LC
Years ago

NBL Next Star Eligibility & CBA Transparency

A great piece that analysis NBL Next Star eligibility while also questioning why the current CBA is not being made publicly available.

On Next Star eligibility, and should the NBL's Collective Bargaining Agreement be made public?

Thoughts?

The NBA CBA is available, as is the AFL's. Why not the NBL?

Topic #45530 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree there is no reason to not increase transparency. It creates trust and buy in from the community/supporter base. The team tax bills is one aspect of this, it was meant to all be public yet we have never seen a thing. This leads to comments like "Kestelman favours United by giving them 3 incredible imports for this upcoming season" However untrue that might be.

The other arguement that comes up, in the AFL and the NBL, is player salaries. There is more reason to keep this private as it is more personal information. But the same arguement can be made as above. It also creates talking points and extra content/media for the league, increasing profile.

Reply #751480 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I love the initiative and hope it continues into next season so other clubs have the opportunity to capitalise on it. But the blatant negligence in pushing this through so one club can obtain a huge advantage for this season is bullshit. There's a significant difference between the possibility of signing an 18 year old HS talent with a 22/23 year old senior out of college - especially for smaller market teams.

Poor from a league that has accomplished such great things in a short amount of time.

Reply #751493 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I'm all for transparency, but like it or not, Kestleman owns the league and runs it as he sees fit.

The problem with "transparency" is that you publish something, and people expect that to be written in stone, then scream when it chances. As a general rule, that's fine, but the league is clearly in a very dynamic stage and LK & JL are doing what they think is in the best interests of the league.

It sucks that Sydney got the only NS last season, and now have had the guidelines moved for them, but frankly I am more critical of Other teams for not getting into this.
Why haven't the Cats used their contacts and reputation to sign a NS??
If they think there is no advantage in it, then I can't really complain about the rules.

Not having too much transparency has allowed them to manage the transition, including benefiting the Wildcats, so I can't really complain.

Reply #751504 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Governance and transparency are clearly the issues that the league doesn't care too much about. It just gets in the way of buzz.

Many will argue that the buzz is worth it. I obviously disagree, but then that's no surprise.

Reply #751515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL really needs to get it's shit together.
All teams should have one next star or all should have none.

Reply #751516 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'll continue to say that I find the lack of transparency makes the league still look a bit bush league when rules suddenly change when one of the major market teams does something that we didn't know was allowed, but to be honest if the rest of the owners in the league are being notified and don't see it as a problem then maybe it's a bit of a moot point.

Reply #751530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be nice to have cba transparency and in time the NBL will have to come to that conclusion to. For years the NBL needed a kick up the butt and finally it's got it. This is the most anticipated season ever of the NBL .
It was a surprise to see the rule change for didi but it needed to happen for the growth of the next stars program when the nba changers it’s rules.
I don’t know if any more next stars are going to come but I’d like to see every team have one to make it even.

Reply #751533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing by the Fat Controller's rules.

Reply #751549 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:43 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754