Isaac
Years ago

Reuben Te Rangi wins Sixth Man and Most Improved

Solid option for both awards and won despite reasonable competition in each case.

Topic #44846 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow or Kay for MIP imo

Reply #734780 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Solid option"? He isn't the best bench player on his own team...

Reply #734781 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

With the new criteria, no way Barlow should have won it. Or even been nominated. How that happened I have no idea.

Reply #734782 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Barlow should've won Most Improved, Te Rangi fell away quite a bit in the last 1/3 of the season.

Reply #734791 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I had Jett as 6th man and Kay for MIP

Reply #734793 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Plenty of good options for both awards. Te Rangi must be happy he managed both

What's the voting process on these ones?

Reply #734837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, some dudes opened up their bottles of hateraide this morn.
Most Improved had to be TeRangi, looking at the numbers, and not previously reaching that level in his career. Nobody is saying Barlow wasn't incredible this year, just that it doesn’t make sense that a player of his previous calibre could be "most improved". Numbers don’t lie in this case.
Who was better off the bench for them numbers wise this season Koberulz? Take the emotion out of it, TeRangi was great.

Reply #734848 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Who was better off the bench for them numbers wise this season Koberulz?
If you insist on narrowing it down to numbers, in terms of +/- Te Rangi is -79, Vukona +86.

Reply #734849 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I concur with Zodiac. Te Rangi had a couple of nice games late in the season, but otherwise his great season was heavily front-loaded. Mika looked to me like he had nothing left in the tank last season but really turned it around this year and I think I'd have voted for him taking the whole season into account.

MIP is fair for Te Rangi who was probably on the cusp of falling out of the league (or signing with Cairns) before this season. Barlow was plenty good early in his career and shouldn't be a candidate for MIP.

Reply #734850 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Considering so many people on this board thought Te Rangi was lucky to even be in the league I think this is a well earned win.

Reply #734865 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

Agreed.

Reply #734877 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I would have liked to see Weeks pickup MIP I guess he did too well with Cairns last season.

Reply #734899 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Weeks was kinda the opposite to Te Rangi and really blossomed late. If he'd played that way all year he'd have been MIP I think. Breakers should've thrown him in at starter months ago and sent Ili back to that reserve role that I think is best suited to him.

Reply #734903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet more arbitrary awards with selection criteria nobody understands.

The 6th man makes no sense on many levels. Given the different composition of squads, the way coaches use players, and even the way a player's role will change throughout the season, it really too hard to nail down.
If you consider that Goulding started in less than half his games, how is he not best 6th Man?
I would also definitely have Jett ahead of Te Rangi, just an all-round better player.

Most Improved, should be renamed, to something like "Rising Star" or similar. To convey the point that it is clearly about young players on the up.
Last year, the "most improved" player was Walker. This year Barlowe or Steindl.

Reply #734934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If you insist on narrowing it down to numbers, in terms of +/- Te Rangi is -79, Vukona +86."

Yes. Numbers that have no import at all for anything. Until they start to use numbers that actually take into account what the oppostion does they are pointless.

Reply #734938 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754