Anonymous
Years ago

All Time Boomers Team

Was thinking about this and wanted to get people's thoughts. Before posting I searched previous topics and found that this same topic had been discussed in 2008.

Interesting to select your team then check the discussion from 11 years back.
FWIW I went for

Smythe
Gaze
Ingles
Bradtke
Bogut

Delly
Palubinskas
Davies
Neilson
Longley

Mills
Simmons (even though he has barely played for the Boomers)

Topic #45321 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal has to be in there, Anstey also.

Reply #746369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree that Heal & Anstey are both instant inclusions although I disagree with Simmons being included if it is based on actual production. Replace him with Andersen and that 12 wouldn't be too far off my picks.

Reply #746370 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Vlahov deserves consideration at the very least.

Reply #746373 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As usual, it comes down to your criteria.
Are you asking for the best players, who did or might once play for the Boomers, or the Best Boomers.

It always difficult to compare across eras, but you've got to give credit to guys such as:

Gaze
Heal
Smyth
Borner
Sengstock
Vlahov
Bradke

and of course Palubinskas was outstanding in the early 70's

Reply #746374 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think when it comes to a player like Vlahos you have to include the special criteria of lifting your game when you play for the Boomers and as such does he come in for a player with more NBA credentials but who seems apathetic about representing Australia and/or performed worse than we desire.

This is where those writing in need to remember what they've said about the potential Boomers World Cup squad and the deficiencies of some players.

Such a fun subject to talk about though

Reply #746377 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

And are we only considering Australian born Boomers?

Good topic. Not sure whom i'd go with. Maybe swap out Dellavedova for Grace in OP’s list.

Reply #746385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills>Heal
I think you are forgetting how good Mills has been for the boomers. Lead the olympics in scoring in London.

Reply #746387 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Naming Simmons already when he has yet to play a major tournament is a big call.
Would think a definite in 5 years but not now.

Reply #746389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills
Gaze
Ingles
Bradtke
Bogut

Heal
Delly
Mackinnon
Baynes
Longley

Smyth
Andersen

Reply #746395 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Comparing each player in terms of their impact for the Boomers AT THE TIME rather than against current standards, the initial list is still hard to beat, although I'd probably put Vlahov instead of Neilson, and Grace or Anstey instead of Simmons.

Much as I hated Vlahov, on the international front he was an absolute mongrel who often carried the Boomers on his back.

Grace was probably the best naturalised player for us, and you just cannot leave out Anstey.

Reply #746396 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Simmons can't be in there if you're talking about players wearing the Boomers singlet. Maybe in 5 years time but he's produced very little in the green & gold as he hasn't been in the team. Baynes has done more for the Boomers

Reply #746397 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

My personal criteria is going to be if I had to create a team from all the Australians who've ever played for the Boomers, in their prime, to face Team USA.

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Vlahov
Bogut (in prime, remember)

Delly
Heal
Gaze
Mckinnon
Bradtke
Longley
Palubinskis

Reply #746398 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

One combination that would've been great to watch: prime Gaze and Bogut. Bogut’s passing and screening would’ve created so many great looks for him!

Reply #746407 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If you go the other way, and you include naturalised players
then you have to factor in guys like Grace, Fisher, Loggins, etc.
Obviously in reality they could never play together, but those are some of the greatest players we've seen.

Longley missed a lot, but at his best was better than Bogut

Reply #746412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he wasn't

Reply #746414 | Report this post

Harfa  
Years ago

OP again.
Didn't include criteria. Happy to see opinions and discussion.
My personal selection was around balance and mobility /perimeter defence at the 4 spot to play around Bogut and Longley. Much as i like him, I reckon Baynes would create a lumbering front court.
I didn't include Heal because of his repulsive shot selection and inability to defend.
Again, my opinion only.

Reply #746419 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Good point about Baynes being slow.

Add to that Gaze's lack of defense, Smythe’s slow ball, Heal’s streaky shooting and melt-downs, and uncertainty about whether Palubinskas or Davies could defend (I can’t remember back that far).

For a run and gun style of game, I would have loved to see prime Mills, Gaze, Ingles, Vlahov and Bogut together.

Reply #746420 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Smyth as coach.

Reply #746431 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

"Longley missed a lot, but at his best was better than Bogut"

Longley was better than many give him credit for - an excellent defender and passer, and had to front against some of the best centers of all time. But no, Bogut was far more versatile, athletic, clever, etc.

Reply #746442 | Report this post

Greendogg  
Years ago

Tony Ronaldson always played above himself for the Boomers... probably make a 20 man "all time" squad..

Reply #746558 | Report this post

Boss  
Years ago

I can only judge players I have seen from the late 80's on but my team would look something like this

Smyth
Gaze
Ingles
Bradtke
Bogut

Mills
Delly
Vlahov
Andersen
Longley

Heal
Simmons

Would love to see Simmons on court surrounded by a combination of Gaze, Ingles, Heal, Mills and any one of the bigs playing the 5. Would be fun to watch

Reply #746560 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd love to see Vlahov coming off the bench, his intensity, smarts and ability would be great fun to watch again (I mean with him not having to play high volume minutes in this team).

I think regardless if Longley is or isn't as good as Bogut, you'd have to be happy bringing him off the bench as like said above, his experience against all time great centres would be so invaluable.

As for international players, I don't see why we couldn't add a single player as per FIBA rules so where is a glaring weakness that they'd need to fill?

I think that Glen Saville and his versatility is being understated but maybe it isn't and this side is just too great for him to get a look in.

Barry Barnes, Lindsay Gaze, Dr Adrian Hurley, Phil Smyth, Brian Goordjian, Brett Brown or Andrej Lemanis for coach?

This forum has always had posters claim that players deserve this many minutes but we haven't seen it here, is that because it would be disrespectful to say that say Vlahov would only get ten minutes a game to come on and be a difference maker?

Reply #746583 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:17 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754