Aussie
Years ago

Will Weaver or Rob Beveridge for Kings coach?

I have been reading a bit about Will Weaver.

Has been an Assistant coach for two NBA teams. Now head coach of the Long Island Nets of the G League, who are currently on top of their division there.

Assistant coach of the Australian Boomers.

Sounds well spoken and appears to know what he is doing.

On the other hand we have Bevo.

Everyone knows Bevo's credentials and success in the NBL.

Question is, who would you prefer as head coach for the Kings and why?

Topic #44990 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hwill Hweaver

Reply #738953 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I'd like to see Weaver get the job purely just to see a fresh coaching face in the League. Bevo is still one of the best coaches in Australia and will get another job without doubt.

Reply #738954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver has my vote. Would also be a much better option than current Phoenix coach.

Reply #738970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Henare.

Reply #738977 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Paul Henare"

I think you will find he is staying with Melbourne United

Reply #738978 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Has been an Assistant coach for two NBA teams"

No, he has been a "Special Assistant" to the coaches of two NBA teams, big difference.

Reply #739000 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"No, he has been a "Special Assistant" to the coaches of two NBA teams, big difference."

Ok thanks.

What exactly are the differences?

Reply #739003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be announced by tomorrow at the latest.

Reply #739042 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Well, I have to say that even though I know nothing of him, the mere fact that he's not Bevo and is unproven as a head coach at this level, is more than underwhelming, it's downright messed up...

First off, if it comes true, kudos to the anon that was saying that it wasn't Bevo or someone who had head coached at this level and that it was locked in already... That's pretty much as close as you can get without actually naming them, so well done...

Secondly... In the announcement of him taking the reins of the Long Island Nets, there was more words dedicated to him earning a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy than about his head coaching experience...

No matter who the owners are, who the management are, there must be some disease in Sydney that makes people want to avoid experienced, highly qualified people for that role...

Who have they had since they returned?

Moose
Hammer
Damian Cotter
Kebab shop after the pubs close guy
Gazey

I have to say it... Fucking seriously?

Reply #739048 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, it's been a string of "gambles" at HC ever since we came back into the league, agreed. All the same, I'm not against some fresh blood in the NBL coaching ranks, as long as the person being chosen is considered the best candidate (and for the right reasons). I know nothing about Weaver beyond what is posted here, but from what I recall the anon who wrote the above also said it's obvious, and Weaver isn't obvious.

Reply #739056 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

First off, if it comes true, kudos to the anon that was saying that it wasn't Bevo or someone who had head coached at this level and that it was locked in already... That's pretty much as close as you can get without actually naming them, so well done...
Weren't they also saying it was "obvious" and couldn't be announced until after the grand final? It seemed to be pretty clearly hinting at Nielsen.

Reply #739074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots off high profile coaches applied from all over the world I'm hearing.

Reply #739077 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Moose Robbiliard, Joe Connelly and Andrew Gaze eras have been my most enjoyable at the Kings.

Reply #739079 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Any chance for Marty Clarke?

Reply #739082 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

With Gleeson staying at Perth it certainly does open things up for Nielsen.

Reply #739084 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Moose
Hammer
Damian Cotter
Kebab shop after the pubs close guy
Gazey

I have to say it... Fucking seriously?

Is there something in the water in Sydney? What a shitshow/waste of a decade.

Reply #739085 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Lots off high profile coaches applied from all over the world I'm hearing.
Last time we heard that, Trevor Gleeson got the job.

Reply #739088 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Is there a point?

Reply #739103 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"What exactly are the differences?"

Seriously?
You don't understand the difference between a Coach, and an "assistant"?

Let me give you an analogy:
If you fly to America, there is a Pilot who flies the aircraft, then there is the Co-Pilot who helps him fly the aircraft and can take over if needed.
Then there is the hostie who brings them their coffee.

A "Special Assistant" is the modern PC term for a lackey.

Reply #739106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I flicked my co-worker right on the ear with a special assistant

Reply #739111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THe Kings desperately need to get it right this time. Including assistants.

Reply #739116 | Report this post

Well Researched  
Years ago

D2.0

There is a significant different between an 'Assistant Coach' and a 'Special Assistant to the Head Coach' in the NBA.

A front of the bench Assistant Coach is significantly higher on the pecking order in the coaching staff - he/she will be involved in high level decision making on the staff.

The 'Special Assistant to the Head Coach' is essentially one step up from being the Video Coordinator of the team.

He will be delegated duties from the Head Coach - scouting, video, game reviews - but he/she doesn't have the formal decision making duties nor does he/she have a voice during practice, film sessions or games (like an Assistant Coach would).

Reply #739117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In most cases I would agree. In this case, Will Weaver has not been a "Normal" Special Assistant. Will is Kenny's right hand man. He is in a decision making role and has Kenny's ear 100%. He was hand picked for the G League Head Coaching role to fast track his learning. He has done a fantastic job.

His role with the Australian Boomers is a significant one and is highly regarded by all players. If he was to be successful for the Sydney role, you watch the players flocking to want to play for him.

Reply #739127 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

THe Kings desperately need to get it right this time. Including assistants.

Well, they just sent a message that Weaver has been appointed head coach... What a fucking joke this club is...

https://twitter.com/SydneyKings/status/1108866342323576834

Reply #739129 | Report this post

joe  
Years ago

Thank you coach Weaver. We didn't get Hamilton or Ball and were feeling kind of cheated. You used your well earned relationship with the new Pelican's GM and put together a deal and took it to management and said, "Hey boys, this new program you have isn't much of a program if only one or two teams get to take advantage, so how bout we create a bigger pool to throw our nets into. Here's a way for everyone involved to win. NBL wins, NBA wins, Players win, Teams win. Kings win. Way more publicity and way more interest." You can bet the Pelicans will be watching closely all year. As will every NBA team and every NBL team and every league in the world. This league just got better all because of you and your crazy, outside the box, American thinking. Genius. You already got the league's best 1 and 5, and this latest is an NBA quality 3. You're speaking at the annual summer league Coaching U clinic in Vegas with the summer league on Monday and Tuesday and people are paying $399 just to get to hear you and a few other NBA coaches speak. I'm thinking it just might be worth the money. Of course that Bevo fellow was nice too.

Reply #749729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROFL
So you think Weaver is some kind of wonderful because he charges money to hear him speak?
Or because you imagine he was behind the recruiting of Didi??
(You really think Weaver was best placed to get JL & LK to change the rules???)
Apparently you also give Weaver credit for recruiting Bogut last year, and Ware. (If identifying Ware as the best player in the league last season is all it takes to be a successful NBL coach, then I'll start sending out my resume.)

Even if all the above were true, so what? You'd hire him as a recruiter or maybe even Manager.
We've all seen (and far too recently) coaches with superstar teams who couldn't coach a fart out of their ass.

Weaver has one season as a Senior Coach in the G-League. Like most, after the Gaze years, I have high hopes for what he will do at Sydney, but yeah, maybe don't swallow until you see what he can actually do as a coach.

Beveridge is a championship winning and highly respected NBL coach, so maybe lay off the disrespect.

Reply #749815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd gladly pay $399 to hear Weaver explain what he insists on drops coverage on every single on ball screen.

Reply #796912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well yeah.
Beveridge would be heading for another championship.
Beaver is heading for the most embarassing exit in NBL history.

If he loses game 3, I just hope he has the decency to get on the first plane home, and never return.

Reply #796946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will never be Beveridge

Reply #796948 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:42 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754