Aussie
Years ago

Men's players to watch at U16 National Champs?

Which men's players should we be watching closely at the U16 National Champs starting this weekend?

Any real standouts?

Names, height and positions would be great.

Thanks.

Topic #45436 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe McDowell-White Qld Sth 6' PG
Javarne Hunt Qld Sth
Haizyn Mellars Qld Sth 6'3 SG
Rory Hawke Qld Nth 6'4 SF/SG
Kane Runnalls Qld Nth 6'7 SF

I think Qld Sth will be good actually

Reply #749330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys
Mcdowell-White 6'0 G
Proctor 6’1 G
Penn 6’4 G
Poelsma 6’5 F
Pierre 6’5 C
Magbegor 6’6 F
Papacostas 6’7 C
Yaak 6’10 C

Ferranato 6’0 G
Devers 6’1 G
Dent 6’2 G
Koudakpo 6’2 F

Reply #749363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yaak Yaak 208cm 15yo is one SA prospect to watch.

Reply #749370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

forgot Papacostas! Another from Qld Sth. I like your list.

Who will ve Final 4 u think?

Reply #749383 | Report this post

master  
Years ago

5 John Koudakpo 188- THIS GUY WILL BE A BEAST

Reply #749387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There seems to be quite a few tall players in this under 16 age group
Yaak 208 cm
Runnels about 208cm (see photo same height as Jawai)

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3342434585782250&id=190987480926992&set=pcb.3342434682448907&source=49

These players seem to be around 6'9 (can be seen as most of the team photos seem to be on the state based Facebook pages).

Evans NSW Metro
Amum VIC Metro
Beattie ACT
?? QLD Sth (I don’t know the players name but he standing to the left of papacostas)
https://m.facebook.com/basketballqld/photos/pcb.3348541335171575/3348541235171585/?type=3&source=49

Reply #749393 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

They are not referred to as men in the comp they are referred to as boys.

Reply #749402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks know it all ^^

Reply #749413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know why Yaak isn't playing?

Reply #749699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yaak Maybe injured?

Some Girls to look out for to...

I.Borlase G
D.Loughridge G
T.Heal G
F.Henderson G
L.Dart F
J.Simons F
D.Ananiev F
N.Puoch F
R.Vlahov F
S.Preston F

L.Cameron G
L.May-Walker G
M.Crawford G
H.Mcdowell-White G
A.Kurkowski G
J.Petrie F
O.Bradley F
I.Juffermans C

Reply #749707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amum is about 6'7

Reply #749708 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yaak is Injured

Reply #749717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Closer comp in the men than previous years.

Reply #749718 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Anyone know Josh Dent's height and date of birth?

Reply #749740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dent is bottom age, would be about 6'2" I think, but his brother was done growing by this stage so will be interesting to see whether he puts on any more.

It's definitely the most competitive I can remember the men's tournament being. Qld South took Vic Metro to OT but were really pushed by both ACT and WA Country. The Pool B results have been absolutely all over the shop and on the last day of pool play there could still be almost any possible outcome for 1st-5th. The crossovers could go any way, feels like 1st in B could lose while 3rd might get a W.

SA Metro have held up well despite missing a lot.

Does anyone who's seen a few of these recently have a feel for whether the parity is a positive or negative for Aus teams in the age group? I.e., is it due to lack of top-end talent, or exceptional depth?

Reply #750018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deeper pool of players I'd say compared to 03s last year.

Reply #750020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who's at the event, post a link of the team list. It has all the players d.o.b and heights.
Not sure why BA don’t list them anymore.

Reply #750022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like...

https://mobile.twitter.com/bluestarbbasia/status/1148078217888092160/photo/1

Reply #750023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that Sellman kid from Sturt in the team ?

Reply #750080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like every other year for the girls. The Forestville girls being showcased.

Reply #750082 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I heard a number of the SA players are injured, weren't selected or didn’t trial.

Reply #750083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I believe he is one of several for SA Metro who were selected but not playing. If they can come back at full strength in a couple of years they should be legitimate contenders.

Reply #750084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2018 group chosen from nationals...

All 03' born.
6’2 Daniels/6’0 Windhager/6’0 Wacher
6’2 Deans/? Injury
6’4 Johnson/6’5 Ingham
6’6 Duach/6’6 Pennisi/6’6 Walker
7’0 McWilliams/6’5 Thomson

Id only consider Daniels and Duach to be locks.

I think this 04 group has much more potential.

Reply #750085 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You've got to be kidding, 2004 age group is alot weaker than 2003 age group. There are a couple good 2004 that may mix with 2003 but that's it.

Reply #750126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree, based on potential, overall more 04 talent.
I'm aware that some of the best 03s didn’t Make the oceania squad. Rasmussen, Ipassou, Stattman, Dengdit etc

Reply #750130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd hate to be a qld South supporter right now. Both the boys and girls beaten by mediocre vic country sides.

Reply #750131 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Based on potential ?
We are talking about now, who knows where these kids will end up in a few years time.

Reply #750146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's
Vic m vs sa m final
Nsw m vs vic c bronze

Vic boys though to final beating act
Vic m could be in trouble, currently down against an undermanned sa metro.

Reply #750306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic m can't put the ball in the rack, 30%fg shooting atm.

Reply #750307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going into final qtr 47-44 vic metro with the lead.

Reply #750308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic metro run over them in the final qtr. all vic final again.

Reply #750310 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What do you expect with SA men playing with half a team. Game could have been won an opportunity wasted.

Reply #750321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, vic rule.
Very disappointed in wa metro teams, qld south teams and nsw metro teams.
These teams should be right up near the top all the time.

If you have act, tas and qld n beating you regularly o er the past few years, it's not a good look.

Reply #750322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know lots of players both girls and boys that are U18 1st years only 2- 4 months older than many of these players and can take some of these players easy. The year above is very strong across the board so limits opportunities in that age group. But what it does mean is when they all get out of Juniors maybe we still don't have the best representing our state and getting opportunities others that are lucky to have that early birthday and others unlucky to have a late one. So 03 & 04 has talent but 03 much stronger overall. If there was still an U20 when they are all closer to their final development as young men and women then and only then can you really compare the talent. Previous years may have been victims of the former leadership and selection of players and coaches and maybe we have far more to offer in SA than we realise.

Reply #750323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic rule because its a numbers game. 4 plus times the population and its the highest participation rate of any sport including footy. Thats a huge pool to find talent from. In reality no one should ever get anywhere near them in all games but sometimes they do. Brag on Vic, its like the player a foot taller than everyone else bragging about their rebound numbers. Its a given they will have the most.

Reply #750324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credit to sa, doing a lot better job than most other states with less resources and a smaller player pool.

Reply #750326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro have been really impressive this year for me. There are years where they're hyped and come with all the pieces but end up 6th, 7th or lower. This year in the bronze playoff despite missing several key players and playing the week with 9.

ACT top 4 for first time in 8 years. Not just one stud for them, either, have had a number of contributors, though never the luxury of going 10 deep like the Vics.

Qld North an interesting case with some dominant results against the bottom teams but unable to secure any wins against the top 6. Not sure that's good news for Runnalls' ability to step up to international competition.

Reply #750348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would be in the teams of tournament?
12 boys n girls who could potentially be the next u17/u18/u19 Aussie sides in 2021-2023.

PG-?/?
SG-?/?/?
SF-?/?
PF-?/?/?
C-?/?

Not sure about any boys but I also think a couple of girls are an outside chance of making the u16 Asia team this year and next years worlds.
Borlase as a tough guard and Puoch as a versatile forward who can defend and disrupt smaller players.

Reply #750350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Puoch, Borlase and Heal were fantastic in the final. Congratz to vic metro.

Reply #750409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knowing the SA talent for more than just this championship I would say the ones with sustainable talent that are more than just a scoreline going forward in my eyes are and Borlase from SA Metro Girls and Moffat from SA Country Girls. Boys from Metro Yaak & Carlson and Country Wyatt and Clifton. Others may look good intermittently but not sure they will be able to hang in there long term against talent below, above and in opposition. Anyone else have any thoughts.

Reply #750410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brazel as well from SA Metro sorry that didn't come up.

03 definitely more talent comparatively in SA but overall for Australia 03 is much more talented than 04 so its harder to get a gig. SA has changed its leadership and coaching group moved around as well. That has led this 04 to have a better opportunity to reach their potential in what many consider a weaker year overall across the country. Sorry guys no offence. Last years 03 group had great talent, some that didn’t make the team for some questionable selections that did not make it next selection and now moved interstate. They had made Auscamp yet did not make an interstate team so leads to justifying those that questioned selections in the first place. So 03 victims of politics and coaching issues unfortunately. Lets see how they go this year coming in 18’s and then make judgement on the 03’s and hope the new leadership gets it back on track. Interesting that the team that was runner up in 16 grandfinal for 03’s did not have one rep in the state team last year for metro but 2 for country state who made 4th at nationals. Lets hope that issue is rectified as well so our state gets the best tram makeup to give us the best state result not showcasing individuals.

Reply #750411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brazel as well from SA Metro sorry that didn't come up.

03 definitely more talent comparatively in SA but overall for Australia 03 is much more talented than 04 so its harder to get a gig. SA has changed its leadership and coaching group moved around as well. That has led this 04 to have a better opportunity to reach their potential in what many consider a weaker year overall across the country. Sorry guys no offence. Last years 03 group had great talent, some that didn’t make the team for some questionable selections that did not make it next selection and now moved interstate. They had made Auscamp yet did not make an interstate team so leads to justifying those that questioned selections in the first place. So 03 victims of politics and coaching issues unfortunately. Lets see how they go this year coming in 18’s and then make judgement on the 03’s and hope the new leadership gets it back on track. Interesting that the team that was runner up in 16 grandfinal for 03’s did not have one rep in the state team last year for metro but 2 for country state who made 4th at nationals. Lets hope that issue is rectified as well so our state gets the best tram makeup to give us the best state result not showcasing individuals.

Reply #750412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under-16 Boys:

1. Vic Metro
2. Vic Country
3. SA Metro
4. ACT
5. Queensland South
6. SA Country
7. WA Metro
8. NSW Metro
9. QLD North
10. Tasmania
11. NSW Country
12. WA Country
13. NT

Under-16 Girls:

1. Vic Metro
2. SA Metro
3. Vic Country
4. NSW Metro
5. WA Metro
6. NSW Country
7. QLD South
8. Tasmania
9. SA Country
10. ACT
11. QLD North
12. WA Country
13. NT

Reply #750458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC boys 4th in 2018 and 5th 2019 , great result for SAC

Reply #750476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's team of the tournament imo.

Heal/Loughridge
Logan/Moffatt/Simons
Borlase/Dart/Ananiev
Puoch/Vlahov
Preston/Jacobs

Reply #750510 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:58 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754