Jack Toft
Years ago

New Zealand v Perth Jan 6

Perth dodged a bullet in Cairns in their last game and New Zealand broke the Sixers heart two days ago.

Today they meet in Spark Arena where the Sparks might fly. An interesting stat on the NBL broadcast the other game comparing the home and away fouls per team. Perth the odd man out committing an extra 6 fouls per game on the road. Gee do they change their style that much on the road?

Cotton is back for this, Damien Martyn's 300th game. What a stellar career for the 6x NBL defensive player who has four NBL premiership rings.

New Zealand are still in the hunt and despite a fast turnaround for this game should provide a great game.

I think, however, unless the Breakers have brought their garlic and wooden stakes, Perth will knock them off today. I suppose to increase their chances that's why they are having a day game instead of a night game.

Perth to suck the blood out of the Breakers by 5

Topic #44580 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say Perth dodged a bullet. They were without Cotton and still pissed it in.
But NZ are looking much better and Perth seem to struggle a bit over there so this could be close especially with Cotton still not 100% and Martin carrying a hand injury now too.

Reply #726184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game time is 2pm local time, was this always the case?

Reply #726188 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Surely the travel and 1.5 day turnaround will screw with NZ against a fresh Perth. Perth should definitely win this

Reply #726190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9am Perth time frees up home opens for Dazz.
NZ were great against Adelaide but Perth are a much higher quality opponent.

Reply #726194 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Been three interesting games . Now , back to the refs v perth , boring

Reply #726201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whining about refs before the game starts is even more boring.

Reply #726207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there is one guy for Perth that I could tolerate and admire its Martin.

Reply #726208 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Desperation game for both teams with Perth fighting to stay on top and NZ fighting to stay in the race.
Perth in a close one.

Reply #726211 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

9AM on a Sunday. Oh, the humanity!

Reply #726214 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice to have you back, Bryce :)

Reply #726216 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Cotton is just as much a flopper/contact accentuator as anyone in the league with the way he whips body parts in different directions

Reply #726218 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I really like listening to the Sky Sports commentary team. Frank used to be difficult on the ears but he's really grown in to the role well.

Also I have a man crush on Wesley, dude's moves in the post are so pretty.

Reply #726219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grown man playing like the grown man. GUN.

Reply #726222 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Damn. Slept in. Missed half the game :(

Reply #726223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cotton is just as much a flopper"

No he isn't.

Reply #726224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he is, good game on here.

Reply #726227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay 2 FGA, Martin 5 FGA. not smart

Reply #726228 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Long is a guy NZ should look to sign next season as well.

Imagine a Wiley-Long frontcourt tho. That'd be fire in Adelaide, shame DJ is there. He can come to the Taipans, DJ, always plays well up there

Reply #726229 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Import PG
Sobey
Wiley
Long

All in the starting lineup in Adelaide with Joey as coach would be about as entertaining as the NBL could get

Reply #726230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep this discussion in the Sixers 19/20 thread please

Reply #726232 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good game so far. Both teams executing pretty well. Only 14 total fouls called.

Reply #726234 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Long is challenging Bogut for the NBL All 5 centre spot

Reply #726235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of a flop by Jervis, but the last 2 times he has stood his ground the refs have called him for a foul. Kind of can't blame him.

Reply #726237 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Perth man offence has been carving us up. When we get back to that 122 active zone we are better able to take Cotton out of play. Right in this. Long is dominating.

Reply #726238 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Jack, he's in a purple patch but I'm not even putting him in the NBL's top 5 period. Bogut is the MVP imo. But Long is probably the second-best big, can give him a spot next to Bogut in the First Team

Reply #726239 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

This small line up with Finn, Moore at 4,5 just looks great on D !!!!

Reply #726241 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes, fair to say NZ are right in this I suppose

Reply #726242 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Moore finally looking like Draymond Green. Just needs more nut shots. And maybe Draymond needs to do some pushups on Bogdan Bogdanovic

Reply #726243 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

That charge call on the leg extension and flop from Jervis is what I'm talking about.....FFS!!

Reply #726244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another shit 3rd quarter from Perth

Reply #726245 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

The small 5 just can't get it going offensively. Bring back Long!

Reply #726246 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

They brought him back. bugger.

Reply #726247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GROWN MAN

Reply #726248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LONG MAN

Reply #726249 | Report this post

Kevin Booth  
Years ago

take another wild layup why dont you Norton ffs

Reply #726250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"take another wild layup why dont you Norton ffs"

No idea why you would do that, he had so much space out on thr 3 point line too, I'd rather him pull up and shoot than drive and toss uo a garbage layup.

Reply #726251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah some of Norton's shot selection was terrible in the second half.

Reply #726252 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Oh what a game Breakers. Abercrombie has limped through this game contributing zippo shows up big down the stretch, intimidating Norton's drives and pulling down big rebounds.
Starting to believe!!!!!

Reply #726253 | Report this post

26 Free throws to 9
The funny thing is, if this game was in Perth, there is NO CHANCE this would be the FT count.

NBL referees are not professional referees, they are nthing but home crowd cheer leaders

Reply #726254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shawn Long gone past Kay for First Team All NBL. He's a monster.

Reply #726255 | Report this post

Do NBL referees think they will get laid by the cheerleaders if they favour the home team?

Reply #726256 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Super impressive performance by the Breakers.

Reply #726257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guessing game by the refs, along with terrible shot selection from Perth and some questionable rotations by Trevor, saw a 13-0 run go to the Breakers. At least Perth could have controlled two of those things.

Reply #726258 | Report this post

Kevin Booth  
Years ago

Norton was out of control a lot of the time and I think forgot he was a PG with Cotton & Steindl on the floor in the third.

Mind you why would Gleeson keep sending it in to the post when Brandt & Kay at least today had absolutely no answer to Long or Wesley.

Then Gleeson brings Steindl back in with 0:52 left down 10. That'll do it Trev. lol.

Bad loss.

Reply #726259 | Report this post

The referees just want to be liked by the home crowd.

Thats all.

This is why this league will NEVER grow. Rubbish officiating

Reply #726261 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Breakers attacking inside though Wesley & Long, Cats attacking from the perimeter through Cotton & White. Gee I wonder why the Breakers might have collected more FTA this game.

Reply #726262 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Shawn Long wow. Not sure how you can't put him ahead of Bogut. His offensive game is so much better. Sure Bogut is a better shot blocker and rebounder but there's not a huge gap between him and Long is these areas. What a beast.

Reply #726263 | Report this post

Right Luuuc, and when the Breakers played the Wildcats in Perth earlier this season, the game plan was no different, yet the FT count was the complete opposite.

That is why this league will never grow. The officiating is disgustingly bad.

Just people letting the home crowd dictate there thoughts and actions.

They are not professional officials. Just a bunch of people who want to be liked

Reply #726264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought Abercrombie was great all game, his defence on White early set the tone and he finished magnificently. Wesley and Long great, very very enjoyable game.

Perth still got six homes games and will probably get first spot still, though there bench is looking old, Steindl not giving anything, Kay and Norton look like they have tired as well.

Reply #726265 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Love the way the Breakers are playing right now...

Reply #726266 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The referees just want to be liked by the home crowd.

Thats all.

This is why this league will NEVER grow. Rubbish officiating

Good to see you've changed your theory from the one you were pushing for the first few months - about the refs favouring Perth wherever we play because of some supposed head office conspiracy.

Reply #726267 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Gleesons rotations in the fourth quarter are head scratching.

Reply #726268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson always lets leads evaporate and then sits back watching some random rotation of players with little scoring to somehow figure it out

Reply #726269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would you call that four upsets in a row. Look out Melbourne

Reply #726270 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We're horrible.

Reply #726271 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth still got six homes games and will probably get first spot still, though there bench is looking old, Steindl not giving anything, Kay and Norton look like they have tired as well.

We were pretty good in 3 of the 4 quarters. The 3rd was truly horrible, but I've got to think that's correctable. Steindl being up & down is nothing new (although opponents are doing better of exploiting his lack of D, which is an issue). Norton & Kay are still quality.
I don't know that we will probably get first spot though - our form is patchy so that's still very much there for the taking. But I still don't see anything to panic about. An early game in NZ isn't easy from Perth.

Reply #726272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone actually buying Perthworld's routine of being a disenfranchised Perth supporter?

Reply #726277 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Are we actually buying what the club is serving up right now?

Last 5 games form:

#8 Perth 1-4

Last 10 games form:

#7 Perth 4-6 (only Cairns are worse)

Disgusting!

Reply #726278 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Is anyone actually buying Perthworld's routine of being a disenfranchised Perth supporter?

They use the word "we" when referring to Perth so it totally checks out.
100%

Reply #726281 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Been a supporter since 1990. Heaps of club merchandise in my house. Trolls who say otherwise = *yawn*

Reply #726282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I regret buying tickets to two more games. These guys are cooked

Reply #726289 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not even cooked but roasted. The rest of the fanbase don't seem to think so and are lapping it up and will continue to throw money at it. Sheep.

Reply #726292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So stop being a member then. If you don't like what the team is doing, put your money where your mouth is and stop attending or watching games.

Reply #726298 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Being a club supporter transcends ownership groups. They are always temporary, I will play the long game.

At the moment only watch through TV so they get basically zilch from me.

Reply #726299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Inexcusable to not call a timeout in that 3rd quater. Wildcats last score was midway through that quarter. The only adjustments were subs...in such a competive league with only 10 minute quarters. You need to be able to stop the rot before it sets in. The 3rd is where games are won and to not use a timeout is bad.

Reply #726300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could always try shutting the fuck up?

Reply #726301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"At the moment only watch through TV so they get basically zilch from me."

luckily we all still get to hear your non stop crying here

Reply #726303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not buying in to your doomsday comments does not make people sheep. The Cats are contenders, have been for every season for the past decade, have won 4 titles in that time, but the moment they look a little shaky you decide the sky is falling in and spend every waking hour bagging them and their fans.

You're not proving anything.

Reply #726304 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#726300 less money being spent so Gleeson isn't looking so great anymore.

Reply #726305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long is everything i hoped Cooke Jr would be, and more.

Reply #726306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #726342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is just as much a flopper/contact accentuator as anyone in the league with the way he whips body parts in different directions

He definitely flops. He is not close to being the worst IMO. Somewhere in the middle of the pack. I suspect he has done himself a disservice with his flopping, with refs requiring a bit of convincing, at least on drives.

However, IMO, he is also about the worst victim of illegal screens. He gets pushed all over the place, with very few calls. NBL refs are terrible at officiating screens, and all teams make the most of it. Cotton is diminutive, and relies on his speed, so is affected badly from the non calls on those bumps. It happens on and off ball. I particularly hate the off ball action, as it illegally prevents him getting to his open spot for catch and shoot opportunities. This is exactly what the reform in the rules is intended to prevent.

Cotton has also eliminated most of his driving game. He is often bumped on the drive with no call. Small players can't score that way. You see him settle for the floater now instead. Unfortunately, Perth don't have other players capable of driving to the rim off the dribble (Norton doesn't count, as he's out of control half the time, and plays well below the rim).

Reply #726358 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

How come Long didn't get a technical for saying the F word in the final quarter?

Reply #726359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth still believes they don't need a third import then wow

Reply #726364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trev, he said it to no one in particular. Didn't deserve a tech.

Reply #726378 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Cats are contenders
The Wildcats haven't beaten anyone except Cairns since the FIBA break.

Reply #726383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne only slightly better.

Reply #726386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? Is "form since FIBA break" the only metric to measure if a team is in with a chance to win a title?

Reply #726400 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"So? Is "form since FIBA break" the only metric to measure if a team is in with a chance to win a title?"

Recent form carries more weight than more distant form.

Some teams have added new imports (Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney) since early season.

So winning lots of early games isn't as weighty a metric as your results in Dec/Jan. A squad that was good enough to win, say 80%, may only win 40% if they haven’t added anything extra.

The NBL has featured personnel changes consequential changing fortunes of teams. Any league in any sport that permits recruitment in-season will exhibit this. It’s pretty obvious really.

That said, there are still more twists and turns- enjoy the spectacle and drama.

Reply #726404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth absolutely need a third import pronto

Reply #726410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if you're being pedantic an audible obscenity is a technical foul

Reply #726411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who have the Kings added as an import?

You're basically just describing recency bias, then cherry picking some stats to support it.

Reply #726412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your argument is about as good as the one people use where they say Team A beats Team B by 20, and Team B beats Team C by 20, therefore Team A will beat Team C by 40.

Reply #726414 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

After today's loss slowly some people are coming around.

Reply #726425 | Report this post

jimjimthedogboy  
Years ago

I think there are enough losses to indicate 'current form' and 'current standing' without being dismissed as recency bias. The purpose of deliberating a decision is to influence the near future, based on behavior of the recent past. It is the form at the end of the season that counts most.

Reply #726453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley made Kay's spot in the nbl first team look very doubtful, the grown man to many offensive tricks up his sleave for Kay to defend.

Reply #726475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All NBL teams aren't decided by who won a random match-up. Its about performance over the season.

Reply #726477 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

It was Long who said the F word as he was frustrated running back. Trev was pointing to the Long trying to get the ref to tech foul Long for using the F word.

Reply #726478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai did the same thing when Vukona went on a rant the other night.

Reply #726481 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Trev was probably using the F word while dobbing in Long.

Reply #726499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley is performing better than last season, he's the best four - five man in the competition.

Reply #726519 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I got a bet in when this game ended of NZ to win the title @ $21. Has come into $8 now, should I cash it out or reckon they can make the top 4?

Reply #726726 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'll probably monitor for now, see how they go against Sydney this week.

Reply #726728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wesley is performing better than last season, he's the best four - five man in the competition."

Nick Kay has had a much better season than Wesley.

Reply #726730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley is not even the best 4/5 on his own team.

Reply #726731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Nope nope and nope

Reply #726732 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Senator11 nice scalping there. Since Long is heating up now wait and see?

Reply #726737 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Senator11 nice scalping there. Since Long is heating up now wait and see?"

Yeah I think I will wait and see, got to monitor this won and my Harden MVP cashout.

Reply #726743 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754