Anonymous
Years ago

Nick Kay to NZ NBL

Nick Kay has signed with the Wellington Saints, joining fellow (now former) Wildcat Sunday Dech.

Kay previously played in New Zealand for the Southland Sharks in 2016 and 2017.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/111895694/wellington-saints-sign-inform-australian-boomer-nick-kay-for-nz-nbl-season

Topic #45094 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Is NZ NBL getting stronger?

I know last year you had Brandt, Pledger, some good imports etc

Buy McCarron and Kay have both just signed. An All NBL 1st team championship winner, and a starter on the losing grand finalist.

I don't think there's been too many Aussies with those credentials in NZNBL before?

Reply #740881 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah I know Kay and McCarron both played there before but they've both improved over the last 2 years

Reply #740882 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

They're regarded as imports so have to be reasonably good

Reply #740883 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm surprised the Wildcats would allow this with a player the calibre of Kay. What if he suffers a serious injury (e.g. ACL etc) and misses the next NBL season? That could completely derail an NBL program.

Reply #740884 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

From an injury perspective, it doesn't much matter whether he's playing in the BF league, or in Europe.
I don't know exactly how it works, but there's obviously a fair bit of flexibility when it comes to playing in the off season.

And NBL teams don't really have enough clout to say no. We're not the NBA.

Reply #740888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe if they paid their players for a YEAR instead of part of a year you could stop that. The money on offer in the NZBL is extremely good.

Reply #740890 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

They cant be imports daz 2.0 or the whole sout southern huskies couldn't play.

Reply #740893 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

What's the ballpark salary for the better players in NZNBL?

Reply #740898 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Was about to ask the same question as Ben.

Reply #740899 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

From an injury perspective I think it does make a bit of a difference. I mean, if I were Perth I'd prefer Kay be playing in a bigger league against better players as far as his own development goes, rather than cardio for cash in the NZBL. From a season timing and proximity to home point of view though, it makes sense for Kay.

Reply #740902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that surprise me to that he's not playing in Europe

Reply #740904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some things about the NZNBL:
- Most teams will pay their imports a sum and a couple local players. Usually the bench is receiving stipend/expense claims rather than a salary.
- There isn't a salary cap per se - teams are restricted to their basketball associations and sponsorship.
- The Saints' have the cash and often run the league admin. Owner is not the basketball association, and the private entity pays the top-8/9 (rumours are that Webster or Abercrombie may join the team mid-season, which is why they only have 7 paid players).
- Normally the NZNBL gets American imports but there's been a turn to have Australian talent. Partly because of fans knowing who the Aussie players are, partly because of performance reliability. Kay coming to Wellington is likely tied to Henare's coaching (known across Asian confederate as top-notch)
- There's disparity in the league. Right now, four teams look like the obvious Final Four (Saints, Sharks, Huskies and Hawks) and there are some teams that'll be in to develop players and maybe get 2-3 wins.

Reply #740943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giant looking strong, huskies will be fifth or sixth.

Reply #740945 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754