Isaac
Years ago

Sobey plans to sign three-year deal with Brisbane

Hmmm. Quite the stretch of time for Adelaide, going from Creek to this. Had probably the two most dynamic Australian players on the one roster.

Topic #45021 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It happens. A lot of guy's development has been at an extreme level since the current coach got here. Their value grows here and it gets harder and harder to keep them as the next group (Froling, McVeigh and others coming in develop too) develop rapidly and demand more $$$.

Look at the guys that have played under the current 6ers coach early in their career in various programs. Now they are some of the highest earners in the league and they don't all play for him here in Adelaide.

Reply #739705 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's earmarked to be their starting PG which likely now makes Cadee the highest paid back up in the league.

Interesting that they still haven't picked up their option on Bairstow.

Reply #739707 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Finally a reliable backup for Cadee.

Reply #739711 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think Brisbane would be one of the last places I'd go with the current setup.

Gliddon and Cadee already there and Lemanis has shown an affinity for Cadee which we all know about;

Can't help but think that this is part of Sobey's plan to get closer to Lemanis to try and secure a WC spot as a 3rd backup PG/combo guard now that Exum is out of the mix.

Whether you like him or not, you can't deny that Joey is really good at developing talent. He has been a big part in a lot of guys growth.

Reply #739713 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Yet another rebuilding year after not winning a title in forever?

Yeah, nah.

Reply #739735 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I actually dont mind Sobey leaving Adealide as it will end the Sobey at PG experiment for the 36ers which i was never a fan of, this will also force Joey to get a quality import PG which he is usually good at, and he could likely get a better import than Sobey for the money Sobey would have been asking for.

Reply #739739 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

If true, surprised Sobey is en route to Brisbane's hodge podge roster. He's very good but doesn't fill a glaring need, which is currently an attacking/distributing point guard.

I tend to side with MACDUB's view. And least he doesn't soak up an import slot.

Does this mean an end to Gibbo's career?

Also surprised Bairstow's option hasn't been picked up, that's a no-brainer.

Reply #739742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain Bairstow suits the more fast pace the game requires today. He's probably looking for big coin as well.

Reply #739743 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Without Sobey, can Adelaide afford to keep Moore? With a new team in, you'd want to be locking up free-agent locals and then slotting in imports. Sobey and potentially Froling gone starts to get risky.

Reply #739746 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

No...let Moore go. Moore's import slot needs to be a really really good import like Trice or Trimble level.

Would it be an idea to get Gibbo back as a cheap back up to replace Moore's role?

Depending on how Froling goes, we may really need another import big. Dare I say it...the Shawn Long 'type'.

Reply #739753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm okay watching players develop and leave the nest under Joey now. Finding it more satisfying than the thought of a bought Championship in the current entertainment format of the league. I have more respect for a club thats like a good parent who does a good just gwrting on with the job of raising their kids and when they want to go just give them a pat on their back and wave good bye and let them go out with their big boys pants on and really rock em out there in the big wide basketball world. A parent doesn’t need accolades or to be liked, and they usually get the love and respect many years on when their kids reflect on their lifes successes and how they’ve handled the lows. I think even Hodgson in years to come if he is honest will look back and go Yep, Joey started this for me and I get it now. Enjoy watching the talent grow people, success is fleeting but seeing the talent doing well elsewhere is pretty cool.

Reply #739761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I'm looking forward to Joey getting a few fresh players and ramming the tempo up more. Hopefully one or two that play good D.

Reply #739767 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Finally a reliable backup for Cadee.

Oh, that is gold...

Reply #739768 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Finding it more satisfying than the thought of a bought Championship in the current entertainment format of the league.

Are you suggesting you are OK with the Sixers not winning or in fact chasing a Championship for the foreseeable future?

Just mediocre is OK by you as long as you see our players go elsewhere?

Reply #739772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, if they win one great but fact is they have a low budget, they would have had a championship if Childress wasn't injured and thats just bad luck and lack of funds to give them the depth to carry that. Joeys had them at finals every year bar 2 so good innings and the teams have punched above their weight on a bidget comparatively to other teams budgets and coaches but look at the success of individuals. Has other winning teams had that with a championship outside of imports. Nope. Give Joey the equivalent budget and this year at the Ent Centre near a transport hub, semi central venue with proper clubs, pubs and food in and around then he could be pulling a few championships in easy. In the mean time he is feeding good ballers to the NBL, OS and Boomers. Thats something and his games are defintiely fun even in a loss. All good.

Reply #739785 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Casper Ware is going to sign a 2 year deal worth 800K a season with Adelaide.

Reply #739789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and where did you hear this Trav...or you just making it up?

Reply #739845 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Brisbane just don't seem to be able to plan? They just keep signing whoever's available.

Sobey is a great pickup. One of the best Local guards, and undoubtedly the absolute pick of the FA crop. SEM should be kicking themselves.

But he's a crap fit for Brisbane. Yes, if they hadn't signed Gliddon last year, and if they'd signed an actual decent PG instead of Spuddee, and/or if Spuddee had lost the incriminated pictures he has of Lemanis.

Let's face it, Sobey will come out to drive to the first game, and find Gliddon has slashed his tyres

Surely at this point Gibson must be gone?

Reply #739862 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I think Adelaide are going to be mediocre at best in 2019/20.

Reply #739890 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I think Adelaide are going to be mediocre at best in 2019/20.

Reply #739891 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

And it's official...Sobey One Kenobi gone.

https://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/nathan-sobey-leaves-adelaide-36ers-after-five-years/news-story/7cdbbfd12151e707976d53102da127ee

Reply #740137 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754