Next 2 u18 ajcs will decide though.

Reply #720501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was good to see samoa compete with the australian boys team in the first half. Just so you all know, that the majority of the kids playing in both the samoa girls and boys team are from australia.

Reply #720525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not sure this team is as deep as the previous 2 sapphires squads but there are some nice prospects. I think we can do with 1 less big and I'm pretty sure there are some better sg choices available. Next 2 u18 ajcs will decide though."

Sapphires are un17 not un15

Remember people these “kids” are just that, 95% of them selected here won't continue on past juniors at an elite level. Let them enjoy this time representing their country.

Many reasons why some kids are selected and some are not, your kid may be one of the three best pg/f/c in their age in your state, but they can’t take them all, some kids are not ready mentality, maturity wise , some would not be happy bench players, some don’t listen, some are simply unlucky........it’s not a deliberate attempt to miss any one out .....it’s basketball

Reply #720527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are also playing against countries that basically train bare foot outside after walking from their family huts......every time the only two competitive teams are NZ and Aus in the women's, they used to also have Tahiti and Guam who were ok as both countries have some kids who can afford this sport

The men are much the same, but their winning margins are usually a little less than the women’s. Don’t read too much into score lines

Reply #720528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are also playing against countries that basically train bare foot outside after walking from their family huts.

thats a really ignorant thing to say. you would think with the society we all live in today, people still have the mindset that these pacific nations still live in the stone ages.

Reply #720530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are the sapphires and the crocs. U15Oceania through to u17WC.

U17Oceania through to u19WC they are the emus and gems.

Reply #720531 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

^^, dont think its ignorant at all, think its accurate, these kids from Fiji, PG, Samoa have nothing,absolutely nothing in terms of facilities for weekly training, access to well trained coaching staff, they are lucky to not live in a shanty house, have you ever been to these countries and seen what these kids have. The fact they are there at all is credit to their governments and those kids. They know they will get a thumping, but they play with so much heart, frankly unless you have attended any of these tournaments then you really wont understand .
The heart they play with is often the lacking quality in many of the so called elite juniors in Australia.

Reply #720547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie girls pulvarised NZ 94-34.

Reply #720594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact they are there at all is credit to their governments and those kids

i have to stop you there as these nations are not government funded these are ALL self funded. Any money raised is usually gone back into the national basketball program which is mainly for the seniors. the juniors are typically left for themselves to fend. the only time the government intervenes, is having the name on the jersey and thats about it

Reply #720597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again absolutely disgraceful comments regarding 15 yo athletes from those involved.
If you are unhappy with selections take it up with BSA or even BA for that matter and maybe you might get some facts and understanding of how and why kids are selected or not selected but don't make comments about 15 yo kids
Have you even considered the impact comments like this could have on a young athlete ?

Reply #720666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again absolutely disgraceful comments regarding 15 yo athletes from those involved.
If you are unhappy with selections take it up with BSA or even BA for that matter and maybe you might get some facts and understanding of how and why kids are selected or not selected but don't make comments about 15 yo kids
Have you even considered the impact comments like this could have on a young athlete ?

Reply #720667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again no one is suggesting the kids are at fault.

Reply #720674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im sick of the bullshit agenda of this North Adelaide , what have you actually won , oh that's right nothing except local stuff , before you start bleating about your champion kids and that they should be playing for Australia compare yourself to the Sturt group who actually won National clubs and classics at one time or another and had players in a state team actually make top 4 at Nationals .

Reply #720683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

girls obliterated Fiji 141-15.

Any bottom agers a chance of making these teams.?

Reply #720685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did nz girls have a lot of injuries before the tournament?

They have some really good talent that aren't in the squad.
Not many of the top players from the nz junior champs...

Reply #720690 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

North bullshit agenda? calm down.

Reply #720692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about those cash incentives? If you want to talk about whats fair or not fair or in fact legal.

Reply #720700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

such as the legality of your claim?

Reply #720702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz just escaped a loss to Samoa. Might have stopped them from qualifying into Asia.

Reply #720704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credit to nz boys.
Our team is just not up to scratch. Will Be interesting to see what happens over the next year with selections. I only see a few making the next squad.

Reply #720741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're going to pick a group that makes no sense based on observable factors, you'd want to know something the rest of us don't.

Reply #720742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As above, I think you will find that the comments re selection are not from north people but rather people who have an agenda against the SA High Performance Manager.

The north kids and the Sturt kid that are always mentioned are only mentioned as alternatives to the kid that was selected from SA Metro. That does not mean it is the Sturt or north parents posting.

But I will bite in response to the question of "what have the north players achieved outside of Adelaide" and say that the north team and their top players have done very well in national tournaments. Bronze medal in 14s nationals (lost to gold medalist in semi - not bad considering their best big moved to Sturt the season prior), 4th in this year's classics (lost to gold medalist in semi final with their leading scorer limited to one quarter in the semi with a knee injury and out of bronze medal game after previously thrashing nunawading in quarter final who were number 1 ranked team going into tournament). Their players have performed very well individually in all the national tournaments over the years (southern cross/east coast, etc).

Then at this year’s nationals three of the best four performing players for SA Metro from a statistical standpoint were North (the other being the Sturt guard in my opinion). Both the SA Metro u16 2017 team (Sturt centric team) and 2018 SA metro u16 team (north centric team) lost in their respective quarter finals.

And while I’m at it, the Sturt 2002 players have gone exceptionally well for very little recognition from basketball Australia in Australian junior teams. I rate their nucleus very highly in particular their captain. But doesn’t that only further the debate re selection and criteria basketball Australia use? Or do I use you bringing up the Sturt 2002 group as an unsubstantiated allegation that you have to be writing on behalf of that group and then engage in unnecessary and rubbish negativity towards those players as others feel the need to do on this thread when it comes to the north and Norwood boys.

Also, none of the Sturt boys missed out on selection in lieu of the son of an administrator so not exactly apples with apples. If they did then quite fairly the same questions would be being asked. If I’m not making my point clear enough then if I mention an opinion that the Sturt classy humble guard is better than the SA metro player selected then does that entitle you to post that I’m just a bitter Sturt parent and there are a million reasons he didn’t make the cut?

For what it is worth that north group are well and truly focused on ncaa opportunities and certainly not wasting their time posting on Hoops about aus 15s selections. 3 of the boys already have USA offers and one has been invited to start training with the 36ers.

The minute the son of the high performance manager was picked there was always going to be discussion (whether that be fair or not) about Australian selections but don’t bring up north agendas and the like as trust me there are a lot more people than north people aware of the kid selected and his relationship to the high performance manager.

Good on the kids selected and let’s hope they and all the talented SA players continue to do well. The SA country kid is one of my favourite players in the age group.

Unreal that people can get on this forum and tear shreds of 15 year olds publicly and get enjoyment out of bagging other clubs. I respect and admire the success of the Sturt 2002 age group even though I’m not from Sturt. They are tough, cocky (in a good way), and bloody good.

Reply #720753 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

"i have to stop you there as these nations are not government funded these are ALL self funded. Any money raised is usually gone back into the national basketball program which is mainly for the seniors. the juniors are typically left for themselves to fend. the only time the government intervenes, is having the name on the jersey and thats about it"

You may want to check those “facts” these island teams are funded by government, these kids and communities couldn't self fund a weekend picnic
Check the FIBA site for just who actually backs them

Reply #720754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Steve for your input but let's be realistic , there are quite clearly no North boys who deserve National selection based on the current criteria and of course Joey will take the North boy as a development player , as for the rest , who knows what lies ahead , NCAA is a possibility but not div 1 as all too small , same reason they didn’t make ADC , however all high quality young 15 yo who should enjoy there bball but have been massively over hyped by the North propaganda

Reply #720900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No where in the post was there anything about any of the North players deserving national selection.

Just the message saying stop hating on the kids whether they be the Norwood kids or the North kids on this forum.

Reply #720902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You may want to check those "facts" these island teams are funded by government, these kids and communities couldn't self fund a weekend picnic
Check the FIBA site for just who actually backs them

i know for a fact that the samoa team itself had to raise funds themselves to fund their whole trip.

Reply #720906 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There are 2 possibly 3 North kids who will absolutely all day get a DIV 1 NCAA scholarship. Isaac White is 6'1 and a grinder, the 3 boys in mention are 6"1 and taller and 15 and still growing, so what in the hell are you talking about. Typical Australians hating.

Reply #720934 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Don't you have to be reasonably 'clever’ to get a Div 1 scholarship? Issac white is at f*cking Harvard!!! No way will one of them compete with that.

Reply #720941 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Iassac white is at Stanford you fool, obviously alot smarter than you !!!

Reply #720943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #720944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL

Stanford Vs Harvard

Full free ride vs non-athletic scholarship
Pac 12 vs Ivy League
West Coast vs East Coast

Bro - you a foool. Like most of the people posting rubbish here.

Reply #720945 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Oh, you know these North kids IQ's and school work ethics do you? you know how hard they work on and off the court? and yes, White is at Stanford, still an excellent university and yep, he worked hard for that, my comparison isn't these kids are better it is in direct reference to they will "never get a chance at Div 1" due to their height or some other nonsense. In the end, none of these kids are my own nor do i have any particular tie with any of them i just happen to believe they will make it and i am pleased they are surrounded by coaching staff and mentors who also believe that.

Reply #720953 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Taking to a forum to claim 15 years are overhyped, not good enough or won't make it is pathetic

Reply #720960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thi j the target here should be BA and BSA. Neither stepped in to promote a fair selection process.

And the result is Australia lost to NZ in the final.

Shame BA...Shame BSA

Reply #721030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the final. Finals are tomorrow.

Reply #721035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to schueller coaching this boys side?

I give lots of credit to York. Great coach. Miles ahead of butler.
Will Seebohm take over again or is this Tracy's team right through to Asia and worlds?

Reply #721038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sapphires looking really good under York at this early stage.
Asia will be a much harder test.

Reply #721283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exact opposite for the boys.
Geez, so bad...

Reply #721300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Down to the wire. Duach carrying the team late.

Reply #721312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure that York will be outcoachinga many at Asia qualifiers and (hopefully) world's, but we know she will be competent. She's had plenty of success previously.

Butler on the other is out of her depth.

Reply #721314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sapphires team was playing good d and moving the ball well and the team is at a younger age having never been at an u15 tournament. Good signs early.

Reply #721315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aus boys could pinch this at the death..

Reply #721316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great win to the Aussie boys

Reply #721318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, what a game!

Reply #721320 | Report this post

BigTime  
Years ago

You guys talking bad about the Norwood boys ever heard of a plus-minus? Look it up because they had 2 of the best 3.

Reply #721353 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hey Bigtime, you've got to be kidding me with that.

Reply #721357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haters just got to hate !

Reply #721362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Time

I will see your sarcasm and raise it 1 Billion.

Reply #721377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #721807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754