Anonymous
Years ago

Marshall Nelson, Makoto Hiejima and the like - no court time

There are a few fully-contracted players this year who haven't been getting much/any court time. Was wondering everyone's thoughts on this.

From my understanding, Hiejima underperformed in pre-season and perhaps is not up to standard at training sessions either, therefore has not yet debuted for the Bullets. There's also the issue of a language barrier between him and his teammates. Feel a bit bad though, he's 28 years old so probably wasting valuable time if he could be playing elsewhere.

Nelson - not sure what the issue is here?? From stats, I would assume he's giving the same amount of effort and energy as Illawarra's other rookies but just doesn't get the chance to play for long periods of time. Looks like the Hawks' DP got subbed on for 5 minutes to play and Nelson was only given the last second of the same game? Why is he not getting court time? I remember last season, management over at the Hawks had issues with Cody Ellis and he wasn't played at all. So maybe it's the same sort of thing.

Are there any other players who are under a full contract but are being benched for full games?

Topic #44545 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

McVeigh, Vague, Trist, Majok Majok, Acouth Deng, Deng Deng and Kuany Kuany have had varying stretches with minimal to no playing time. Such is the life of the 11th roster player: essentially a backup in the case of injuries.

I thought Nelson looked solid when I've seen him play, but is he better than Jett, Jackson, Naar, White or Grida? While sporting good depth in their guard rotation, the Hawks unfortunately have too many guys that don't excel, provide little shooting, and can only fill a niche role (with the exception of Grida, who is pretty well-rounded).

Reply #725209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hiejima underperformed in pre-season and perhaps is not up to standard at training sessions either, therefore has not yet debuted for the Bullets."

Hiejima has in fact appeared in three games this season, so "has not yet debuted" is inaccurate

http://www.nbl.com.au/player/makoto-hiejima

Reply #725214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist, Smith Milner seen very little court time and Moller totally under used due to Kennedy, McCarron and Goulding all sharing the three spot.

Reply #725217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above what are you smoking? Trist a 4, Smith-Milner a 5 and Moller is a 3/4 so the only one of three players mentioned actually blocking any significant time is Kennedy at the 3. Goulding is a 2, Kennedy a 3 and McCarron slides between 1-3

Reply #725225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller has an average on 17min per game. "Hardly utilised". Smoking what indeed.

Reply #725226 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Hiejima has only put up 1 shot this year for no score. He's played less than 2 min in 3 appearances. No other stats.

His stat line has flatlined.

There are a fair few players who just aren’t getting opportunities. 10th-11th man doesn’t seem to be a good spot to be in. Unless your team wins it all and you get a ring.

Reply #725227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hiejima getting the 11th spot is rubbish- would rather see that given to a young Aussie.

Why bring in a guy from Japan if you won't play him? Especially with lemanis coaching the national team.

Reply #725229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Squeezing 11 players into 40 mins is difficult with DPs occasionally getting spot time as well.

I'm in favour of 10 man rosters or go 12 man/48 min games.

Reply #725230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller is averaging 12 minutes a game and Trist is a 5man and Smith Milner a 4. When you consider Goulding moves into the three at times and McCarron plays the two with Kennedy in the 4 it makes sense. Moller also had 20 & 25 minute games earlier in the season when Goulding was injured so the average time don't always apply.Hooley probably thinks the same with Adnam getting 15 minutes in Sydney while he’s around 8 or 9. Smith Milner is a very good player and would not look out place at Cairns, even Sydney, Hawks etc.
Melbourne are a strong club with fantastic imports but some of the other clubs imports aren’t that great, that’s why Melbourne won the premiership and will give it another great shake this season.

Also as above pointed out very hard running 11 man rosters in 40 minutes per game so it makes it very tough in tight competition to get time for all understandably.
Will the lack off opportunity take young players to others sports in Australia, who knows? But time will tell.

Reply #725237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im surprised with Heijima - his reputation and play against Aus suggested he was better than to ride the pine.

Reply #725255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laughable by the Bulkets to sign on Hiejima and not play him.

For whatever reason he isn't being played, Brisbane have made it worse by not being transparent about the matter.

There has been reasonable interest of his addition by local Japanese, many of whom have been asking about the situation on the socials, nothing ever responded to.

Reply #725263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perfect time for Hiejima to get court time with Bullets up 30 at 3/4 time but he's out injured..

Reply #725278 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Hiejima wouldn't have got a run even if fit. There were plenty of opportunities earlier in the season but either Lemanis has forgotten him or just won't play him.

Reply #725314 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lemanis pissed at that Boomers loss?

Reply #725322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Moller is averaging 12 minutes a game" Bullshit. Go to the NBL website and check the facts. Seriously its not that difficult. The rest of your postulation is meaningless after that.

Reply #725379 | Report this post

Ummm  
Years ago

According to the NBL website he is averaging 12.4 minutes per game.
Totally reasonable to round that to 12 and the rest of that person's postulation remains perfectly valid.

Reply #725381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe you should learn to read stats properly, 17 games at 12.4 minutes. It means what I wrote makes a lot sense then and you know jack shit.

Reply #725383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading a number. Seriously it's not that difficult.

Reply #725386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Year GP GS Team Mins FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL TO PF PTS
2018-2019 17 0.0 Melbourne United 12.40

Reply #725388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My error. His numbers have dropped. However 12.4 mpg is not "totally under used" That is still Bullshit.

Reply #725391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's under used for a player of his talent, how many minutes would he get playing for Illawarra, cairns, would look good in a cats uniform as well plus a few others. Anyway each to their own, but learn to read stats, before slagging off people.

Reply #725394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't believe Moller and "player of his talent" are being used in the same sentence.

Reply #725425 | Report this post

Larry Byrd  
Years ago

People talk highly of Moller.
His ceiling is NBL role bench player.

Reply #725427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller is the next lucas walker, people talked of his potential for years and then one day bang he's 34

Reply #725443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haters going to hate, normally the ones that have never done anything, if it's not Cadee it’s moller or who ever takes their fancy. Get over your selves.

Reply #725445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel for Hiejima, poor guy would have preferred to be actually playing somewhere. It totally confuses me as to why they wouldn't just release him. Not playing combined with the language barrier must make for a lonely time in Australia as well.

Reply #725450 | Report this post

TrumpD  
Years ago

Moller does have a championship ring and is out of contract this season. Lets see Illawarra or Cairns (if they still exist) sign him.
As 445 said above the haters who have no game and never achieved anything at an elite sporting level or probably in life will always hate cos they have nothing else to do in life. Sad people.

Reply #725457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@TrumpD

Good point, Melbourne championship ring, captained Hobart to championship ring and played for Australia all in 2018 all be it the second string Australian side, still a very good effort.
Hiejima is injured I believe, was always going to be hard getting game time behind Cadee and Glidon.

Reply #725459 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

@Trump D good call on my man Moller.
If he got double the minutes he'd be VERY effective.

I think last time I checked he was shooting a better % on 3s & 2s the McCarron & some of the more established stars.

Sometimes young guns just need a chance.

Ditch the 3rd import for all clubs, go with two gun imports & let every team have more time for one more quality Aussie young gun. There's plenty of them out there!

Reply #725529 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"I feel for Hiejima, poor guy would have preferred to be actually playing somewhere.

If he wanted out, he would be out.

"It totally confuses me as to why they wouldn't just release him."

Because Brisbane would have to pay him the bulk of his contract.

Reply #725531 | Report this post

TrumpD  
Years ago

Air Delay thanks for the support. And yet another anonymous.
Moller has over achieved. As anonymous said. He plays a role and I know he is happy with that. As I said earlier he is out of contract this season. Let's see who stumps up. I know he has a Southern inclination.
The hacks here who think they know anything about the game must be on crack. Or pulling their pud in the centrelink line. Sad people.

Reply #725561 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754