Now a free agent. Where to?

Topic #45026 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Very very interesting.

Reply #739747 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

The Bullets take imports from the Taipans so I'd like to see him end up in Cairns

Reply #739749 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cairns expected to re-sign Jawai though.

Reply #739750 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Hopefully Illawarra

Reply #739751 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

This is odd, quality bigs like Bairstow don't grow on trees.

Even if they got Lamar Patterson back the front court right now is Lamar, Mika and Matty, unless they have a plan for a gun import.

Reply #739752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TeRangi as well. Couple young bench fives as well.

Reply #739756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jump on it Adelaide. And Bairstow you know that players that go via Adelaide achieve great success elsewhere. Could be just what you need to re kick start your career after all your injury woes and that coaching ! They should be called Adelaide Launch Boot Camp !

Reply #739757 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Wherever he goes, he will go there very slowly.

Reply #739758 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Interesting decision - can those who watch him every game comment on why the Bullets would let him walk? Is it more a money thing? Or is he just too slow defensively or something?

Reply #739759 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Is this a joke?

Bear was solid last season. Yeah he's a slow dude, but he was reliable for a good 20-25 minutes.

Legit Brisbane product too.

Bullets making it harder for locals to support them.

Reply #739760 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Where's Jick?

Reply #739763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please, he's slow got dodgey knees, still a reasonable jump shot but injuries crueled him, can’t see to many sides chasing him, certainly not Adelaide with their fast paced game.

Reply #739765 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Bairstow showed glimpses this season of his best form but there was a few to many games where in clutch situations he fumbled the ball ( that one game where he missed a wide open layup from inside the circle to win the game for the Bullets)

As a Bullets fan I am sad to see him go but excited at the possibility of a gun import being brought in!

Reply #739766 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

He could be worth a look for Adelaide. They could take a punt that he will be better in his second season after surgery. Would depend on how much he wants to be paid though and also if he would be satisfied competing for minutes with Froling?

Reply #739769 | Report this post

Agent Oso  
Years ago

Did t hey say they are not resigning him? or that they are just not taking up the team option? Might be he is indeed coming back - just on a different payscale that the option was set at?

Reply #739773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide would be up and back while Bairstow would still be in the key. I don't see it but stranger things have happened.

Reply #739774 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm eagerly awaiting special comments from our resident expert Jick.

Reply #739779 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wherever he goes, he will go there very slowly.

With a shirt under his singlet.

Reply #739780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide does have a slow game as part fontof their game plan, we just don't see it much, its intermittent and doesn’t need that much speed on the split line break, screen and trail. He’ll
be useful, enjoy the game again and maybe its Lemanis thats slow ! And as pointed out post surgery and Adelaides recovery and nutrition he will improve his fitness pretty quickly. And Joey likes a challenge to say stick it to coaches who can’t develop talent. I like him, always been a fan but just not at Brissy. Jack and the lads would have him smiling again in no time

Reply #739783 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

His conditioning was really the only thing holding him back for most of 2018-19. Great for 15-20 mins then drops off. A healthy offseason staying in shape and improving his cardio and he could be one of the top locals in the comp. Kind of wondering (hoping?) if the Kings are looking at him. I think Bogut/Bairstow can work with someone like Kennedy at the 3 spot who can swing down to the 4 spot as well.

Reply #739784 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Jick's word is THE word on all things Bairstow

Reply #739803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville looking at legal avenues to get him to suit up this season, bsa will probably say yes.

Reply #739806 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Adelaide would be up and back while Bairstow would still be in the key. I don't see it but stranger things have happened."

You're living in the past anonymous. The Sixers have lost most of their speed with Creek, Childress and now Sobey all moving on.

Given that the Sixers only have one import slot left and will probably use it on a point guard, Bairstow might be the only option out there for the Sixers to try to bolster their rebounding and interior defence. I’d much rather start a fully fit Bairstow next to DJ than Wiley.

Reply #739807 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Come to Cairns Cam!!

Reply #739810 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

So Brisbane seems to have elite scoring guards but now no big who can create their own shot or who has any meaningful jump shot or post moves.

Reply #739818 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd enjoy seeing him as Angus Brandt's replacement in Perth, 15-20 minutes will be good enough with back ups in Vague, Jervis and Kay.

But I'd be happy for him to join Nate up in Cairns although they may fill the key way too much just by themselves

Reply #739821 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Did t hey say they are not resigning him? or that they are just not taking up the team option? Might be he is indeed coming back - just on a different payscale that the option was set at?
This is my thought. When did he sign this contract? Before or after his injury?

Reply #739822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My feel is Brisbane will bring him back, but at a lower price.

Reply #739825 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

I didn't see this thread before, possibly because I was too angry when I heard the news.

As I said in another thread though: F Brisbane for doing this. It's bad karma and as Ben says above, an absolute joke. Who do the Bullets think they are?? Hope he goes to another team and destroys them.

Reply #739837 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

When did he sign this contract? Before or after his injury?

Last off-season which was after all his injuries so having not played for 18 months I couldn't imagine his asking price would've been that high.

Reply #739838 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Meh, seems to be a bit of this going on. Allows agents to test the waters.
Since this contract was apparently signed when he was injured and hadn't played for two seasons, it may have been for not much. Who knows...

Look, at Perth you have Damo, Wagstaff, Jervis, and Steindl all "Free Agents". Nobody's suggesting the Cats aren't in serious talks with most of those guys. But they're not rushing to lock them in.
As we have seen in the past, even having a contract isn't an impediment if the club agrees. I guess the teams are run by coaches and not lawyers.

There's really no point Brissy locking Bairstow in with an option, if say SEM comes along with a better offer.

I was never completely clear on this, but wasn't that the problem with Creek? Adelaide (claimed to have) exercise their option, but Creek felt he was worth more so went to Europe (and then NBA)?

Is Bairstow's brother still a DP?

Reply #739848 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Classic Jick, that's what we wanted to see

Reply #739866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow said he was surprised by this decision and is considering whether he wants to play overseas

Reply #739869 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Smh man this is disgusting! I'll be endeavouring to get a message to the big fella to let him know all true basketball fans support him.

Cameron Bairstow surprised at Bullets decision not to take his option

Brayden Heslehurst, South-East Advertiser

March 30, 2019 12:03pm

Cameron Bairstow has been left shocked and surprised after the Brisbane Bullets decided not to extend his contract for another season.

The Bullets had a club option on the former NBA power forward's contract for next season but informed him during the week they would not be taking it, making Bairstow a free agent.

Brisbane are reportedly in pursuit of free agent guard Nathan Sobey as well as wanting to re-sign star import Lamar Patterson with general manager Richard Clarke telling the Courier Mail the club could not commit to Bairstow and teammate Adam Gibson at this point.

In his return to the court after more than 18 months out with a knee injury, Bairstow averaged 11.5 points and 5.7 rebounds per game during the 2018-19 season and shot the ball at 45 per cent from beyond the arc to help the Bullets reach the playoffs.

There is still the possibility of negotiating a new contract during the free agency period, which starts Monday, but Bairstow all but ruled out returning to the club.

"It (the decision) was a little surprising as I thought the team was heading in the right direction and that my play had continued to trend upward as the season progressed," Bairstow said.

“But they are keen on a few free agents and prioritised going after them, which is part of the business.”

Leaving the Bullets is not easy for Bairstow, who grew up in Brisbane and played for the Brisbane Capitals and South West Metro Pirates as well as attending Churchie.

“Obviously I’m very passionate about Brisbane basketball and always will be so just having the team back is awesome,” Bairstow said.

“Playing for Brisbane was a dream come true as a kid that grew up here and I hope that they can continue the success we have had this season and continue to grow basketball in Brisbane.”

Reply #739874 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Greg Davis

DISAPPOINTED and surprised.

That was Cameron Bairstow's reaction to the Brisbane Bullets declining the option with his contract to catapult the Rio Olympian and former Chicago Bulls forward onto the NBL’s free agency list.

But Bairstow, 28, is philosophical about being the victim of a salary cap squeeze at the club he supported growing up in Brisbane.

After being part of the cut and thrust of the NBA, he knows that being on the wrong side of business decisions is par for the course as a professional basketballer.

Cam Bairstow at Brisbane Bullets training last season.

With Brisbane pursuing star import Lamar Patterson again and the Bullets reportedly in the box seat to snare free agent Nathan Sobey, both Bairstow and Adam Gibson were not immediately offered contract extensions.

"As you progress in your career, you realise it’s a business. That’s what we sign up for,’’ Bairstow told the Sunday Mail.

“It’s disappointing when it doesn’t work out with the team you are at and the team you enjoyed being a part of.

“But I get that teams are trying to win as many games as possible. I get that it is a bit of a jigsaw that they are trying to fit together as best they can.

“I was still surprised. I thought the team and myself took a good step forward last season and I was looking forward to coming back even better next season as I continue to get my body right.

“But they were not willing to commit right now with the money they have available. They are going after some players in free agency so others fall by the wayside, I suppose.

“It’s kind of tough but it’s a business and you move on

Bairstow - who averaged 11.8 points, 5.7 rebounds and 1.4 assists per game last season when the Bullets made the play-offs – is assessing his options which include staying in the NBL or heading to Europe.

Reply #739877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just the kind of player Joey can take on and make it work to prove a point..

Reply #739885 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754