Perthworld
Years ago

Southern Huskies 2019 season

NZNBL fixure is out. See Huskies games before.

It got me thinking with it being Australia Day tomorrow and all - will the Huskies become every Aussies team in the NZNBL, thereby uniting all of Hoops during the NBL off-season?

Topic #44683 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #730540 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not sure why the image link isn't working...

Manual link here: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/b9ba5196c6d1dbdc2db42ff0a/images/f4f65496-6a70-4dbb-a826-e49f620725f7.jpg

Reply #730541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #730546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does NZNBL stream?

Reply #730571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they stream
https://www.nznbl.basketball/nznbl-tv/live-games/

Reply #730575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will certainly keep an eye on their progress.

Reply #730585 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm thinking this is perfect off-season filler. Great that there is streaming.

Reply #730615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many Aussies can u have in the team

Reply #730618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As many as you want.

Reply #730812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does that mean Aussie players aren't imports and can play for new Zealand teams

Reply #730879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian players are not imports unless they average more 7 minutes a game, ie Froling playing for Adelaide will be an import in nznbl. Very good signing may I add, they look like they have a very solid team, certainly a big chance of winning the nznbl.

Reply #730894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taking a long time to announce their final team I reckon.

Reply #731809 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

They have their main players at this point

Froling
Billups
Muo
Nichols
Bragg

A couple of guys from last years chargers.

Waiting to see where Moller ends up minutes wise in NBL (likely over the limit) which may be impacting the next move, they may look at another NBL guy who is just under the 7.5 mins if Moller stays over.

Reply #731810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That starting five will be to good for any nznbl team, Froling can compete in the nbl, two American import including last season starting guard, Muo proven player at that level and except for injuries at wrong time was on nbl team, plus Bragg who is certainly at this level and former nbl player. Stanwick is also a very good young player coming off the bench.
They should start favourites.

I'd say Moller won’t get near the minutes restriction so can’t see him being eligible.

Reply #731816 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Southland last year had Pledger, Te Rangi, Weeks and two decent imports. Nelson had Vukona, Delany, Heiur, Adnam and a quality import big. The Huskies starting five doesn't stand out from that.

Reply #731838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not happening this season, have any of those players been announced yet other than Weeks, nbl clubs players got to be released and clubs looking after there contracted players.

Reply #731842 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Australian players are not imports unless they average more 7 minutes a game,"
"Southland last year had Pledger, Te Rangi, Weeks and two decent imports. Nelson had Vukona, Delany, Heiur, Adnam and a quality import big."

I'm familiar with the SBL rules, and imagine most minor leagues have similar, if a player averges more than 25% game time in the NBL he's treated as restricted (subject to a few exceptions) and you can have him or an import, to a maximum of 2.

Last I heard, the NZNBL has no such rule. If you are eligible to play for NZ, then you're not restricted.
So the question has got to be what concessions if any have they given the Huskies to enable them to sign Australians on a similar basis.

The problem for the NZNBL is obvious. They treat Australians as imports because they don't want us (with our much larger population) filling up their league. In offering any concession to the Huskies, the problem is magnified. Last thing they want to see is an NBL-Boomers team playing in their league.

The 7.5 minute rule given to the Huskies is an interesting compromise.
All teams can now have 3 imports or restricted players, so whilst their starting 5 will probably not match the best, they should be able to field some great depth.
Froling was possibly an early announcement? Before his minutes went up?

You would think that NBL teams would be eager to get their young developing players into the NZNBL via the Huskies.

Reply #732199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart clearly thought they were allowed four imports in there first press conference as they said they were on the way to signing Craig Moller, but with Froling and two American imports signed seems like Moller is either playing for Hobart huskies or else where, I've try to follow but seen nothing. This is tough for Hobart as nznbl can load up with lots players trying to get to Wellington under Henare in a World Cup year. Hobart will still be very formidable and will make finals and could take it out.

Reply #732203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart Huskies won't be competitive in the New Elite competition.

Reply #732215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7.5 minutes is a joke. Anyone playing less than that is a spud. The rules used to be just over a quarter of a game. IE. approx 12mins. A deliberate act I reckon to keep the likes of Moller out of that side.

Reply #732218 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Why do people insist on sprouting shit, when the actual facts are literally right in front of them?

"7.5 minutes is a joke. Anyone playing less than that is a spud."

What do you suggest? This still gives them exclusive access to around 25~30 players. Players who are in fat a decent standard relative to the league.

"The rules used to be just over a quarter of a game. IE. approx 12mins"

Nope, they never had any such rule.

"Hobart clearly thought they were allowed four imports in there first press conference as they said they were on the way to signing Craig Moller, but with Froling and two American imports signed"

Perhaps at the time they thought Froling and/or Moller would scrape under the limit??

Reply #732232 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea I dare say they thought they could have both Froling and Moller and 2 Americans, and given the choice between the Aussies chose Froling who is the better of him and Moller, so fair call, and if Mollers minutes drop enough (unlikely) they will seek to add him.

Else they could probably sign Moller or another NBL guy as an import to the Hobart Huskies and have him fill in for the Southern Huskies if Froling misses games with NBA try out camps etc, which is probably likely.

Reply #732242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Huskies going to make game night a hoot!
https://www.facebook.com/WINNewsTasmania/videos/735780676795146/

Reply #732755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheerleaders on the way, Mascot, Jumbotron and more.

Reply #732780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon to the NZBL.

Reply #735175 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Are Huskies fielding 2 teams, 1 for NZNBL and 1 for NBL1?

Reply #735179 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

Yep - men's and women's for NBL1 (under the name of Hobart Huskies) and men's in the NZ NBL.

Reply #735191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies now have their brand disp look acted on the big screen at the Hobart Airport luggage carousel!!! Pretty sure that would be a first anywhere in Oz?

Reply #735193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry. Frikkin autocorrect on a mobile.

Huskies now have their brand displayed on the big screen at the Hobart Airport luggage carousel!!! Pretty sure that would be a first anywhere in Oz? I also hear there might be another 5 locations for more large signage to come.

Reply #735195 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nope. Wildcats have signage all over Perth in various formats.

Reply #735207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Inside the airport? I many have done it on buses, bushelters etc..

Reply #735212 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Taipans used to have a large photo inside the airport near the luggage carousel

Reply #735217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exciting times ahead.

Reply #735865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim Paine announced as The Southern Huskies #1 ticket holder.

Reply #736024 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Who?

Reply #736090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really Perthworld?

Nobody important, just our Aussie cricket captain

Reply #736091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree: it's cricket, so definitely nobody important.

Reply #736095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just shows you how many idiots post on here.

Reply #736099 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I don't follow cricket.

Reply #736100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't directed at you Perthworld.

Reply #736182 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I know, I was replying to #736091's shock at me not knowing a cricketer.

Reply #736218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double page colour promo for the Southern Huskies in The Mercury today.

Reply #736793 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Husky TV 1st episode very well done.

https://www.facebook.com/southernhuskiesbasketball/videos/2301080350129700/

Reply #738768 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It would be sweet if Huskies tear all of NZ a new one.

Reply #738798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the huskies got 4th or 5th would be good result. Get your mercury tomorrow folks.

Reply #739197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The side they will put on the floor will be a far better side than last years SEABL Champions. Equally the competition is a lot higher as well.

Reply #739198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the side, not convinced the side will be better, it'll be tougher as nznbl stronger as well.

Reply #739204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See above. Far tougher.

Reply #739207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOt sure why there would be anything in The Mercury today. The Southern Huskies team hasn't been assembled in Hobart yet.
Some players arrive on Monday and then there will be a lot of publicity I am sure.
The assembled team should be very competitive in the NZBL and I would think be in finals for sure.
Expect some surprising player announcements.

Reply #739230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they make finals it will be an over achievement, Wellington saints, Nelson giants, South land sharks, Taylor bay hawks will all be very strong plus rangers and rams super competitive, then if you add on all the flying, back to back games in NZ plus time difference, I don't see it. What it will do is get the club set up for a better future from management to coaches to players.

Reply #739235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how does that time difference affect the current NBL Champions or any team from the West? Or any team frnm the East going to WA? Never heard so much shit.

Reply #739263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, you beat me to it. Utter BS. Certainly the travel that the NZBL has conjured up won't help. IE. 3 games in 4 days. But great teams take on those challenges head on and WIN.

Reply #739290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcel Jones just announced by the Southern Huskies.
Massive signing. Now a 'local'.
NIchols, Billups, import and Marcel. NOt bad eh.

Reply #739454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hearing the big signing is yet to come and stu has worked very hard to make it happen, not confirmed yet though.

Reply #739460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See above.

Reply #739471 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

With the massive Jones signing, looking less and less like there is a spot in the Southern Huskies for Muo.

Reply #739482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jones is a local. Kiwi naturalised.

Reply #739493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jones will be competent but at his age now no world beater, huskies will be up against it, Weeks and McCarron are the guards for Southland, don't think Nichols is at that standard. Not many clubs are successful in their first seasons as they set there clubs up, don’t see any difference with the huskies.

Reply #739498 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Billups/Jones would appear to be a lock on 3/4 between them.

Thought Muo would play 3 until Jones signing.

Muo could run off the bench I suppose however the Huskies have Nichols, Michaels, Bragg and Masunda in the guard roles announced already. Muo would not be effective at this level in the 4 spot, particularly defensively.

That would seem to leave a bits and pieces bench role remaining for Muo.

As Muo was about the first announced Huskies big signing it is doubtful that is why he was recruited.

Reply #739502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

didnt the huskies also sign brian michaels?

A bit of a perth connection happening with Bragg, Michaels, Muo, Billups and Nichols all playing in the SBL and or the Perth Wildcats at some point

Reply #739503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jones has been described as a 4/5 not 3.

Reply #739506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definite Perth connection it would seem.

Agree, the Huskies will likely struggle big time.

Unproven guards at this level.

Who is replacing Froling?

Who are the bench bigs?

Reply #739507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Muo played for South Sudan, he's probably there third import, as previously noted by others they will struggle but be competitive.

Reply #739508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people are simply idiots.
Muo is an Aussie. Der, a Perth connection. I wonder why. Froling will be replaced by an import.
FFS sake Bragg is a Tasmanian, didn't you know that? Muo is based in Brisbane and this will be his 3rd season in Hobart. Are there any points you raise that are valid? NO.
A starting 5 of Tre, Muo, Jones, Billups and import will give the NZBL a serious shake.
If you don't know "Who is replacing Froling? + Who are the bench bigs?" You really don't know at all.

Reply #739523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nznbl class Muo as an import, go to his wiki page, he played for South Sudan. Maybe you should check your facts, Hobart will probably try and work around it but even look at his interview today on there site and he says he doesn't think he’s an import but has been judged as one. If you think that side will do well in nznbl you got no idea. Fourth at best which would be a good result.

Reply #739525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wasn't Muo an import in the SEABL then?

Reply #739537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have I missed something? Why isn't Froling playing?

Reply #739538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^
Good question

Reply #739540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling is chasing the NAB or the NBA is chasing him- been in the general and social media.

Bragg is obviously a Tasmanian who also was on Wildcats roster for a short time - hence the Perth connection there.

WSocial media has it Nichols may be delayed?

Muo played for South Sudan - don't reckon SEABL knew about that or if they did overlooked it. NZ may not do the same. May be he is out on that basis hence the recruiting around/over him. Makes sense.

Reply #739544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe if the NZBL had all the rules in place well before now would help.
Equally the NBL1 group won't allow any player to switch between competitions.
Why is it also that all of the KIWI players that play above 7.5 minutes in the NBL aren't classified as Imports?
Rules for some and rules to suit the rule makers.

Reply #739546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems pretty simple.

Somewhat understandably the NZ rule makers are happy to accept the Southern Huskies money and all the publicity that will go with them being created from nothingness and then walking all over Hobart's basketball scene BUT NZ do not want or need the Southern Huskies to be overly competitive.

No thank you, not by a long shot.

If you understand New Zealand then there is only community back lash to be had from an accepting an Aussie Team and them cleaning up.

Reply #739548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rules might be crap on eligibility in the nznbl but were known, huskies should have known them and worked there team within the rules. If Froling out the five spot will be a major problem without someone his size playing the five.

Reply #739549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I hear they are being given a lot of grief. With the recent rules changes they will get a lot more from the Aussies I am sure.

Reply #739552 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

This may have been discussed already, but why exactly are the Huskies entering two teams in two separate competitions being run at essentially the same time ?

Was it because the NBL1 took so long to launch ?

Seems odd that an organization trying to enter the top tier spreads itself so thin ?

Reply #739557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Agree John 100%

Reply #739559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks to David Barlett capitulating and closing down the Chargers, the owners of the Southern Huskies decided to take on the extra 2 Chargers teams rather than let them have no elite competition to play in.
Pretty simple really.
The NZBL season is a short and sharp one with a massive load of talent. The NBL1 team is a reiteration of the seasbl - 2 teams + 4 new ones. Their season runs a lot longer.
All games across all competitions live streamed too.

Reply #739564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry Froling is officially out of the Huskies team.
He's off to the USA for NBA trials and workouts etc. Sad but not unexpected news.
https://www.facebook.com/southernhuskiesbasketball/videos/843193049350666/

Reply #739565 | Report this post

Craig Moller just announced as a fantastic signing.

Reply #739597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Moller play NBL 1 or Nzl Nbl

Reply #739619 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Southern Huskies so NZNBL.

Reply #739620 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Why is it also that all of the KIWI players that play above 7.5 minutes in the NBL aren't classified as Imports?"

Because players from NZ are locals in the NZ NBL.

Reply #739624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the Southern Huskies thread. So Southern Huskies

Reply #739626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller was chased by a few nznbl clubs but was patient as Hobart always wanted him, they just got their import restriction rules wrong. Should be a good signing for Hobart but they will still be mid table, like the nbl, the nznbl is getting a lot stronger, great for basketball down in this part of the world.

Reply #739634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies haven't announced their full side yet.

Reply #739637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good article in The Mercury today on Moller arriving. Huskies recruiting isn't over yet.

Reply #740447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good interview with Moller on the huskies Facebook page, said he's glad to be back and going through offers from nbl clubs. Mentions how he believes the competition will be a lot stronger than last season as well.

Reply #740475 | Report this post

Ron  
Years ago

As the end of the NBL season showed Moller is no Harry Froling...but a decent pickup nonetheless.

The Huskies still have not announced any bench forwards so there is surely more to be heard in that space.

Word is Muo is definitely out too.

Reply #740484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling is a great loss, but he's a five occasionally four where Moller is a three stretch four, apples and oranges. They do need to find a five man though even if it’s just to clog up the paint.

Reply #740492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Muo out cannot play as local as played for South Sudan - ineligible for tall blacks and boomers

Reply #740495 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754