Mungindi
Years ago

FAs and recently retired players on team USA

With the current Team USA fielding the worst pro team to ever pull on the jersey (on paper) should the team management reach out to the likes of Vince Carter, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard and Dwyane Wade?

The format needs a shake up.

Topic #45565 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

They are certainly lacking the athletic, all-court four-men like Anthony and James that have been a huge part of their recent dominance. I would reach out to Anthony, he has been one of their absolute best at international level.

Reply #752295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can Australia win against the us at the warm up games as it stands atm?

Reply #752297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think given Melo's international success he would be worth approaching. The shorter 3 point line in FIBA competition makes him a completely different player than he is in the NBA. I don't think Carter or Howard would help, and Dwyane Wade probably plays the position they can most easily fill from available players.

As it stands, yes, the Boomers have every chance to beat them in the warmup games.

Reply #752299 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, I think this may be Australia's best ever chance to get a win over the USA. It would not surprise me at all if the 2 game series was split. It is still most likely to be a USA sweep but if it was, it would be reasonably close.

Reply #752305 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, I think this may be Australia's best ever chance to get a win over the USA. It would not surprise me at all if the 2 game series was split. It is still most likely to be a USA sweep but if it was, it would be reasonably close.

Reply #752306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Australia can win it will generate a lot of media attention to the general public in Australia and change the games perspective totally.

Reply #752320 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

It may make the general population who do not watch basketball much go "wow I didnt realise we had got so good" and raise the overall interest a little. I would say that could generate more interest then a full squad USA team flogging us a couple times in the long term.

Reply #752327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What team does joe bloggs play for?

Reply #752347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember joe bloggs knows nothing to very little about basketball not mention who plays for the USA team.
But joe bloggs knows a lot about band wagons and how to jump on them if Australia is winning.

Reply #752349 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Interesting that the promoter of the event is still pedalling the lie that this US team is the most talented to ever play against Australia here. Which is just blatant nonsense at this point.

Reply #752356 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Pretty silly thread. Anthony isn't out of the league because of style. It's because he can't even do what he does well at an acceptable level.

"Missing an athletic all court 4 man like Anthony and James"- I'd say their roster is full of them. Brown, Tatum, Kuz, Barnes are all the perfect FIBA 4's in the mould of Anthony, and will still be some of the best players in the tournament.

It will depend on how the team gels as a whole whether they can win.

Reply #752361 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Who else has played Aus of any talent here before??

True bball fans knew team usa would not send a top side for a world cup, never have.

We lucky they didn't pick a g league select team with jvg coaching again

Reply #752435 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754