LC
Years ago

2019 National Junior Classic

128 teams have accepted invitations to compete for National Club Champion status across Under 12, 14, 16 and 18 divisions for both boys and girls, each boasting a field of 16 teams.

VIC, SA, NSW and ACT are all well represented, with two teams from NZ and none from QLD, WA, TAS or NT.

2019 National Junior Classic field set for Queens Birthday weekend

Forestville were the only non-VIC team to win in 2018. Which teams are most likely to prevent a VIC clean sweep in 2019?

Topic #45279 | Report this topic

Red84  
Years ago

Regarding the girls division, of which i have witnessed games over several years, the biggest advantage i see vic metro teams have over SA and NSW counterparts lies in superior structures and set ups. VicM coaches emphasize ball security, working hard off the ball and good decision making. I have seen some vic metro club players with fantastic stats playing for their club, playing within well thought out systems, yet look very ordinary when on rep duties for vicC, where the coaching can often be 2nd rate.

Reply #745443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red,
Interesting observation.
I too have witnessed the girls group over a long time. The interstate girls get smashed from U12 and U14, are more competitive in U16 and have won the last 2 in U18. I think that is because the interstate clubs focus on skills early, and by the time they get to U18 where the tall Vic girls at U12 are not so tall, the playing field is a lot more even.
As for many of, but not all of the VicC girls. They have been fairly competitive at nationals. And I don't blame the girls for getting picked at the higher levels. But I blame the VC influences at that level that deny more deserving athletes of positions in those institutes and teams. Of course, once you get into said institution, you can’t not be selected for higher duties can you, even though there are several more deserving athletes running around at club level in the various states. Got some height measuring issues in the country region also.
Anyway, that’s another discussion.
Good luck to all teams on the long weekend.

Reply #745485 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Dear Anon#485
I have heard the line you present here, that the interstaters tend to focus on skills early, which makes their teams more competitive at the u16 and u18 groups. But regular service sees vic teams dominate at these age groups. And vicm players dominate national selection. The skills argument is a cop out used by perpetual coaches to explain away why their teams can't perform at the top level year after year.These coaches need to be much humbler about their own ability, and the effectiveness if the methods they use. They need to learn from weaknesses exposed by heat of competition. And stop blaming the kids for all of the shortcomings in team performance.

Reply #745494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red,
Don't disagree with what you say re coaches. Have seen and heard it more and more, and blame the kids which is the sad part. Why the high level development managers in this sport fall for it time after time is even sadder. Are we that short of quality coaches that the same get it year after year? It may truely be the case.
The Vics will dominate nationals for ever. Pure depth of talent volume wise will always win. They don’t always have it easy, but will win far more than they will ever lose. A credit to the domestic competitions that get these kids on the court, and develop them to what we see.
The Classics is a good leveller though. Teams like Manly, Sturt and Forestville being more than competitive in the last few years at 18s (girls that is). I think West Adelaide made the Eltham final this year. These teams are generally stacked - almost state teams. Attracting the girls to successful programs in their individual states. The Vic teams more diluted at this age. It does make for a great tournament though. Not sure the interstate teams will be up there this year though. Will soon find out.

Reply #745507 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:49 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754