Anonymous
Years ago

If you won $50 Mill in lotto, would you donate to the NBL?

If you won $50,000,000 in the Lotto, would you donate to the NBL?

If so, how much?

I would phone LK and say this is what I would like to do.

I would say here is $2 million, get some Adverts on FTA tv promoting the NBL and each NBL team.

I would give all 9 teams for next season, $500,000 each towards the salary cap (or perhaps that should read player salaries).

Then I would donate $1 million on tv and radio adverts advertising for more kids to start playing basketball. Whether that be the Aussie Hoops program or something else.
The junior participation rates seem very strong but I would be pushing to get the participation rates higher than soccer and AFL.

Topic #44711 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

PS I think I could easily retire on the rest of the winnings

Reply #731528 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

And people wonder why some people who win large sums of money are broke in the future.

Reply #731529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well actually I wouldn't retire. I would invest the rest of the money

Reply #731531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would move to america and have court side seats to whatever team was in town and never have to put up watching the nbl rubbish ever again

happy days

Reply #731533 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I would donate to my team before donating to the NBL.

Donating to the NBL is giving money to LK directly right?

Having said all that, there are a lot of more deserving charitable entities I would consider before the Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #731534 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

No, I wouldn't.

But it's an interesting question to ask what raising the salary spend per team by $500,000 might do? This year the average spend per team is about $1.7 million (based on average player salary attributed to an NBL spokesman in a Fox Sports article in October 2018). So we'd be looking at an average spend of $2.2 million per team.

Some teams have spent a lot more than others this season. So would an additional $500,000 for a team spending $1.2 million this year have greater impact on their ability to field a better quality team than $500,000 for a team spending $2.2 million this year? Would the overall NBL product quality improve? Or would most of the money go into higher salaries for current players (because teams could bid more to poach/keep talent like Sobey, Grida, Froling, Trimble, etc.)?

PS - I notice OP doesn't propose investing anything to improve the quality of refereeing. Does OP feels it's not worth investing there or that it's not necessary?

Reply #731535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would move to america and have court side seats to whatever team was in town and never have to put up watching the nbl rubbish ever again

happy days

Wrong thread. This is an NBL thread, which has nothing to do with the NBA or the topic

Reply #731539 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If you want to invest in the NBL, you'd surely want to buy a team. And make it profitable as a point of pride

Reply #731542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter John do you have the link to the article you quote about salaries

Reply #731544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would buy the Adelaide Lightning.

Reply #731545 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I would buy the Adelaide thirty snitches and then immediately shut the team down for my own amusement.

Reply #731546 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

If you were going to spend a load of money on player payments for just a year it'd be ideal if you ensured the Asian player rule actually meant the NBL had the top 8 Asian players in the world. That'd ensure the league got crazy ratings from overseas and actually build a base so the league could grow.

It's also interesting to note if Peter John is right and the NBL salary cap is $1.7 million it's the same as the Big Bash salary cap.

Reply #731547 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

PeterJohn

$50 million would buy a lot of refs.

Reply #731550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can think of better ways to waste money

Reply #731551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure I'd 'donate', but if I won a huge sum like that I'd consider buying a team as a bit of a hobby and maybe a small stake in the league

Reply #731553 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

You'd be broke really quickly!!

Firstly divorce the wife, so you only have $25Mil - Get a new younger chick or maybe two!!

Back and forth for USA few times a year to sit courtside, forget about the NBA.

Spend the rest of the time investing in actual investments that will return money and perhaps profit none of which include the NBL!

Reply #731556 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

HELL NO.

Look I'm a hardcore long-term NBL fan going back to the golden era and love the league but there are better causes out there if you want to donate a lump sum. Like helping children.

Reply #731559 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Buying refs. Total waste of money.... what would you get that you can't get talking to a brick wall.

Reply #731564 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I'd buy Trevor Gleeson a shirt that fits him.

Reply #731576 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

IMO, the suggested allocation of funds would not realistically move the needle and would have virtually no long-term effect. Especially a one-season $500k influx to a club.

Reply #731579 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I would purchase a second South Australian franchise giving long suffering Adelaide fans an alternative option to the 36ers.

Reply #731615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a privately run organisation. Donate money to Lk who is a multi millionaire in his own right. What a stupid topic. Sorry.

Reply #731623 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac. If you want to put money effectively into the NBL, it probably needs to be done complimenting, in assistance to what LK has started.

When I say that, I mean he didn't just put $10-20mil in to cover costs of running the league and ambition, that money provides a security and confidence for others to put their money in.

By way of example: investing in the 36ers would be a good way a good way to provide stability for a core capital city team with a strong sporting fan base. Stable NBL sides with the resources to consistently pay for quality talent like Melbourne, Perth, NZ provide value for themselves and the league generally, it's a positive ripple effect.

I'd imagine chucking in $500k is a good way for it to be lost pretty quickly - putting in $500k-$1mil would be better predicated upon drawing in others to do the same in a consortium, and influencing public expenditure of capital - such as pushing for an upgraded memorial drive to have capacity for Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #731698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there is any money after the cocaine and hookers... sure I'd make some stupid investments I guess

Reply #731773 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There are better ways to make/gamble money and there are more deserving charitable causes.

Reply #731801 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

How much would it cost to get 48minute games and being back jump balls ?

I don't understand the hate for OP, maybe his wording isn't correct but the passion is there and a financial consultant will help with any stupid decisions made on a whim

Reply #731845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would directly give $100K to ten players in every team = $8 million

Reply #731849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would directly give $100K to ten players in every team = $8 million

Reply #731850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know about donate but I'd see if kesselman would give up a minor stake for an investment. Maybe finance a Canberra, Wellington or Newcastle team

Reply #731856 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Coke and hookers wwwwaaayyyy before giving anything cough nothing cough to the NBL..

Reply #731999 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754