Anonymous
Years ago

Dante Exum's game

Watched a lot of the Christmas game today. Exum getting minutes playing backup point guard. He's a mixed bag for me at the moment. On one hand, you can see the physical tools that made him a high draft pick. He can get to his spots inside the arc reasonably comfortably, which is an asset. He could be handy as a guy off the bench to get you some scoring.

But he doesn't seem natural playing the point guard decision. In terms of making the right reads for where the ball should go. Even some times when he moved the ball to the right area the pass would be telegraphed. Needs to learn the subtleties of how to look the defence off and keep him off balance.

Is it just a lack of experience playing point guard and he'll get better with time? Or is he just not that type of player?

Topic #44519 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dante needs to get out of Utah he will flourish elsewhere.

Reply #724729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt it. He has good athleticism but zero skill. Officially a draft bust.

Reply #724731 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Mills was not a point guard, developed it quite late in career , and is somewhat of an asset now for the spurs. Give exum at least 2 more years. IMHO

Reply #724744 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Dante needs to get out of Utah he will flourish elsewhere."

Utah have given him opportunities and patience (and a big contract) that a lot of other teams would not have done.

He may well have been out of the league by now if it wasn't for Utah.

Reply #724756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He survived there this long mostly because the higher the draft pick the more embarrassing it is for a team to cut the player. Amazing to think he went #5 that year while Jokic went #41.

Reply #724782 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They really didn't have to give him 3 years - and dare I say it most teams wouldn't have done so given his injury history and prior lack of production.

1 year with a 1 year team option would have been generous as it was.

Anywhom, he played good on Christmas Day and contributed.

Reply #724786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played himself into a lottery pick by playing well in a junior tournament then hiding himself away. At least Simmons went to college for a year. Its no real surprise that he hasn't dominated. The deal Utah gave him was quite generous, doubt many other teams would have given him anything close to that. With time he may make himself into a serviceable guard like Livingstone but will need to work on the mental side of his game as his physical tools deteriorate.

Reply #724793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I agree he played well in Christmas and looked to have great potential. I was just wondering whether the lack of feel for the point guard position should be put down to inexperience or lack of ability

Reply #724798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams are going to become more cynical about these prospects that get up high on the big boards and then go into hiding. He could become a useful player but he's been disappointing overall.

Reply #724799 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Exum equal bust and he is on a terrible contract!!

Reply #724806 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"I was just wondering whether the lack of feel for the point guard position should be put down to inexperience or lack of ability"

Probably both of those things; or more correctly, it is simply the fact that he just isn't a natural PG and was never one.

I suspect that he was drafted as a combo-guard type, but when he shot the ball poorly in his first season, they probably realised those shooting concerns were legitimate and that he wouldn't have the shooting ability/efficiency to be a SG at NBA level - so I suspect that's when he was developed as a PG to maximise his passing/feel for the game and space to attack off the dribble.

He is very similar to Marcus Smart IMO.

Reply #724848 | Report this post

We talking about a fourth year player who's had two years ruined by injury. Give the kid a chance! All those calling him a bust must not be watching him today

Reply #724875 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Drops 20 today my gosh so done.

Reply #724901 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Yep, today's performance gave me a chuckle as these Dante threads pop up every few months. The guy just needs continuity. He was killing it today and has had some really good days this season, but he gets on the wrong end of some rotations with Snyder. Today was a great example where he should have played more based on how he was going. How awesome is it seeing him with the confidence to dunk it through traffic or face up embiid and drain the 3 on him. The couple of times he matched up with Ben was awesome to watch.

Reply #724902 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Where are all the haters now. The kids got talent and flows on the court. Needs continuity and watch him go.

Reply #724920 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"I was just wondering whether the lack of feel for the point guard position should be put down to inexperience or lack of ability".

I've seen plenty of examples of great court vision and some slick passes from Dante over the years, so I think there has always been the potential for him to be a point guard. I think that two things have limited his ability to develop as a point guard in the NBA though: his ball handling wasn't good enough and he has lacked the confidence to be more assertive when on court. Those two things have been compounded by all the time missed to injuries.

Its great to see him getting more opportunities this season. Hopefully he can continue to develop his ball-handling and a reliable pull-up J. If he does those two things he can still become a really good player.

Reply #724933 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

12 assists and 1 turnover today. And it's half time.

Reply #725065 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

Pure point guard

Reply #725066 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just watched Dante's 20 point game this morning. It was interesting to see that as he gained confidence during the game he went from barely dribbling with his left hand, to using it quite a lot. He’s still much stronger going right, but it was good to see him using his left hand effectively.

Reply #725074 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Started and finished with 13 points and 13 assists, 1 T/O. +19 in 26 minutes.

Reply #725075 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754