Junior
Years ago

St.Clair New Stadium

Had the pleasure of being at our newest stadium upgrade Friday night and Saturday morning. I thought the setup and layout of the courts are fantastic, aircond Friday night was very good and court surface excellent. Now for the bad in my opinion. Carparking is hopeless ,not enough spaces and poorly designed. This was Junior Summer Season Grand Finals. If it wants to host major events like Nationals this will be a big turn off. Saturday morning, 40 degree day, aircond not on until around 11am. It was so hot for junior players and spectators. Why was the airconditior not left on overnight knowing it was going to be hot Saturday morning? Winning GF team given a medallion while runner up given a paper certificate, not even laminated. I smell a lot of BSA cost cutting here, absolutely pathetic considering the fees we pay for our children to play the game.

Topic #44908 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Win the grand final then, you want to encourage losing and raise losers?

Reply #736122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"we want better prizes for losing" - gotta love the millennial mindset

Reply #736123 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

122, Yes we did win the GF. I feel sorry for the runner ups as previously they got medallions at least and the winning team got trophies. Definitely cost cutting from BSA

Reply #736125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because this is run by an organisation that is an organisation which must maybe a profit expect further cost reduction approaches including maintenance etc. the air con not being on is just the thin edge of the wedge!

Reply #736127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aren't the courts concrete? Wouldn’t think that would be acceptable for major tournaments.

Reply #736128 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

I'm hoping North Adelaide is taking notes on all the faults of St.Clair and the Arc and make sure Lightsview Stadium is 1st class. Time will tell

Reply #736129 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I think the floors are terrible. Ball doesn't bounce.

Reply #736133 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I also found another issue earlier in the season when playing on court 3. As court runs East/west the sun shines through glass panels in the wall in the morning games so players can't see.

Reply #736135 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

135,probably an easy fix by installing the covers on the window, same wind up covers they use to divide the courts

Reply #736142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the floors are concrete with lines scratched into the wet cement , back boards are wooden and the rims are not spring loaded

Tiolets don't flush and the cafe has cold chips , and hot coke

You blokes will never be happy

Stadium is great , floors are fine , fiba spproved so I presume the ball bounces on it fine ,

Feedback from premier league trial games has been good and the 36ers kept training there instead of Wayville

Reply #736146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All that was asked was if the floors were concrete? Legit question out of curiosity.

No mention of anything else

Don't have to cry over it. Lighten up

Reply #736151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course they are not concrete , engineered hardwood

Flooring system is called Helsinki 10 10

I'll leave it to the knockers to look up the specs

Reply #736155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The car park is woeful.

I've heard bad things about the floor, but didn't notice it myself. Only casually shot around though, so could be a valid concern.

They are routinely stingy when it comes to the A/C in my experience.

Overall a good stadium, but not great.

Reply #736158 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

736158, exactly what I found out on the weekend. Carparking is poorly designed and not enough spaces. The Aircond should have been left on overnight knowing the next day was 41 and juniors playing. Like I said before, i believe its BSA trying to cut costs.

Reply #736165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the constructive response about flooring. Looked it up and seems good

No need for cry baby sook responses.

Thanks again. Question asked and an answer given. Easy process!

Reply #736168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I did notice last night is the amount of North teams playing, especially in the boys!

Reply #736170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Floors are laminate over concrete. Ran out of money for proper floors and cancelled an order they'd already made.

BSA don’t really get to control the air con or decide how hot the chips are. Centre management do. Talk to them.

Reply #736177 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

736177 so if BSA don't really have control over whether AirCond gets turned on or not, it is possible then tonights ABA game could be played in terrible heat with the Aircond not being turned on? I highly doubt that, BSA do have control over that and we all know it'll be on for the game tonight.

Reply #736192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

41 deg they shouldnt even have been playing. Don't they have a heat policy?

Reply #736200 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

Yes they do have a heat policy but with all teams playing in airconditioned St.Clair stadium juniors go ahead. The only thing left to do is get these muppets to turn the Aircond on, gee shouldn't be this hard

Reply #736205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the floors are concrete then? Not the Helsinki 10 10 as previously stated?

Reply #736206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My team trained there once in January I think. I believe it was 38-40 that day and still over 35 by the time we got there (it was one of those horrible 30 degree nights). Despite the temperature the staff turned the A/C off around 7:30.

Reply #736211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad I live in vic.

Reply #736213 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

There you go. You can have the best stadium in the world but if its run by turkeys you'll have all these issues

Reply #736221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Concrete floor are a serious risk and injuries over a period of time will surface. Ask the schools that have concrete rubberised or laminate flooring and they can tell you about their high rate of lower joint problems.

Reply #736223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stadium is not run by BSA but s third party. As said above they need to make a profit!!!

Reply #736235 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

736235, that may be true but BSA would definitely have major input into the decisions made

Reply #736236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Floor is 100% helisinki 10 10 engineered hard wood sports floor

Not laminate on concrete

Installed by aura sports

Same as Townsville , Ringwood and Sandringham

Not sure how much clearer it needs to be

Not laminate on concrete

Reply #736239 | Report this post

I'm floored  
Years ago

I know a bit about flooring but had nothing to do with St Clair install - it's not laminate, it's FIBA approved Helsinki system as mentioned above. You can check the sticker on the parts of the floorboard that are removed to plug in scoreboards to confirm.

It's definitely not a cheap option. Engineered wood is generally more expensive but due to less downtime for resurfacing you are meant to make the money up over the lifetime of the floor.

Now that I've given the sales pitch, here's my opinion - it is a terrible option for a multi purpose indoor stadium. When you can't control who comes into a stadium you end up with floors scratched to pieces and a terrible floor. It's made worse if the floor isn't cleaned regularly and it seems the YMCA are not maintaining the courts. I've gone in on a Friday seen a mess on the floor and then come back the following Monday and seen the same mess.

As for the support system, I am guessing the support system is foam. Less dead spots but with heavy use the foam settles and doesn't give the same bounce as your standard systemsbut that is ten years away from occuring.

So it's a expensive floor,not the perfect floor but still a good one. I think the bigger issue is if you do install engineered wood make sure you maintain it with utmost care and that doesnt seem to be happening.

Reply #736240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junior

I think you are wrong!

Reply #736243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair, that floor could half be described as laminate over concrete, so might be right.

I doubt BSA can walk into the office and hit the switch. I would also very much doubt YMCA would say no if they asked to turn it on.

BSA are renters. Not sure why you think they'd have a major say in anything.

Interested to know if PL has a heat policy. I know my A grade cricket team is playing today, but B grade down was cancelled.

Reply #736244 | Report this post

I'm floored  
Years ago

FYI - To be clear I think it's the best junior stadium in the metro area and Woodville have a chance to do great things in it which I believe they will under Gilbert and co. My beef is with YMCA not looking after it as well as they should

So while I think it's not the perfect floor choice it's still a good choice and people are whinging too much. Only the lack of car parks is the big issue.

Reply #736245 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great atmosphere at St Clare's for finals. Premier league players out supporting the junior. A combination of West, Norwood,Sturt and North in most finals.

Car parking is average and they need to add to it.

Feedback on floor is seniors have no issues with it but juniors struggle on it.

Reply #736247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been to both Townsville & St Clair, they are 100% not the same floor systems. The St Clair floor is not raised or sprung & have heard plenty of feedback on how bad it is to play on. Keep spitting your political bs about it being Helsinki..

Reply #736258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I emailed YMCA.

"The stadium slab is concrete but the floor itself is 100% wood about 1inch thick sitting on a 1inch underlay."

Reply #736265 | Report this post

I'm floored  
Years ago

Exactly...it's probably engineered Helsinki on a foam system as I suggested above.

I hate these foam support systems but it is definitely an expensive floor approved by FIBA.

Reply #736270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And clearly a FIBA wank. Why does FIBA have to even be involved FFS.

Reply #736276 | Report this post

I'm floored  
Years ago

Lol FIBA isn't involved at project level.

FIBA approve certain flooring systems and models as being worthy of high level FIBA competitions. They meet basic criteria around ball bounce, friction etc.

I don't think FIBA should include foam systems, but they do and that's what St Clair has got by the looks of it.

And at the end of the day you can't run certain competitions unless you have a FIBA approved floor.

Reply #736277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So not sprung hardwood floors, so still a big risk for injuries for those on it a lot. It's about absorbing the kinetic energy. Everyone needs to stop getting sold on the marketing of a new stadium when it’s just a new multipurpose council or ymca run community facility. Independent is the only way to go. The Arc isn’t all that, prefer the Starplex, more basketball friendly courts. Let’s hope Sturt and Souths can get their purpose built multi courts up and off the mark and give us some real courts, sprung floors, single markings with aircon, show court and full size additional courts at least 6-8 of themand a load of carparking, and some IT that works !!!!!

Reply #736288 | Report this post

Take luck  
Years ago

An image of the Flooring sample is on Woodville's website. Definitely the Helsinki one mentioned.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-4596-0-0-0&sID=400479&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=63260504

2 more carparks to go in as part of stage 2 of the overall project build. Currently additional parks on the other side of the building opposite to the existing car park. So that will improve.

What will be interesting is the car parking for the Lightsview stadium... ZERO parking in lightsview for the residents let alone a rec centre..

Reply #736321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you sure^^

Do you have the plans?

Reply #736338 | Report this post

Botibob  
Years ago

Nah you guys are right! It's terrible, knock it down and put back the old set up with low ceilings, crap backboards and floorboards older than the malls balls.

This stadium is so far the best in adl for junior comp l, sure car park needs more but hands down this is now the standard for future stadiums

Reply #736641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for stopping by Craig Gilbert

Reply #736642 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

I agree currently it's the best stadium we have at the moment. I just hope they can fix the teething problems encountered during last Friday night and Saturday morning junior Grand Finals. Hopefully they can fix the carpark issues and also if its 40 degrees outside instruct the centre management to leave the airconditioner ON. It was absolutely ridiculous and amazing they turned the airconditioner off 2 hours before the last Friday night game ended. Then Saturday morning it wasn't switched on until around 10.45am with everyone inside sweltering. The Aircond needs to be left ON at all times during excessive heat and BSA must instruct the centre management of this. Otherwise apart from this i thought the stadium looked fantastic

Reply #736754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA chipping in on the electricity bill?

Reply #736765 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Teething problems. Consider if no st Clair no games would been played. Carparking will be increased with the next stage of dev. Including through road to Woodville road. So other the self proclaiming experts who just critics. Fact venue huge improvement on previous. Fact increases courts available. Fact facility being used by Sixers warriors west forestville says it's well in demand.fact finals would be cancelled without. Fact negative people will be negative.

Reply #736770 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Be nice if work left a/c 24 / 7. Be even better still.if I could afford to keep.on 24/7at home. Be grateful games were played. Other opinion is just don't play or stay home. Suppose not enough shade provided in Carpark issue too was it. A 4 court venue be easier to cool and provide more car parks. Maybe next time. Perhaps catch the train. It's a nice walk. Less cars the better.

Reply #736772 | Report this post

Junior  
Years ago

Anon, not saying leave airconditioner on 24/7, that comment is a common petty response from someone like you. It needs to be left ON during all games played in excessive heat like that GF Junior weekend. It's not that hard to understand is it? The carparking obviously is a genuine problem as stated by many others. Your solution, catch a train. Another dimwitted comment by you. You're so good at it.

Reply #736998 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Shit stadiums Wayville top.ofthe list. Pisses rain and stadium useless. Eagles move to mars please.

Reply #750206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To MARS? Haha

That used to leak every time it rained too. If you were really lucky the lights also went out, so you had the excitement of trying to find your way out in the dark on slippery wet floors.

Reply #750232 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754