Jack Toft
Years ago

Adelaide v Perth Jan 17

I don't have to tell anyone it's been hot in Adelaide this week. I've seen a few horned people running around with pitchforks, and I thank those Perth fans for coming over early.

Big news this week with Ramone Moore out injured and replaced by Shaun Bruce. Jesse "Stuart" Wagstaff has engineered a stella career and tonight suits up for game 300, a massive milestone in anyone's language, so we wish him a great game tonight (but not too good...) Anyone who can rock a man bun deserves good things to happen to him.

Massive game in the scheme of the season. Perth (12/8) are sitting in 3rd with Brisbane (11/9) putting the pressure on them. They have lost 3 out of their last 4 games, but usually do enough to get into finals. Adelaide (10/10) had an opportunity against Brisbane last round but had a Barry Crocker. Not a good night for Sobes, but everyone can have a bad game every so often. But a team is not just one man and that's when others lift.

A win to Perth tonight would see them firm up their finals credentials and put the pressure right on the Sixers. A Sixers win would see them keep on the shoulder of Brisbane.

Plenty of reasons for both teams to get a win tonight, but it might be the case of who plays the better second half. I'm thinking the Perth Devil-Cats might just burn the Sixers, and their season.

Topic #44639 | Report this topic

Pete  
Years ago

We're supposed to lose. So we might win.
The margin for error is razor thin.

We either play well or like total shit.
Reward my faith or extinguish it!

I'm too nervous whenever it comes to Perth games; my absolute hatred runs too deep. Ever since Joe-Joe was mauled to oblivion by Vlahov and Fisher in the finals out west, my rage has been at peak levels for the black and red.

25 years ago, my brother would rock up to our members seats in a #15 Grace top and my Dad would have to separate us to quell the violence. I still remember the boos and food thrown.

Good times.

Reply #728544 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sixers with Sobey to explode. Too much to play for to let this slip. Perth on steady decline - Sixers too much talent. DJ drimic deng Wiley big froling time to put on a show. Sixers by 12plus.

Reply #728545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pessimistic Perth fan in me says that Moore's injury will inspire Sobey to dominate the game in the most annoying way possible.

Reply #728546 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm kinda nervous about what the 36ers could do to us tonight if they smell blood in the water and get rolling.
Heaps at stake in this one. Character test time for the Cats.

Reply #728548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesse Wagstaff loves these milestone games. In fact, the last time he played well was his 200th.

Reply #728550 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I think your write up is being generous to Perth Jack.
Neither team is playing like a finals bound team.
Someone has to win so I will pick Adelaide and hope I'm wrong as usual.

Reply #728552 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What is Wrong with Perth's Offence?
(Written for nbl.com.au by Tom Hersz)

Reply #728555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats to have a 16 point lead in the second half and then lose by 10.

Reply #728561 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Perth have got this one easy.

All they have to do is play a zone, pressure the ball carrier enough and the 36ers will capitulate in the 2nd half once again.

Reply #728562 | Report this post

Poopoo  
Years ago

Adelaide by 10.

Reply #728564 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I could see us jagging this game at home tonight and then getting destroyed in the next two in Perth.

Sixers by 4 points

Reply #728570 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Saw that article luuuc. Biggest takeaway for mine is the reduction in fta, and after last weeks cairns game it is clear they are just settling for jumpers. If they do attack the rim, they just give up if they don't get the call, go back to jumpers. 7-10pts at the line would bump their score back up to low 90's, that right there is the difference between good cats and bad cats. This game could get very ugly from a basketball standpoint, 6ers not knowing how to attack a zone and perth relying on late shot clock cotton against a double team...

Reply #728578 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hogwash, I quite agree! Both teams are probably the worst two teams for form at the moment

Reply #728580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers by 8 to 14 until the 4th then win by 2.

Reply #728583 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Jesse "Stuart" Wagstaff has engineered a stella career“

So, has his career been “stellar", or has he been drinking “stella” artois throughout his career? I've never seen a white singlet under his uniform, but who knows.

Seriously, another good write up. Already created differences of opinions.

My tip is Adelaide to toast the Wildcats. Without their avocado import the toast will be more blue collar, so maybe Froling and Teys to have big games. Or blue collar Wagstaff might have a big game before celebrating with his blue collar beer.

It’s all too had to predict now.

Reply #728590 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wildcats to have a 16 point lead in the second half and then lose by 10.

Sounds familiar

it is clear they are just settling for jumpers. If they do attack the rim, they just give up if they don't get the call, go back to jumpers.

Yep.
We often look for Angus on the first play of the match, and then mostly ignore him for the next 39.5 minutes.
But it's just a generally passive mindset from everyone that seems to cause the chokes. Every time the lineups on the floor change, every player should be asking themselves what ways they can potentially score. That should include some of them looking for O-boards occasionally.

Reply #728591 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Agreed o boards are a necessity for Perth, and the best way to stop transition offence (Adelaides bread and butter) also happens to be scoring.

Reply #728598 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Time to feed the ball into Brandt and Kay, if we keep relying on our shooting we'll lose (unless of course we shoot lights out).

Reply #728601 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

All they have to do is play a zone, pressure the ball carrier enough and the 36ers will capitulate in the 2nd half once again.

Every team can be beaten "easily" by a sentence - actually doing it is another. You could say beating Perth is just as easy as not letting Cotton score more than 20.

If Perth miss a lot of shots (which is highly likely given their poor offense as of late) and don't get back, ADL will murder them in the open floor.

Reply #728604 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Correct that they need to use the post more. They run a post oriented offensive game plan but haven't been dropping the ball in nearly as much as they did earlier in the season.

Reply #728605 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Is Cotton playing?

Reply #728607 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Guess this game and no announcement ends all speculation on another import. With the next 8 games all against good teams, we will find out what the team is made of.

Reply #728608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I predict that the fans of the team that loses will accept the loss graciously, and this thread post-game will be full of respectful and polite conversation.

Reply #728609 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

This one shapes as a huge grudge match with both teams desperate for a win and so much on the line. Perth have stated this week they need to increase their intensity levels and i expect adelaide to respond in kind. I envisage a fouling and flopping encounter with a few tech fouls and an ejection. If coach joey can keep his shirt on the sixers should just prevail.

Adelaide by 4

Reply #728617 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Is Cotton playing?

Yes, according to the news last night he is good to go.

Reply #728618 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I predict this thread will largely discuss anything but the game.
Maybe expect bitching about refs, flog and flop references and the all time classic our team is better than yours despite either team being legitimate contenders.

Reply #728620 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If both teams could somehow lose that would be great

Reply #728622 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If there's anything outside of a 3rd import that might get Perth's offense going, it's probably Adelaide's defense.

Adelaide should win on form, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Cotton/Kay have big games and the Wildcats pick up a W.

Reply #728627 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Macdub...Those are things that are easy to do and Perth don't even have to do any of those things particularly well - just implement them and it will go a long way to defeating the 36ers.

On offense all Perth have to do is have Cotton and Steindl camp in either corner and the 36ers will give them open shots all game.

Reply #728630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats by about 5 or Sixers by 15+
I could see it going either way depending on whether the sixers do or don't get rolling and into downhill skiing bully mode

Reply #728632 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"I predict that the fans of the team that loses will accept the loss graciously, and this thread post-game will be full of respectful and polite conversation."

Comedy gold.

Reply #728638 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Wildcats are playing poorly and shooting poorly.

There are too many people in the team not performing to expectations.

I think ADL only due to the home court advantage and I think Drmic will do better for the extra time without Moore.

Reply #728639 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Game predictions (hopeful)

- Cotton to do Cotton things
- Drmic to be ejected
- Wagstaff to finally play a good game this season
- Sobey to get benched late for Doyle/Bruce because Joey Wright
- Brandt to double double
- Wiley to flex, yell and carry on after scoring his first points early in the 2nd half
- Homicide to still be a flog whether he's commentating or not

Reply #728683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel slight favourites. No Moore will that be the difference for the Wildcats to win?
Sixers. $1.70.
Wildcats. $2.18

Reply #728688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Adel slight favourites. No Moore"

No, they're still slight favourites.

Reply #728690 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Any chance McVeigh gets on court with Moore out?

Reply #728692 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon 690

No Moore are Adelaide favourites.

No Adel either. He's playing G-League I n a 2 way deal, isn’t he?

Reply #728696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Adel are Moore favourites.

Reply #728697 | Report this post

DIONE69  
Years ago

would you bet an over or under ? settled around 183 pts

Reply #728698 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Perth and Adelaide match up well. Both are not the biggest teams in the league and struggle against the likes of Shawn Long or Bogut. Should be a good game. The way the Wildcats have played lately they will need 70+ combined from Cotton, White & Kay to be in with a chance.. or maybe 50 from Cotton himself.. and therein lies their weakness

Reply #728699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth by 35

Reply #728700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"would you bet an over or under ? settled around 183 pts"

That's like a 92-91 scoreline so I'd be going unders considering Perth are averaging low 80s lately

Reply #728702 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Drimic is a flog!

Reply #728703 | Report this post

No One Ever  
Years ago

Excellent, we've got Homicide on commentary for this one.

Reply #728704 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Believe it or not, I like it when Homocide calls Perth games. Great entertainment value and he has no problems making statements that the others would shy away from. Like him or not, in time he could prove dead right about the Wildcats this year.

Reply #728706 | Report this post

TM  
Years ago

Game prediction
Adelaide will have the best "new player" stats

Reply #728707 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Adelaide by 8. Sobey with 22 pts. DJ with 8 rebounds. Cotton and Terrico to lead Perth. Wagstaff to hit 2 three pointers.

Reply #728709 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Adelaide 94 Perth 86

Reply #728710 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Adelaide 97 Perth 78

Reply #728711 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Homicide to start 27 sentences with "Definitely"

Reply #728712 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Luuuc haha

Reply #728714 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I can already sense Rhys Vague is going to dominate tonight for -15.

Reply #728715 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I just turned it on as tip-off happened.. Vague starting at 5??? Is Brandt injured?

Reply #728716 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth announce Rhys Vague is now their 3rd import. Looks like a better shooter than White, at least.

Reply #728717 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Perth playing spread offense rather than flex. So playing 4 out set, no doubt the reason for the lineup change. Good offensive adjustment. 3 postups for Kay and 1 for Vague in the first few possessions also

Reply #728718 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Refs robbing us blind so far

Reply #728720 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Just saw flex in transition off the make and horns the following play. I like the 4 out spread with a legit post threat

Reply #728721 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol @ that Perth sequence.

Reply #728723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are Adelaide so protected?

Reply #728724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrico just got assaulted, how can it not be a foul running into the back of a player shooting a layup...

Reply #728725 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Tough call on Brandt for his second foul

Reply #728726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is how refs turn a game. Perth finally rock up so they swallow the whistle, and call bs at the other end.

Reply #728727 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

As the ref complaints start rolling in I should probably mention that my robbing blind post was just a joke

Reply #728728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can Drmic complain about that? Joey, being mentally challenged, I can understand, but oh my god Adelaide are horrible to watch.

Reply #728729 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Brick Mode engaged for Perth

Reply #728731 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Cotton clocked in the face, mcveigh carry on like that no t??? Wow

Reply #728732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's nice of McVeighs doctors to let him out of the psych ward to play each week.

Reply #728733 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Well done Joey.. it was a good call

Reply #728734 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Could smell the Wagstaff flop as soon as Froling put the ball on the floor.

Reply #728735 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wow Perth's offence is abysmal.

Reply #728736 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Froling on a tear.

Reply #728737 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Refs wow wow. How hard is it.

Reply #728738 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Perth scoreless for 5 mins before Norton buzzer beater.. sound familiar? Literally have to play Cotton for the rest of the game no sub to stand a chance here.

Reply #728739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth started settling for jumpers, it won't work. They have to take the contact even if they don’t get the calls by working it inside. Having said that, the foul trouble their big men copped, a little questionably according to the commentary team suggests going inside will be harder.

Reply #728740 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Mitch Norton loses his footing again.

Reply #728741 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Burning Cotton out.
No Steindl is he injured?

Reply #728742 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No minutes available for Steindl behind Vague and Hire.

Reply #728743 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Adelaide 16 points in the paint so far- danger signs there, also 9 offensive boards vs 12 defensive for Perth.. not looking good. And Froling is a beast tonight

Reply #728744 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ouch. Kay gets his 3rd :/

Reply #728746 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Wow 3 on Kay, 2 on Brandt. This could get ugly

Reply #728747 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Let kay play! That is comical. As was congers flop.

Reply #728748 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Kay and Johnson locked arms, they call it on Kay just because heis the defender. Play on.

Reply #728749 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Absolutely pathetic. I've never seen that type of run in the NBL before. Wildcats organisation are in denial!

Reply #728751 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Look out 36ers if we start passing the ball to our own players

Reply #728752 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Mitch Norton sucks balls

Reply #728753 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think even Sobey felt bad for the Wildcats there and gave it up to Wiley to demonstrate how to pass to your own players.

Reply #728754 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Adelaide a 9-0 run in 56 seconds between timeouts.. ouch!

Reply #728755 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Not even a 36ers fan, but I love watching the 36ers when they're in this mood! Crowd into it too. Entertaining.

Reply #728756 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

SIXERS. Game over.explosive.

Reply #728757 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I like the change up here, iso Vague.

Reply #728758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling is a flopping bitch

Reply #728759 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

4 turnovers the last 8 possessions for Perth. Have to look after the ball against this team or be prepared to watch dunks all night

Reply #728760 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think Vaguey gave him a decent barge on that one.

Reply #728761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide get the worst home reffing. Just sayin

Reply #728762 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Stupid play by Vague there. You can tell he intentionally wanted to hit Froling on that screen so moved into him. They'd been going at it all night.

Reply #728763 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Perth are starting to come apart at the seams. Why do they run flex when they never ever hit the cutter off the flex cut?

Reply #728764 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Feels like Adelaide would be up by 15 or so right now if Conger hadn't started chucking up crap contested 3s without even trying to run anything offensively.

Reply #728765 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That was a nice finish from McVeigh.

Reply #728766 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Did someone forgot to turn the air con on?

Reply #728767 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Perth getting beaten off the dribble way too much, even Damo. With the starters out there Perth can score with them but I get the feeling Adelaide will wear them down and blow this out late in the third or in the fourth. This is Adelaide tempo

Reply #728768 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Somehow it's a two point game at HT.

Reply #728769 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So after all that layup practice we gave Adelaide somehow we ended up winning the quarter?? Weird.
Stoked to be down just 2. Should be more like 15.

Reply #728770 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

We're doing cheeseburgers on and-1s now?

Reply #728771 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

2 point game at the half is a lot closer than the game feels. Perth needs to slow the tempo down because they can't run with Adelaide. Execute in the half court, get Kay back out there and they may hang in there for awhile but I still think Adelaide blow this open late

Reply #728772 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It's a causation thing that is keeping Perth in it. They're offense is helping their defence.

That is, them making shots = Adelaide can't run/push = put Adelaide into a half-court game = reduce ADL scoring = better defense

If they can continue making shots they stay in it, but if they miss a bunch and ADL push they are in trouble.

Sometimes offense is the best type of defence I guess!

Reply #728773 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Jervis is a DNP so far. With them going a single postup player in their lineup he is suddenly superfluous to their requirements this game at least. Perth would be happy to be down 2 considering they gave up 32 points in the paint and points off turnovers is 10 to 0.

Reply #728774 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wiley's story pretty impressive, have to say.

Reply #728775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screw Wiley

Reply #728776 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No thanks. Enjoyed his story though. I'd rate it ahead of Cadee's car accident and Kev White being forced to drive 40 minutes down the Princes Highway.

Reply #728777 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Yeah great story on Jacob Wiley. Great to see people use basketball to overcome adversity in their personal lives

Reply #728778 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Jervis isn't playing because he will get cut if the Wildcats keep losing. Lose to Adelaide and Melbourne then 3rd import will be here. Jervis goes to Brisbane where his wife is.

No idea why Jervis chose to go back to Perth. He's a loyal guy and wants championships but his family is in Brisbane. His heart just isn't in it.

Cutting Jervis is a win win for the Wildcats and for Jervis.

Reply #728779 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Everyone has a story to tell, not just sports people, but everyone. Wiley is no special.

Reply #728781 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wiley's dad was one of those white Americans who can't ball.

Reply #728782 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

OFFS

Reply #728783 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Gees Cotton is a genius creating his own shot.. catch is Perth needs another 15 or 20 just the same

Reply #728784 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

It's one thing to front the post, another thing to do it fundamentally correct. Have to hook back the high foot and spin back off the reverse pivot. Adelaide track meet again to start the third

Reply #728786 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wiley doing OK for himself. Fairly special I'd say.

Reply #728787 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Kay gets another foul so perth rush their offence... a corner three in transition is asking to get scored on..

Reply #728788 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gleeson basically said nothing in the huddle that was constructive.

Reply #728789 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Perth are well and truly cooked. Sixers by plenty and more. 2019 3 wins v Perth guarantee

Reply #728790 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

When you don't go to school of course you'll send your frustrated father to be an alcoholic

Reply #728791 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Yeah a postup.. Perth needs more postups, their overall points per possession of postup plays would be interesting to see- no doubt more efficient than anything else they do

Reply #728792 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Perth should improve their transition defence. Only have 1 crashing the boards and get the other 4 back ASAP

Reply #728793 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Jervis isn't playing because he will get cut if the Wildcats keep losing. Lose to Adelaide and Melbourne then 3rd import will be here.
If they're going to sign someone they have to play the Melbourne game on Sunday.

Reply #728794 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Adelaides only problem is recognising when the defense is back on their run outs and not forcing the play and turning it over. They get that right they win this by 30

Reply #728795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Part of me wants us to lose this.

Probably hoping it'll force them to finally make some changes, but i don't see it happening now.

This has been such a wasted year. Having a gun like Cotton who you can build a championship around, Kay who has been arguably the best PF, probably the kast season we will get something half decent out of Damo. Perth should be doing everything possible to push for a championship.

Reply #728796 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Mitch Norton can't finish

Reply #728797 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Thanks KR.. yes they need 7 games to qualify. Bear in mind Adelaide are a smaller running team so Jervis would be more suited to the Melbourne, Sydney, NZ matchups

Reply #728798 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Some serious home cooking here

Reply #728799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson explaining what happened in that Adelaide run and wasting valuable time. Yes they made a 3. Got transition baskets. Yes. Good work at least he is aware. How about coaching them on what to do to get out of the mess

Reply #728800 | Report this post

DIONE69  
Years ago

betting unders in this league is juste a waste of money , crazy the amount of shoots and fouls and 3's they taking per minute...and i'm not talking about the defense..crazy

Reply #728801 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Adelaide run good half court offense, just need that recognition to know the difference between that and a runout- it's a read obviously

Reply #728802 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Wagstaff didn't even touch Deng

Reply #728803 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Teys schools Damo. An era has officially ended.

Reply #728804 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Gleeson did tell them to post Brandt out of the timeout and it produced a score, and now a foul. I'm not a Gleeson fan but the players on the floor can’t get sucked into Adelaide’s track meet tempo.. "wide pin down" on this play by 36ers, let’s have a look

Reply #728805 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is McVeigh ADHD?

Reply #728806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wtf has happened to Brandts freethrows lately

Reply #728807 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Screener flares vs slower defender, nice quick hitter

Reply #728808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If kay keeps getting called for a tiny arm denying the post, then why wasnt wiley called for doing it to brandt then...

Reply #728810 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Hire is no threat from the 3, can't guard out high off the dribble or running cut, which is Adelaide’s game basically.. what is he doing out there? This lady 2:50 is danger time for Perth

Reply #728811 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Silly play by Jervis, all
He needed was fundamental foot work, he had position

Reply #728812 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Deng flops

Reply #728813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two sets of rules...

Reply #728814 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Rest my case on Hire, doesn't suit this style of game or the matchups. They are too quick and rangy for him

Reply #728815 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Even the average under 12s player ain't gonna bite on the Greg hire 3 point shot fake

Reply #728816 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

What did I call at the start- Adelaide 97 Perth 78.. I'm sticking with that

Reply #728817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where was cottons fts there? Surely there was as much or more contact then wagstaff on deng?

Reply #728818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suuuurely we have some absolute gun on a flight from America right bow ready to play sunday...

Reply #728819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now**

Reply #728820 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Everyone has a story to tell, not just sports people, but everyone. Wiley is no special.

I can't wait for the feature on Gleeson's battle with his moobs.

Reply #728821 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good effort to muck that up from that range, Tom

Reply #728822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson should go.

Reply #728823 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Perth 122 half court trap back to 122 zone. At least it's a change up, nothing to lose here. Going by the numbers Perth can’t score more than 16 in a quarter, 20 at a stretch.. so Adelaide scores 10 and it’s over

Reply #728825 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Gleeson is a great recruiter. Much better than Nielson who got us Jaron Johnson.

Reply #728826 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Perth are junk

Reply #728827 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Still a reasonably tight margin; and especially dangerous if Cotton gets going.

Reply #728829 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Gleeson is a great recruiter, which is why limiting him to 2 imports is exposing him. He isn't a great strategic coach by any means but he sure can recruit and pick talent

Reply #728830 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth 122 half court trap back to 122 zone. At least it's a change up, nothing to lose here. Going by the numbers Perth can't score more than 16 in a quarter, 20 at a stretch.. so Adelaide scores 10 and it’s over

And unlike past seasons, our defence is no longer a weapon. It is average at best.

Reply #728831 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Perth now playing a sagging man to man, packline style. Looks like a zone but they are trying to protect the paint

Reply #728832 | Report this post

DIONE69  
Years ago

perth downfall is ugly

Reply #728833 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

JR, please stop.

Reply #728834 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Agreed Luuuc, it's also the rule changes, FIBA has literally outlawed defense. And we are now in our 30’s so that tends to impact lateral quickness

Reply #728835 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Either a 3rd import comes in or Gleeson goes out. You cant keep burying your head in the sand saying 'this group can do it' whilst continuing to dish up bad losses

Reply #728836 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Tightening of the rules has affected everyone, but personnel turnover and age have not been kind to our D in particular

Reply #728837 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Agreed and agreed to the last 2 posts :)

Reply #728838 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Agreed and agreed to the last 2 posts :)

Reply #728839 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Posting up against a size mismatch is sad to watch. Kay is what? 6'5 and Froling 6’10

Reply #728840 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Do Adelaide have a spare backboard?
Conger breaking this one might be our only chance to escape without a loss

Reply #728841 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Interesting Adelaide are not switching now, first time I have seen it in a very long time. Maybe prepping for Melbourne who exploit it

Reply #728842 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sympathy whistle for Damo there

Reply #728843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If cotton shoots a floater and the big man moves forward for the block and knocks him over surely that is a foul?

Reply #728844 | Report this post

Joeys_Right  
Years ago

Player scores more than 2 points
COREY HOMOCIDE WILLIAMS: Player come here to play

Reply #728845 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

This has been satisfying.

Bye, Felicia.

Reply #728846 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Sorry Luuuc they will replace it and Tiny Pinder has been retired a very long time

Reply #728847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SpecSavers time for Joey

Reply #728848 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Cheer up Perth fans, your team is still in the top 4 and will make finals again for the fourth consecutive century. Plus Terrico is showing his closing skills in the fourth.

Reply #728849 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

White does look ominous.

But... that block party.

Reply #728850 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

97-78.. I could be right.. but rather hit the powerball numbers just quietly haha

Reply #728851 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Muppets on tv. What are these refs watching. Replays waste time.

Reply #728852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ffs you can give perth the ball it wont matter.

Reply #728853 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Maybe not :)

Reply #728854 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol @ Joey telling Bruce to shoot it at the end.

Reply #728855 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Wildcats are lacking athleticism. Definitely need an athletic big next season... Or now

Reply #728857 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

What is actually going on in Perth? They've been the most dominant franchise for the longest time. Genuine question for Perth fans - I haven't been following the slide all that closely.

Reply #728858 | Report this post

DIONE69  
Years ago

Was on the under 181.5 pts with 50 $ on it for a 100 $ return...better check my girlfriend when I come home

Reply #728859 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

2-8.

Reply #728860 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Gotta love McVeigh

Reply #728861 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Good win by Adelaide, just took the game away from us in the 2nd half. As a Perth fan I'm over this crap, home or away we are being out-coached and out-husstled. Time to be ruthless with personnel either on court or in the front office. A 10-1 start cant be wasted.

Reply #728862 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Pretty much as expected. Adelaide shouldn't celebrate too hard they got Sydney and I think they lose that one. The wildcats, another loss and The Look! As I said before a good plan is flexible and another import is something they should change their mind on. Their is too much talent in this league to expect us to win with this lineup. White played great, Cotton got doubled on every ball screen forcing him to give it up, as such he only had 10 fga’s in 34 mins. Steindl should’ve played more, may have been injured and Hire shouldn’t have been out there.

Reply #728863 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I don't understand the numpties who think this is all Gleeson's fault.

He has little to play with given the bench he is working with this year.

It's a major transition, and yes I agree we have kept on player we shouldn't have for sentimental reasons.....

IF we make finals. That's as far as we go. But the core to build around is decent.

God I'm angry... Why am I trying to justify this...

Reply #728864 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

AngusH Joey telling him to shoot it was thinking about the head to head at the end if tied for a position. He was right

Reply #728865 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

46 to 27 rebounds says it all

Reply #728866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley > Kay. All can see now.

Reply #728867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from the @nblstats twitter -
the last time the cats went 2-8 in 10 games was the last time they missed the playoffs (1986)
RIP playoff streak

Reply #728869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, anon takes Kays worst game of the season to make a call about the overall season. Typical kiwi logic

Reply #728870 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

46 to 27 rebounds says it all

Maybe not all, but a lot. That is abysmal.

Reply #728872 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

We (Perth) suck.
Congrats to Adelaide.

Reply #728875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's J blaming the refs or is it past his bed time.

Reply #728876 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"We (Perth) suck."

Told you all. Over a month ago. Too late now.

Reply #728878 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Next 7 games:

Home vs Melbourne
Home vs Adelaide
Away vs Sydney
Home vs Illawarra
Home vs Sydney
Home vs Adelaide
Away vs Melbourne

Brisbane have a much easier run and Adelaide's is slightly easier. Long story short, I don’t see Wildcats beating either Melbourne or Sydney which means the two against Adelaide and one against Illawarra are must wins. The next two games between Adelaide and Perth probably decides which one makes the playoffs. The playoff streak is in serious jeopardy. Guinness book of records may show it as 32 seasons and over

Reply #728881 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Wasn't expecting another insipid display from the cats again today. Credit to adelaide for their D and rebounding dominance but to be honest its pretty easy against this cats side at the moment. Playoff streak will finally come to an end this season. I cant see them getting out of this slump.

Reply #728883 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The next two games between Adelaide and Perth probably decides which one makes the playoffs.
If Adelaide wins the next one it's over. Not that it isn't already over.

Might beat Illawarra, but even that's a stretch. Maybe Sydney if they're in cotton wool by then.

Reply #728885 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, IMO this was the one we had to win to realistically keep the playoff hopes alive

Reply #728887 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

KR I agree with most you post on here, and I agree again but u did tell me I was wrong in Dec when I said I response to Perthworld (in agreement) that the playoffs were questionable.. they didn't beat Cairns did they?

Reply #728891 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ JR; is the point differential tie breaker still a thing? I didn't think it was?

Reply #728892 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

AngusH as a coach you always try to cover all possibilities. You will be right more than likely but you try to cover all bases. I think Larry Bird said it best- as a player with 2 mins to go and up 4 you figure you got this won, as a coach you figure we can still lose this.

Reply #728894 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Point differential between teams is gone, replaced with point differential over the season.

@JR, I assumed they wouldn't fall so far as to lose to Cairns. Don't think I was alone there.

Reply #728895 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

KR for sure and I understand. No big deal hey.
I put it at 70/30 or even 80/20 wildcats are not making playoffs, what do you think?

Reply #728896 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The four sides currently in the top 4 will be the 4 sides who finish in the top 4.

Perth needs 3 wins, and they'll achieve it including against Adelaide in Perth. Adelaide losing to Brisbane at home was the nail in the coffin, Brisbane have played brilliantly this year and will make a deserved spot in the finals.

This game was exactly what I'd hope Adelaide do on a consistent basis. I'd go so far to say Adelaide would do very well to keep this team for next year (including expensive Conger, keeping Sobey etc).

Rebounding -Tick
Defence - Holy Sh*t, Finally, Tick
Even Spread of Contributors - Tick
Energy - Tick

Sobey - Played a very good game without scoring much, great point guard game, passing, decision making and defence.

The difference between this game and last game is he fed off the energy and contribution of others, he wasnt required to get scores so he wasnt taking clunk clunk clunk shots. Sobey is a barometer for the 36ers.

Johnson - Racks up points even though he didnt appear dominating, a good solid game from the captain. Moved the ball well, didn't get into the forcing it style game.

Conger - Good game, he's starting to fit into the team well now. Having him and Wiley was beneficial tonight in the super hot weather to always have a speedy athletic forward.

Wiley - Love the aggression, didn't do anything silly or over the top. One of his best games as a 36er.

Mcveigh - Good energy and contribution, 36ers need more of that and consistently to develop depth.

Froling - Loves, like Drmic, to get into the verbal stuff, but this bloke has developed sensationally this season and is a favourite of mine the way he is going. Some slick foot work, a good touch and best of all, the rebounding.

Teys - Has had a good season coming off the bench and providing key little contributions, harder to do than most people think - respect for that.

Deng - Playing himself back into form. Deng isn't terrific at opening space for himself, so he makes a living shooting over people or off balance. They are tough shots - if you miss, it's not surprising. Deng hits them at a ridiculously good rate for the difficulty. Hopefully he understands that and puts confidence and trust aside and plays his style - that will help him produce what he did last few games, and most of last year.

Reply #728897 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

You know u are one of the few whose opinion I respect, you will notice I don't respond to some

Reply #728899 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Guinness book of records may show it as 32 seasons and over"

Why would it be in the Guinness Book of Records when it isn't even the record in world sport let alone pro basketball?

Reply #728903 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

KR for sure and I understand. No big deal hey.
I put it at 70/30 or even 80/20 wildcats are not making playoffs, what do you think?
It's still hard to know with the requirement being anywhere from 14 to 16 wins, but I'd say 97/3.

Reply #728904 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

KET really nice write up, however the 36ers are one of those teams that the more they play the better they get, they will come home strong because their only weakness is recognition and smart teams being able to punish the switch. As time runs they turn weaknesses into strengths and play better. I think wildcats are not making playoffs, love or hate Homocide he called it weeks ago along with a couple of others including yours truly. Perthworld did too for all the shit people level at him on here

Reply #728906 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Perthworld I thought it was world record but I stand to be corrected. Maybe I listen to the news too much, not the first time they have reported incorrect so called "facts".

Reply #728908 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

but I'd say 97/3.

Haha.. maybe u are right I was being way too conservative

Reply #728911 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

AFAIK the only streak that beats them is Maccabi Tel-Aviv in the Israeli league, where they've won the last 35-odd championships because they're the only pro team in the competition.

I have trouble counting that.

Reply #728912 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Maybe I was "respecting the bloodline".. which is a way of thinking that has infested the organisation in a negative way this year

Reply #728914 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Oh of course, that is a different equation with maccabi and Euroleague teams playing their local leagues such as in Israel, France, Spain and Adria league. Fair call, I called it wrong but it has been reported on the news here in Perth that 32 straight is a world record.. my bad for believing it. I stand corrected :)

Reply #728917 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@JR the club in their arrogance proclaimed a world record a few seasons ago without doing any research; media at first repeated the claims but later everyone realised it wasn't and stopped saying it.

@KR it is a pro league it's just that Maccabi Tel Aviv spend more than any other club which is a typical European style system when you have promotion/relegation, no salary cap and a team from the capital with enormous backing from sponsors.

Reply #728918 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Even so, it's clearly not a top-tier competition. If they do that in the Euroleague we can talk.

Reply #728919 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's the professional national basketball league of Israel. You can't just ignore that.

Reply #728921 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

@Perthworld they reported it last season on Channel 10. Not saying it was correct but it was reported

Reply #728922 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

From my understanding. If we count the cats streak under teams with a postseason + a salary cap (which is a stretch sure), in a pro league (which would exclude certain ice hockey league's that have 50+ yr records)

Then they would need to get to 35 season to be ranked #1 in the world interested those criteria.

Technically 34 because they would be in front by default by it still being active.

Not really an easy "record" to research

Reply #728923 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perthworld did too for all the shit people level at him on here

Thank you.

Reply #728924 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@Flop Warning correct, still short of an NHL team from memory. But don't tell the club that.

Reply #728925 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Legitimately speaking I agree with KR, belittle it as much as you like but 32 straight is pretty awesome in the highest league the team plays in. Having said that it looks like it ends this season

Reply #728926 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We were 7th of 8 playoff teams in a 11 team that one season...

Reply #728927 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Hey you wanna talk records, the Harlem Globetrotters are unbeaten since the 50's so I guess the rules of engagement need to be defined

Reply #728928 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

We were 7th of 8 playoff teams in a 11 team that one season...

And your point is?

Reply #728929 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Gleeson made some bad decisions tonight. Didn't protect his bigs at all. Starts Kay in the 2nd qtr when he is on 2 fouls, of course he gets his 3rd, puts him on in the 3rd and of course he gets his 4th. Bad, bad, bad.

Reply #728930 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah we got super lucky that a massive playoff expansion coincided with the retirement of that core group.

Reply #728932 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I guess the flop call has disappeared again. No wonder players flop when you get the all clear with a charge from the refs.

Reply #728933 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

"Not really an easy "record" to research"

Agreed and I haven't

Reply #728934 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

@PW I did a heap of research into it a few years ago when I wrote an "opinion" piece about it.

I have the info on my laptop somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. The responses I got made me question literally everything I wrote.

It's bloody impossible to place it amongst so many different sports. Soccer makes it so hard given their "lack of cap" almost worldwide in what we would consider "pro league's"

But imo. There are two ice hockey teams the cats will never reach. (One was def +50, both might have been) and another. Which I can't for the life of me remember what sport it was... That was the closest in setup to the nbl. That had a 34 season record that ended mid 2000's.

However you look at it. The cats don't hold a world record. But they do have a very impressive streak that few teams worldwide in any sport can boast

Reply #728935 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Point is I created my own personal irrelevant qualifier out there as kr did.

Reply #728936 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah, that was one of the dodgier years - bit of luck by Perth

How it wasn't top 6.... classic old days of random stupid decisions by NBL

Reply #728937 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Yeah no a single flop call this season but how many last year? Every game there was at least one I think form memory

Reply #728938 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

The guy screaming out during Sixers free throws sure went quiet in the 4th. Must of lost his voice.

Reply #728939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and is about to become ancient history :)

Reply #728940 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@Flop Warning I remember that as I was the anon on here at the time who originally pointed out the incorrect facts coming out of the club in embarrassing press releases re: world record and gave Maccabi as an example in just the sport of basketball, plus those NHL sides.

(I follow a lot of sports.)

Reply #728941 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Point is I created my own personal irrelevant qualifier out there as kr did.

Yeah but they did make playoffs didn't they? As I said I agreed with you weeks ago so I respect your opinion but they made the playoffs that year, picking and choosing what is right and wrong in playoff qualifying is splitting hairs. One could argue things like that in the which ever way they please. Better just stick to facts I believe, but each to their own. What did Dirty Harry day about opinions?

Reply #728942 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Agreed with you JR, but not with kr's argument re: him "feeling" the Israeli league somehow doesn't count.

Reply #728943 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Flop Warning I remember that as I was the anon on here at the time who originally pointed out the incorrect facts coming out of the club in embarrassing press releases re: world record

I guess I missed that one :)

Reply #728944 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

@Perthworld.. each to their own, it's down to personal opinion isn’t it? KR stayed soemthung that would be like the Wildcats playing WA SBL, I can see his point

Reply #728945 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/36569-wildcats-equal-world-record-for-consecutive-post-s/#p517209

Reply #728946 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

@PW my article wasn't on here. I'm new to this site. So I honestly don't know what was said about it on this site (or if anything was said about it)

I wasn't writing it as a cats fan. Well I was... But I also disagreed with the idea that it was a record.

I wanted to know the truth... Several years later... I still have no fkn idea hahaha.

Reply #728948 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well I linked to the discussion on here.

Was it an article you wrote on The Roar or a site similar to it? As I do vaguely recall one.

I do recall media outlets such as Ten and The West running with it for a while too. *cringe*

Reply #728950 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

@Perthworld I made the mistake of believing Channel 10 and I usually don't.. as I said earlier I stand corrected. It’s not such a powerful factor in my life that I go to the trouble of researching it and for that I apologise

Reply #728951 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I hate fake news ;)

Reply #728952 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I never wrote an article on The Roar in my life, in fact didn't know it existed til you mentioned it. As I said I stand corrected, I didn’t research it but hey I don’t really give a shot, happy to take you for your word

Reply #728953 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

@JR exactly.

It's possible to spin it to say the cats hold the world record. Without too much effort.

But the criteria that needs to be applied makes it almost redundant.

The record is impressive. But it isn't #1 worldwide. And like I said earlier. I would be happy to admit they have #1 under certain criteria if they got to 35. But as it stands.... No

Even then... It's a stretch

Doesn't make it less impressive. Just one of those things. You can't compare all sports worldwide as if they are equal.. the nbl is not a tier 1 league. So that does take away a small amount of credibility. And I AM a very very passionate cats fan.

If anyone wants to do their own research. I have one piece of advice.

Don't do it... It will drive you insane trying to figure it.

Reply #728954 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Fake news.. don't get me started, I never watch the news so there u go but for some stupid reason I occasionally watch the sport report.. maybe I shouldn’t haha

Reply #728955 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

JR I was talking to Flop Warning re: article etc.

Reply #728956 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

@Perthworld- my bad, I get a lot of ppl trying to guess my real identity over here. Apologies for jumpinnthe gun

Reply #728957 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Adelaide provided some of the
Most exciting dunks. Perth had some handy flops....

Reply #728958 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

@Flopwarning.. agree with what u say, rules of engagement are not defined therefore is open to interpretation ie. ones own personal opinion

Reply #728959 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

And let's be honest, they are 97% chance not to make the playoffs which is something on rethinking I must agree with. Too inefficient offensively and they can’t grind it down to a low scoring game as they could years ago which is something Luuuc referred to

Reply #728961 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Jr you may be overlooking something quite valid.

In the last two rds they play melb and Syd. Plus adl

It is in Mel or Syd's best interest to lock in a series against Perth.

There will be a gift win in the last two rds. And possibly 2.

They just need to win 1 game against adl and I'm confident they will make finals on the back of strategic tanking

Reply #728968 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Cats for Life, did you stay to the end? I hope my fellow Adelaideans were hospitable to you and your family.

Was that you making the noise during the 36er free throws, they missed a few, so good job.

Anyway don't get too down and let tonight ruin your stay.

Oh and there is a HJ's at the eastern end of Rundle Mall so enjoy your cheeseburgers.

Reply #728979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do HJs cheeseburgers always contain angus beef or just tonight?

Reply #728986 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

@Flopwarning- that kind of thinking is dangerous. To be a championship team you have to take on all comers and styles on any day and any arena.. picking and choosing you opponents is simply imbuilding the habit that you can "flick the switch" to get the win. It's also practicing losing by design.. Very dangerous and anyone who is a competitor either as a player or coach knows it is pure folly. You must play to win always or you won’t its a simple as that. The eventual champion team will win because they perform consistently at in and day out

Reply #728992 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

*day in and day out

Typo again.. iPhones suck with phat fingers :)

Reply #728993 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

We are talking about melb and Syd here...

They have been buying championships for a fair while in recent history. And they have 1 between them.

I'm confident in what I said given how they have approached things.

The cats are a 1% chance as things stand ATM for the championship. Yet of the contenders for 4th spot (this being my argument. The team finishing first choosing their opponent, which is kinda doable in this season) both melb and Syd will feel they have Perth's number more so than the other contenders.

I won't be at all surprised when one or both (depending on circumstances) rest their stars in preparation for the finals.

You can't tell me that you can't already see it happening? Well I suppose you can, and I'll be shocked... But remember which teams we are talking about here.

Reply #728995 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

@Flop Warning- if they do they don't know what winningnor championship demeanour is all about. What more can I say. I’m sure they won’t as they are professional outfits, I couldn’t see the likes of Bogut or Ware and Co going for that type of thinking. If they aren’t good enough to beat Adelaide/ Brisbane then they don’t deserve to be champions and that is the way they will approach it believe me. Have u ever coached before? I have and believe me what I say is a fact

Reply #728998 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Gleeson needs to go.

Why burn Cooton out and only give Steindl 5 mins.

Has a team ever started 10-1 but missed playoffs??

Reply #729000 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I am a coach of 2 juniors teams... Basically I pull my hair out a fair bit. It's not the same thing. But I wanted to answer the question.

I also don't think the players have as much say as you are alluding to. It's kinda like listening to everyone on here who thinks Gleeson is the only issue at the cats.

If they are told to sit... They sit. Bogut is a good on court coach (something the king's have been lacking for AGES.) I actually think the king's are a well run team, it's not because of gaze. Kinda like Gleeson's first championship with the cats... Martin was the coach.

Arrogance does wonderful and horrible things... Just look at the cats.

Reply #729001 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Na, had to leave about 5 minutes to go, daughter was getting abused and it was pissing me off. So better to walk away, enjoyed the atmosphere and seeing perth play away and now watching on tv I can visualise how it is.

Other than the abuse and air con, I really enjoyed the stadium bit far from the city but all good.

As for the game, to many stupid turnovers and kay and big Angus got called for a few questionable calls. That's the difference playing at home and away, ref's are the same everywhere but everybody just focuses on perth but yet now there losing I haven't heard anything?

Reply #729002 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

"I am a coach of 2 juniors teams... Basically I pull my hair out a fair bit."

Haha.. we do that at all levels and we have all coached juniors. But seriously would you go into a game not trying to win? Winning is a habit, unfortunately so is losing which is why I say that kind of thinking is dangerous- to be the champions you have it take on all styles and comers, any day any arena- surely you would understand that even if coaching u12's.

Not every team I coached was a championship, in fact few were but the thinking doesn’t change. But the odd occasion we did win believe me we played so winevwty game, even when we got a bad blow out loss.

Cats for Life- it’s sad to hear you had a bad experience at the game. The game is for us all to enjoy and that sounds like something from the Boston-LA game 7 1984 where the odd Laker fan was thrown over the balcony in the old Boston Garden. That type of behaviour has no place in our sport and regardless of allegiances you should not be harassed physically, period! That has no place in our sport and I’m sorry to hear that

Reply #729005 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

*we played to win every game

Previous typo.. would be cool if they had edit for the stupid ones like me lol

Reply #729006 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I just saw Koberulz thread on hot starting teams collapsing I guess that answers my question.

Still Perth are not officially eliminated... yet.

Reply #729007 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

My daughter is 5 years old and a bit overweight and people as we are leaving giving her shit! A 5 year old. Understand violence does not solve anything but when you're daughter is copping shit and crying I was close to going back. Luckily I wasn't drinking because of the air con.

Reply #729008 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

@Hogwash- no they aren't and that’s the beautiful thing anout this game isn’t it? It comes down to who wins on the night, my guess is Perth are done though. Time will tell is the truth

Reply #729009 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I've gone into plenty of games not trying to win, but to follow a basic plan.

Don't get me wrong. I was planning to win every game. And that may not always be the message I tell the team... Well usually it's more of a "team message" directed at individuals in a way that doesn't have the parents of one or two particular individuals abusing me afterwards.

In one team I'm dealing with a no scoring policy... Which is a load of wank. Every kid on the court knows the score and so do the parents.

What I'm getting at is this. I'm not comparing my situation to that of actual coaches. I'm just a father who has some knowledge, and more time and/knowledge than the other father's/mother's

My goal as a coach has always been to make the kids enjoy playing, and trying to make them better... Unfortunately is secondary. That doesn't always sit well with me. But it's the job I signed up for.

Reply #729010 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

@Cats for Life- well done mate, hope your daughter is okay. Ignorant people say ignorant things and or was a game full of feeling and emotion but watch the players- they all shake hands and (behind closed doors) usually share a beer after the game together. After all it's just a game and yes, we want to win but it’s just a game

Reply #729012 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

"Don't get me wrong. I was planning to win every game"

Which is what I was saying yeah?

Parents.. yes point taken. Can I be honest?
My philosophy with the club officials was “if they (parents) have a problem you must direct the them to have our out with ***** (substitute my name here) and communicate with me as the coach as I make the decisions!” Maybe experience of 20+ odd years coaching helps here but sometime club officials can make things harder out of good intentions.

It's like a parent who tells his kid “no he vannktbjave an ice cream”. If he runs to the other parent and that aren’t gives a different answer then a three way battle of wills transpires that no one can win from.

Honestly, back in the 1990’s I read a great book on the psychology of coaching written by Pat Riley called “The Winner Within”.. please find a copy and have a read. I guarantee you it will set a lot of things straight about things like this. Many years later I have learnt a lot more but this book contains a lot of great advice about how to handle “preripheral enemies” as he phrases it.

Good luck to you, anyone who is prepared to invest time and effort in bettering our sport without monetary gain as I am sure you are is deserving of praise and parents don’t always see things this way.

Usually parents are too scared to mess with me and when they see the team winning more and playing better than they ever did before they become yoirngreatest advocates, even if it is in insight or begrudgingly.

Wish you well with your coaching, stick at it and please read that book it’s a great mindset focus.

Reply #729014 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

*no he cannot have ice cream

For the typo

Again :)

Reply #729015 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I'll just type it again cos so many errors

"
Don't get me wrong. I was planning to win every game"

Which is what I was saying yeah?

Parents.. yes point taken. Can I be honest?
My philosophy with the club officials was “if they (parents) have a problem you must direct the them to have our out with ***** (substitute my name here) and communicate with me as the coach as I make the decisions!" Maybe experience of 20+ odd years coaching helps here but sometime club officials can make things harder out of good intentions.

It's like a parent who tells his kid “no he cannot have an ice cream”. If he runs to the other parent and that says a different answer then a three way battle of wills transpires that no one can win from.

Honestly, back in the 1990’s I read a great book on the psychology of coaching written by Pat Riley called “The Winner Within”.. please find a copy and have a read. I guarantee you it will set a lot of things straight about things like this. Many years later I have learnt a lot more but this book contains a lot of great advice about how to handle “preripheral enemies” as he phrases it.

Good luck to you, anyone who is prepared to invest time and effort in bettering our sport and players without monetary gain as I am sure you are is deserving of praise and parents don’t always see things this way.

These days is usually parents are too scared to mess with me because they come to practice, see me teaching concepts well beyond their knowledge and then when they see the team winning more and playing the kids playing better than they ever did before they become your greatest advocates, even if it is in hindsight (which means they will admit it) or begrudgingly.

Wish you well with your coaching, stick at it and please read that book it’s a great mindset focus. I wish you well and respect you always for your small part in bettering our sport!

Reply #729016 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Hahaha

I figured all your typos out. But appreciate the effort in re-typing. I am terrible on phone's too. I keep getting screwed by autocorrect. I will get a copy of that book ordered tomorrow.

I'll be sticking with it. I have 5 boys in my family between me,my brother and sister, all under 3 yrs old.

I have a basketball team in the making (hopefully) might as well learn how to teach them properly

Reply #729017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JR, lots of people trying to work out who you are? Bit of an ego there, don't think so, no-one really cares.

Reply #729018 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

"no-one really cares."

I'm good with that :) let’s keep it that way

Reply #729019 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

@Flop Warning

Good on you! Good luck brother

Reply #729020 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Anon, give it a rest. Cats put more heat on the rim and looked to be playing well again early. A few quick and cheap fouls on their bigs, cotton amd terico getting hit on penetration, not geting the calls and they went back to shooting corner threes... not smart. They actually improved in significamt patches, could have easily had a few more fta, kay could have not been rendered non existent on a couple of very soft calls, maybe the game goes the other way. Re watch the first quarter, funny how the adelaide run was on the back of some cheap fouls on kay and brandt and terrico getting absolutley smashed from behind on a layup attempt. Did it change the result, maybe, maybe not, but it sure made for a noticeable change in momentum.

Reply #729023 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"He has little to play with given the bench he is working with this year."

Gleeson's rotations have been terrible this year. Appalling in fact.

Classic example, knowing that they need offense, how Steindl only gets 5 minutes last night is puzzling (ironically he goes 1-1 from 3 in those 5 minutes).

How Wagstaff and Hire get triple and double the amount of game time of Steindl is ridicolous.

Wagstaff/Hire go a combined 1/11 for 2 points.

Steindl scores more than that on just 1 shot.

Reply #729028 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Perth hitting shots early, I thought here we go, Sixers are going to play another team into form. Vague hitting 3pt, Martin hitting 3pts, Cotton being Cotton. Sixers got going a bit, but they struggle to get stops. Perth started going inside and basically scored everytime. When Martin hit his second 3pt I thought uh, oh. But Sixers adjusted, played zone and stayed with Cotton, didn't even give him enough room to even take a breath. Congers last couple of games have been really good. He is defending well, doing little things like covering teammates, and is putting the ball in the hoop. He is looking more confident and comfortable every game.
The only thing Hire seems to do is foul. He cannot help himself. Trying to be the tough guy.

Reply #729030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl went one from one last night but is very streakie, and Perth we're thinking of playing defensively which isn’t Steindl strong area.

Reply #729035 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Did Cotton show any signs of being laboured by injury? I didn't watch

Reply #729036 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Manu

No, but he's been labouring under the burden of carrying the team.

Reply #729038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if any of the cowards in the Adelaide crowd who abused Cats4lifes daughter post here at all....

Reply #729039 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Steindl went one from one last night but is very streakie, and Perth we're thinking of playing defensively which isn't Steindl strong area."

Which would make sense if Hire or Wagstaff were good defenders, even decent at least, but they are not.

Both have poor lateral quickness and cannot contain players off the dribble. They rely on muscling up opponents to defend, but I wouldn't say they are effective by any stretch.

Reply #729040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee what a surprise to see the ref pro J base 3/4 of his post on the refs lol

Reply #729042 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Thanks UseTaHoop, that's great to hear

Reply #729044 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree that it was our D more than our O that was the main problem last night. We had one scoring drought in the 1st but mostly the scoreboard kept ticking over - especially considering Kay & Brandt were limited by foul trouble. It was one of Terrico's better games IMO and Vague was active.

I like Steindl because I'm a sucker for a good long bomber, but I acknowledge that his D is a problem, and more to the point in the back half of the season opposition teams are making a point of going at him. So I don't know that he would have been the answer last night, but you don't know unless you actually give it a try and he barely got a look. Plus it's not like anyone else on the team was slowing anyone down.

I don't remember a time in the Bevo-Gleeson era that our defence has looked this ineffective. JR made a fair point about today's rule interpretations making lock-down defence much harder, but there are still times when other teams will bother us by playing aggressive defence, whereas we rarely seem to manage it anymore. More often that not when we try it, it gets easily beaten resulting in a gimme basket. Gleeson & Martin mentioned it in the press conference so I'll be interested to see how we respond. But in a team that has always relied on good D to build offensive momentum, it's a significant loss when that avenue dries up. Gleeson has never been known for quality half court offence.

I'm still not going to spit it though. I don't exect a title run every season (that is unrealistic, spoiled fan behaviour IMO), and I think that renovating our aussie core by adding Kay & Norton was the right thing to do for the long term even though it hurt our flexibility this season.

Reply #729048 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Watching Teys drive by Martin was a low point but I still managed a chuckle.

Reply #729049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I agree that it was our D more than our O that was the main problem last night."

I thought our R was bad too.

Reply #729053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes the R was terrible. so was the C. maybe it is time for a change in the C.

Reply #729054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely get rid of the C. Sick of his BS (bad substitutions).

Reply #729055 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

It wasn't a bad game. Sixers simply outplayed us.
Positive was Whites game. Top scored at a good clip.
Big concern for me was the way we got clobbered on the boards, and our overall poor defence.

Reply #729067 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

What the fuck are you smoking? That was a fucking dreadful performance by the Cats.

Reply #729077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha but sixers simply outplayed you. that's no big deal. nothing to worry about. just like how every other team in the league simply outplayed you. it doesn't mean you are bad it just means that every other team is much more good.

Reply #729080 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Were you watching a different game Dazz?
White was good but Cotton only had 10.
Kay had a night to forget and as usual the bench was non existent.

Reply #729085 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Don't actually address any of the points raised anon, just troll instead. Keep up the good work.

Reply #729086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I saw was a team of Perth players who are all second guessing themselves. They will slip out of the top 4 and won't make finals. There is obviously disharmony in the group as evidenced by poor body language by players and coach. This team will be sliced and diced at season's end and rightfully so.

Reply #729101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think there is disharmony. I think a combination of a lack of confidence, plus a lack of ability from the supporting cast, has put enormous pressure on everyone on the team. None of these guys want to be part of the first Cats team to miss the playoffs, especially not in their possible final season. That adds to the pressure. It's the perfect storm for them to completely shit the bed.

Reply #729104 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think Perth's biggest problem is trying to keep the band together too long. IMO it's obvious Martin has played on a year too long, Jervis is shot, Hire was very fortunate to get another contract this season and Wagstaff looks like he might only have one or at best two years left in him.

You can't really get rid of everyone in one hit without possibly damaging team culture so I think Martin, Jervis and maybe Hire will get tapped on the shoulder and Wagstaff will probably go around again next season.

I agree with others that Perth were quite shrewd in nabbing Kay & Norton and locking them in long term as there was always going to be some sort of transition period from the old guard to them but the team probably hoped that they would keep the playoff streak alive during that transitioning period but it's starting to look like they perhaps erred in keeping the old guard around a bit too long.

Reply #729116 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Jervis and Hire are done.
Wagstaff if he comes back on a cheaper deal might be worth keeping.
Vague shows promise but isn't ready for big role yet.

Reply #729118 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Martin has a few more years in him, but would bring him off the bench playing max 15 minutes a game and let Norton become the on court leader with Martin mentoring him.

Reply #729128 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

coupla nice runs from sixers and bench players very good ...
refs must've been pretty bad to allow that ...

Reply #729129 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Surely Norton no longer requires a mentor, has been in the league seven seasons (8 if you include his development player year cut short to 5 games) and been a key player for the past 4 seasons.

I think now is the time for him to step up (like he did earlier this season) and take on more responsibility.

Reply #729135 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

He needs a mentor for leadership and to take more of a vocal load. He's all around game is fine, next step is leadership and I don't feel I've ever seen him in that position.

Reply #729138 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Cats for life - REALLY sorry to hear that. Inexcusable. I sat next to a Cats fan last time they were here. We sucked and I had a qtr of grumbling... then chatted to him for 3 quarters about all things NBL. Was actually really cool hearing a non-Adl point of view from another NBL fan.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay and your daughter is well and happy.

Reply #729145 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Yea really enjoyed adelaide, great city went to glenelg to the festival this evening and it was great.

All in all was a very relaxing 5 days, of to home tomorrow and I would definitely return again.

Thanks for the kind words and end of the day it's just a game and no need to be keyboard warriors on here.

Reply #729213 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"hahaha but sixers simply outplayed you. that's no big deal. nothing to worry about. just like how every other team in the league simply outplayed you. it doesn't mean you are bad it just means that every other team is much more good"

Sorry, what I meant to go on and say was that in isolation, it wasn't bad, and there were actually some positives.
But yes, last 7 or 8 games (or whatever it is) have been deplorable.

Reply #729217 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Great to hear, Cat. Safe trip.

Reply #729239 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754