There are a couple of articles around about it

Topic #45625 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

*that coming

Reply #753906 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Seriously? Kay is one of the most important players we have, there is no one else who can do what he does both defensively and on the glass at the 4-spot. He is a rare talent.

Reply #753916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprised, he works hard and plays team. Will be interesting if he makes squad to see how he goes against some off the very athletic fours from the top world sides.

Reply #753917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think motum could be on the chopping block.

Reply #753918 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I don't see who you'd drop to bring him in though. I mean, Bolden would have to be a lock. Motum would be close enough to a lock. Do you instead opt against bringing in Landale so you can have another 4? I'd say this is probably a battle between Motum and Kay for the backup four spot, and with shooting an absolute necessity for this team I probably don't like Nick's chances.

Reply #753919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova/Mccarron
Mills/Sobey
Ingles/Creek/Adel
Kay/Bolden/Landale
Baynes/Bogut

Cadee
Goulding
Gliddon
Blanchfield
Cooks
Motum

Reply #753920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

classic tweener who does well in NBL but has no position internationally

Reply #753923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale has to be in as both Bayes and Bogut are a little injury prone. Do you go for offensive 4 Motum or defensive team 4 in Kay, with Bolden the starting 4, I'd take the three. Goulding ahead off McCarron in the 2. Sobey in the back up point.

Dellavedova, Sobey
Mills, Goulding
Inglis, Creek
Bolden, Motum, Kay
Bogut, Bayes, Landale

Reply #753930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way that's happening...^

Reply #753931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, I especially enjoyed his 'dominance' of Japan on 4/19 shooting, in what was our first ever loss in Asia. A 'rare talent' indeed!

Reply #753934 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"classic tweener who does well in NBL but has no position internationally"

He's not a tweener at all, he is a 4 at NBL or international level. Lemanis had been wanting a versatile, defensive-minded, rebounding PF like Kay since he took over the Boomers job.

Reply #753940 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Yes, I especially enjoyed his 'dominance' of Japan on 4/19 shooting, in what was our first ever loss in Asia. A 'rare talent' indeed!"

Players can have bad games, ya know. Name the player and I'll go find you an equally bad game they've played.

"Dellavedova, Sobey
Mills, Goulding
Inglis, Creek
Bolden, Motum, Kay
Bogut, Bayes, Landale "

I like this line up but Lemanis always goes for more guards than forwards for the Boomers.

Reply #753944 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Kay's not making a Boomers team over Bolden or Motum come on. It's Aussie tradition to err on the side of an extra guard than a forward.

Reply #753945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis does prefer guards so don't be shocked if Cadee makes team.
I think Kay over Motum.

Reply #753947 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Pop has been playing Mills at the 1 a lot more. Ingles also plays PG on offence during some rotations with the jazz.

All our guards are capable of playing the one spot if needed, especially against the 2nd and 3rd options when they will get used anyway

Reply #753967 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Not sure how you figure him as a "tweener"?
Yes, he can play the 5 in the NBL if NEEDED, and does a few minutes here and there, but he plays predominately in his natural position of PF. Same role he plays internationally.

He's there to keep the others honest, and that's what he's doing.

What are the injury rules for the WC? If somebody goes down during the tourney, can they be replaced in the squad?

Reply #753981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay has practically been the MVP for the Boomers post-Rio.

Reply #753983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Pop has been playing Mills at the 1 a lot more. Ingles also plays PG on offence during some rotations with the jazz."

Months ago I watched some video analysis/breakdown of Utah's offence with Ingles at the point and how it was their best and most dangerous lineup (it said it was one of the hardest to guard in the league if I remember correctly). Going to be interesting to see how he's used with the boomers now and if he runs the offence a bit more

Reply #753985 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Any info on Simmons during training? A read a report that he was training with the Boomers team.

Reply #753989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this a joke ? I love Kay but honestly, starting at Wirkds?? :) The Lithuanians and Canadians will be quakin in their boots

Reply #754013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*worlds

Reply #754014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Any info on Simmons during training? A read a report that he was training with the Boomers team."

That's correct. There's a few clips/photos floating about on social media. Helping to build chemistry for Tokyo 2020.

Reply #754018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for how he did, the clips showed him doing one on one work with Bolden. There was some quotes from Patty Mills saying trying to defend his speed was challenging for the team so I'm guessing he was involved in other aspects too.

Reply #754019 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Why would Kay starting at World's be that bad? If he wears some fouls by overzealous refereeing trying to dictate how they want the game to be called and we spare say Bogut picking up some early cheap fouls then I'm all for it.

Against Spain in Olympic bronze medal playoff Bogut fouled out with 5 minutes to go in the game, what we would do to get some early fouls on a Kay type and have Bogut on during clutch time...

Also I don't think Kay would embarrass himself and if he does then we have quality bigs to replace him with on the court. I also think that Kay wouldn't be shooting bad shots if he was out there with Delly, Mills, Ingles and Baynes.

Reply #754117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too small for an international 4

Reply #754150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'9 is too small?

An internationalm4 is 6’7 - 6’11

Reply #754151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

International 4 that are 6ft 7" can jump a metre and have 7” wing spans, Kay doesn't. I’m still thinking he’s probably a shot but let’s not go over board.

Reply #754152 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

In Rio we had Andersen, Motum and Bairstow playing the 4. Is Kay really any downgrade athletically on Bairstow and Andersen? Any downgrade defensively? Kay is similar in size to Bairstow. Size is important, but it doesn't matter if you don't use it. Kay is superior than all these guys on the glass. He offers stretch 4 abilities with a very impressive 44% from behind the 3-point line last season. Andersen's role was very important in Rio, and his shooting was a huge part of that, so if Kay is still hitting 3s like he did last season, he might actually be an upgrade on Andersen because he can shoot at an equivalently high clip while offering more in rebounding and defense.

Reply #754154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with you rjd, the only thing is that Anderson had length defensively and was probably slightly quicker than Kay.

Reply #754155 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Don't compare Nick bloody Kay to David Andersen in respect to what they've done on the international stage. Sure Andersen isn't Boomers quality now but in his younger years he carried us in some of the big senior tournaments, Kay's never even played a game at the WC or Olympics.

Reply #754157 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think we will have to come to terms with the fact that Nick Kay is on the team very soon. NBL just released another video from the camp and they're talking about Nick Kay once again. He's obviously been a revelation in camp and it would be a surprise now if he didn't make it.

Who is giving up their spot to him though? Motum? Landale? Bolden?

Reply #754164 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

No way Bolden loses his spot. Plays 3 positions and is a legitimate threat in all of them. Rebounds, shoots the ball, plays D. Would think he's one of the first in.

Reply #754165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum is gone imo.

PG Dellavedova / Mccarron or Sobey
SG Mills / Sobey or Goulding
SG/SF Ingles
SF Creek / Adel
PF Bolden / Kay
PF/C Landale
C Baynes / Bogut

Reply #754167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As posted above

Deladova, Sobey
Mills, Goulding
Inglis, Creek
Bolden , Motum, Kay
Bogut, Bayes, Landale

It's the best available.

Reply #754168 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yes, I especially enjoyed his 'dominance' of Japan on 4/19 shooting, in what was our first ever loss in Asia. A 'rare talent' indeed!

Good memory. That was a shocking performance - if we were a more passionate basketball nation his passport would have been revoked! Just kidding (before anyone gets outraged). More Lemanis' fault for not benching him and persisting actually.

I haven't seen anyone analyse it on here before but there is something wrong with the mechanics of his shot from close range over traffic re: arc and flatness which has never been addressed. It's not an issue game to game but can flare up and results in performances like that.

Reply #754170 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I don't know, but I'd have thought that part of the reason for this training, and the practice games, is to get the team clicking and to make sure that we send the best 12, based on current form?

Perhaps this is the opportunity to actually compare players, rather than try to evaluate performances in disparate leagues?

Maybe, on that basis, Kay deserves a shot?

I mean, what do they mean by "dominates"? If he's consistently outplaying some of the bigger names, maybe that says something?

Personally, I would like to see players rewarded for their ability, as opposed to sucking up to Lemanis like Sobey and Spuddee.

Reply #754175 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Zodiac, in no way am I disparaging Andersen. I've repeatedly claimed that Andersen has been underrated by Australian basketball fans, especially in his terrific commitment to the Boomers team. I'm just comparing Kay 2019 to Andersen 2016, in which case I see that Kay, on paper, might be able to offer more. Would I take Kay 2019 over Andersen 2016? Probably not. Andersen's experience at high levels, in big events, for a long time is a crucial advantage.

Reply #754188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac lacks credibility coming across as a salty Adelaide fan.
Kay will make the team either Motum or Landale miss out.

Reply #754208 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754