Jetskii
Years ago

Southern Huskies NBL Bid

Any update on whether there's even a chance the Southern Huskies will join the Australian NBL in the near future ?

I haven’t heard anything recently and I think they have a really good brand and is the best chance for Tasmania to have an NBL team.

Topic #45310 | Report this topic

Banditos Fan  
Years ago

Perth Bandits making it first.

Reply #746085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Struggling, bit more could come out in a week or so. Hope they haven't bit off more than they can chew re having to run three teams.

Reply #746091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies 10, Canberra and Wellington 11 and 12.

Reply #746115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical of the NBL. If the Perff Bandits are a serious bidder why hasn't the NBL communicated that? The only thing that we really know is that LK will admit the Phoenix simply because of the money. All the hoops that everyone else has to go thru to get that licence weren't applicable for the Phoenix.

Reply #746117 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

10 will be out of Tasmania but highly unlikely to be the Huskies. LK will be the major stakeholder with the government, BTAS and a couple of financial contributors.

Reply #746119 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

have heard the same Paul....pity all the stakeholders couldn't play nicely together. realise that is naive

Reply #746170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah no one will ever trust Bartlett again. Yet LK may. What a joke.

Reply #746194 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Trust BTAS anon?

Reply #746196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bartlett will be the head of the franchise, huskies will probably play out nz, but I'm hearing problems with the money.

Reply #746217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTAS weren't the problem. 4 teams playing in the NBL1 under the same rules that Bartlett rejected.

Reply #746242 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There was apparently an abc report a few nights ago that suggested the huskies are in financial strife..did anyone see it?

Reply #746246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the word, that’s why LK didn’t commit it seams. Easy to talk about money, but you have to produce it.

Reply #746251 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

anon 242 ....4 teams playing under NBL1 is Bartlett's fault or do you see it as a positive?

What do you see the role of BTAS?

Larry has been down here regularly over the last couple of months there will be movement ....how it is structured is unclear at this stage

Reply #746275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 teams playing under the NBL1 banner is what was always going to be the outcome. Bartlett said it wouldn't work and it was simply a battle of ego's. He shut the club and walked away.

Reply #746282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a smart move by Bartlett because huskies well behind in there payments. I hope this doesn't all go to shit, it be an absolute shit fight for Tasmanian basketball.

Reply #746283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what does Barlett have to offer other than money?
He's alienated all the chargers fans for ever. Has no impact at all with the local community now and that won't change in a hurry. Remember Barlett shat on all the basketball cummunities in the South and alienated BTAS as well. BTAS will still have an input into an NBL team entry.

Reply #746296 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon 296 - do you work for BTAS? Some righteous calls on Bartlett. I am part of the bball community in the South and totally disagree with you.

I will never forget when the Chargers set up a youth academy, BTAS told them they could not do so as it was not in their scope ......days later they criticised the Chargers for not doing anything for youth in the south of the state. Could not win.

Seriously do not think Chargers fans are naive enough to believe that the state of basketball in the south is all down to Bartlett. BTAS have a bit to do with it '

Reply #746306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have nothing to do with BTAS. The Chargers have always done what they wanted to do. The camps included. I fail to see why Barlett would throw the baby out with the bathwater. He destroyed the Chargers and it was the Huskies who kept them going with a rebrand.
Forget the battle of the egos Bartlett/ McCoy, Bartlett killed the Chargers rather than compromise.

Reply #746307 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

How was he supposed to compromise? You can not take the McCoy - Bartlett discussion out of it.

Reply #746309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There was apparently an abc report a few nights ago that suggested the huskies are in financial strife..did anyone see it?"

Well, no shit.

As I said at the time, the guy behind the Huskies bid is a conman, who will make Tim Johnston & Firepower seem legitimate.
His big claim to fame is flogging over-priced water-bottles. A nice little earner I'm sure, but nowhere near enough to prop up an NBL franchise.
Like all such people, he's a master of the con, and of using OPM (Other Peoples' Money.)

Of course his apologists will make all sorts of ridiculous claims about the backing of Billionaires and other bullshit. All of which are easily disproven by their failure.
They need enough money to fund an NBL for several years at least, and enough money to make the DEC playable. They simply don't have it.

You know something stinks, when the entire bid is predicated on being given the DEC for next to nothing, and when he needed to start selling memberships and merchandise immediately to pay the bills.

It seems to be the Tasmanian way. Sit around on your ass smoking weed and expect the rest of Australia to bail you out.

As demonstrated with SEM, it's actually pretty simple. If you have a spare $20M to piss away, you can have your very own NBL franchise tomorrow (well next season anyway). And you can plonk that Franchise anywhere that has a suitable venue.

Want to make the Perth Bandits a reality? Just show LK the money

Reply #746333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure that the Barlett stuff is all smoke and mirrors as usual. The Huskies stuff despite the crap posted above is still happening and right now my money isn't on Bartlett. Bigger things are on the way I hear.

Reply #746335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll buy the popcorn, looking forward to see how this plays out. Who has the money or are booth smoke and mirrors.

Reply #746409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bartlett hasn't had any recent conversations for months with LK. With a licence announcement looming I doubt it's Bartlett.

Reply #746430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies now in the top 4. Three consecutive games Vs Canterbury Rams will decide their 2019 first season foray into the NZBL.

Reply #746505 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

The NBL desperately needs to increase the number of teams. Eight is just not enough to keep the competition interesting. SEM is a great addition but they need the tenth team asap and and then get on with finding another couple of viable options to get it up to twelve teams.

Reply #746531 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hopefully we see a Tasmanian and Wellington based team in the not too distant future.

Reply #746532 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I like the current setup with 4 games, 2 home and 2 way, against each team.
With 9 teams, we'd get a 32 game regular season, and I think that;s fine.
We often play 2 games a week, so its not like AFL where you need to worry about byes.
At ten teams, that would be pushed to 36 games. Whilst that's not huge by international standards, it would start to push the length of the season and venue availability, especially in Melbourne with two teams and the Tennis.

Anything more than that, and we'd definitely be looking at un-even series, probably 3 games against each other team.
We've had it before, and if needs be it will happen again, but people will whinge if team A finishes ahead of team B because they got 2 home games.

Reply #746536 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There will still only be 28 games this season, so series are already uneven.

Reply #746538 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Where have you heard that an announcement is looming,because I haven't heard anything.

Reply #746540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope not, 32 games would be best.

Reply #746541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm thinking
Team 9 / South East Melbourne Phoenix - 2019/2020
20/21
Team 10 / Southern Huskies - 21/22
Team 11 / Wellington Saints - 22/23
Team 12 / Canberra Cannons - 23/24

Wait sometime before
Gold Coast
Newcastle
Geelong
Christchurch

Reply #746542 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

More promotional giveaways from the huskies to get bums on seats for tonights game. nznbl have not helped the huskies with some terrible fixturing

Reply #746547 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The emails they've been sending out recently are basically them begging people to come.

Reply #746548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your on the email list Perffworld? Tell us what they say. PLease.

Reply #746569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reasonable crowd into night, rams far to good, some selfish play by huskies.

Reply #746571 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#569 it's just that every email they send lately is a BOGOF offer.

Reply #746587 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Went to the game last night, Huskies started very badly and could not get back in it.

Have not seen Gliddon play before, very good player. So is Emmett Naar, the Rams played a very smart game limited Billups and Jones and moved the ball well in offence

Huskies have done a lot of marketing and it is true the crowds are yet to go along in huge numbers....believe it will happen.

Lowlight for me was being hassled by a security guard for 15 minutes as i was on my phone getting a cricket score ( my kids were sitting with friends from their tesms they play in and i was on my own) Apparently i was courtside betting and about to be kicked out

Hope the Huskies bounce back

Reply #746589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if you are courtside and on the phone that long they were doing their job. Courtside betting was often an issue at Chargers games over the years.
Personally I thought the Huskies couldn't play that badly again. E will find out Saturday.

Reply #746590 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yes anon i totally agree they were doing their job no issue from me, thanks for you insight. At the time i was confused as the bloke did not have the best interpersonal skills!

Saturday will say a lot, there was not a lot of ball movement from the Huskies...their defence did pick up. Hope they put it together, it is a tough league - good basketball. It is not as strong as the nbl but it is good.

Reply #746591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jones and Bilups are so ball dominant and don't defend, it’s hurting the rest off the team. Michaels and vandenburg showed a bit for bench players. Moller worked hard at both ends and defensively was good. Where to from for this huskies side will be answered this Saturday night, stop playing selfish and they are a chance, play the same and it’s good bye season.

Reply #746599 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

very good summary anon 599, can not rely on being able to come back from 15 or more each game

Reply #746603 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The Huskies game last night was very dull, no atmosphere at all, worst game I have been to of the 4 played at the DEC.

All the DEC games have been boring, very little crowd involvement in any of them.

Essentially the only reason I have kept going after the first game was cheap tickets, anyone I spoke to at the game says the same.

If the Huskies games are an example of near live NBL basketball vibe then the NBL can keep their product as far as I am concerned.

Especially if the NBL wants to charge premium ticket prices like the Huskies tried to do initially.

The Huskies cannot replicate the Chargers vibe and vibrancy and I doubt ever will.

I guess that's what happens when a 20 year old community based club is forced out of competition by a private concern in cahoots with BTas.

Save basketball!!!! Bring back the Chargers!

Reply #746609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I guess that's what happens when a 20 year old community based club is forced out of competition by a private concern in cahoots with BTas."
What an ill informed comment.
The Huskies had zero to do with Bartlett pulling the pin on the Chargers. Thankfully the Huskies rescued them and they exist now. The money being spent on the non performing women is another issue.
Of course if they don't v exist next season it will be the Huskies fault again.
Only one person to blame. Bartlett.

Reply #746616 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Would the lack of crowds be a result of having the NBL1 Huskies team in competition for attention ?

Reply #746618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would guess the lack of crowds are a combination of the following factors:

- Initial prices that were too high for a league that is not the NBL.
- Lack of community engagement - something the Chargers were doing really well towards the end.
- Lack of a women's team playing at the same venue, on the same night.
- Some residual angst over the Chargers demise.
- Unfavouable scheduling.
- The NBL1 team somewhat competing for fan $$$ (and people not understanding the difference between the two comps/teams).

As a precursor to an NBL bid, the priority should have been bums on seats above all else this season. I think the Huskies only got around to realising this when it was too late this season.

Reply #746622 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"There will still only be 28 games this season, so series are already uneven"

Whilst I would prefer they go to 32 games, perhaps this is an acknowledgement that they plan to expand the league further, and the current 4 game series just aren't sustainable.

This may also have been in mind in their switch to percentage as the separator this season, as h2h would be completely unfair in an unbalanced fixture.

Conceptually, if you had the right backers, I could see a 2nd Sydney team, a Canberra team, and a 2nd NZ team. That's 12 even without the Huskies.

Reply #746652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Dazz. This once again clearly shows you have no idea of this competition at all. Let alone the NBL.

Reply #746661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs once again stamped there authority over the huskies, 25 to 9 free throws, a foul going to the basket for the rams is free throws, at the other end no call. Moller fouled out three and half minutes from end on a charge with the defensive player not set and one foot behind the line. Jones fouled on three point shot side line ball. Huskies shoot the ball to win game goes in and called after full time siren, watch the replay it's clear.

Reply #746709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lady Kiwi ref was shithouse. Previously she had been OK. As above the foul count tells most of the story. The competition for the Huskies is clearly the next level above the former SEABL competition. The refereeing hasn't graduated to that next level in Tasmania.
The lil ref guy who ever he is was extremely poor. Livestats were shithouse as well. Why that happened I don't know.

Reply #746711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to hear the Huskies are still in the mix for a licence.
Also good to hear another Kiwi team to be in, possibly Canberra, Darwin and Perth.

Reply #746725 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Anon #6622 You nailed it. I know many people did not know the difference between the Hobart and Southern Huskies. The starting ticket prices were also ridiculous. Massive errors there.

Get as many people in as possible to start off and you can charge higher prices once it has atmosphere and a 'have to be there' event!

Reply #746737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty clear to me. The Hobart Huskies play in Kingston and the Southern Huskies play @ the DEC

Reply #746744 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't think there would be actual confusion as to which team is what, more like wtf type confusion over what is happening, what their goals and aims are, etc.

The Huskies brand was birthed supposedly to bid for an NBL franchise. That bid now APPEARS to be dead in the water. (Not debating whether it is or isn't, just saying how things must appear to many)

Now they are competing in both the NBL1, AND the NZNBL, and to a casual observer its not very clear why.

I guess if you clearly enunciated that the NZNBL was a stepping-stone to the NBL, and that you wanted to build crowds, support, and membership, to springboard up to the NBL, that MIGHT work.
But then why have the NBL1 team?

Fact is that a lot of people are going to sit back and wait until its clear what is happening.

Reply #746774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Huskies brand was birthed supposedly to bid for an NBL franchise" You don't know this it true? You really shouldn't comment on stuff you know nothing about.
The true facts are very clear. You know nothing about the Huskies bid and it's well and truly alive.
If you really believe what you read here to be true you are really more of a dickwad than I thought you were. This relates to almost any topic here btw.

Reply #746782 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Basketball Australia have come out and said Tasmania will definitely be getting a team,its just of matter of when,the Southern Huskies are expected to move into the Australian NBL within 2 to 3 years.

Reply #746835 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

https://www.themercury.com.au/sport/basketball/southern-huskies-to-receive-a-200000-government-support-package-for-the-nznbl/news-story/aaf7c9f9c89f6bacde34cf6e6a687958

Reply #747095 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

LOL D2.0, what confusion? They've said from the start they want a team in the NBL. They've entered and made all these teams so that they can prove to the NBL that they can operate a franchise at a high level. The bid is not dead in the water by any stretch of the imagination.

Reply #747101 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The state government has already had to bail the Southern Huskies out of its financial crisis.

Without cut price and free tickets there was embarrassingly poor support for the Huskies

Even with the now standard ticket giveaway offerings support is modest in the south and atrocious in the north.

Face it Tasmania, as a state you never have been able to commercially support teams playing on the national stage and without government subsidy you never will.

Tassie news is full of hospital waiting list problems, housing price and homeless people issues, government ripping off their public servants with below CPI wage increases and the state government throws tax payer money away like this!

Reply #747115 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

No I think the cash injection has more to do with the fact that they're running multiple teams than their ability to possibly sustain one.

Reply #747120 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"No I think the cash injection has more to do with the fact that they're running multiple teams than their ability to possibly sustain one."

Are you suggesting the Southern Huskies NZNBL team is sustainable?

LMAO, don't think so.

The Hobart Huskies are the Chargers rebadged.

The Chargers had been around for years and appeared to be going from strength to strength.

The Chargers were getting thousands to their games late last season, the Hobart Huskies are getting maybe 250 spectators to their games.

Well done (not) Southern Huskies your entry into the sport has really messed Tas basketball up and now the government has to bail you out.

Reply #747123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Popcorn.

Reply #747128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Huskies have committed and paid to be in the NXBL for 5 seasons.
The last time I went to the DEC on a THURDSAY night there was at least 1500+ people there.
The Chargers were around for a long time and whilst on the court they were winning off the court they were broke.
If the Southern Huskies hadn't taken over the then defunct Chargers they wouldn't exist.

From "The Mercury" today. "For example, when Ringwood play Knox, they drive down the road and then go home to bed," he said.
“When we play Knox, we've got to take 22 people on a plane, stay three nights and then fly them home and you’ve got to do that 10 times."
Stop talking crap.

Reply #747147 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"They've entered and made all these teams so that they can prove to the NBL that they can operate a franchise at a high level."

That you believe and accept that simply demonstrates the depth of the confusion.

As has been shown with SEM, to get your own NBL Franchise, all you need is the money. Period.
Then you have to find a venue, so if you want one to be based in Tas you've got to refurb the DEC, so again, MONEY.

Simple fact is that if they had enough money, they would already be preparing their team for next season (just like SEM.)

Your best bet is get all the Huskies fans you can muster to chip in a few bucks and buy as many entries as possible for the $70M Lotto jackpot.

Reply #747155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowds at Hobart have been quite ok, looked like about 2500 against the rams, Launceston not that good. The Huskies should should just be nznbl, and nbl. Let the Hobart Huskies be run by btas or not at all.

Reply #747157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies beaten by 26, down by 31 at halftime, played their bench after halftime. No Moller no Huskies.

Reply #747199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz still an idiot. Stick to the NBL of which you still have no comprehension.

Reply #747221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies drop both. Finals almost unreachable now.

Reply #747260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To many stat padders in huskies, they were never a chance and with Moller out never a chance. It's always hard to put a first year team together on short notice, maybe should have just stuck with last years team, would not have gone any worse.

Reply #747275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't stick with last years team when Muo wasn't eligible. Plus the kids in the Huskies can't match the NZBL level of competition.

Reply #747309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if the Huskies team get in the NBL, what does the squad look like

Reply #747310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Muo would've been a better option than Bilups, no matter how many dunks he has, Zac White might be under size but he plays defence. Jones and Vanderburg have added not much, Bilups is very good under the bucket but when matched up on any one his size he struggles, defensively very ordinary. White, Moller , Muo, Cummings, Nichols would play as a unit, add Michaels if fit, Bj Radcliffe Masunda in a team system and they wouldn’t have had a worse record than what has been achieved this season, probably better.

Reply #747311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The locals are not up to it. Radcliffe was in the side and stepped back to NBL1. Masunda does nothing to contribute. Jones is a journeyman and seems to be past it. Vandenberg like a lot of 7'ers has got better. His fouling is an issue. Nichols has a chip in his ankle now according to todays news. Michales knee injury.
If the Huskies were to gain entry int the NBL whoever is in the current side would probably be a benchie. Yet another massive step up in talent.

Reply #747314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA says Tassie is ready for an NBL licence.
"https://www.examiner.com.au/story/6212764/tasmania-nbl-ready-basketball-australia-boss/?cs=96&fbclid=IwAR1TZYhNTIA1b8_DRsREWlcCmkhHqoFx9pgJu0lg_PfBsrZqvHCWvnEvfXE"

Reply #747352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-18/purchase-of-the-dec-to-get-tasmanian-nbl-team/11222566?pfmredir=sm

Reply #747648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange the the Government has just given the Huskies $200k.

Reply #747651 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

With the News that Larry NBL Kestelman is a bidder for the Derwent Entertainment centre in outer Hobart, one would think NBL status for Tasmania is not far away.
The DEC has surrounding land & is close to the MONA museum so if ripe for a whole raft of development possibilities.
Things like hotels, conference facilities, cafe, expansion to cater for more basketball courts etc.
This may mean the Chargers/Huskies are dead in the water. Its hard to say. Maybe Hickey & Kestelman are working together? or not. Maybe the NBL owner has jumped over the top & wants the whole cake for his own business purposes.
We don't know. Its only early days yet.
Very interesting & hopefully it will be all good news from now on.

Reply #747677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maybe the NBL owner has jumped over the top & wants the whole cake for his own business purposes." THat is exactly what has transpired. It was rumoured about 3 months ago that this might occur.
Huskies may fold and Kestleman not get the deal he wants.
Basketball will be dead in Tasmania.

Reply #747680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of trouble in paradise, I'm hearing a cut off time this evening.
Anyone else getting a similar story, but those bagging Bartlett might have to reconsider.

Reply #750273 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:04 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754