Burn My Bra
Years ago

Sexism in BASA?

Why were all of the boys gf's at the Dome last Sunday all played on the main court & the girls shifted to court 3? According to sportingpulse, this should not have occurred, & its certainly not the first time games have been switched at the Dome without notice.

Topic #4478 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 20 men who always play main court as the final showcase of the day played on crt 3 so not all games were on main crt

Reply #51997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why were 16g1 girls moved(were scheduled for main ct)
20 men have not been on the main ct always every second year roughly

Reply #51998 | Report this post

Burn My Bra  
Years ago

Under 20 men not on the main court? Well that must make up for the other 4 finals.

Reply #52003 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

does it realli matter, a court is a court, it doesnt matter where the game is played rather how the game is played,

Reply #52006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

question is if it doesnt matter why was it changed and whos decision was it and it does matter to the kids

Reply #52022 | Report this post

Burn My Bra  
Years ago

I think its a complete lack of respect for our young female basketballers.

Reply #52023 | Report this post

KM  
Years ago

BASA isn't sexist: we're all fellas now..

Reply #52025 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

LOL BURN MY BRA seriously!
maybe they had a set program to keep all girls on the one side and guys on the other:O! DOES IT MATTER?????
shouldnt be thinking of being in spotlight, maybe focus on your game?

Reply #52050 | Report this post

pickles  
Years ago

it does matter if those games were shifted because by shifting the girls off the main court it implies that boys basketball is more important and deserves the main court.

Some of you may think that this is being petty, but I feel that it is a statement about how we value women in sport as a society... Just a thought...

Reply #52066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exactly

women play before the men
when lightning played before sixers the doors were not often open when the game began

high level teams like lightning were used as a warm up game not a 'well worth a watch' game.

look at the level of payment between men and women at all levels of basketball

the opals are a much more successful program and i'd be surprised to see them be paid more than a third of what the boomers are paid.

junior state champs they alternate the finals

ct 2 ct 3
boys girls
girls boys
boys girls

why can't that happen for the finals
moving girls to a lesser court makes you believe you are watching an inferior product when often it is not.

Reply #52067 | Report this post

sWeEt ChiLd  
Years ago

i wouldnt call it sexism, although it does seem a bit dodgy every1 now knows dat da opals r better den da boomers.

Reply #52075 | Report this post

Okay, post #52067 you are an idiot.

The reason why people feel they are watching an inferior product isn't due to the court, it's because they are in fact watching an inferior product!

I'm all for equality and don't consider myself misogynistic at all, but let's be honest for a second, women's basketball is considered to be slower, less athletic, less exciting than male basketball by the vast majority of people. What I recommend you do is stop feeling insecure over this fact and realise just because people would rather watch men's basketball doesn't mean basketball fans consider women's basketball to not being "worth a watch". It is really starting to shit me reading every second post in the women's forum having the words "inferior product" written in it by women themselves! No men get on here and call women's basketball inferior. It is the women themselves bringing this issue up and it isn't doing women's basketball any favours. It is about time you STFU and start playing ball.

As for the court issue, go to Wayville or a similar set-up stadium any Friday night and watch the stupidity of seeing a whole heap of spectators struggling to find space to stand to watch an Under 18 div 1 boys game on court 2 while the stand on court 1 would be lucky to be 10% full watching an under 18 girls game.

Furthermore women are paid well considering the numbers they pull to games. This is capitalism, if you want to be paid the same as others for doing an inferior job go join a communist country.

It would be great to see Lighting before the Sixers match because I do consider them "worth a watch" but won't see them playing at Wayville at the moment. Can't you see the pride people have watching our top level SA women ballers playing in front of a good crowd in the 4th quarter of a decent stadium as a good thing instead of having some hang-up about it being "inferior".

This post is all over the place I'm sorry but I'm simply saying what a lot of people are too scared to. Now get back to court 3.

Reply #52079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

read again sunshine and get your facts right

Reply #52093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wateva schoolgirl, if u dont have the time 2 watch a lightning game then y comment on the standard.

Reply #52102 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Congratulations, schoolgirl. I think you managed to insult everyone in that post of yours!

The fact that our 1st No 1 US draft pick was a woman in Lauren Jackson. She is slow and un-athletic? Give me a break!

Olympic stats - At least the women have medals!!

Reply #52104 | Report this post

pickles  
Years ago

japanese schoolgirl i think you are infact misogynistic.. I asume you listen to Eminem and wear a wife beater too... good on you for having your say though even if it is ignorant and poorly constructed.

womens basketball is not infereior, it is a completely different style of game.. Quite true, most women dont have the same vertical leap as men so therefore the style they play involves using thinking more than athleticism. It doesnt make it any less appealing.

Dont say that you are all for equality when your post is the contrary.

Now I've had my say, ill get back to the kitchen where I belong...

Reply #52114 | Report this post

Iceman  
Years ago

everyone gets bored watching girls slow games and none physical games they want to watch guys playing hard. aba women teams use under 16 boys teams as practice and the womens team gets hammered all the time.

Reply #52117 | Report this post

pickles  
Years ago

you've missed the point iceman.. The only reason the under 16 boys win is because they are more athletic, it doesnt mean they have a better basketball brain or better skills it means they are stronger, they jump higher and run faster..

The point is that since BASA encapsulates both girls and boys basketball then they both should be treated equally, should they not?? They both pay the same amount to play..

Reply #52118 | Report this post

I'm not claiming that BASA is sexist or that you are a hypocrite, but how come there is Under 20 mens and Under 21 Womens comp? surely some people (and I am not one of them) could say that this is being sexist!

By the way "Iceman", named after Darryl Pearce or the character from TOP GUN (Matt Ryan's favourite movie!)

Reply #52119 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

Just to clear up the 16 Girls issue. The reaswon that game was played on 1 instead of 2 was because both teams chose to warm up on that court before the refs even got to the court. Plus what does it matter what court you play on in a final. YOU ARE IN THE FINAL and playing on court 1 instead of 2 isn't going to change the outcome of the game 1 bit.

Reply #52128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rubbish the 16g1 girls on the sheet at the front door stated they played on that court they played on that is why both teams went to court 3 check your facts wateva

a lot of kids enjoy the fact they are on what is known as the show court during finals

Reply #52131 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

Hey they warmed up on court 3 and played on court three. If you check the game roster that included the referees roster you will find that yes they were rostered to court two.

Reply #52137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i did check it on my way in(sheet at the front door)

Reply #52165 | Report this post

Bruce Northcote  
Years ago

I reffed the U16 boys GF. It WAS scheduled to be played on court 3, but ended up being on court 2 because of the action of the U16 girls teams.

The girls (as stated already in this thread) simply took over court 3 before the guys got there. Given both girls teams were out there warming up, and no boys teams were in sight, there seemed no reason to upset everyone and kick them off.

Another example of people whinging when they don't have their facts straight.

Reply #52169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The U/14 and U/12 games were both scheduled for court 3. So I guess that the U/16's assumed that BASA were doing there usual. Probably not sexism, just poor organisation. To go along with not pulling out the stand. Not having any junior executive members at the U/12 games, just handing runnerup medals to team coaches without a proper presentation from the UIC, not having enough trophies fro each team.

Again just not good enough

Reply #52180 | Report this post

Your wrong  
Years ago

That is an absolute lie Bruce, the game had moved courts on the sign in sheet at the front desk. I can hardly see anyone changing the sign in sheet because the under 16's girls 'took over' court three. Next excuse?????????

Reply #52198 | Report this post

Bruce Northcote  
Years ago

Not a lie. How dare you (Your wrong #52198) accuse me of that.

It was as I stated on the referee roster - at the front desk - a few minutes AFTER scheduled tip off. I know because I went back to check when I saw the girls warming up on the wrong court.

Both courts were running late. It seemed as though the girls were more keen to get on with things than the guys. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

Reply #52200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce is right. The girls were definatly supposed to be on court 2

Reply #52202 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

As stated before whether the game is played on court two or court 1 or even court three it doesn't effect the result of who wins.

Reply #52204 | Report this post

norwest  
Years ago

why did both teams go to court 3 maybe because the sign in sheet for the coaches stated court 3

Reply #52212 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Maybe court 3 was closer to the kitchen....

Reply #52226 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

hahahahahahahahahahaha ... nice. Well deserved icon .

Reply #52235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In all honesty you're best off playing on courts one or three.

On the main court you need to coach, score or spectate from the ends of the court. Not the ideal scenario.

Reply #52243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok iceman, pull up ur soks n get on da court with lauren jackson and then lets c if girls arent that physical. Because i have a sister and im left under the basket with bruises.

Reply #52258 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754