Curtley
Years ago

SEM Phoenix sign next stars player

This guy is projected to go number 40 in 2020 draft currently so not the same profile as RJ or Ball. Commentators in vid give NBL massive props. https://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/27125759/armstrong-no-40-prospect-20-joining-nbl

Topic #45445 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

How good is Next Stars going this year!!

Reply #749501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who?

Reply #749503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney is set to sign Didi Louzada as a next star too. The number 35 pick from this year draft. If you're wondering 'wtf a drafted player can't be a next star', its Due to a "recent change to the next stars guidlines". Basically changed the rules to suit Sydney lol.

I do think the rule overall makes some sense, just feels dodgy when its suddenly changed and benefits a team like Sydney lol

Reply #749505 | Report this post

Lakersworld  
Years ago

I don't have a a problem with draft and stash being part of next star ruling if it's a second rounder.

Reply #749507 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah I have no problem with it (albeit maybe a bit selfishly as a Kings fan), but I'd prefer these type of changes to get announced before guys get signed rather than after to make things not appear so ... autocratic.

Reply #749508 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yeah, I agree that it will seem a bit suss because it's Sydney, but if it opens it up for all teams to now look at 2nd round draft and stash options at summer league, then that's awesome if the NBL is paying for them as it boosts up the Next Stars numbers and more chance of success which is only good for the NBL...

Reply #749512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'd prefer these type of changes to get announced before guys get signed rather than after to make things not appear so ... autocratic"

Yeah thats what makes it seem a little bit dodgy. I don't dislike the rule, it makes some sense and helps being in some talented young guys and beef up the next stars. If at the start of the offseason they said "recent draft and stash players can be a next star" then yeah sweet. But the way they say "sydney has signed this drafted player, yeah btw we just changed the rules so they can" seems a little dodgy.

For all we know though this could have been mentioned to clubs ages ago, some communication with fans would have been nice though and made the league seem a bit more professional.

Reply #749513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like having four imports though, tough for Australian players trying to see the daylight. Players who bloom late like Sobey might never get to see the court now.
On the other side of the coin it will keep next stars alive as the nba will probably change the rules from one and done as most don’t want to go to college.

Reply #749514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that if they are going to keep this change, the league should maybe expand it a bit further, and then cut imports back to two.
I seem to recall back in the day when Perth had 5 or 6 American players - I don't think having 4 imports is a good look.

Reply #749569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Kestleman who owns the League and has interests in 5 other teams, favours the Kings? Now that's some conspiracy.

Reply #749600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its foreseeable that you could actually make an entire NBL team with no Australians/Kiwis, Three imports, one next star player, two naturalised Americans and four guys with Asian/Oceania passports.

Not happy Jan

Reply #749816 | Report this post

Perfwerld  
Years ago

Anon above - you're counting 10 players, an nbl roster is 11 so...

Reply #749857 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not to mention you're only allowed one Asian player, and the Next Star doesn't count towards the 11, so there are still five empty spots. Of course, that's only because the naturalised Americans were arbitrarily capped at two, when in fact there's no limit on them...nor has there ever been. Although speaking practically, are there even two naturalised Americans in the entire league at present?

Reply #749867 | Report this post

Perfwerld  
Years ago

Wouldn't have thought so Koberulz, Redhage was the last one off the top of my head before Lisch?

Reply #749872 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I think you're missing the anon's point, guys... And it's that it's a giant conspiracy and they sky is falling!

Reply #749893 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:39 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754