Some things about the NZNBL:
- Most teams will pay their imports a sum and a couple local players. Usually the bench is receiving stipend/expense claims rather than a salary.
- There isn't a salary cap per se - teams are restricted to their basketball associations and sponsorship.
- The Saints' have the cash and often run the league admin. Owner is not the basketball association, and the private entity pays the top-8/9 (rumours are that Webster or Abercrombie may join the team mid-season, which is why they only have 7 paid players).
- Normally the NZNBL gets American imports but there's been a turn to have Australian talent. Partly because of fans knowing who the Aussie players are, partly because of performance reliability. Kay coming to Wellington is likely tied to Henare's coaching (known across Asian confederate as top-notch)
- There's disparity in the league. Right now, four teams look like the obvious Final Four (Saints, Sharks, Huskies and Hawks) and there are some teams that'll be in to develop players and maybe get 2-3 wins.