Jack Toft
Years ago

Melbourne v Illawarra Jan 23

Melbourne: A win tonight would put the pressure on Sydney. We could take top spot.
Illawarra: No-one picks on my big brother. Here, hold my beer.

It's the city round with $10 from every special First Ever jersey sold going to Make a Wish foundation. It is a great charity.

The Melbourne jersey is a bit plain IMHO, but I love the Steel city jersey. It’s true to the city where people are tough, they’re so tough they sprinkle iron filings on their Weet-Bix. Now I’m not saying Illawarra’s a rough city, but I know that the Hawks have a rib-cage as a practice basketball net.

Melbourne are down as the favourites to repeat this season and go into this game as favourites. Illawarra's season is not over yet and they are not out of contention yet, 3 solid wins out of their last four games means Bevo might be in for some major round action.

Their round 1 clash was epic with 4 OT’s needed that night. Melbourne came back strongly in round 3 with a lazy 26 points from Ware and 12 rebounds (see ball, get ball) from Pledger the difference that night. But in round 5, some classic magic from Dave Andersen saw the Hawks take home the chochies that night.

So after 3 games of this series, Melbourne is up by 1 point and 1 game. Pretty typical of this whole season.

Tonight, I'm looking forward to a tight game, but in the end, Melbourne at home will be too strong and should prevail in the fourth.

Topic #44671 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

How crap do you have to be to lose to Perth these days? Hawks by 20!

Reply #730107 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Melbourne spent all week doing lay up drills.

But they were only mandatory for all import guards.

Melbourne by 2.

Reply #730142 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United by 22.

Reply #730147 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

"United by 22."

Long live Richie Benaud!

Reply #730149 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While I wouldda got that layup in , not sure how Melbourne beat Cairns.........Ilawarra , I think...

Reply #730151 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

A United win is almost a given

Reply #730160 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

See how the ref's are hey LV? Didn't hear any complaints about it in the grand final series last year?

No way the ref's let illawarra win, Larry wants the big boy's in the finals. Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney.

Reply #730162 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Its too hot here open the damn roof already

Reply #730170 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hawks too cheap to buy matching shorts?

Reply #730175 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Game looks like Melbourne versus a random division 2 team from a nearby social comp.

Reply #730177 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Every time I watch the Hawks, Kevin White is knockdown. I would've put him at near 50% from downtown

Reply #730178 | Report this post

Dr. basketball  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson used to be a fantastic player in this league. Now he is mediocre at best

Reply #730179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric, the game is well and truly passed you

Reply #730180 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

why do we need a live close up of the player that just scored, every, every time, even when the ball is now in court and presure is being applied ?

Reply #730181 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I have old dvds og the celtics/bulls/lakers NBA series in the 80's , who do i send them to so the video edditors can learn how it was done properly before they were ever born ?

Reply #730182 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Doesn't look like a great crowd.

Reply #730183 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

White is probably the best shooter I've ever seen

Reply #730184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No way the ref's let illawarra win, Larry wants the big boy's in the finals. Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney" Wow take off your tin foil hat....

Reply #730185 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

So NBL app has Illawarra with 17 missed shot attempts, including free throws. Melbourne with 22 defensive rebounds and Illawarra with 5 O boards. So 27 rebounds off 17 missed shots?

Reply #730190 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

LOL at Kevin White being "lockdown". The bloke could barely hit the side of a barn

Reply #730191 | Report this post

RealityCheck  
Years ago

Good to see DJ Kennedy back after the car accident. Melbourne need him especially with CG and CM out of form

Reply #730193 | Report this post

DIONE69  
Years ago

put a bet on the under 178.5 ...thsi leagues's pace is out of hands..crazy

Reply #730194 | Report this post

DIONE69  
Years ago

*and lack of defense

Reply #730195 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I'll qualify my comment by saying I haven't seen the game and am going off the LiveStats (which, yes, is problematic at times).

To all the Cedric haters in this thread, yes he hasn't been the great Cedric of years gone by, going off his statline of 4pts, 2 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 block he hasn't been that bad! +/- of 7 too.....

I will tune in for the second half and see how he goes.

Reply #730200 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Are they minor premiership favourites now, Melbourne?

Reply #730204 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Another open air game?

Reply #730205 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Aylen vs. Blanchfield. Nice grown man reference by Todd.

Reply #730208 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Todd Blanchfield.

That is all.

Reply #730210 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United has been very good.

But, Illawarra hasn't shown up

Reply #730213 | Report this post

Ell Vee  
Years ago

*checks scores*

*checks thread for LV whinging about the refs*

Carry on then.

Reply #730214 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

That is all.

Surely you can't be over the Perth foul count and Ware USF already?

It's only been three days.

Reply #730215 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

There will be a lot of fans just sticking to tennis after this easy baskets rubbish display of a game. Worst game of the season - embarrassing with international visitors in attendance.

Reply #730216 | Report this post

RealityCheck  
Years ago

Tough game for Steel City! Cedric Jackson needs to leave the NBL and not return...

Reply #730218 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United has had the better of the reffing tonight.

Reply #730219 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well that was a fizzer :/
Unfortunate.

Reply #730221 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United by 22?

Only 10 seconds off it

Reply #730222 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Anyone notice the ad during the game on the courtside "next home game Thursday 14th Feb"...ah, try Feb 3

Reply #730223 | Report this post

RealityCheck  
Years ago

Conklin, Jett and Naar went missing. Good result for Melbourne to go to number 1 on ladder but still think there are 2 or 3 better teams that will knock them off

Reply #730224 | Report this post

clint  
Years ago

I think the championship still goes through melbourne. Bringing CG43 off the bench was a great idea. Melbourne at their best beat everyone.

Reply #730226 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Melb are favs to finish first for mine.

Have a pretty friendly schedule to finish off... Even though it's all DBL headers.

I'll be shocked if they don't finish h&a 1st

Reply #730231 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haven't watched Kennedy's defence, but comparing him with Prather... I think Kennedy fits a bit better in this Melbourne team.

Kennedy a bigger body, bigger presence on the glass, he's just as good a penetrator as Prather, actually he's probably better. Prather edges him from downtown. But I've changed my tone on Kennedy, he's legit. Unstoppable going downhill, and he creates a lot of those opportunities. Fast top speed and fast off the mark too. Crafty in the pick and roll, can navigate his way to the cup.

United were found wanting last season in drawing fouls. Kennedy gives them bulk foul shots. Gives them the general toughness that they wouldn't have without him

Reply #730232 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Boone also seems to have his bounce back

Reply #730233 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Yeah Boone looks a completely different player to the first half of the season. And melb need him back in form.

Shame they still have several out of form. But if they all come good. Gonna be tough for anyone to beat em

Reply #730236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I liked Prather more than Kennedy

Reply #730241 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Boone will lap up the Fiba window too. Should be cherry ripe for playoffs.

Prather was weak sauce offensively for a lot of last season. Often settled for mid-range jumpers, pull-ups and runners instead of putting his head down and getting all the way to the rim. When Felix came in people realised he was a better fit than Prather despite not being a better player, because he hustled and crashed the glass more. Same with Kennedy, except Kennedy has an offensive game

Reply #730244 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Been leaning this way for a while now.....forget about Gliddon, Goulding etc, Barlow is the one to go to into the Oympic team.

Reply #730245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow is playing like he is 10 years younger than he has the last two years. Amazing turnaround. His minutes are way up too, as they should be.

Reply #730246 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Its not easy coming back from a nasty injury. Prather was unstoppable penetrating to the hoop but tend to agree he wasn't the best fit at united

Reply #730247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with you Very Old "why do we need a live close up of the player that just scored, every, every time, even when the ball is now in court and presure is being applied ?"

Just too many times that shot of the player who just scored which add zero value to the broadcast means we miss some action on the inbound play that is actually of value.

Reply #730250 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine too.

Reply #730253 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Just too many times that shot of the player who just scored which add zero value to the broadcast means we miss some action on the inbound play that is actually of value.

They exception of course being Jacob Wiley.

The league needs to be reminded he has biceps after each score.

Reply #730254 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The crazy thing about Barlow is that he was part of the last two seasons of the Kings threepeat.

Reply #730255 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think he, Kay and Maker will be competing for a spot at the WC.

Reply #730265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adds zero value to the broadcast? This isn't a fact, just your opinion. I imagine it's for fans who don't know every player and who'd like to see who scored, oh and who probably don't mind missing seeing a routine inbounds pass. Please don't think that that's hurting the game and that anyone cares about seeing a very exciting baseline inbounds pass. For the 1 in a 100 that there is a charge or a steal there is replay for that.

Reply #730269 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Feels like at least one game a round we miss a scored basket off an inbounds play or a fastbreak due to either the camera focusing on a player, or they decide to throw a 10 second long replay on the screen while the clock is ticking.

Reply #730278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker will be shoe in then, just for height reasons. Kay while being hard working pro, just not big enough or athletic enough on the world stage to play the four spot.

Reply #730279 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

United will be tough to beat with Goulding warming the bench, wonder if it lasts...United would be stupid to change it.

Reply #730286 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

"Feels like at least one game a round we miss a scored basket off an inbounds play or a fastbreak due to either the camera focusing on a player, or they decide to throw a 10 second long replay on the screen while the clock is ticking"

Totally agree,the camera work/replays are terrible. Wait for a %$@#*@ break for replays!

Reply #730349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754