Isaac
Years ago

Vickerman goes back-to-back as Coach of the Year

Melbourne United's Dean Vickerman became just the third coach in NBL history to take home back-to-back Lindsay Gaze Trophies as he was named Coach of the Year. Other coaches to win back-to-back Lindsay Gaze Trophies include Brian Goorjian (1997-98 and 2008-09), and Andrej Lemanis (2012-13).

Topic #44844 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

how was Gleeson not even in top 3? coached a mostly injured team to the minor premiership, yet that spud Gaze is there. God damn

Reply #734779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson must be a genius to coach that team to 1st place: needed a 3rd import, too old blah blah. Experts!

Reply #734785 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I hate Gleeson and would have given him coach of the year. His team was done, completely cooked and not making finals, we pulled rabbit after rabbit out of his hat and motivated a subpar team to the top.

They are injured, they are only really 7 players deep but they somehow went from not making the finals to first. That is a great coach.

The winner took the championship team and only just got them 2nd place.

Reply #734788 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought Vickerman deserved it unless Bevo got that Hawks team into the playoffs.

Reply #734789 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I have an intense dislike for the Wildcats but I would've given this to Gleeson. Followed by Bevo.

Gleeson had more injury issues to deal with.

You have to be impressed with their start and finish to the season. Who knows what happened on that mid stretch though

Reply #734809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Gleeson is a noise and probably wakes up in the middle of the night yelling foul, but he was the best coach, thought Gaze was up there as well in spite of the knockers. Vickerman did a good job but has a lot cattle to work with.

Reply #734812 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

The voting system seems flawed to me.Bogut is a worthy winner but very surprised cotton didn't finish closer.Gleeson definitely should be COTY with all the adversity they've faced this season to still finish on top is well deserved

Reply #734821 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It takes something pretty serious for me to go in to bat for Trevor Gleeson. There's just no way he wasn't top 3.
Bevo does a lot with what he's given so he deserves his spot. DV is a solid coach, though I'm not sure on what basis this season his achievements would be ranked above Gleeson. Gaze though??? I thought half the season Bogut was the most valuable player in the league was because he coached the team.

Flog got robbed big time. All we heard in Perth all f***ing season was a procession of experts telling us how short we would fall with only 2 imports. Then there were all the injuries, and then the form slump. I feel bad for Trev, and that makes me feel kinda gross.

Reply #734822 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Gleeson for Master Coach of the Year!

Reply #734829 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh well at least Gleeson takes home the Tits of the Year award as consolation.

Reply #734832 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

One year with Gaze as an assistant and then back to back coach of the year honours - Gaze is a genius! (/s)

Reply #734841 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

People need to get over their hate for Gleeson. The man is a proven coach. Personalities shouldnt really come into it unless you are personally involved. He's 2 clubs greatest ever coach (Townsville and Perth) and has a proven track record of consistent success. Yes his teams are talented and expectations are always high, but even talented big budget rosters need to be managed well.

Reply #734871 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm another one who can’t stand Gleeson’s antics, but I respect his ability as a coach. Similarly with Joey. They’ve achieved good results with their teams and their players despite a number of hardships.
Bevo’s done the same, but at least he’s not a pork chop on the court.
Vickerman to me is competent but his stacked team under-achieved in how they played; his players certainly didn’t dominate like they should have. I don’t agree with him getting the award.
Gaze is still learning, and needed Bogut’s coaching to make him look even respectable.
Kelly is still learning but could be very good with a better squad.
Braswell was respectable with a weak squad, and like Kelly shows potential.
Lemanis I consider similar to Vickerman.

Reply #734900 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@Haz pretty sure Ian Stacker is Townsville's most successful coach.

Reply #734927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, but this simply reinforces the perception that the numbers are picked from Larry's bum.

How in God's name does Vickerman win? And by such a massive margin?

And how does that prize boob Gaze make it into the top 3, ahead of Gleeson and Lemanis?

When did they tabulate the votes? 2 months ago?

Gleeson's a dick, but he took a team everyone had written off and said wouldn't make the playoffs without a 3rd import, and took them to 1st place.

Vickerman had the champion team, had 1st place handed to him on a Silver Plate, and choked.

Gaze has for three 3 years outspent the rest of the league by massive margins, adds an MVP in Randle, and then adds Bogut, and still barely manages to fall into the play-offs.

Fact is, if you were counting the votes now, I'd be tempted to give quite a few to Kelly. Clearly bumbled his way through most of the season whilst finding his feat, but then rebounded, with a team of rejects and has-beens, and nothing to play for but pride, and put major dents into some of the top teams.

Lemanis, against all expectations, got his team of misfits into the playoffs.

Whether you won't to reward excellence, or the coach who did a lot with a little, Vickerman shouldn't be there.

Reply #734930 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Question from the MVP thread...

[LV, do you think they got the voting right in the coach of the year award?]

I would've given it to Gleeson or Bevo.

Gleeson's team finished on top after dealing with injuries to 5 players during the season. All missing 3 games or more.

Bevo's team overcame its talent deficit and was knocked from the playoffs race in the 2nd last round, after keeping pace with teams who looked better on paper.

Vickerman may have been helped by the timing- maybe votes were counted before the loss to Cairns?

Having said that, Vickerman isn't a ridiculous victor. His lead assistant left mid season, and two of his main contributors missed some games. Another often looks sore.

Yet they won 18 games.

And United's roster isn't as stacked as many people think.

Sydney has better top end talent- Bogut, Randle, Lisch is clearly a better combination than any combination of 3 United players.

Perth bats deeper- with their 8th-10th rotation players filled by experienced guys who have played substantial minutes in multiple championships (Jervis, Hire), and another player buried on the end of their bench who averaged 13ppg as a starter in the NBL, then averaged 13ppg as a starter in the Belgian league before arriving in Perth (Steindl).

In fact, Perth's bench has 3 guys who were starters with their old team. Norton started the past 4 years- 2 with Townsville, then 2 with Illawarra. Jervis started the last 2 years for Brisbane. Steindl started in Belgium and the 2 previous seasons before that with Townsville. Wagstaff's been 6th man on 4 championship teams. Plus Hire, Vague.

So whilst I was impressed by Perth covering injuries well, maybe it shouldn't surprise us.

Trist, Moller and Hooley are comparatively inexperienced and haven't got anything like those runs on the board. I don't count Jois as he arrived a fortnight ago and has barely been on the court.

You could even make a case for Gaze- yes he has talent at his disposal, but his team was full of new faces. That puts him at a disadvantage compared to say Gleeson. Most of Gleeson's players know his system back to front and he knows how to use them. And that helps integrating new players too- don't doubt how helpful Martin, Wagstaff etc would be at training helping White and Kay learn the system. Gaze has less of that to assist him. Bogut, according to his MVP speech never trains!

Sydney won 18 games- a decent effort for a 3rd year coach with a fresh team in a league with so many well established coaches.

So in summary, I'd go Gleeson or Bevo. But it's a difficult award to judge and possible to make a case for several coaches.

Reply #735003 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754