Air Delay
Years ago

How United is United?

So putting it out there to start. Melbourne are my second favourite team & I love watching them play, but I've largely HATED watching the way they play this season...

Everything is centred around Casper & CG43 which would be ok if they didn't take so many hero shots, limiting the options & confidence of the rest of the team.

CG43 is shooting at 37% this season & in today's game V the cats, him & Casper combined for an 8/30 shooting night.

Kennedy was quiet in half a game & it just seems like their offence is soooo focused on 1 on 1s & pick & rolls that we're not getting the most out of our players & overworking our big guns.

We've been lucky to get away with Ws on plenty of occassions this season through individual brilliance or another team choking, so will anything change in the run to the finals, or are UTD going to fall behind the pack?

Side note - it's awesome how the league's form teams fluctuate from week to week, so who knows, maybe UTD will be the form team of the league again next week? : )

Topic #44660 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

weird question. McCarron got plenty of shots today and boone got his fair share too. barlow had a few too considering he got himself in foul trouble very early. kennedy getting 5 shot attempts is probably 4 too many.

Reply #729625 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Kennedy can ball! Especially if he's getting to the ring.

Maybe I'm just frustrated seeing CG43 & Casper shoot airballs, where if the offence flowed a little smoother they may get better looks?

Maybe if Liam Santamaria calls CG43 out as a dud this week he'll come back on fire next game... Though I hope not since it's Very my Hawkies : )

Reply #729630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imo what's hurting Melbourne is there defence, certainly when a pick and roll is run against them, while being a reasonable good one on one defender McCarron struggles defensively on that. Goulding lifted last year defensively where this season has gone back to previous. Kennedy also not as good as Prather, Moller and that other import they had last season.
Offensively the loss of Wesley has hurt them, Barlow has filled in well and hit bid threes but there back to the basket work is nil, it’s also hurt Boone’s output. Last year the assistants might have worked closer with individual players as well, the playing off Smith Milner as first sub today was rediculos imo.

Reply #729639 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Yeah, how did TSM go from minimal minutes to first sub in? & UTD were sucking for that 1st quarter.

I like Hooley, but I thought the plan was for McCarron to play the point when Casper rested? Yet Hooley seems to get cracks at it first? & Has regressed this year IMO.

I may be a bit harsh here but I think it's only Barlow that's performing equal or better than last year, with all of the returning players' form dipping this season. : (

Would have been nice to see more development of the younger guns in the team... But maybe I'm harsh because I'm comparing Bevo the supercoach & his offensive sets & subs to UTD? : )

Reply #729641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Barlow had great season, no one else has got better, very dissaponting, they look stale, hard to go back to back. It's a mental game. McCarron also was going to be back up point, but Kennedy, McCarron and Moller all struggling for the same spot.

Reply #729660 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754