Are these worth it?

Topic #44996 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

In hindsight no.

Reply #739044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Used to be good baby sitting during school holidays. Now not even that.

Reply #739055 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

From experience with my club's camps, I have to say that a few kids might benefit but generally it’s just a way of making some money while keeping the kids occupied doing what they love.
Occasionally, we might also bring in a guest semi-pro player who the players actually know; however, even the bench players aren’t cheap, and so often can’t relate to kids that young.

It makes me uncomfortable that we sell these camps as coaching clinics but then take on too many kids to be able to give them individual or appropriate attention, especially those who really need it.

Reply #739060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The camp itself is nothing special, but its a selection camp for the Showcase which is worth it. At the Showcase last year they mixed the kids up into different teams and just played a round robin tournament. It was great for them to meet a stack of kids from different clubs, play lots of basketball against good players and have a lot of fun doing it.

Reply #739064 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

I think they are important part of pathways - what state are you talking about too ?

Reply #739099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great introduction to the pathway, BUT, too much superstar pressure put on these kids too soon. So many don't go the distance, as other kids catch up as they get older and bigger. The system spits the kids out without any after thought. If these camps were able to help the kids improve rather than pick the future 7 years of NITP and state teams, the sport would be in a better place.
Start at U16 when the kids are starting to sort themselves out. Unless of course it’s a big money spinner for the relevant associations?
Spreads the coaching resources too far as well.

Reply #739292 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754