Wendy Byrd
Years ago

Do people like it when they play full songs at the game

I prefer just simple beats or instrumentals that the crowd can clap or chant alongside, rather than playing full songs at a very high volume that lasts several plays.

Is it an Australian basketball thing to play full songs? Feels like I'm at a concert instead of a game

Topic #44534 | Report this topic

RG  
Years ago

Personally, I would prefer them to cut the music significantly. There's far too much and far too loud. I often want to explain incidents to my wife, who's never played the game, but it's impossible to be heard.

Reply #725026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RG on the money, and just turn it down a bit.

Reply #725032 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

No, its shit as well as being too loud and too much of it. But the NBL will never tone it down. They've been doing this for years and despite getting lots of feedback, nothing ever changes.

Reply #725034 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"I prefer just simple beats or instrumentals that the crowd can clap or chant alongside" The latter part of this statement, definitely, but it takes each team having someone with knowledge of the game and entertainment to understand what to play and when. It's far better and involves the crowd much more than the playlist approach. If it's going to be loud, let the crowd generate most of the noise. Use music to manipulate the crowd.

The ideal flow should be:
basketball play -> crowd cheers/clapping -> specific music to sustain crowd noise with clapping etc.

Just playing a whole song or a playlist is a passive approach to entertainment. Music at basketball games should be to generate crowd involvement, especially after important passages of play for the home team. How is this not obvious to every team?

Reply #725037 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL clubs continue to amaze me with this. WTF were some of those songs being played at the Kings game today? You don't play full length tracks or songs with vocals during the game. You're supposed to play a certain beat or portion of one song and that's it. If however you really insist on playing *that* song just download the karaoke version sans vocals. It's not hard.

Reply #725041 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not sure what people have against vocals specifically. "Joker and the Thief" and "We Will Rock You" work, "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" doesn't.

Reply #725043 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#ToneItDown

Reply #725050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# TONE IT DOWN. SECONDED.

Reply #725051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with the rest of the comments... the music should be removed.
Replace it with NBA style beats/organs

Reply #725282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree. God only knows why the NBL persist with this music. NO ONE likes it.

Reply #725361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I enjoy boppin to the latest chart hits

Reply #725365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Not at the basketball though, just to make that clear)

Reply #725366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's not enough room in the stands for proper boppin

Reply #725368 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754