Ryan
Years ago

Goulding needs to come off the bench

Melbourne has been struggling of late, getting off to slow starts and having to fight back. I've been tracking United lineup data this season for some stats practice, and it's clear the previous starting lineup of Ware-McCarron-Kennedy-Barlow-Boone is superior:

Ware McCarron Kennedy Barlow Boone

Minutes: 99 O Rating: 98.22 D Rating: 81.69 Net Rating: 16.53 +/-: 47

Ware Goudling McCarron Barlow Boone

Minutes: 102 O Rating: 93.72 D Rating: 90.91 Net Rating: 2.81 +/-: 24

I think this would be beneficial for Goulding as well, as he can become the focal point of the second unit and be matched up against inferior players.

Topic #44669 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Worth a try to help CG get back into form.

Reply #729995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not going to happen in a million years, Goulding would lose his shit.

Reply #730001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"16.53 +/-: 47"

same as perth's home cooking LOLOLOL!

Reply #730002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To many players of the same ilk, all trying to play the two- three, hard for Goulding to get a roll on.

Reply #730004 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Yes it would be better, but the cry baby isn't the type to sacrifice individual ego for the team.

Reply #730010 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

His ideal spot and minutes was when he was at the Wildcats...

Reply #730016 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

His ideal spot and minutes was when he was at the Wildcats...

I wish there was an emoji button....

I tend to agree that he might be better off the bench (ego is not a dirty word) to give United the punch when required.

Reply #730038 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Chris Goukding is joining the Wildcats next season.

Trev

Reply #730040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding playing Vic Elite League. Ext season.

Reply #730051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reasonable idea but will never happen.

Reply #730056 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

He has come off the bench for 5 games this season with seemingly no problem. Granted, a couple of those were due to nagging injuries.

Reply #730076 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

How do you think he would respond if he was told he's coming off the bench as a permanent move?

Reply #730084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Granted, a couple of those were due to nagging injuries."

Is that an injury suffered while bitching to the refs?

Reply #730087 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

Obviously I'm not in the locker room with them but I think his diva-ness is a little overrated by most fans. Maybe he would throw a mini fit in the regular season but I think he would suck it up for the team in the finals. Seems to really care about winning

Reply #730088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think people (rightly or wrongly) assume his petulance towards the officials carries over towards his teammates but there really isn't any evidence of him not being a team-first player.

Reply #730092 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Found it amusing that Goulding was starting over Prather last year for some games! If I was Prather I would've left the NBL and never looked back too.

Reply #730094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give him a break, he has a sore coxic bone from all those flops !!

Reply #730098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather would be better for Melbourne than Kennedy.

Reply #730099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They all started ahead of Prather last season as he was injured for two thirds. I'm certain all you Perth supporters would take him ahead of White this season, easy to knock someone on internet site.

Reply #730100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is knocking Prather??

Reply #730108 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yeah who is knocking Prather? I'd take Prather over Terrico 100%. If you were talking Goulding I'd take him over maybe Steindl...

Reply #730115 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Probably a good move to have Goulding play more minutes with the bench unit because he's more of a scorer than McCarron. McCarron can defend opposition wings better. Seems pretty simple not factoring in egos

Reply #730125 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Perth had Goulding instead of Steindl, the Wildcats would be head and shoulders above every other team, and head office would be making enquiries about summer sale prices for the engravers of the trophy.

Reply #730129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if perth had Goulding instead of Steindl the whole country would be asking why one team is exempt from the salary cap

Reply #730133 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Lol, you mean why United are exempt from the salary cap, LMAO.

Reply #730135 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Cg43 coming off bench for this game.......spooky

Reply #730173 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon - you do know there's no salary cap on spending, right? Only a cap for luxury tax calculation. And a maximum spend for the lowest paid 5 players.

Reply #730186 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I suppose its better than coming On the bench

Reply #730187 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Anon - you do know there's no salary cap on spending, right? Only a cap for luxury tax calculation. And a maximum spend for the lowest paid 5 players.

Remove a lowest 5 guy (Steindl) and add a high paid guy (Goulding) and the maximum spend (which is a cap) is exceeded.

Reply #730188 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Remove a lowest 5 guy (Steindl) and add a high paid guy (Goulding) and the maximum spend (which is a cap) is exceeded.

Does that depend on :

a) How much space is left on the bottom 5 cap. And...

b) How much the next lowest paid player (presumably not Goulding) is being paid?

Reply #730196 | Report this post

RealityCheck  
Years ago

OK.... apart from a player payment comparison. CG cant currently get into the game in the starting 5 or off the bench. Seems very frustrated... Poor form or injury either way he is not offering much to the team.

Reply #730198 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Does that depend on :
a) How much space is left on the bottom 5 cap. And...
b) How much the next lowest paid player (presumably not Goulding) is being paid?

Yes that's exactly what it would depend on. And looking down our list I don't see how it could fit ... not that I claim to know the numbers, but surely there's a significant gap between Steindl's salary and guys like Norton/Martin/Brandt, and I doubt that guys like Jervis & Wagstaff are bargain basement prices.

Reply #730201 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Dammit, just got off the phone with Clint and forgot to ask what his salary is.

Reply #730207 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Goulding goes through really hot streaks followed by extremely cold ones. Can't remember another player being so hot and cold.

Reply #730209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just love how people think a salary cap is an impediment for Perth, so sweet.

Reply #730225 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

Is Vickerman reading this? hahaha

The new starting lineup seemed to really help D.J. get into a rhythm early.

Ware - McCarron - Kennedy - Barlow - Boone

went +10 on a 104.4 O Rating, 102.7 D rating, 1.7 net rating in 18 minutes. Not bad

Reply #730331 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

What were those ratings when Goulding was on the court?

Reply #730345 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

They were actually very impressive with Goulding on the court despite his struggles. I think having him as a shooting threat helps gives the backups more room to operate.

went +11 on a 127.7 O Rating, 98.0 D rating, 29.7 net rating in 19 minutes

Reply #730476 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

There's been at least 2 threads here with discussions of fundamental roster/ player use issues (discussing the merits of Goulding to bench role, and keeping aware/ dropping Boone).

Yet a lot of folks rate MU as favourites now.

Interesting dichotomy.

FWIW, I think this means that the competition is still so open even the top team has vulnerabilities, so there’s no way we can predict "who wins it all."

NBL and LK will be very happy with this state of affairs, still plenty of interest as we head to finals.

Reply #730479 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754