Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Tasmania team update

A few articles in the press over the last 24 hours.

Tasmania will be the 10th team.
Target is next season, but if not, then the following one.
Team will definitely have a presence in Launceston and Hobart
Huskies owners will be considered for the licence but results so far have been "mixed"

Topic #45646 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he'll hold off for a while on teams 11 and 12.
Need another nz team for sure and Canberra deserves a team. Newcastle also another possibility.

Reply #754417 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

when you say next season, I assume you mean 20/21.

I'm intrigued by the whole split presence concept, wonder how it will work.
I mean I think it's great, just curious as to the practical considerations

Reply #754418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see the huskies being involved, don’t think LK was to happy them going to nznbl, don’t think they got the coin either. If it happens I could see Bartlett making a come back.

Reply #754421 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Canberra aren't getting a team. Their association is horrendously run and the support a team would require to survive simply isn't there.

Reply #754437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Canberra and Newcastle have zero hope of getting a franchise.

Reply #754455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leagues
NBL

Founded

Dissolved

History
Canberra Cannons
1979-2003

Arena
AIS Arena
Capacity

Team colors
White, Red and Blue

Championships
3 (1983, 1984, 1988)

I'd like to see Canberra back in the NBL

Reply #754462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And approx 2000-2003 died a very slow death

Reply #754463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leagues
NBL

Founded

Dissolved

History
Newcastle Falcons
1979-1999

Arena
Broadmeadow Basketball Stadium (1979–1991)
Newcastle Entertainment Centre (1992–1999)

Capacity
BBS - 2,000
NEC - 4,658

Team colors
Red, Blue and White

Championships

I like to see Newcastle back in the NBL

Reply #754465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leagues
NBL

Founded

Dissolved

History
Hobart Devils
1983-1986, 1996

Hobart Tassie Devils
1987–1995

Arena
Kingborough Sports Centre (1983–89)
Derwent Entertainment Centre (1989–96)
Capacity
1,800 (Kingborough)
5,400 (DEC)

Team colors
Green, Red, Yellow, White

Championships

The club played out of the Kingborough Sports Centre from 1983 to 1988. From the 1989 NBL season they then moved into the larger (5,400-seat) and more modern Derwent Entertainment Centre where they stayed until folding in 1996. The move into the new arena gave the club a larger venue, but the Tassie Devils left their "magic" at Kingborough, where they had been very hard to defeat always in the role of the underdog in 1986, 1987 and 1988 and these three years played before sell-out crowds in the cozy 1,800-seat arena. During Devils home games the home court arena was often referred to as the "Devils Den" by local TV commentators. The Devils enjoyed their most successful, and only winning season in NBL competition, in 1987 notching a 14-win, 12-loss league record. That team featured good chemistry and a high powered offense, it included key players Steve Carfino, Paul Stanley, Jerry Dennard, Wayne Burden, Peter Mann, Rick Hodges and was coached by American Dave "Doc" Adkins and led by club president, Tasmanian Wayne Monaghan.

Reply #754467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I don't want Tassie back either. And the Newcastle Pirates, better left alone

Reply #754469 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^Hunter Pirates

Reply #754475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The next teams in are Hobart, Wellington, Canberra and toss up between western Sydney and Newcastle.

Reply #754476 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

NT like to do the split between capital and next biggest town. Perfect way to go belly up and struggle.

If you want fans you need to allow them to attend all games. The moment you start giving a few games to a smaller venue, your local fans are also missing out.

Reply #754487 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Sadly the kings are tied to homebush for the next 30 yrs so any chance of a western sydney franchise is dead. Also disappointing given the kings have given up on playing at any sort of venue near the city in this time.

Reply #754498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no place in the city of Sydney, the government knocked the entertainment centre down and gave it to developers. Nearly all units now. Sydney basketball centres are crap.

Reply #754507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kestleman was on ABC radio yesterday and said DEC / Wilkinson's point negotiations were going well.
He wants $20mill to "do up the DEC" That's just a money grab IMO.
He has engaged the same architects that created MONA so that's a plus. There was front page news here over the weekend about a 3 pronged attack with the AFL, soccer and the NBL all being at the forefront of Government talks to ensure all those sports get "in".
Kestleman also wants $1.5mill per season from the Government.
The Wilkinson's point area is estimated at about $18mill so really he wants the land for nothing. Hardly surprising.
The reality is if the GCC don't sell it game over.
Newcastle, Canberra no way.
There will be an NBL1 side playing in the Blitz as well.
Draw released yesterday. Games to be played in Ulverstone, Devonport, Launceston, Kingston and the DEC.

Reply #754523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1.5 mil a year is small change compared to what they give the afl

Reply #754536 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

LK will own the new Tassie NBL team like he has with others, leaving the current huskies crew with no option but to fold as they have no cash!!

The Tassie NBL team all hinges on being given the land effectively for free with large government funding required to sustain it.

Reply #754546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newcastle, Canberra no way.

Why and where would you like the new NBL teams to go?

Reply #754550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Newcastle region has failed twice. The second attempt was an abject failure. Why the hell would the NBL want to go back?

Reply #754556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies gone I'd say, be interesting to what happens next nznbl season, don’t think they will be there.

Reply #754572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Newcastle region has failed twice. The second attempt was an abject failure. Why the hell would the NBL want to go back?

Many teams have failed over the years.
Newcastle and the nsw central coast have a lot of bball talent and fans. It needs to be done the right way for it to work. Same with Canberra. It might take time to get it ready for the NBL but it could work.

Why and where would you like the new NBL teams to go?

The NBL can only cater for so many teams
Maybe 14 or so

Reply #754595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies had a lot of teething problems and the NZBL has assured them that next season everything will be far better next season. Huskies signed a 5 year deal. If they walk now then they lose a bit of money and save a shit load on them flying to NZ and then flying the opposition in. Same goes for the NBL1 teams.
Then we go back to no elite basketball in the South.

I believe only 2000+ people have signed up as being interested in a Tassie team.
Not good enough. The interest in the Blitz will be important that's for sure.
There doesn't appear to be people clamouring to get on board and equally I don't think the Huskies did themselves any favours last season with bills being paid late.

Reply #754686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams that folded were along time ago and if you haven't noticed... the Nbl is run a bit different now days.

Wellington should be a certainty and I have no doubt Canberra, mewcatle region, Gold Coast, will be in the nbl once again.

Reply #754689 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

End of the day, to have an NBL team, you need three things.
A venue, crowds, and money.

Crowds are flexible. If you have enough cash, you can wait whilst they build. And not every team needs Wildcats' numbers to make it work.

In a very real sense, unless it already exists, your venue also comes down to money.

So you need some combination of government and a Private owner with deep pockets.
I think as a general rule, you need the government to stump up for the venue.

Canberra is an interesting one, because obviously as the Nation's Capital it has potential access to the biggest government largesse. (I know the ACT has its only weird little flower-powered government)

Reply #754694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would huskies play in nznbl if they aren't in the running for an nbl licence. A lot off cred was lost last year when the whole chargers thing blew up after a premiership year. Chargers had bigger crowds than huskies and huskies gave a lot tickets away. An nbl team in Tasmania would be great but not certain it’s feasible, I don’t see it happening.

Reply #754695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams that folded were along time ago and if you haven't noticed... the Nbl is run a bit different now days.

League
NBL

Founded

Folded

History
Townsville Suns
1993-1998
Townsville Crocodiles
1998–2016

Arena
Townsville Entertainment Centre (1993–2014, 2015–2016)
Townsville RSL Stadium (2014–2015)
Capacity
TEC - 5,257
RSL - 2,500

Team colors
Green, Yellow, Black, Light Blue

2016 isn't that long ago and the new model is a lot better now. Canberra, Newcastle,Gold Coast should have the chance to come back with the right model.

Reply #754706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2016 isn't that long ago and the new model is a lot better now. Canberra, Newcastle,Gold Coast should have the chance to come back with the right model

+ Tasmanian, it looks like it won't be the huskies unfortunately. It might be the best for the huskies to stay in nznbl and nbl1 and act like a feeder team.

Reply #754710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Chargers had bigger crowds than huskies and huskies gave a lot tickets away."

Yes the Huskies had special deals on, however the Huskies had 2000+ people in the first few games. The give aways were generally in Launceston. Kingston games initially OK crowd wise but in the end the free tix there got maybe 300.

Reply #754740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Point is the momentum stopped between chargers and huskies, no knowledge of why but it slowed.

Reply #754741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't mention tiwnsville on my next in list.

I personally think cairns and Townsville should be combined to make northern Taipans, the opposite end to southern huskies.

Reply #754742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't mention tiwnsville on my next in list

It was the last NBL team to fold.

A national NBL1 could be good for Townsville if it doesn't make it back to the NBL Maybe.

Reply #754748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville already have a team in the QBL which will become an NBL1 conference! Gee some people are thick.

Reply #754753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"no knowledge of why but it slowed" Because Bartlett was no longer required. So Bartlett kills the Chargers and once the Huskies worked out Bartletts agenda they had no further need of him.
Huskies were right. Bartlett's now running his own race and linked to the NBL bid with Kestleman.

Reply #754762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville already have a team in the QBL which will become an NBL1 conference! Gee some people are thick

Wow slow down there champ
No need for insults keyboard worrier

I didn't say there not in the qbl

Id like to see the NBL1 be a national league considering NBL stands for national Basketball League

Reply #754764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

which will become an NBL1 conference!

We haven't seen confirmation of this yet

Reply #754765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's no explanation why fan support dropped away. I think you will find there were two sides in killing the chargers. It’s easy to blame Bartlett but when he was running it every one got paid on time.

Reply #754769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet they had a massive debt.

Reply #754771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He took the chargers from debt to balanced books and a premiership in three seasons.

Reply #754816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure the books aren't balanced. AGM in Oct and Barlett has a lot of explaining to do.

Reply #763255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The LK group has announced their website for the future of the Wilkinsons Point development.
I am hearing he wants $25mill to develop the DEC. That's simply outrageous and he wants the Government to fund it.

Reply #763256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Knight comes out in the press supporting the Tassie NBL side in today's Mercury. Government still pondering. This deal was supposed to be done by Christmas one way or the other. Time is running out Mr Hodgman.

Reply #779541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I found it crazy how tassie can't afford anything, wtf they do down there?

Reply #779544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That comment proves that you know nothing about Tassie.

Reply #779550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've never been, 25 mill don’t seem a lot, but I’m vic. Every week there’s some multi mill recreational structure being built.

Reply #779554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The afl are probably in the background trying to screw this deal over with there idea that only money should be available for there teams. The longer this takes the less likely. LK might start looking elsewhere, he's no fool.

Reply #779558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Population of Vic, 4 mill? Population of Tassie just over 500,000 and the hottest property market still in Australia.
The Tassie government has a hospital is Hobart that could do with the money LK wants. The Tassie health system is rooted. There is lies the dilemma. Technically the Hcc owns the DEC and it loses about $1mill plus a year. Yes it needs upgrading and it will soon be the Government's problem. Don't fix the Dec great. NBL Basketball will never appear again in Tassie.
Fix the DEC and LK will supposedly run an NBK team and spend $200mill in that precinct and the health system misses out. That's the Government's dilemma.

Reply #779578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Front page news in fact.

"LOBBYING has begun for Federal Government funding to redevelop the Derwent Entertainment Centre - but any push needs a public commitment from the State Government.

Federal independent member for Clark Andrew Wilkie has approached Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg over the proposed redevelopment of the 30-year-old DEC under proposed new owner NBL boss Larry Kestelman.
He also plans to take it up with Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack, who controls regional development funding.

The venue is the key part of Mr Kestelman's wider plans for a $200 million sporting, restaurant and shopping precinct that would also see the state returning to the NBL – but none of the proposal will go ahead without taxpayer funding to bring the DEC into the 21st century.
An artist’s impression of the proposed Derwent Entertainment Centre upgrade.
An artist’s impression of the proposed Derwent Entertainment Centre upgrade.
Mr Wilkie, who also met with Mr Kestelman last week, said Mr Frydenberg was aware of the proposal and the development’s benefits to Hobart’s northern suburbs but for now remained non-committal.

Just how much taxpayer funding is required is still being negotiated.
"The impression I got from Larry is his proposal is well received by the State Government and is supported in principle and my initial soundings today suggest the Federal Government sees the merit in the project but no one has moved beyond that," Mr Wilkie said.
“I think the most important government actor at the moment is the State Government because if the State Government moves beyond this gesture of support and really clearly defines exactly what support it will provide, that will really unlock it and make it easier to pursue money in Canberra.
“It is very hard for me to pursue money in Canberra if the State Government hasn’t more clearly put their support behind it.”

The DEC is currently owned by the Glenorchy City Council and it is believed the council has agreed to sell it and the adjacent Wilkinsons Point to Mr Kestelman.

Mr Wilkie said he was a supporter of Mr Kestelman’s proposal but only as long as it met his four criteria:
A FAIR price for the DEC;
FORESHORE remaining in public hands;
ALL reasonable community concerns being addressed;

ANY public funding, state or federal, is strictly conditional on it being demonstrated there will be a strong benefit to the community, not Mr Kestelman.

Mr Wilkie said the unanswered question remained on what would happen to the DEC if it was not sold to Mr Kestelman.

“Even if it was to continue to be used as is, it would need quite a bit of investment,” he said.
Mr Frydenberg’s office was contacted for comment."

Reply #779619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart is overdue a quality shopping/entertainment precinct outside of the CBD. It is an obvious next step for a growing city that needs to start thinking about higher density infill. That makes me optimistic that the federal government will see the merit in it (assuming LK isn't taking the piss with how he is asking the funding to be divvied up).

Reply #779639 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Hobart is overdue alot of things....they've only been waiting for something to happen since 1804

Reply #779641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"LOBBYING has begun for more WA GST funding to redevelop the Derwent Entertainment Centre"

fixed

Reply #779643 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Scoop: secret deal between ScoMo and Jacquie (sp?) Lambie hinges on the DEC upgrade and return of the Tassie Devils to the NBL.

Reply #779674 | Report this post

Tassie Devil  
Years ago

Done.

Reply #779716 | Report this post

Tassie Devil  
Years ago

Todays paper said ""However, I would say the Government is running a very good, thorough process to make sure all factors are considered and everything is done in the right way.

“I think right now we are having good conversations with all the parties and everyone understands the timeline and seems optimistic to meet those timelines."

NBL owner Larry Kestelman says there is a February deadline for the State Government to commit to funding an upgrade of the Derwent Entertainment Centre. Picture: ZAK SIMMONDS
NBL owner Larry Kestelman says there is a February deadline for the State Government to commit to funding an upgrade of the Derwent Entertainment Centre. Picture: ZAK SIMMONDS
Mr Kestelman said a number of proposals were put forward for the DEC redevelopment from the very basics to a full-scale upgrade that would increase capacity, but he was more than satisfied with the compromised final agreement.

“The [redevelopment funding] figure is definitely settled and we've agreed with the Government on which option,” he said.

“There were a few different options to consider, but I won’t put it out there what it is. I had better leave that to them to announce and 100 per cent finalise if they do want to support it.”

Any publicly funded DEC redevelopment would include state, federal and Glenorchy City Council backing adding an extra layer of complexity to the deal.

Reply #779769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i hope it happens, but i'm a little dubious of anything relying on the government.

governments only want to associate with winners.
they would be looking at the current NBL wondering how the hell their little team is going to compete

Reply #779805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First it was a before Christmas dead line, now February, it's not happening folks. It should have happened but governments are useless. Time to start looking elsewhere.

Reply #779807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The announcement will happen pre xmas with no real funding issues for anyone.
An equitable 3 way split that should pass the pub test. Bring it on.
The idiots say "how the hell their little team is going to compete"
SEM Phoenix are doing it OK. A year or so nothing, now they are in and reasonably competitive. It's a done deal. #finally

Reply #779813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The announcement will happen pre xmas with no real funding issues for anyone.
An equitable 3 way split that should pass the pub test. Bring it on.
The idiots say "how the hell their little team is going to compete"
SEM Phoenix are doing it OK"

Congratulations on bringing new life to the phrase "Shit for Brains."

Equitable 3 way split between whom?
Kestleman, Larry, and LK?

Phoenix have money to burn, have access to great venues, and are located in the heartland of the most populous basketball City.
They're also backed by a Billionaire who can afford to waste his money, and walk away when he gets bored.

Reply #779830 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The NBL feels like the Aleague....the bubble will burst very shortly!

Reply #779831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again someone who knows nothing about the local scene now has yet again another wrong comment.
Stick to the fantasy stuff many because that's all you are spruiking.

Reply #779847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The A League is a shitful competition losing $million$ per season. The only thing propping them up for the moment is TV rights.

Reply #779873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone said "Phoenix have money to burn, have access to great venues, and are located in the heartland of the most populous basketball City."
Shame the crowd aren't turning up and last time I checked the Phoenix weren't in the 4.

If you have a new franchise you would have to plan to be in the finals the first season and beyond every year.
The first few games were well attended and I hope that all the free tix they give away sees people actually continue to attend.

Reply #779874 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Anon do you think the NBL hasn't been losing money?

The A League with the awesome new league, grew to quickly spend money on aging vet's and over hyped overseas players and the wheel stop about 6-7 years in when they couldn't afford the players/stadium deals etc and are only still alive thanks to a few rich owners and the luck of getting the TV deal before it started to fall apart.

Eventually rich people don't like loosing cash.....no major TV deal in the next 24 months and its history repeating!

Reply #779895 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'd like to think the NBL has a more sustainable approach than the ALeague.

If they manage to get the tassie development right, I think the NBL will be set with 10 teams for a while and it will be just about finding ways to reduce nonplayer costs for teams (a lot of that ie marketing and digital is probably taken on by the NBL)

Increasing crowds is important and they’re getting there with that. Total viewership numbers are probably reasonably high if you include streaming so that will keep sponsors interested. I don’t think a major tv deal is on the horizon, if anything networks have less to spend with the fragmenting of viewership with streaming services and AFL NRL and Cricket demand a billion each so they along with Oz Open and Olympics take 90% of the Sports pot already

Reply #779899 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The next 2 years and the expansion/expenditure decisions will make or break the league.

TV money is required but as mentioned by KET its a reducing pot and might not ever exist in a substantial way for the NBL, so how do teams make money?

Do they need to own the venues? Ticketing alone won't make them enough to be sustainable, particularly as they still give away alot of tickets!

Reply #779902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the team or LK ultimately own the DEC under what has been proposed?

Reply #779903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unsure

Reply #779904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unsure

Reply #779905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry. Double post. With the Dec being brought up to standard. I assume Lk will run it. Cheap rent ;)

Reply #779906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The government is going to own the venue and Kestleman will own the team until they find a owner,the announcement is due within days.I believe the plans include increasing the stadiums capacity which will also help it attract more big bands,so it will be a win for a lot of people.

Reply #781450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't talk about the Phoenix crowd until Knox arena is built.

Reply #781451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many years is that away?

Reply #781452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The deal for tassies nbl team wont be finalised and signed until mid January,i believe the dec is to be upgraded to hold 10000 which will be great for concerts and other sports and we will also get a brand new 20 million dollar community sports stadium nrxt door.

Reply #781562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next sorry

Reply #781569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10000 isn't needed. The Government has already committed $10mill to new sports facility there. Who will stump up the extra $10mill??

Reply #781581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have said they pouring 40 million into the dec and then the community centre will cost another 20million,the money is coming from the state and federal government and the rest from the glenorchy city council.The amount they were originally going to put into the dec was 20 to 30 million,but it is now 40 million for the dec alone so i would expect at that much it will mean they are increasing capacity at the dec.larry kestelman orginally said they were looking at several different upgrade proposals including capacity upto 10000.

Reply #781586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always been $20mill. Plus the $10mill already committed.
Last I heard was hcc 5 mill.tas gov 5mill and feds 10mill.

Reply #781598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have been saying 40 million for the dec and then another 20million for the community stadium,ithas been all over the news and papers,it has changed from the orginal amounts.

Reply #781601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the Dec needs to be increased to 10000 because it will attract more top music bands and in the future 5000 may not be enough for the nbl especially for finals.It makes sense to do it now so it isnt a problem down the track,you should always plan for the future.With plans to now pump 40 million into the venue instead of the orginal 20 million they had planned,that obviously means they plan on increasing the capacity considering they are pouring double the amount of money into it ,definitly exciting times ahead.

Reply #781783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The deal I knew of has clearly changed and it appears that the Dec might be expanded.
Hence the delays and price rise. Today's paper says no deal before Xmas and something mid Jan
Here's hoping it's finally done.

Reply #781820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With all the fires and tragedy around it's better waiting for a later time of announcements if it’s going to happen.

Reply #781830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt the delay is fire issues.

Reply #781834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You want a big media story, that's not happening now with the fires and Xmas.

Reply #781841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The delay is to with the plans for the redevelopment,they were orginally spending 20 million on it and now its 40 million including extra seating capacity.

Reply #781842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The delay is to with the plans for the redevelopment,they were orginally spending 20 million on it and now its 40 million including extra seating capacity.

Reply #781843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, that seems to be the reasoning now. As I said earlier it appears that the doubling of the expense of the DEC rebuild has caused the delay.

Reply #781920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes you did say that,i look foward to seeing what the redevelopment will look like.

Reply #781924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I certainly hope that when the deal goes thru the final DEC plans are released asap. After all the Gov will own it.

Reply #782014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the Tasmanian government do own it and hang onto it, not like in Nsw where every stadium, football park, of decent size is privately owned on government land.

Reply #782029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The GCC has unanimously voted to sell the DEC and Wilkinsons Point to the Government. Yay!!!!!

Reply #782373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's on then, great news.

Reply #782376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The deal is expected to be announced in a couple of weeks,i can hardly contain my excitement at thr moment,i will be getting a membership straight away,i reacon we can pull crowds of 4000 to 5000 a game.This has been a dream of Tasmanias since when i was a kid,so im soo excited about how great this will be.

Reply #783635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm excited to, hopefully it’ll be one up on the afl and maybe keep a few more players instead of switching to gayfl.

Reply #783646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the cricket last night was pathetic and the Hurricanes got smashed. A pathetic crowd of 6000+ was there to see the debacle.

Intesting also to hear not long ago that the current Premier of Tasmania Will Hodgman has resigned, effectively immediately.
He spoke last night on TV saying that negaotiatjions with Kestleman were to resume shortly. Let's hope thay do, cos this is the last thing that Tassie needs right now.
I am sure Gutwein is doing the hard yards on this one and I hear it's certainly been tough in the trenches dealing with Kestleman.

Reply #786526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5000 at the cricket yesterday. Very bad.

However, Tassie has a new Premier and of today. Peter Gutwien. He's the dude who's been in negotiations with Kestleman since the start of the DEC stuff.

He said in his presser on his appointment as part of his speech that "We can and will find a way for people to play in National Competitons" Sounds very positive and here's hoping the announcment will be made soon. There is only 6 weeks left to get it done.

Reply #787839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big bash crowds have been poor every where, basketball so much more entertaining.

Reply #787842 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

CA so dumb - put cricket behind a paywall so nobody knew int odi and t20 knew it was on, put big bash on the in the arvo on weekdays as if anyone can go.

Reply #787860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 seasons ago the Hurricanes were getting 16000+? to their games. They have a shit side over the last few seasons and people are clearly staying away in droves. Monday games certainly don't help and why they have agreed to that I can't fathom.

Reply #787881 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Strikers games have been empty too, before they were getting 40-50k to games.

Reply #787926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not just Tassie that's for sure.

Reply #787952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glenorchy City Council meets Monday night. They will vote then about the sale of the DEC and land to Kestleman. Expect an announcement late Monday night or Tuesday morning. Based on the article today in the paper the GCC are "The Glenorchy City Council's planning authority voted on Monday night to initiate changes to the planning scheme relating to the Wilkinsons Point area.

The $200m development proposed by National Basketball League boss Larry Kestelman’s LK Group is expected to also pave the way for a Tasmanian team.

The council voted to create a draft amendment to the planning scheme to include a new specific area plan for Wilkinsons Point."

Job done hopefully.

Reply #793973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From today's Mercury.

"The complex deals involving the Glenorchy City Council, the Tasmanian Government and NBL boss Larry Kestelman could be on the verge of completion, with the first domino set to fall.
|
February 18, 2020 3:33pm
Glenorchy Mayor Kristie Johnston says council will vote on the sale of the DEC next Monday. Picture: LUKE BOWDEN
Glenorchy Mayor Kristie Johnston says council will vote on the sale of the DEC next Monday.
THE first domino in the deal to see the rebirth of a Tasmanian NBL team is on the verge of falling with the sale of the Derwent Entertainment Centre potentially just a week away.

Glenorchy City Council mayor Kristie Johnston has revealed a decision on the sale of the DEC to the State Government will be addressed at next Monday's council meeting.

It comes after the GCC’s planning authority voted to initiate changes to the planning scheme relating to the Wilkinsons Point precinct last night.

Should council agree to transfer ownership of the venue — and the government signs off on the purchase — it would complete the first part of the complex deal involving the two parties and NBL owner Larry Kestelman.
Kestelman has submitted an offer to purchase Wilkinsons Point from GCC, where he is proposing a $200 million shopping, retail and hotel precinct.

In return he will hand the 10th NBL licence to the state for the 2021-22 season, forging the path for a Tasmanian team at the highest level for the first time since the Devils dissolved in 1996.

Taxpayers will fund the required $40 million upgrade of the DEC to ensure the building is compliant for not only NBL matches but world class events, while a further $20 million of taxpayers’ money will be used to fund a multi-sport indoor facility next door — half of which was promised by the State Government prior to last year’s election.

The Government will retain ownership of the DEC and lease it to Kestelman, who will initially run the Tasmanian team until he finds a suitable owner.

"We are looking at the sale of the Derwent Entertainment Centre at our council meeting on Monday night," Johnston told ABC local radio.

“We hope to have a very big announcement on Tuesday morning.

“At last night’s planning authority meeting we considered initiating the planning scheme amendment for the greater Wilkinsons Point/Derwent Entertainment Centre precinct.

“That will be out on public consultation early next week.”

Kestelman, who is understood to have been in Hobart yesterday to continue discussions with the government, told the Mercury last week a deal would need to be finalised by the end of February.

Basketball Tasmania chief executive Chris McCoy attended last weekend’s NBL awards night and also met with Kestelman, and is confident an official announcement is not far away.

“There are record attendances in the NBL, the league continues to grow from strength to strength so it is an ideal time for Tasmania to join,” he said.

Monday night is the night!!!

Reply #794218 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Exciting times.

Reply #794222 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm so looking forward to some good news on Monday

Reply #794226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(The Government will retain ownership of the DEC and lease it to Kestelman, who will initially run the Tasmanian team until he finds a suitable owner.)

It was my understanding that LK wanted to own the land and building?

Reply #794234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure that the Government wants to reatin the DEC ownership.
I don't think LK knows anything about running stadiums.
Monday night bring it on!

Reply #794258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will they name the team so early?

Reply #794259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty hard to do that when the deal hasn't been done yet.
How about they get established first. I would have thought a name was the furthest thing from their mind right now. Maybe get some office premises and staff first!

Reply #794277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More positive news from the CEO of the THA and a board member of the advisory commitee for the NBL Tasmanian bid said
"BASKETBALL'S booming social media profile will provide the platform to showcase Tasmania globally should it re-enter the NBL, according to advisory board member Steve Old.

With the deadline looming for the Government to sign off on the deal with league CEO Larry Kestelman on the purchase of the Derwent Entertainment Centre and Wilkinsons Point — Kestelman wants a decision by the end of the month — Old said it was an opportunity too good to pass up.

The complex deal, involving the Glenorchy City Council, would see Kestelman obtain Wilkinsons Point, where he has proposed a $200 million redevelopment.

Taxpayers will fund a $40 million upgrade of the DEC, which will then be leased to Kestelman, with Tasmania to be handed the 10th NBL licence and rejoin the competition in 2021-22.

Old, who is the Tasmanian Hospitality Association chief executive, said having a Tasmanian team back in the league for the first time in 25 years would be a boon for the state.

"You are going to get people who travel with the sides or watch their team play but you have to think nowadays how big social media is," Old told the Mercury.

“The social media side of basketball in the NBL is huge, because of the ex-NBA owners and the likes of potential No. 1 NBA draft pick LaMelo Ball playing in the competition.

“The engagement they have got in America and other parts of the world now, imagine the benefits Tasmania can get through these markets if we play it right to expose our state to the rest of the world, basically through basketball.
“Our cricketers have always done us proud, we have got the Australian Test captain [Tim Paine], we had a previous Test captain [Ricky Ponting].

“We have done amazing things in cricket and the cricketers continue to lead the way — we could do the same thing in basketball.

“We can get these role models into schools and get participation up, making basketball the number one participation sport in the world.”

Old has seen first hand the growth of the sport, having been president of the Hobart Chargers from 2007 until 2011.

With participation numbers surging he urged the Government to close to not miss out on a golden opportunity.

“NBL and basketball in this country and New Zealand has never been stronger and we now have a red hot opportunity for Tasmania to be part of the second best league in the world.

“We have been striving for an AFL side for a long time, we have spent millions of dollars trying to get reports done to get a team, we have spent millions of dollars every year to fund other teams to come into Tasmania.

“Now we have an opportunity with the owner of the NBL, a man who makes the decisions, to have a team of our own and we should be grasping it as best we can.”
Bring it on!

Reply #794371 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Well at least $40M for an upgrade sounds a bit more decent than earlier numbers.

But does this mean that it will still be owned by the council?

Reply #794376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afl won't be happy, especially if some of the millions they get from government starts to slow down. Go Tasmanian basketball.

Reply #794377 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

AFL have been taking the piss with Tassie for too long, so I too will be very happy if the NBL team goes ahead and Tasmanian sports fans can support a national team that's actually theirs and not just a Melbourne team swooping in for some cash a few times each year.

Reply #794382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you actually read anything here Dazz? Clearly not otherwise you wouldn't ask such a stupid question. Here's the answer you want from above.
"The Government will retain ownership of the DEC and lease it to Kestelman, who will initially run the Tasmanian team until he finds a suitable owner."

Reply #794390 | Report this post

Tassie Fan  
Years ago

Interesting that on the WIN TV news tonight that Brent Costelloe suggested that the GCC meeting on Monday may not endorse the sale of the DEC. He said it's not on the agenda for that Council meeting. He also said to expect an announcemnt later in the week. Interesting.

Reply #794400 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If the best quote you can get is from the head of the Tasmanian Hospitality Association who has no say in the final decision who basically keeps repeating "AMERICA FCK YEAH derp derp social media" in each sentence it shows you're struggling. AFL has probably meddled in this for the DCC all of a sudden to go cold and not even have it on the agenda.

Reply #794415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can bet the afl will be meddling, they don't like competition. Stand up Tasmania.

Reply #794418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the latest. TV news from WIN TV TAS.
https://www.facebook.com/WINNewsTasmania/videos/602786920285619/

Reply #794419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stick to Perth stuff. You know nothing about the situation in Tasmania.
Oldie is one of a group of elite businessmen who are on the NBL advisory board. Without this group (and make no mistake) the whole process would have gone to shit.
As CEO of the THA he is interested in the wide reach of the NBL and tourism in Tasmaia. I thought that was obvious. Not some weird Yank bashing as you try to make it into. Clearly like to many here you haven't kept up with it all let alone looked at the WIN TV item.

Reply #794459 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No, I didn't watch the WIN TV clip because it was linked to after I submitted my post.

Good news if Old has some influence in the process. The way he was quoted by the journalist was odd though.

We all want a team in Tasmania.

Reply #794524 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"The Government will retain ownership of the DEC"

And?
That neither answers my question, nor explains why it's "stupid".

If we take that statement literally, then its saying the DEC WILL still be owned by the Council, which would make the answer to my "stupid" question "yes."

But sure, it always makes sense to spend 50 words abusing somebody for asking a question, than to use 10 words and simply answer it.

Reply #794532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Government will retain ownership of the DEC and lease it to Kestelman, who will initially run the Tasmanian team until he finds a suitable owner."
The GCC is a local council only. The Government runs the state. So THE STATE will own the DEC.

Reply #794534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Running out of time and why it's being left to the last minute I fail to understand. Thursday or Friday is my mail.

Reply #794618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Today's update from The Mercury.

"THE NBL deadline is fast approaching and the Tasmanian Government has been given a clear message - don't stuff it up.

It is understood the agreement between NBL owner Larry Kestelman and the Tasmanian Government is in the final throes and could be announced later this week.

Kestelman set the end-of-February deadline for a deal that would put Tasmania back in Australia’s best basketball competition and give Wilkinsons Point a $200 million restaurant, hotel and retail development in return for a $40 million taxpayer-funded upgrade of the Derwent Entertainment Centre and a $20 million taxpayer-funded indoor multisports centre.

Kestelman has been in constant negotiations with the Tasmanian Government and said he would need to start work by the end of this month to have the team ready to go in the 2021-22 season.

Independent federal MP for Clark Andrew Wilkie said it was up to the State Government to get the deal done.

"I have been in touch with Larry Kestelman this morning and he tells me that the DEC deal is still on track to be done by the end of the month or very close to that," Mr Wilkie said.

“Let’s hope the State Government doesn’t stuff this up.”

He said the development would be a terrific coup for Hobart’s northern suburbs, if it was done properly, and has also received backing from the state opposition.

“This proposal would be fantastic for southern Tasmania,” he said.

“I’m right behind it but only so long as a fair price is paid for the land, the foreshore remains in public hands, all reasonable community concerns are addressed and that any public funding, state or federal, is strictly conditional on it being demonstrated there will be a strong benefit to the community.”

The complexity of the deal – involving the State Government, the Federal Government (funding) and the Glenorchy City Council (sale of the DEC and surrounding Wilkinsons Point) and Mr Kestelman – as well as a change of premier from Will Hodgman to Peter Gutwein has caused some delays in an agreement.

Mr Gutwein said negotiations were in the final stages but no agreement had been reached yet.

“I would hope that I’d be able to have more to say in the coming days towards the end of the week,” he said."

Reply #794922 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Key comment "Fair price paid for the land"

Reply #794924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair price, lol
What developer has paid a fair price in the last twenty years. Sydney and Melbourne given to developers for for toll ways, casinos and units on foreshore land.
Still don't think it will happen.

Reply #794927 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Anon said it best - Developers and fair price don't usually go hand in hand.

In the end the developer wants to make money, they aren't there for the good of the community but only themselves which is fair enough as it is there business.

Reply #794929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$20mill sounds like a fair price to me.

Reply #794940 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

There was an official notice published in the Mercury today by Glenorchy City Council, to say that they will hold a special meeting on the sale of the DEC and Wilkinson's Point at 12 noon on Friday the 28th.

Reply #794957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cutting it fine if the cut off date is February, lucky it's a leap year.

Reply #794959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes the special meeting should be the announcement of the sale of the DEC to the Government. Then the Government will announce that Tassie will be back in the NBL. That may happen Monday it seems.

Reply #794965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Mercury lateset.

"THE first piece of the NBL puzzle is about to fall in place with the imminent sale of the Derwent Entertainment Centre.

The Glenorchy City Council has put a notice in today's Mercury about a special council meeting this Friday at noon.

"The purpose of the meeting is for Council to consider the potential sale of the Derwent Entertainment Centre and Wilkinsons Point," it reads.

The DEC will be sold to the Tasmanian Government which will then invest $40 million in an upgrade to bring it up to NBL standards, while Wilkinsons Point will be sold to NBL owner and property investor Larry Kestelman."

Reply #795016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Mercury latest. It's a mere formality now Tassie will be back in!

"WILL it be a Devils dunk, a Pride dime or even a Team Tasmania three-pointer?

It is believed the NBL is currently toying with a short list of potential names for the state's return to the competition as an announcement looms.

Hobart’s Calvin Talford hangs of the basket during a Adelaide 36ers vs Hobart Devils NBL match in 1994.
Hobart’s Calvin Talford hangs of the basket during a Adelaide 36ers vs Hobart Devils NBL match in 1994.
It is understood any name must contain the word Tasmania, with the "Tasmanian Devils" an obvious link to the state’s last NBL team that folded in 1996, the “Tasmanian Pride” inspired by the red lion in the state’s flag, while “Team Tasmania” and “Tasmania BC” (for Basketball Club) are aimed at linking the entire island behind the new club and could have a devil as a mascot.
The issue with the Devils is it is the name adopted by all Tasmanian representative Australian rules teams and the proposed name for a Tasmanian AFL club.

But there is no doubt the plan for NBL re-entry is starting to come together.

A key piece of the puzzle will be placed on Friday after the Glenorchy City Council gave notice of a special council meeting to “consider the sale of the Derwent Entertainment Centre and Wilkinsons Point........”

Reply #795045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly hears the name SPIRIT a while ago. I laughed then and now.

Reply #795048 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Tasmania Pride sucks as a name as does Team Tasmania and Tasmania BC - this isn't Europe where basketball clubs are attached to soccer clubs

Tassie Tigers, Devils taken

Reply #795050 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Tasmania Pride sounds like a parade for the LBGTIQSZPY community

Reply #795055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should name the team the Tasmanian Tigers! Wouldn't that upset some people haha

Reply #795062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies, now that worked well.

Reply #795064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Native animals of Tasmania include:
- Tasmanian Devil
- Quoll
- Rosella
- New Holland Mouse
- Australian Swamp Rat
- Growling Grass Frog

I would support naming the team the Tasmanian Swamp Rats or the Tasmanian Growling Grass Frogs

Reply #795068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chance to be a little different.
I vote for The Islanders of Tasmania.

Reply #795073 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Islanders was the name of Hobart's former WNBL team.

Has to be Devils.

Reply #795090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Devils and Tigers already taken for those that clearly don't know.

Reply #795104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it wasn't already taken by the NBL1 club, Thunder would actually work very well.

Reply #795121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep.

Reply #795167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the real deal, all in black and white and an interesting read. This is why it's taken so long. It's on like Donkey Cong.

"http://glenorchy.infocouncil.biz/Open/2020/02/OC_28022020_AGN_EXTRA.PDF?fbclid=IwAR2Onxwj51ENHwBYO1Q6uOP8VssvGd2x_vTYzjKZ5lW1Wc3ivrQEiV-LKj8"

Reply #795235 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No wonder there were delays:

Potential conflicts of interest

Four Alderman have previously abstained from voting on the sale of the DEC and Wilkinsons Point, due to concerns about potential conflict of interest rising from:

•from involvement in Tasmanian Government working groups and with facilities that provide sporting and recreational facilities
•involvement with the University of Tasmania.

Council sought advice regarding these potential conflicts of interest from an independent governance expert who has confirmed that these do not represent conflicts of interest.

Reply #795240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big announcement tomorrow that everyone will be happy about.

Reply #795258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep the DEC will be sold.

Reply #795294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The abc news let it slip today that the Tasmanian team is going ahead in 22

Reply #795295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which NBL1 Team is Thunder? I know of NBL1 North team Logan Thunder. And NBL1 North has Sunshine Coast Phoenix and NBL has SEM Phoenix. Not sure an NBL1 team can restrict the use of the name Thunder. I like it!

Reply #795304 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

North-West Tasmania Thunder.

Reply #795309 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

DEC to be sold to state government.

Still going to be very interesting fine print on Wilkinson's part of this development/proposal as that income is underpinning the team as it will loose alot of cash early on.

Reply #795315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's never been a problem for any of the other teams kestleman owns. Not sure why it will be now. It will be years before anything is built out there on the point. Worst place in Hobart to be building. That's why most of MONA is built underground ;)

Reply #795319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can they use the devils name again, that would be great. Hearing pride being bandied about.

Reply #795334 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

they can wear rainbow colours and put a game on in Sydney during Mardi Gra how inclusive!

Reply #795337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's got to do with lions. Should have stuck with devils

Reply #795338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania Terror and tap into some of the dark aspects of Mona/Dark Mofo with the branding.

Reply #795354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Maybe it's got to do with lions. Should have stuck with devils)

Do they have lions at the mardi gra?

Reply #795364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If so - which is believed to be an almost certainty given the annual costs to the Glenorchy ratepayer and the lack of an alternative buyer for the substandard facility – a Tasmanian NBL team could be announced by as soon as 2pm...."

It's on.!!!

Reply #795383 | Report this post

Dave Marshall  
Years ago

The Mercury just reported that Larry Kestelman is flying into Hobart tomorrow, so the announcement of the new team should follow straight on from the GCC meeting.

As for Pride, I believe that's a reference to the lion on the state flag. Spirit would work if they're angling for a sponsorship from TT-Line (if we ignore Bendigo and the final incarnation of the Razorbacks).

Reply #795390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As for Pride, I believe that's a reference to the lion on the state flag." Yep that's what The Mercury reported the other day. See above.

Reply #795398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to know where the new Tassie side will be run from. Disturbingly it may be an arm of the NBL / Melb United. Nno local people involved with the advisory board or former NBL people have been invited to the press conference today. Disappointing.

Reply #795424 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Anon it makes sense to utilize the resources/marketing of NBL HQ/United office to save on costs just like Brisbane was as effectively the guy bank rolling it works from there so it makes sense.

As the club develop and grow then new owners get invovled and move the admin etc down to tassie.

Its my understanding the will have a small office in Hobart but more community development etc

Reply #795425 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Have no doubt that at the moment LK's hand is on the NBL, the Bullets, the 36ers, United and eventually Tasmania.

In a well run established league like the AFL that would be a serious issue. For the NBL it's sheer necessity.

To an extent all NBL clubs and the NBL are reliant on each other. Sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen, too many different voices, too many directions will hinder the ability to do more than talk. An overriding voice allows for synergy for the overall benefit.

A dominant direction means agility and that's what the NBL needs to survive at the moment.

Each may have their own "best" direction for their own interests, however that becomes reliant on others to do things a certain way or neglects the strength of others even though it's in the overall benefit for every club to be stable and strong. It becomes game theory a little bit.

The risk is 1) stakeholders get annoyed at being prevented from going in their "better" direction for themselves and 2) the competence of the one overriding voice, it needs to be a good competent one.

At the moment, it is a good overriding voice.

Reply #795426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Afl got hand in a number of struggling clubs, Gold Coast, giants, norths, bulldogs, even Brisbane. Gold Coast and giants don't survive without afl money, they just don’t advertise it.

Reply #795428 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"The issue with the Devils is it is the name adopted by all Tasmanian representative Australian rules teams and the proposed name for a Tasmanian AFL club"

Well they haven't made that AFL team yet, so fuck them. Tasmanian Devils would be the name I take.

Reply #795429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will need some local representatives or won't survive, certainly even if they all got report back to LK. A local coach would be a good start and ceo.
Stewart and that ex premier bloke Bartlett would be starting point.

Reply #795430 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBL expected to announce team in Tassie to start for 2021/22 season later today.

Reply #795431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes LC. It's in todays paper. The Chargers are the driving force for development work in the southern part of the state and they do B Tas work as well.
There has been no communication from the NBL to the Chargers. Zero.
If their is no local involvement and the Charegers are ignored that spells trouble. It's also rumpured that LK didnt even know of the North West Thunder being in NBL1.
Whilst it's exciting times ahead there needs to be a few hard questions that need to be asked.
Marketing as well. They haven't spoken to many locals for sponsorship. I know one who was approached and it was immediately rejected.

Legs on the ground is what is needed. Right now.

Reply #795434 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Afl got hand in a number of struggling clubs, Gold Coast, giants, norths, bulldogs, even Brisbane. Gold Coast and giants don't survive without afl money, they just don't advertise it.

100% why North should have moved to Gold Coast, Bulldogs to GWS and the league kept at 16 clubs.

AFL asked the question, but you can't "entice" that move, you have to force it and if you can't force it, you end up having more "struggling" clubs.

Reply #795438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, i don't think you can just go to another organisation/business and say 'Well you're not top of you're industry, to we're going to take your intellectual property and branding'

Reply #795439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, they got have locals involved or it's dead before it starts, Kestlmen can still take control but make sure you have good locals from north and south.

Reply #795440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So LK still bringing in foreign workers for the demolition/construction of the Dec?

Reply #795451 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

On the proposed name of teams from Tasmania, I have no problem with Thunder or Devils, great names to adopt and I'm sure locals would be happy with those proposals.

There should be no fear of cross-competition or other codes at all, Melbourne Tigers were happily using Tigers for decades and there are many other examples too I am certain.

If Tassie representative sides or other national teams are called Devils, once again, that should not be an issue, we have Boomers used broadly outside our national team in many sporting codes (including hoops)!

Reply #795549 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Mind you, love the Huskies too...

Reply #795550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a poll on The Mercury, asking for votes for the team name. List includes Devils, Pride, Team Tasmania, Tasmania BC, Tasmanian Huskies, Tasmaniacs, Quolls, Rangers, and Thylacines.

Reply #795565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should be the Chargers.

Reply #795568 | Report this post

Reply #799527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #799528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From The Mercury.

""I made it perfectly clear in terms of the economic and fiscal update I delivered a couple of weeks ago, the funding for the upgrade of the DEC is in those bottom line numbers," Mr Gutwein said.

“We are ready to begin work on that when it is appropriate, but we are working through with Mr Kestelman at the moment on the final arrangements and importantly the obligations that each party would have.

“I think what taxpayers would want would be a guarantee that if we upgrade the DEC, that in 12 months time we will have a team.”

Time for Larry to put up or shut up.

Reply #806557 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"I think what taxpayers would want would be a guarantee that if we upgrade the DEC, that in 12 months time we will have a team."

I like that basketball is actually so important to this premier.

Reply #806565 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

There should be no fear of cross-competition or other codes at all, Melbourne Tigers were happily using Tigers for decades and there are many other examples too I am certain.

Yeah well, if wishes were piss, I'd be always drunk.

Apart from the obvious, that you just don't do it, it comes down to all manner of problems with trademarks and IP generally.

There's also the fact that you just don't want to get into a legal stoush with either AFL or Cricket. At best its a waste of money.
Keep in mind that Townsville got dudded just because the NBA sells licensed clothing in Australia.

It's problematic enough just getting your own trademarks registered, but you've then got the problem of every time somebody wants to produce a t-shirt, you have to run the gauntlet. In Townsville's case, they couldn't produce anything Basketball themed with the Suns name or logo.

Reply #806567 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Keep in mind that Townsville got dudded just because the NBA sells licensed clothing in Australia.// In Townsville's case, they couldn't produce anything Basketball themed with the Suns name or logo.
Literally never happened. They made that story up because they wanted to change names.

Reply #806569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just had a look at above post about proposed names.

There's a poll on The Mercury, asking for votes for the team name. List includes Devils, Pride, Team Tasmania, Tasmania BC, Tasmanian Huskies, Tasmaniacs, Quolls, Rangers, and Thylacines.

Huskies actually sounds alright. Tasmaniacs or Thylacines, really???

Reply #806574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pass on the Huskies. They are plying their thing in NZ now.
I must say I like the idea of the Lions. Related to the flag.

Reply #806579 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I like the Demons personally as a name, I think it stands out as strong and we just introduced a Phoenix so surely it wouldn't be that controversial.

Interested what the mascot would be but surely it would be better than whatever Phoenix and the Breakers have, heck Murray Magpie seems cooler than them...

If they were Tasmaniacs then could they have like a recreation of the Magic Man of someone crazy and judging by the states history especially of the convicts in Port Arthur, they do crazy well.

Reply #806599 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Not much rolls off the tongue after Tasmania does it?

Tasmania Devils is always the best option - Tassie Devils feels right.

Pride, Team Tas, Tasmania BC, Quolls, Rangers etc. nope, terrible.

Huskies? Links closely with that team which just bailed to Auckland.

Reply #806605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South East appointed their coach the season before they came into the league. Should tassie do something similar? Who you got?

Bevo
Stewart
Radford
Forde
Caporn
Braswell
Anstey

Reply #806608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thylacines.

Reply #806610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Radford lmao, Capon lol. No way should either these two go near coaching a new team. Stewart done well with chargers and huskies, is Tasmanian and deserves first crack. Radford, ha, ha, ha .

Tassie Devils is good.

Reply #806637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the 122nd time Devils is NOT available.

Reply #806667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart no way.
Had a loaded seabl team and got out coached in nznbl.

Reply #806672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick Downer should be considered in this bunch.

Stewart
Radford
Forde
Caporn
Braswell
Anstey

Reply #806677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart hardly had a loaded seabl, they were rank outsiders at seasons start, they beat Nunawading and Ballarat that were loaded. Huskies ran fifth and with there travelling th at was a good result.
Stewart with Nash as an assistant would be a great start for the Tasmanian people to get behind.

Reply #806690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way! Hard pass.

Reply #806695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Biwer

Reply #806698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Experienced NBL coach with contacts! No state league coaches to coach a new franchise, we'll end up with players like Tre Nichols getting stomped by Bryce and Roberson.

Bevo
Forde
Nielsen
American coach maybe

Reply #806713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has Neilsen done to deserve a HC position anywhere? Forde? Who is he.? Bevo seems to be problematic FWIH.
Stewart and Nash good combo but not NBL level yet.

Reply #806736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they are NBL coaches for one.
Stewart is not.

Reply #806749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamie O'Loughlin is another one.
Scott Roth

Reply #806750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is an nbl coach till they coach in the nbl, f..k me every coach starts elsewhere even Gleeson.

Stewie and Nash are the way to go.

Reply #806763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO way. Let them be assistants for a few seasons and then see what transpires. Don't throw them under the bus at the start of their NBL careers.
Remember Marty Clarke and Radford? That went well. Anstey, Dmac, Flinn, Cotter, and I am sure there's many others I have missed.
The only one that's a maybe is Bevo and one other I could think of but won't name here.

Reply #806764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewie will get more T's than the rest of the league coaches combined

Reply #806768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke, Radford and Cotter came out of basketball Australia programs, hardly comparable to Stewart and Nash who are quality ex players that no what's it about. Flinn has another year yet, yes Anstey and dmac didn’t have success but neither had to much talent to work with either.

Reply #806774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So LK gotta run three teams now and build tassie as well?! Damn guy gonna be flat out

Reply #806788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So LK gotta run three teams now and build tassie as well?! Damn guy gonna be flat out

Reply #806789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes that's why the Tassie Gov't is all over them before they spend the tax payers money.

Reply #806801 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754