Isaac
Years ago

Adelaide Lightning into Grand Final

The Adelaide Lightning have swept their way past the Deakin Melbourne Boomers in the 2018/19 second Semi-Final series, booking a place in the Grand Final series which begins on February 9 with a 100-92 victory in Game 2.

A sublime performance from Adelaide's starting five saw four players reach double-figures and Nicole Seekamp record nine points and 12 assists as they tallied their second highest score of the season.

Melbourne’s offence was far improved from Game 1 but they could not get the job done defensively, giving up their highest score of the season- 28 points more than their regular season average.

They had no answers for Nia Coffey (30 points, nine rebounds, two assists), Lauren Nicholson (23 points on 9-10 shooting) and Kayla Alexander (20 points, nine rebounds, two steals) while Steph Blicavs also chipped in with 11 points and two assists.
Nice time to piece together a big score...

Topic #44723 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great to see!

Reply #731901 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Melbourne threw everything at them but impressively they kept standing up to it.

Series with Canberra;

Rd2 LOST @Canb 75-79. Led most of game but fact that Coffey just 18:39 (FT) was very costly.

Rd8 WON @home 91-83. No Clydesdale but no Tolo for Canberra

Rd10 WON @home 93-73. Both teams full strength (Tolo second game back)

Canberra's Mitchell is much better than she was up to those matches, plus Tolo. On the other hand Alexander (injury delayed start) & Clydesdale have peaked at the right time, as have both teams. The well coached Lightning should be very tough to shake off IMO.

Reply #731915 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Should be a cracker of series.
Cap's to prevail just.

Reply #731928 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I have to say though I'm a little bit over all of the gushing over the Lightning Cinderella narrative. Spending way beyond your financial means is not something to be proud of. Pathetic crowds, nothing to be proud of. Devaluing your own product to the point where attendance is free, nothing to be proud of. And the awful job of promoting the team in general is especially nothing to be proud of.

But that is all front office stuff. Purely on the court, the team took a while to gel but since they did they've been clearly the 2nd-hottest team in the league and are deserving grand final participants.
I'm leaning Canberra's way just slightly, but Adelaide is more than capable of winning it. (Surely Canberra's shooting can't continue at its current clip!)
Should be a great series and I hope it goes to 3 games.

Reply #731932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Devaluing your own product to the point where attendance is free"

Like the WAFL has every year of its existence?

Reply #731934 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Above.

I'm pretty sure the WAFL always sold tickets, especially before the WC Eagles joined the VFL.

Reply #732035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lack of promotion, stupid start times for home games and an entire league that gets little to no media coverage AT ALL, is what's to blame for the falling attendances at many clubs not just Adelaide, their lack of financial assistance for the future is what caused the demise( hopefully someone will step up now though) of the Lightening past this season, nothing else.

They are a good unit, that are leaking at the right time.

Reply #732050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching the AFLW compared to the WNBL is like chalk and cheese as far as an entertaining spectacle that showcases female athletes. If the AFL were not promoting the AFLW would anyone watch. That game Saturday Crows v Bulldogs was pathetic and to the point of embarrassing. I for one won't be putting myself through watching another game of women's football.
Pity basketball didn't have some more money in the mens game to promote women like football does.

Reply #732489 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754