Aussie
Years ago

Will Weaver new Sydney Kings head coach

On the Kings website and Facebook page

Topic #45000 | Report this topic

Wang whipper  
Years ago

So much for that anon who kept saying it was obvious who the next coach was going to be.

Reply #739124 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I like it

Reply #739125 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

He's got to be an upgrade on Gaze

Reply #739128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he the real deal

Reply #739133 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Imagine interviewing Bevo who was on peanuts at Illawarra and then not signing him. Yikes. Doesnt matter how good this guy is he doesnt have the NBL experience that Bevo does. Bevo's style is perfect for this league PLUS he gets the most out of his players, what he could have done with a Sydney budget would have been Goorjian level imo.

Oh well.

Reply #739139 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

Weaver has coached well in NBA G-League, leading nets G league team to playoffs, with mitch creek. I would have assumed he'd prefer to stay in NBA system, but must have wanted to come home to Australia, He is also involved in the national program, so being back in the nbl would have its benefits.

Reply #739140 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I like this signing

He is an experienced coach, his Nets are top of G League.

Also involved in boomers.

Should have a great insight on both Aussies and potential imports.

I look forward to seeing how he goes and what roster he builds.

I also would have been happy with Bevo, which is what seemed to be expected.

Either way its waayyyy better than the previous Gaze/JVG regime.

Reply #739142 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Typical Kings move they should've gone for the veteran coach in Bevo.

Reply #739144 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah I'm OK with this, doing a bit more reading on Weaver. It's not the "safe" pick, but I think both Weaver and the Pongrass signing seem like positive moves. I don't mind some freshblood in the NBL coaching ranks, either.

Reply #739146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope he's better than Demopolous.

Reply #739148 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Illawara it seems the only club without a coach. Looks like Bevo will be coaching overseas next season. Or maybe a chance at Brisbane?

Reply #739149 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

We (Illawarra) have Flinny!

Reply #739151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 of the "3 best NBL coaches" don't have a job right now. crazy!

Reply #739154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where have you been Bol?

Reply #739172 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Too busy celebrating ;)

Reply #739176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where does this leave bevo?

Reply #739180 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Very weird signing, but as usual we'll never know the full background. Maybe Bevo wanted too much???

Besides, who actually signed this new guy? Who's running things at Sydney? Maybe it was somebody (Pongrass?) with better knowledge of Weaver.

The interesting thing about Weaver is that he was highly regarded as a development coach when coaching in the lower leagues.

Can only hope this isn't another "America Knows Best" signing, they don't end well. But we'll only know once he gets going.

For me though, the big gap they have now, is in recruiting and signing a squad for next season. They need to lock in their local talents, and at the right price, and who is going to do that?

Reply #739181 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Wright is likely staying.
Kelly is staying but should be fired.
Vickerman is staying.
Lemanis about to be re-signed according to the news.
Gleeson re-signed.
Flynn signed.
Weaver signed.
Braswelll should be fired.

Reply #739186 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Thought I'd post this in the appropriate thread:

Bol asked "How are Sydney still dithering?"

You tell me. Who's doing the recruiting?
Is Weaver even in the country yet, or is he still tied up in the G-League?

If his knowledge of the NBL is based on carrying the whiteboard for Brown and Lemanis, then God help Sydney.

Or are the going to suffer through yet another GM/CEO doing the hiring and saddling the coach with a bunch of overpaid hasbeens.

Reply #739190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If knowledge of the NBL was so important then Gaze would have been the best coach ever yet he wasn't. arguably he wasn't even in the top 2.

Reply #739191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze wasnt in the top 8 coaches really,

I wonder if Weaver and the Kings should look at bringing imports in from the Long Island Nets, who are doing really well and would have chemistry advantages with Weaver etc, and all fringe NBA high level imports

Id be looking at Pinson SG/SF, Williams PF/C, McLaughlan PG, I reckon those guys would do well in the NBL and be decent fits,

Williams/Bogut front court may lack shooting, but they can probably make it work with some good inside play in the high/low post

Reply #739205 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I don't care how many times can stretch including "NBA" in his experience, we've seen how that goes in the past... Bevo with a Kings budget, his ties to current veteran players AND his ability to bring in young talent would have been brilliant... But no, the Kings had to go their usual way... It doesn't seem to matter who are the owners or in management, they still seem to pick wrong...

For me though, the big gap they have now, is in recruiting and signing a squad for next season. They need to lock in their local talents, and at the right price, and who is going to do that?

I made this point earlier tonight on the twitterer... He's locked up until mid-April if he goes all the way, but even still, players will be looking at their options leading into the FA period opening up and we all know how they all stick to the rules with that, so the new coach is stuck over there, do we know if any assistants will be retained? Who is the GM? Has JvG been given the official arse yet?

Pongrass wasn't starting until when?

They could do a hell of a lot worse than hoping they can get Bevo as an assistant to run the recruiting and whatnot and if/when this all blows up in their face, not let the wrong coach go again...

Reply #739210 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Damn u weaver!!!!!!

Reply #739214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If knowledge of the NBL was so important then Gaze would have been the best coach ever yet he wasn't."

Anyone who listened to Gaze commentate knows he had no real knowledge of the NBL.

Reply #739222 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

i'm seeing many of the (quite good) reasons for signing Marty Clarke being rolled forward for Weaver.

While I sincerly hope for Oz local pro and semi-pro leagues that Weaver is a classy addition to the fairly thin coaching ranks, I will react with great interest and unashamed glee, should he prove to be another sydney coaching Dud.
just have not warmed to sydney since the damien keogh days.

Reply #739232 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Have the Kings signed any imports yet? I wonder if Weaver's connections and familiarity with the G-league might open up opportunities in finding some quality imports.

Reply #739241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings got get there Australian players right first and select imports around them. Quality G league players that don't make nba can get better money in Europe.

Reply #739243 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Very Old - was the Three-O days the last time you liked Sydney, or you started disliking them back then because of him? :D

Kings definitely have to sort their locals out first, only imports worth their salt need re-signing early and the Kings definitely didn't have any must-have Cotton-like imports last season... Not sure where Randle was at most games, but he just didn't seem part of it all a lot of the games... Whether that was a chemistry thing or not, who knows, but when I remember some of the past Kings teams when even though they were losing, the chemistry was still there, it just didn't seem like that at all last season... Not sure if that was a Bogut thing or not, but hopefully part of Waver's deal is that he gets to pick his own team (and that his current playoff run won't be to the Kings detriment early on)

Reply #739247 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

As we can see from the grand final games, the contacts with good imports are much more important than local players.

Please Melbourne take Pineau back.

Reply #739264 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Pretty much nearly every import lately has had their moments where their own fans haven't wanted them or thought they could do better... The core of Perths success over the last 10 years has been their Australian contingent and getting the right imports in to suit... Plus also Bryce Cotton just managing to outscore everyone... That really helps too...

Reply #739283 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

For me, the Kings need to get a true point guard which Randle isn't. He is a shooting guard in a small point guards body. Numerous times last season you could see he wasn't sure what play was being run and where he needed to be. Someone who can play good D and contribute 10-12 points a game with 4-6 assists. Then Lisch can play his natural 2 spot next to the solid 1 guard. Ex Saint Mary's guard Mickey McConnell would be ideal and has been putting up similar numbers in Europe.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/euro/players/mickey-mcconnell-1.html

Reply #739443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team needs a straight 1, an explosive 3 and a 4 who can swing to the 5 on occasion as the three imports. Lisch comes back as a starter to play off the ball, Newley as a sixth man and maybe Kickert if he's prepared to play a lesser role. That's a solid seven. Adnam I'd look at as the backup PG, provided you never play him at the same time as the import one - unless the import one has good size. Wilson is off to AFL I've heard so he's out as an option, but they'll need some shooting and toughness off the bench. A good solid role player would be ideal.

Reply #739446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign Tre Nichols from Hobart. He will get the job done without a doubt.

Reply #739455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tre is not very good. That statement is right up there with ray turner will get it done at NBL level. They are state league players at best.

Reply #739457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to compare the 2 players. Tre is as good if not better than most small Pg's in the NBL.

Reply #739458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tre tell your dad to go back to bed, it's late over there. Lol. He’s a shoot first guard as well.

Reply #739459 | Report this post

chillbaby  
Years ago

Totally agree WookieE "I don't care how many times can stretch including "NBA" in his experience, we've seen how that goes in the past... Bevo with a Kings budget, his ties to current veteran players AND his ability to bring in young talent would have been brilliant..." I thought it was a no-brainer to take on Bevo for all of the reasons mentioned. I'm still shaking my head - we had the opportunity to get a known quantity who is highly credentialed and respected - the ideal situation for employing such an experienced NBL coach considering nearly every coach since our return has been an unknown quantity (whether inexperienced or not) with generally very poor results...

Reply #739481 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It's a joke to use american coaches when Bevo & neilson are more than capable.

In saying that choosing between the 2 would have been tough! How about ex captain & fav. son Matty as HC & Bevo in an advisory role?

Too late now.

This Weaver will be like Demopolous 'awwwwrigghhht' & better get some quality imports!

Reply #739600 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

You guys are acting like Weaver is some nobody off the street coaching social games.

He has worked in the NBA, his team is current top of the G League. Won't you guys at least give him a chance?

I'm not saying he is the next Goorjian or Brett Brown, but at least give him a chance.

Reply #739605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver could end up very successful, but it certainly looks a bit off a gamble from the outside spectators point of view, especially after the run off coaches Sydney has had since there return to the league. Demopolis (?spelling) towel waving guy all had good credentials but didn't make it.

Reply #739629 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@Lovebroker - lol... Yes, I'm sure "working in the NBA" really highly qualifies someone... Dean Demopoulos worked in the NBA, so did Joe Connelly III if I recall? How have THEY worked out in the NBL? I'm not saying that Weaver can't be a good head coach, I'm suggesting that after HOW many coaches that were just "given a chance" that Kings fans deserve a battle-tested and proven head coach...

Moose
Hammer
Cotter
Joe "Kebab Shop after closing" Connelly III
Gaze

If Bevo wasn't available, that's another story (& even then, taking a chance on Matty Nielsen could have been passable) but when he IS, again, and they take this "NBA" path, it's both concerning and frustrating...

I'm sure Perth and Adelaide fans would be quite happy to take a fairly green head coach with only a near full season of G-League under his belt and "give him a a chance"? HA!

Reply #739633 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

The best NBL team couldn't beat the worst NBA G league team. This Weaver fellow has been coaching your best on the national team for the Last 5 Years. You guys are advocating for a coach that just got fired from the NBL. And nobody's going to want him in the United States cuz he's not that good. One of your best players on the national team, Mitch Creek, couldn't get on any NBA Squad. But Weaver took him under his wing, coached him up, made him better, and got him 2 10-day contracts worth over $100,000. Ask mr. Creek what he thinks of coach Weaver. Or ask any of the national players what they think of mr. Weaver. He didn't even apply for this job. They came after him. And the reason they did so because he's the hottest thing in the NBA G League this year. And I bet you $3 that they make him Coach of the Year in tomorrow night's game. Why do you think they limit the amount of foreign players that can play in the NBL? Is it because there wouldn't be any Australian players if that wasn't the rule? You guys really aren't that bright. And the NBL isn't very good. Maybe this Weaver fellow can improve the program and the league. You guys could use the help.

Reply #739685 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I have no idea about Weaver and not a Bevo advocate but Jackson if Weaver is so good and our league is so bad why in the hell is he coming here???

Reply #739687 | Report this post

PDIDDy  
Years ago

Don't know but I'm guessing someone will ask him that. I'll take a shot just for the heck of it. Better people here. Better weather here. Fewer games here. More money here I'm guessing. Smaller tax burden. Someone said he has a new baby boy and playing fewer games means more time with the family. I have heard interviews with the national team and they all love him. Bogut had to sign off on this I'm guessing and he's been coached by both coaches. So there's that. Back in the states all he can hope for now is to be another assistant coach, and I'm also guessing that once you're a head coach it's probably harder to go back being an assistant. Here's one thing I know for sure, any coach in the NBA is probably going to know stuff our NBL coaches do not. You can bet the new ownership in Sydney did their due diligence. Because they are on the hook if it doesn't work out. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised. I have seen their show "Homegrown..The Bridge to Brooklyn" and he clearly is the smartest person in any room. And since almost half of the players in the NBA have to spend time in the G league, that means he's coached some pretty good players. Plus time with the 76ers and the Brooklyn Nets. Whatever brings him here I'm thinking yeah. NO more Gaze.

Reply #739699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson, how come, albeit preseason, a lot of nbl teams stayed with nba for a majority of games. Now you're saying teams that aren't nba standard are easily going to beat an nbl team. Not saying it would happen but most of those guys are in it for themselves trying to get an nba contract, not playing team basketball. And if Creek was a real good and a real good g leaguer then it shows theyre at least on par.

Reply #739703 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You can watch Weaver on the sidelines as his Long Island Nets are in the NBA G-League Finals airing on ESPN2. Game 2 replay is on at the moment, and the series will be going to a third and final game. All he seems to do is bitch massively on the sideline to officials?

Reply #740936 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Game 3 is on Saturday morning.

Reply #740938 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

All he seems to do is bitch massively on the sideline to officials?
Should fit in really well in the NBL then.

Reply #740942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good, might be able to keep up with Gleeson or Wright. :))

Reply #740944 | Report this post

PDIDDy  
Years ago

I watched the game and I couldn't hear what he said to those guys. Maybe you have a better TV than me. All I really know is that when all the other coaches and GM's voted, they thought he was the best of the best. Seems like they might know. Of course they don't have your TV. So far home court has won every game and the last game is in Long Island. Of course it would have been helpful if their one Australian starter wouldn't have sold out for money for a 10 day contract just when his teammates needed him most. A stain on his character that will be hard to remove. I'm sure they wanted coach Weaver to come over right away but I'm guessing he told them that if they wanted him they needed to wait until his obligations to his team were done. Shame that Aussie Creek fellow didn't feel the same way. And before you keep sticking your foot in your mouth you might want to read what all the players that have already signed have said in interviews about their new coach. They seem to be tickled pink. Of course they also don't have access to your magic TV.

Reply #740961 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Ok Mrs 'PDIDDy' Weaver, calm your farm... Creek's goal is to play NBA, every SINGLE player in the G-League would drop their team quicker than blinking to get a 10-day contract as THAT IS WHAT THEY PLAY G-LEAGUE FOR.

Also...

You can bet the new ownership in Sydney did their due diligence. Because they are on the hook if it doesn't work out.

AHAHAHAHA... Are you new to the Sydney Kings?

Reply #740966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he looks like he knows his stuff. I believe he's very much on the front foot all that’s going on at the kings.

Reply #740967 | Report this post

PDIDDy  
Years ago

No,No wooookieB, I get it. There will always be guys who bail on their teams for money. They didn't sign him to a NBA contract. It's a 10 day deal. And there will always be guys like you who think it's OK. Me, I'm old school. Money is not as important to me as my teammates. This isn't the middle of the season. This is for all the marbles. So you go ahead and think it's the thing to do. You sound like a real class guy. But I wouldn't want you on any team I've ever been on. And I've been on plenty. Got the trophies to prove it. I'm guessing you've never been on a team. Or you would know. I like Creek. But I think that was a poor decision.

Reply #740975 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh dear!

Reply #740981 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Bwahahahaha, that's gold.

Do you even understand the concept of the G-League?
I'll give you a clue, before the Gatorade sponsorship it was known as the D-League, and the D stood for development.
It's SOLE purpose is to foster talent for the NBA. Period.
Creek is doing exactly what he is supposed to. If the league didn't want that to happen (ROFL) they could have easily restricted players to only signing with their Affiliate.

Reply #741004 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

AHAHA... This guy... I wouldn't want you on my team either, can't even copy/paste someone's name right... Me, I'm an old school copy/paste champion back when you had to copy something and then walk 10 miles through the snow barefoot to paste it... I have the trophies to prove it, mate... pick up your game...

Reply #741010 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Weaver's Nets lose in Game 3. No championship.

Reply #741207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's just getting warmed up to get the kings a championship.

Reply #741210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they lose in 3. Why is that an issue? They might have won in 5.

Reply #741275 | Report this post

PDIDDy  
Years ago

So just to address the issue of him being a video coordinator. In America, almost all assistant coaches are video coordinators their first year in any league. That's how American coaches climb the coaching ranks. They want their coaches to look at a lot of tape. Who did what. Break things down. That's how you learn. Weaver has been a coach now going on 17 years. His first year coaching high school basketball he was the video coordinator. His first year at the University of Texas he was a video coordinator. His first year in the pros with the 76ers he was a video coordinator. He was at the 76ers for 3 years. He was only a video coordinator that first year. Which was 6 years ago. To keep referring to him as a video coordinator to try and demean his many coaching accomplishments seems kind of silly. If you watch any of the utube videos from the Brooklyn Nets interviews with the GM or Head coach or any of the Brooklyn nets players, they all refer to him as the Einstein of analytics. He's who explains it all to everyone else. This is a talented guy. Let's not run him off. The Kings are lucky to have him. Stop already with all the insults. And as a side note, even though they had home court advantage, their GM rented their arena out for a boat show for last nights game. They played in a small college gym an hour away. One reason for so few fans. Not an excuse but not at all what they were used to or deserved. No nap between morning run throughs and the game. They probably wouldn't have beaten these guys anyway but it didn't help.

Reply #741301 | Report this post

PDiddy - so what you are saying is that the Kings hired someone who has very little actual 'in game' coaching experience after just coming off having another Head Coach who failed miserably with very little meaningful ‘in game coaching experience’. Can you go back and look through that detailed resume you have outlined of Will and count up the number of games he had actually been a Head coach of a game. You know called a timeout, sub, changed his defensive scheme, drew up an ATO play. I’ll wait. My count is one season of G League basketball where coaches’ biggest responsibility is developing players. And don’t say that sitting on a bench is ‘game coaching’ experience being the Head coach is vastly different. Just ask Mike Kelly, Andrew Gaze, Kevin Braswell, Chris Anstey, Joe Connerly....

Reply #741302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All interesting points of view above posts, time will tell, if the rumour was true that JVG had Neilson for the job though, he had no senior coaching record either.

I would've liked Neilson but I’m certainly going to give Weaver time as he does look like he has the goods. Obviously money played a part but Ware has never been signed this early in a season so he was glad to follow Weaver.

Reply #741303 | Report this post

PDIDDy  
Years ago

I agree that senior coaching experience is a big part of being successful. Gaze had a lot of game day experience. You are absolutely right. But it's just one part of being a successful coach. I think where the Kings want to go is improving their players. Nobody comes to Australia to get better. They come to Australia when they are too old or not good enough to play in the NBA and they can't wrap their minds around maybe selling used cars or selling insurance for the rest of their lives and the NBL will let them put that off for awhile. The Kings want to embrace analytics. That's becoming a big part of the NBA. For example, the numbers show that if you can shoot 23% behind the arc you're better off taking the 3 than a mid range jumper. That's why nobody in the NBA wants Creek. He can't hit a jump shot. His style of play doesn't work in the NBA anymore. Nobody posts up. Even guys that are good at it. If you can't hit the 3 you are useless in the NBA. The Kings want someone who the players respect. They want someone who listens. Who doesn't have a big ego. Who knows a ton of players that want to play for him. Who wants to learn and get better. Who understands nutrition and strength and conditioning. Will he win every game. Nope. And he might have a terrible first season. But I think what excites the Kings is a guy that in his very first year, put together a pretty good team. Over 50 games and his team led the league (27 teams not 9) averaging over 117 points per game. And they sucked shooting the 3. But They led the league in rebounding 53 per game. Also led the league in points in the paint and second chance points. They tied for 2nd in assists. I think the Kings feel like if he can do all that at his first try, what happens when he gets some more games under his belt. And nobody wants to coach in the G league. Commercial flights, shitty hotels, low per diem, no fans and everybody can steal your best players. Zero continuity from game to game. They won games when four starters were out. There are 108 foreigners in the NBA, out of almost 500 players. The G league is responsible for almost half of those NBA players. Which means the G league produces twice as many NBA players than all the leagues and all the teams in the world combined. There's new management at the Kings and if they ever want to make enough money to pay their players a decent salary so they all don't leave for the EU they need to get better. I applaud them for taking a chance on a young man who every one who has ever crossed paths with him likes him and respects him and wants to be around him. He's not even in the country and he's already put together a pretty good team. Everybody agrees he is wicked smart. Wait till he gets rolling. There will be a lot of converts. I know I can't convince you guys that know way more about Australian basketball than I ever will that I know anything about anything. But the NBA is light years ahead of every other league in the world and the world knows it. Can't blame the Kings for trying to head in that direction. And I think this Weaver fellow is as good a place to start as any. 6 head coaches in the NBA were head coaches in the G league right before they got the gig. Of course they just fired Walton. And don't forget, he's been a Boomer for the last 5 years. Which means he already has a relationship with Australia's best players.

Reply #741306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PDIDDy, you made huge sense regarding video coordinator role. Then you lost me. Of course G league produces more NBA players than other leagues, that's it whole reason for existing!
He hasn't put a good team together himself, were there and don't think he had much to do with Ware signing. And making money to pay players a good wage, they're not selling raffle tickets at front door to pay players, they're one of top spenders already.
You say teams want 3 point shooters yet his team are terrible, isn't that an indictment on him for not developing both players and a system?

Reply #741311 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nobody comes to Australia to get better. They come to Australia when they are too old or not good enough to play in the NBA
Yeah, like Ennis, Daniels, McRae, Bowen, Ferguson...

Reply #741313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You forgot all the busts that would far out number the few who went on with it.

Reply #741316 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But that's true literally everywhere. Most people don't play in the NBA.

Reply #741317 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's why nobody in the NBA wants Creek.

This is where I stopped reading this Pdiddy guy's rants. Creek was signed by two different NBA teams this season, his first season in the US. If you don't have a clue about basketball you shouldn't be posting on a basketball forum.

Reply #741321 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

PDIDDy = Weaver relative.

Reply #741323 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I'm not demeaning him as a "Video Coordinator"
By all accounts at Philadelphia, he headed up a heavy focus on modern analytics.
I'm just saying that to claim he would have coached Casper Ware, is simply wrong.

You're correct about it being the first wrung on the ladder, but that's my point. Time spent on that bottom wrung is not equivalent to time spent as a senior assistant.
As for his time at Philly, have a look at his resignation notice, it still refers to him as Video Coordinator.
Plus his move was to follow his wife, not a promotion per sae.

And lets be honest, the recent King's ownership didn't do very good in picking Gaze.
His mum, and maybe Gaze himself, were the only two people in Australia who didn't know he was a rubbish coach.
It took Kings's management 3 years to figure that out. So you can understand why there is some scepticism.

If the rumours about Nielsen were true, (and his departure suggests some foundation) then Sydney have rocks in their head.
If ever there was a Senior Assistant ready for a Head role, its Matt Nielsen. Plus he's a Penrith boy, Sydney Champion, and favourite son.

Reply #741324 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

And as for his connection with the Boomers (a role he initially got through being mates with Brown)
He obviously was NOT involved significantly in the FIBA games, as he was coaching in the G-League.

I don't know, but logic would suggest his role is as a US based liaison for our NBA Boomers??
A very important role, but not one that would give him great exposure to our NBL Boomers.

But it will be interesting to see how he goes. They are assembling a super squad, their core has been together for a few years now, and at worst he appears to be a knowledgeable analyst and competent coach. Should do ok.

Reply #741325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People will always assume coaching in America is the best. Demopoulos proved that is not the case. Watched a coach Showalter video who was USA under 19 coach and basically said they were going to win just because they had best athletes. Hope he isn't going to come in and think it's all about him, pros will tear him apart, not like g league where you think he would have input to NBA teams how players are and a say in them going up.
End of the day anyone is a step up from Gaze. Got to admire he didn't quit with the mess he made. On paper yet again one of the best in the league, just keep it simple. Ware brings experience and a better fit than Randle, addition by subtraction.

Reply #741329 | Report this post

PDIDDy  
Years ago

You guys really aren't complaining about the coach. Coach got offered a job and he took it. For less money than he could earn in the states. You guys are complaining about the Kings making another poor decision. Seems like they've made a bunch of those in the past. Gaze comes to mind. And I'm saying it might not be such a poor choice. I'm from Spain and we have a saying. "You win on the bus". Easier to get your teammate a good shot than to get your own good shot. That's why they have to like each other. Give up a chance to maybe pad your stats, which is what the G league is all about, to give a teammate a better chance. Make the extra pass. I've never met Coach Weaver, but I like to read. And everything I've read, including all the interviews with the Boomers, the Brooklyn Nets, the Long Island Nets, all the GMs across both leagues say Weaver creates an environment, a culture, where everyone gets along. They all really like each other. Like the Boomers. And I've watched the docu-series that follow him in meetings, before the games, after the games, during practices so I have an advantage that I'm guessing you do not. I'm not trying to convince you guys of anything. I'm patient. Time will tell. I have no dog in this fight. I read up on Weaver hoping he might would come to Spain. Remember, we're the ones who took your Bronze medal in 2016. I route for you guys to suck. But I think the Kings did the right thing in this hire. But I could be wrong. What's the saying that I think applies to some of us on this forum... "Often wrong, never uncertain." As for Creek, I love his game. My understanding is Weaver loves Creek. On the TV show there are scenes where Weaver is asking Creek if after practice Creek would like to spend a couple hours shooting 3's and Weaver would shag balls for him. Imagine, the head coach shagging balls for a player who sucks at the three after practice. Where have you ever seen that before. That's when I started paying attention. They are best mates as you would say. I think one of the reasons Weaver was interested in the job in the first place is the appeal of working with a bunch of Mitch Creeks. But I doubt he will be on an NBA roster next year. I hope I'm wrong because he is everything that is good about basketball. And I hate the 3 point shot. But it's what gets you in the NBA lately. I just like throwing controversial shit out there and read your crazed reactions. Very entertaining. I saw an underdog and decided to defend him. When you start singing his praises, I'll swing the other way.

Reply #741338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#1325 Correct, You have no idea.

"He obviously was NOT involved significantly in the FIBA games, as he was coaching in the G-League."

Check your dates. How many windows clashed with the G League season?

I don't know, but logic would suggest his role is as a US based liaison for our NBA Boomers??

With technology you no longer need to be with team in person to be influential. Will had direct contact with coaches and players during every FIBA window, including trainings.

Reply #741344 | Report this post

PDIDDy  
Years ago

www.aussiehoopla.com episode #123 Coach Weaver (Boomers coach) on Boomers VS USA and NBL finals March 19,2018 interesting 45 min. interview

Reply #741570 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

I like everything the Kings have done so far this season. I like that Paul hired a coach from the NBA a week before he got coach of the year. Had to save the team some money. The next week and his salary surely would have gone up and so would his offers. Seems like by getting to him before the end of their season he was able to beat everyone else to the punch. Smart. I like that the new kid isn't the same old NBL coach. Overweight and still coaching like they did 10 years ago. I like that someone convinced Bogut to return. He surely would have retired rather that come back for his second year with Gaze coaching. I like that they got the best Next Stars player. Probably not better than Ball but without all the baggage of his father and sucking up minutes from guys that we hope are here next year. I do like that the NBL did sign Ball. Think that's good for the League. And probably makes his team an instant success. He can surely play. I'll want to watch all their games. I like that they talked Casper into coming on board. Hugh pickup. I like that I think we now have the best center and the best PG in the league. I like how quick they were able to sign our core locals. I don't think any of them would have returned with Gaze on board. I like how the new coach gives great interviews and says things I have never heard from any coach, much less all our old school NBL coaches. I like that our new coach has direct ties to the Boomers. I like all the new assistant coaches. Solid bunch. I like that they talked Luc into joining the team part time. Are there two bigger stars in the NBL than Bogut and Longley? I like that they brought Moeller back. I like that Paul let Bogut go play with Golden State. Didn't have to. I like all that's happened in the NBL since Paul's opening controversial move of picking coach Weaver instead of Bevo. Seems to have pissed off a lot of people. Bevo's a good coach but I'm not convinced he could have pulled off all the things the new guy has in only his first few months. And anonymous, before you start in on me, you don't get to determine who is well respected. The market does that. And asking if I swallow like you did on that post where someone said something nice about the new coach just makes you look gay. To be honest, I think the Kings would have had a much better season without any coach at all last year. You never hear after any pickup game "Gee, I wish we would have had a coach here yelling at us and telling us how we should play." I think the coach's most important job during a game is to not get a technical and then lose by one. If he just sits there and watches the game like Steve Kerr I'd be happy. Coaches are not suppose to get in the way. Gaze surely did. And I like that in yesterdays interview with Bogut he said in the first two days of camp they already had twice as many team meals together than all of last season. What's up with that. No body in the Kings entire organization didn't see that as being messed up? What team chemistry? And I like how excited everyone in every city is about this years NBL season. Seems pretty balanced. Lots of worldwide attention all of a sudden this year. And Lots of great players and a bunch of great games to go to. Except the USA coming to town. That seems less and less exciting with every NBA player saying "pass." Means a lot less even if the Boomers do beat them. Don't like that. But the last thing I like is if I decide to go, there will be lots of cheap tickets for sale. I especially like how I waited to buy tickets.

Reply #752092 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

I like everything the Kings have done so far this season. I like that Paul hired a coach from the NBA a week before he got coach of the year. Had to save the team some money. The next week and his salary surely would have gone up and so would his offers. Seems like by getting to him before the end of their season he was able to beat everyone else to the punch. Smart. I like that the new kid isn't the same old NBL coach. Overweight and still coaching like they did 10 years ago. I like that someone convinced Bogut to return. He surely would have retired rather that come back for his second year with Gaze coaching. I like that they got the best Next Stars player. Probably not better than Ball but without all the baggage of his father and sucking up minutes from guys that we hope are here next year. I do like that the NBL did sign Ball. Think that's good for the League. And probably makes his team an instant success. He can surely play. I'll want to watch all their games. I like that they talked Casper into coming on board. Hugh pickup. I like that I think we now have the best center and the best PG in the league. I like how quick they were able to sign our core locals. I don't think any of them would have returned with Gaze on board. I like how the new coach gives great interviews and says things I have never heard from any coach, much less all our old school NBL coaches. I like that our new coach has direct ties to the Boomers. I like all the new assistant coaches. Solid bunch. I like that they talked Luc into joining the team part time. Are there two bigger stars in the NBL than Bogut and Longley? I like that they brought Moeller back. I like that Paul let Bogut go play with Golden State. Didn't have to. I like all that's happened in the NBL since Paul's opening controversial move of picking coach Weaver instead of Bevo. Seems to have pissed off a lot of people. Bevo's a good coach but I'm not convinced he could have pulled off all the things the new guy has in only his first few months. And anonymous, before you start in on me, you don't get to determine who is well respected. The market does that. And asking if I swallow like you did on that post where someone said something nice about the new coach just makes you look gay. To be honest, I think the Kings would have had a much better season without any coach at all last year. You never hear after any pickup game "Gee, I wish we would have had a coach here yelling at us and telling us how we should play." I think the coach's most important job during a game is to not get a technical and then lose by one. If he just sits there and watches the game like Steve Kerr I'd be happy. Coaches are not suppose to get in the way. Gaze surely did. And I like that in yesterdays interview with Bogut he said in the first two days of camp they already had twice as many team meals together than all of last season. What's up with that. No body in the Kings entire organization didn't see that as being messed up? What team chemistry? And I like how excited everyone in every city is about this years NBL season. Seems pretty balanced. Lots of worldwide attention all of a sudden this year. And Lots of great players and a bunch of great games to go to. Except the USA coming to town. That seems less and less exciting with every NBA player saying "pass." Means a lot less even if the Boomers do beat them. Don't like that. But the last thing I like is if I decide to go, there will be lots of cheap tickets for sale. I especially like how I waited to buy tickets.

Reply #752093 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Reply #752094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm very glad you’re happy Fred,

I like the way that there talking of building it up from the ground up, no outlandish statements from JVG saying we will make finals in our first year and expect to win it. I like how they look like they are going for team first oriented players.
Early days let’s hope they get bit luck and have a great season, it’s no cup cake league.

Reply #752108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like MOLLER. Who is Hugh Pickup? ;)

Reply #752116 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

WTF?

"I like the way that there talking of building it up from the ground up, no outlandish statements from JVG saying we will make finals in our first year"

Say What again?

If Weaver doesn't make the finals he'll be on the first plane back to Merica.
No pressure. LOL

Reply #752145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will see but Weaver will be given every opportunity to succeed, at least they are not shooting their mouth and are being humble, something that's not a lot around.

Reply #752177 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Do you know what I like Fred? Paragraphs.

Reply #752179 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

Reply #758623 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

Reply #771228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well this makes for interesting reading after last night.

Let's see after game 3, but so far Weaver's lack of adjustments has been embarrassing.

Reply #796911 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

21 and 9. Leads the league

Reply #797055 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Will he weave or will he leave.
Weaver struggling to weave his magic. Kings are too old. In fact crocs - got the Willy wobbles. Crumble violents. Plenty people with egg on faeces. Not pretty site. Glad i am not one. Too smart.

Reply #797057 | Report this post

D70  
Years ago

There are 328.2 million people in the USA. They're saying 152000 Have died from covid-19. That's a little over 4.2 people per 100 thousand. That's a pandemic? And thousands of doctors from all over the world have testified on the record that Hydrochloricquin Plus zinc has cured every patient that they've given it to within 8 to 12 hours. Which is why every world leader and most in the medical field have been on it for months now. And for this you want to ruin the whole world's economy?

Reply #813840 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Read three different stories today all saying Weaver was one of the candidates for the New Orlean Pelicans head coach job. I had heard that he interviewed for that job last week.

Reply #817017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any more information on this, any media release ?

Reply #817056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754