Anon
Years ago

Breakers "Global News Announcement" - Signed RJ Hamptom

https://twitter.com/NBL_News/status/1133248942219546624

Word is that the Breakers have signed 2020 Top 5 NBA Drat Pick, RJ Hampton. Topic that has been receiving some attention on twitter in the last couple of hours. Rumour has been further fueled by both Loeliger and Matty Walsh on Instagram, liking his recent post about his upcoming decision very soon.

Topic #45283 | Report this topic

BiasedBreakersFan  
Years ago

Matt Walsh and Andrew Price (Breakers analytics guy) both followed him on Twitter earlier this week and US College Basketball insiders are expecting him to go overseas. He'll announce where he'll be playing on ESPN in about an hour.

Reply #745495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at it now it makes so much sense, how has his name not come up previously in the last 24hrs lol.

I've switched over to ESPN in anticipation. Hope this is true.

Reply #745498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they've signed an 18 year old in a men's league. Not a draft pick but the 5th ranked high school player. A good pick up in next stars or whatever but don't expect him to contribute much. Kind of redefines the global news story, imagine if they got a contributor.

Reply #745499 | Report this post

BiasedBreakersFan  
Years ago

Since he's announcing it on ESPN I think it counts as a global news announcement.

Reply #745500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's definitely global. He's a 5 start recruit and one of the top projected picks. Twitter is full of americans and college fans hoping he is about to announce their college as his choice, will be massive if its NZ.

Reply #745502 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Just watching him on get up on ESPN now.

Reply #745504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Confirmed. Massive news

Reply #745505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eh, Ferguson and Bowen were nothing special, this will be another overhyped signing

Reply #745506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of you don't have a clue how good this guy is. He could legit go #1 in 2020

Reply #745508 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If they do get Hampton as a next star signing being so highly rated in the U.S then you would expect alot more from him than Ferguson or Bowen.
Great for the Breakers and NBL.

Reply #745509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"eh, Ferguson and Bowen were nothing special, this will be another overhyped signing"

Lmao, this is way bigger than those 2

Reply #745510 | Report this post

Random Anon  
Years ago

I'm so excited that I am jitzing in my pants,

So therefore anybody that doesn't agree with me is obviously a moron.

Reply #745511 | Report this post

BiasedBreakersFan  
Years ago

Hampton is a big step up from Ferguson and Bowen. Both of those guys were really athletic, but also super raw. Even still they were both able to be serviceable role players.

Hampton looks like he's ready to contribute right away and has skills that will translate immediately.

Reply #745513 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Will he start for the Breakers?

If this is the caliber of next stars coming this upcoming season then I'm excited to see him and others

Reply #745515 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Global" might be stretching it a little, but this is definitely a HUGE signing.

People that follow this kind of thing have been hanging out waiting for this guy to commit to a College for next year, instead he is coming to NZ.

I don't know if he is coming under the Next Stars program, but this is precisely what it was set up to achieve. No, he won't perform at the level of a prime import, but he's not expected to. As a "Next Star" this is as good as it gets.

Look, jury is still out on whether this program will work. If he's the only one to come this season, then it starts to look like it needs a retune. But for the moment it looks like we're off to a good start.

On the other hand, if he's not a Next Star, just a regular import, then yes he will be a boy amongst men. But even so, not every team can fit 3 prime imports, so as a 3rd import in lieu of a local, he could still be good value.

And either way, this certainly keeps our league on the map.

Reply #745516 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Haven't followed previous Hampton chatter. Cool he’s coming here, but why not college? Can’t obtain the grades?

Reply #745518 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Bizarre that the Breakers posted this on their FB 10 mins ago, making it 2.26am NZ time....

Reply #745520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Haven't followed previous Hampton chatter. Cool he's coming here, but why not college? Can’t obtain the grades?"

He had super high grades, could have gone to any college. Just wanted to turn pro and felt this was best for him.

Reply #745521 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Although it did coincide with the announcement on 'Get Up' so that would be why. Hahah

Reply #745522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The next stars program is outside of the salary cap right? So this is basically a 4th import?

Do the NBL help pay his wages? I feel like I've heard that's been the case with the previous two guys.

Either way, it sure sounds like NZ will be expecting him to be their best player. A great option for the kid considering Ferguson went in the 1st round and likely Bowen too, and they weren't exactly studs here.

Reply #745524 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Next Stars players have their contracts paid for by the NBL and don't count as either an import or as a rostered player.

Reply #745526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think he'll enjoy playing in front of 2000 people in the Gong & Cairns? The American dream if there ever was one.

Reply #745527 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ESPN player announcement and it involves NBL? Nice exposure.

Loving the spelling in topic titles of late.

Reply #745529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When are they changing the name nz breakers to Auckland breakers?
Wellington Saints should be the next team in...

Reply #745531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-WtFYIidyUM

Reply #745532 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

That was a tremendous video, really seemed like a level headed young man and good to see them give him and the league their props

Reply #745534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amazing signing!!!

Reply #745535 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Will he wear number 14? That's the big question!!

Reply #745537 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

If he is part of the Next Stars "program", it shows that, yet again, there will be very little transparency in that next season.

Reply #745542 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Yep it is part of the Next Stars program. The league will pay his salary which, if i recall correctly, is a flat $100KAUD (whatever that translates to in NZD).

Reply #745544 | Report this post

Blitz1984  
Years ago

Yeah I wonder what he would be paid, Mike Schmitz saying in an interview he understands he could be getting paid 500K I was like LOL!! Bullshit

Reply #745545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness he went to NZ and not Adelaide. Can you imagine? They'd try to hold whatever team drafts him hostage then you'd have the deluded supporters all claiming that Joey made him a top 5 pick.. Joey develops players.. He would be nothing without Joey.. Joey found him.. It is exciting for the league.

Reply #745547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah I wonder what he would be paid, Mike Schmitz saying in an interview he understands he could be getting paid 500K I was like LOL!! Bullshit"

He could actually be on close to that by the time you include the next stars payment, a payment from NZ and then sponsorships in the deal. Plus a house to live in, car, etc. I think Ferguson was on like over $400k from memory?

Reply #745549 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"if i recall correctly, is a flat $100KAUD (whatever that translates to in NZD)."

About $105k NZD.

or in Auckland currency, about 2 weeks rent, 1 meal out and petrol for a 30km round trip ;)

Reply #745550 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Yeah I wonder what he would be paid, Mike Schmitz saying in an interview he understands he could be getting paid 500K I was like LOL!! Bullshit"

$500k wouldn't be far of the mark to be honest.

I don't think he would come here for a budget $150k type deal all up. He can easily command $500k given his marketability etc.

Reply #745552 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"$500k wouldn't be far of the mark to be honest.

I don't think he would come here for a budget $150k type deal all up. He can easily command $500k given his marketability etc."

Could he get $150k from NZ but $350k odd from a shoe company. Wasn't that similar to the deal Ferguson got

Reply #745555 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

I understand that the NBL pays part and the club pays part. May be $500k though if the shoe deal comes with it (in the same way we look at Mudiay in China).

The question now is what role he'll have. I presume he'll start at Point - there's no way we're hiring another point guard to add to Ili and Weeks. We'll get two imports (can't see us having 3 now); one at the 5 spot and one presumably on the wing to move Abercrombie to the bench. Then there's the question of the last local - rumours it could be Ethan Rusbatch, but is Jack Salt still in the mix?

Import* / Loe
Delany / Ngatai / ???
Import* / Abercrombie
Webster / Weeks / ???
Hampton* / Ili

Reply #745556 | Report this post

Blitz1984  
Years ago

Yeah I get that but from the way Mike was talking that would be his salary as he then went on to say his shoe deal, sponsorship would be on top of that. Would NZ be paying him as the league is paying his salary or is the 100k an incentive to come out here then topped up with his wage?

Reply #745557 | Report this post

Timmah  
Years ago

Big news.

A lot of hate and saltiness around these types of forums, but jesus since LK has taken over the NBL is just going from strength to strength.

Reply #745559 | Report this post

Blitz1984  
Years ago

Sorry just saw the other comments regarding the payments

Reply #745560 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"since LK has taken over the NBL is just going from strength to strength."

What strength is that? All I see is only the rich teams (Perth, United and Sydney) will win now. The rest have no chance. The only hope other teams fans can have is that their team is competitive. That is not the type of league I want to see.

Reply #745563 | Report this post

Timmah  
Years ago

Whinge whinge whinge. He's building a successful product on a national and international level. There are challenges in this, including some teams are playing out of very small markets.

You can whinge about parity and competitiveness, but not that long ago all teams and the entire league was at risk of financial implosions, no one in the media cared about the league on a local level let alone what we're getting now, and signings of this level, or playing NBA teams, or tv deals, or players going from NBL to NBA, or USA and Canada touring australia, or college prospects and lottery picks coming here, or etc etc etc I don't think I need to go on.

So yeah. Whinge whinge whinge.

Reply #745564 | Report this post

Timmah  
Years ago

And name a league that doesn't have the issues of smaller teams competing with the big dogs?

Reply #745566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah lets keep the standard of the league shit so teams like hawks and cairns can stick around a little longer

Reply #745568 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Ferguson wasn't a Next Stars player, Bowen was the first.

Reply #745569 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Great signing for the Breakers and the NBL, hopefully he succeeds and still goes top 5 in the NBA draft so he won't be the first 5 star recruit heading to the league.

Reply #745570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if he has googled New Zealand, could be in for a shock

Reply #745571 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Wasn't the Next Stars program going to be all players getting 100k and then the league assigning them to a team? That doesn't look like what this is. They might be calling it "Next Stars" but if the Breakers are paying him top import money, he's just a regular import.

Again, there is a distinct lack of transparency on this "program".

Reply #745572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems pretty certain that Adam Silver/NBA will be lowering the NBA age limit, so this season could easily be the last that the 'next stars' program is even an option. If you combine that with G-League salaries increasing, it's probably a good idea for the NBL to go all in while they still can.

I wonder how many of these players the league could support? There could be interest from other high school kids after this news.

Reply #745573 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Can imagine the bitching on here if he went to Sydney or Perth lol.
I'm glad he hasn't gone to Adelaide, they are stacked in the backcourt anyway.

Reply #745575 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"I wonder if he has googled New Zealand, could be in for a shock"

Maybe if he was going to a place other than Auckland. Auckland is just like any other major city of the world these days albeit smaller (and probably a lot more expensive).

If he was going to Invercargill to play for the Southland Sharks I would agree with you though.

Reply #745578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently he turned down an offer of $1mil in china

Reply #745581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK certainly saving basketball..in Victoria.

Reply #745583 | Report this post

Timmah  
Years ago

^^^ Good thread to post that in anon...

NZ signing one of the best prospects the leagues ever seen, garnering international attention

Reply #745584 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"I'm glad he hasn't gone to Adelaide, they are stacked in the backcourt anyway."

Warmest regards
Mrs Teys

Comedy gold HW.

Reply #745587 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I'm glad he hasn't gone to Adelaide, they are stacked in the backcourt anyway.

Stacked......with Teys, White and Moore.

I think we better re-assess the word stacked.

Reply #745594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank goodness he went to NZ and not Adelaide. Can you imagine? They'd try to hold whatever team drafts him hostage then you'd have the deluded supporters all claiming that Joey made him a top 5 pick.. Joey develops players.. He would be nothing without Joey.. Joey found him..

It is exciting for the league. More NBA scouts, more eyes on us. All positives.

Reply #745596 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

All those scouts at Breaker games means Rob Loe has a chance of forming the 4th component of the "Quad-Dirk".

RJ Hampton has a similar body shape to Dante Exum; long and wiry and deceptively agile. RJ appears to have a quicker release on his jumpshot and maybe slightly quicker foot speed.

Reply #745607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I understand that the NBL pays part and the club pays part. May be $500k though if the shoe deal comes with it (in the same way we look at Mudiay in China)."

Why do people just make shit up, then say "I understand" when they clearly have no fucking clue???
The ultimate irony being that they refuse to believe what has already been clearly explained in the thread, because they assume that everybody else is also talking out their ass.

Next Stars are paid for by the league. It is a flat $100k.
Although in the context it was announced, I was never sure if it was AUD or USD.
The club pays nothing.
However, part of the attraction is that having turned pro, they are now free to accept endorsements and sponsorships.
The league helps with the recruitment, but ultimately the kids and clubs get to choose each other.

One thing I have never been 100% clear on is if a "local" business wants to sponsor a player directly, whether that counts against the soft cap or how that would work for a Next Star. But certainly global endorsements, from apparel brands would be open slather.
Keep in mind that these companies are extremely eager to get these hot prospect kids signed up early.

And this is all predicated on him being a Next Star. It's possible he was signed as an import.

Reply #745621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The American commentators were clearly talking five hundred G or more, how that's made up I’ve got no idea. So to accuse people of making shit up, go to the nbl site and watch the interviews.

Reply #745624 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Who cares what American commentators say they wouldn't know anything about the NBL?

It's $100K AUD flat.

The Australian National Basketball League is offering "Next stars" contracts that guarantee about $78,000 U.S. gross. The NBA's minor league affiliate is offering Select Contracts with a $125,000 salary.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/05/28/highly-touted-2020-nba-draft-prospect-r-j-hampton-to-play-in-australia/

Reply #745627 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

You're making an assumption that because they've been referring to him as a "Next Star" that all of those above conditions apply. The lack of transparency in this "program" suggests that's a bold assumption.

Reply #745653 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cram, you should read things first before making bold assumptions.

US teen sensation RJ Hampton will join the New Zealand Breakers as part of the NBL Next Stars program.

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/nbl-unveils-its-next-star-in-rj-hampton

Reply #745661 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I never doubted that they are claiming he's part of the Next Stars program. Its in their best interests to say that he is to show off what a success their program is (despite the obvious fact that last year, it was a dismal failure).

What I'm doubtful of, is that they've stuck to the conditions that they claim to have applied to the Next Stars program. I think its unlikely.

I think the more likely explanation is that the Breakers paid well over the 100k to get him. The secrecy around the program means this will likely never be confirmed though.

Reply #745662 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Breakers didn't pay anything to get him enough of your conspiracy theory nonsense.

Reply #745669 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

"I never doubted that they are claiming he's part of the Next Stars program. Its in their best interests to say that he is to show off what a success their program is (despite the obvious fact that last year, it was a dismal failure). "

The kid has improved his chances of being drafted and was a serviceable role player on a playoff team. That's a funny looking 'dismal failure' there.

Reply #745671 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Food for thought, I wasn't talking about Bowen, I was talking about the "program" which comprised of exactly one player, with no transparency on how that one player ended up on one of the most stacked teams in the comp while a team like Cairns struggled to put a competitive team on the floor. That is a failure.

Zodiac, it isn't a conspiracy theory, its just lack of transparency. Why is he at the Breakers then? Were other clubs given the option to take him instead? Again, Cairns could REALLY use him.

Reply #745676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one wants to play in Cairns

Reply #745677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bowen had both his parents out here with him, in paid accommodation plus they went to every game and most kings members no this. There is more than a 100g there already, some people are very believing. Who paid the total cost who knows but it wasn't the Bowen’s. Hope he gets drafted.

Reply #745680 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure Bowen's mum only came out here to visit at Christmas as the commentators made a big deal of her being at that Kings home game around Christmas time.

Reply #745684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw at the preseason, her and her partner went to every game home and away, guaranteed, she was quite sociable.

Reply #745686 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:36 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754