ALIAS
Years ago

GILAS fans *rolls eyes*

Anyone read the comments from GILAS fans? How insufferable are these people? I get they are proud but they suck.

Topic #45827 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

We already know.

Reply #758930 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Some context might help us understand what this thread is all about.

Reply #758933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read any of comment sections on "fiba basketball world cup" Facebook posts - particularly those that have anything to do with the Philippines or Australia - and you'll see.

Reply #758935 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Yep. They're everywhere and have been for years now. They'll comment on games between countries that aren't even in any way relevant to them talking about Gilas would smash them. I'm actually about to watch the upcoming Gilas game just so I can savor the tastes of Italy smashing them.

Reply #758936 | Report this post

ALIAS  
Years ago

The fans are worse than the team.

Reply #758937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When they beat us this year in u16s, we are going to hear it until the end of time.

Reply #758938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're Filipinos. Enough said.

Reply #758940 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Should be easy to taunt them with the start to this game.

Reply #758942 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Serious question: could the Gilas be the worst team in this world cup? They qualified last through Asia.

Reply #758943 | Report this post

ALIAS  
Years ago

37-8 hahaha jeez they are a joke.

Reply #758944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, down by 29 in 1st qtr.

Reply #758945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go Philippines!!! At this rate they might lose by 100 points. Already down by 29 at end of first quarter!!!

Reply #758946 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Oh I hope this continues at this pace. For everything their team, federation and fans did to our boys, I wish them nothing but an unending enslaught of humiliation.

Reply #758947 | Report this post

ALIAS  
Years ago

They won't get within 20 points of any average team.

Reply #758948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very clear why they have to play so dirty - they can't play basketball.

Reply #758949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Down by 38 at half. Looks likely a 75 point loss.

Reply #758950 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Down by 38 at the half. Absolutely hilarious. I've been Nelson Munce for the past hour.

Reply #758951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Filos are an absolute joke. Bunch of wannabe NBA players who are little more than streetballers that play no semblance of defence.

Reply #758953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can a Italy miss out on a place in the last 2 world cups and a team like the Philippines can get in??? There is something dramatically wrong with the qualification process.

Reply #758954 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

#LetJordanClarksonPlayAsLocal
#gilaspilipinas

Reply #758956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

0 from 16 for three point attempts for Philippines. Laughable!!

Reply #758958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much worse would they be without Blatche? Can't play a 5 foot 7 bloke at centre

Reply #758959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How can a Italy miss out on a place in the last 2 world cups and a team like the Philippines can get in??? There is something dramatically wrong with the qualification process."

Remember how we could qualify to the World Cup by playing against New Zealand a couple times, obviously a flawed system (although judging by the most recent qualifying where both teams topped their qualifying groups, they were more worthy of qualifying than the 2nd team from Asia if not the 1st)

Reply #758962 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

The Gilas are the joke of the Basketball world

Reply #758988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their basketball team don't make any notable moves, so their fans have to compensate

Reply #758989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gilas basketball fans are seriously the biggest nuffies in all of sports imo. I get so triggered seeing their nonsense comments clog up my social media feed on basketball posts.

The whole "passion" thing is false imo, i think they're just straight up delusional.

Reply #758990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys have really let a bunch of casuals fuel your hatred for their team? Just avoid the comment section or anything related to their team. It's as simple as that tbh. Why was this even worth a thread on the NBL forum??? Besides spite.

Reply #758991 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Why didn't you take your own advice and avoid this thread then?

Reply #759002 | Report this post

Reality 2.0  
Years ago

I am looking forward to Serbia beat them by 150 points

Reply #759003 | Report this post

Reality 2.0  
Years ago

They are truly the most ignorant fools, last couple of months those fools were going on about how Andre (can't pass, defend, run, or shoot) Blatche would lead them to a medal.

Despite playing Serbia and Italy.

I can not wait until Angola beats them by 20 and they can fuck off to the PBA and shoot some nba threes. Which they cant make

Reply #759004 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't really get the obsession with their team either. Yes, they should've been banned from the WC but they're weren't and they're shit. Why bother gloating over them losing to Italy they lost to the 36ers last week, they're trash.

If you know anything about the Philippines it's a very poor country beyond the comprehension of most Aussies I suspect. It's crime ridden they have armed guards in McDonald's for example they don't have much in life to look forward to but love basketball and clearly live through their national team.

They've never been any good at basketball they're always just making up the numbers just ignore them if they carry on too much there's no need to bathe in another person's misery.

Reply #759008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some ignorant fools here.
Phillipines is a great place. Been there a few times.
Yes they are crazy fans and yes they currently have a crap team.

Reply #759009 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

They're insignificant if it wasn't for the brawl last year no one would talk about them.

Reply #759010 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

They have managed to do one thing the Australian mens team haven't, win a medal at the World Championships.

Sure, it was sixty years ago, but from that period of success grew a proud history.

Reply #759011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you Zodiac, there are some dumb people around here that no nothing about the world. Generally Philippines people are very good and kind hearted.
Let's all move on, to much dwelling on a stupid incident.

Reply #759016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure most of us have grown up or at least been around Filipinos our entire lives in Australia. I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve gotten along with them just fine and they’re some of the nicest people I’ve met. One of my Filipino friends is a huge NBL and Gilas fan, but he says that he really only sees Gilas having a decent chance in beating Angola it other a couple of the lower FIBA ranked teams they beat in some exhibitions. Yes there are a lot of ignorant trolls, but going back and forth with them or taking their comments seriously only fuels a hatred for them that you probably shouldn’t even have. Not all Gilas fans are delusional, and the comments of casuals shouldn’t been taken as facts. Just focus on Boomers basketball.

Reply #759036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Edit for the post above*^ Angola and a couple of the lower FIBA ranked teams

Reply #759037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They have managed to do one thing the Australian mens team haven't, win a medal at the World Championships.

Sure, it was sixty years ago, but from that period of success grew a proud history."

Yeah, Chile won bronze medals both sides of that medal and they haven't qualified to anything since.

Reply #759038 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Their blind patriotism is neither an uncommon phenomena, nor a cause for disdain.

I take issue with the the percentage of them that take great pride in their team's involevement in the Manila brawl, to the extent they constantly feel the need to comment on most Australian-related posts how we're a nation of are thugs, post the imagine of Sobey being punched in the face by an official etc.

Any of them feeling a desire to take a swing at Kickert is pretty understandable: that was a dog act from him.

If only so many of the Gilas fans weren't completely incapable of introspection regarding their team's involvement in the brawl and general lack of basketball ability. Then I probably wouldn't even notice them.

Reply #759041 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's not about them supporting their team or voicing their support though. It's about the incessant mockery of teams far superior to theirs, and for how their basketball federation behaved after the "Melee in Manilla". They released a documentary to excuse their gangland behaviors for crying out loud. "Yeah, we tried to punctured Chris Goulding's lung with a chair, but did you see him nudge me on that cut?!?"

I have nothing against filos as human beings outside of basketball, but their national team can go fuck itself. They should have been banned from international play for a decade for the way they behaved and seeing as they haven't been, I want them to suffer every game for that long and wish they were.

Reply #759047 | Report this post

Krazy  
Years ago

Just like Indian cricket fans, all over social media in plague proportions.

Reply #759048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Pinoys love their team. They are a basketball mad country. It's a shame that the brawl happened but they are great people. I have played in basketball comps run by Filipino's in Australia and they are just all about the game.

There's always a few bad eggs so don't let that skew your point of view.

Reply #759323 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What are their excuses after losing by 59 points? *chuckle*

Reply #759523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still seeing plenty of excuses online.

I do love the the small portion of fans though that have had this sudden realisation they're absolutely trash lol.

Reply #759524 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Meanwhile, from r/NBA:

Serbia just put up 75/55/82 splits as a team against the Philippines

Reply #759624 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

FOSHAN, China—Serbia coach Sasha Djordjevic was critical of the foul that Paul Lee committed on Marko Guduric in the fourth quarter of their FIBA World Cup game on Monday night, believing that there was "intent to hurt."

Gilas was already well behind Serbia, 101-51, when Lee bumped Guduric as the latter was bringing down the ball with 7:36 to go. After a review, the hit was upgraded to an unsportsmanlike foul, giving Guduric two free throws and bonus possession to Serbia.

The Filipinos would absorb a 126-67 defeat, relegating them to the classification phase of the World Cup.

"I was not (happy)," Djordjevic said when asked about the hard foul. "I don't like dirty players. I don't like when you have intention, it seemed to me like (there was an) intention to hurt a player."

"I don't want my players to be hurt, the second or the third game. That's why I was so, so worried. You have to stop that," he added.

The Serbian coach said that he wants his team's opponents to "play physically, but tough and fair play."

Surprise, surprise.

Reply #759654 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Basketball is more a national obsession in Phillipines than a national sport- the commentator said this and he is spot on. I have visited that country many times and they really love their basketball, you see kids and adults wearing NBA jerseys everywhere.

So in 60 years of playing internationally they have 1 brawl. Granted their national team is small and struggles against the world powers, but that is to be expected given they have not competed in the World Cup for many years. I hope they can learn from this experience.

But why all the hatred from those on here? Filipinos are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Reply #759669 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Because many of their fans are proud of their thug players and officials, openly taunting (often unprovoked) on social media.

There's also a difference between being passionate and overtly delusional. There appear to be a considerable number of the latter.

Those are just two reasons, JR.

Reply #759672 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Don't see them beating Angola unless the GOAT filo player Blatche drops at least 40pts.

They will face Iran and Tunisa/Puerto rico in the following games so the 0-5 is very likely haha

Reply #759905 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

OMG make it stop.... I happened to switch on Tunisia vs Philippines. The "mighty" Gilas are getting murdered again. Someone find them some chairs.

Hopefully Pinoy TV edit the footage in time so their fans see a version of them "kicking ass" ....

Reply #760589 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Philippines -127pts. Oh my.

Reply #760602 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Look at where Philippines is ranked on the world rankings:

http://www.fiba.basketball/rankingmen#tab=fiba

As a comparison, they ranked New Zealand at 38.

Reply #760610 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Can FIBA strip Philippines as the host of the 2023 World cup? They are not even remotely competitive.

Reply #760611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes 1 brawl in 60 odd years of basketball isn't a lot, but plenty of countries have had 0 in the same (or longer) time.

Real personality comes out in adversity. Throwing chairs at professional sportsmen is their real personality. Yes plenty of us are salty and are holding grudges but it's fair considering what their true colours have shown.

And yes I agree, their comments on FIBA pages are hilarious. A large majority of Filo's are also Kobe fanboys which is all you really need to know re their basketball IQ and understanding of team play

Reply #760616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some of them like one of the best players ever? if that is not a reason to ban them from hosting a tournament then I don't know what is!!

Reply #760617 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

"Yes plenty of us are salty and are holding grudges".
So because u can't get over your own anger issues you think they should be stripped of the World Cup in 2023. God forbid, the world’s basketballers must remember to bow to your ego!

Not condoning the brawl or their actions, but at least they appear to have moved on. Maybe there is something to be learned there. They played the 36ers in a series without incident recently

Reply #760619 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

They are just flat out bad. FIBA has a clause for the Indonesia team to be competitive by 2021 if they are to co host the world cup. Well Phillippines have only been competitive against Angola. Most of their games are decided after the 1st quarter, then we get 3 quarters of junk time. That is a long time for the filos to make a dirty play and a scuffle to break out. They would not handle the embaressment and humiliation of getting blown out on thier home turf in every game in 4 years. Blatche will be 38 years old and won't be able to save them, maybe they can hire Javale Mcgee. FIBA should strip the filos of the hosting rights and move the world cup to Japan

Reply #760620 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Not condoning the brawl or their actions, but at least they appear to have moved on. Maybe there is something to be learned there. They played the 36ers in a series without incident recently"

They'd want to have appeared to have moved on after what they did. I think you must not remember the seriousness of what occurred. If they wanted to gang-bash Kickert, sure. But they were going after anything in a yellow shirt, especially the weakest of them - Sobey and Goulding. They shouldn't be allowed to even compete at this world cup and that's why I revelled in every loss.

And lets not forget how they conducted themselves after the brawl, making documentaries to make their actions seem justified because of a few normal in-game knocks, accusing the Boomers of calling them "monkeys" (despite the Boomers having black players on the team). And the fans... oh my god the fans!

Sorry, but there are so many levels of dead WRONG to Gilas that I'll be actively fanboying against them for at least a decade.

Reply #760626 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Isn't it interesting that the players who played in that game actually hold far less of a grudge than people on here do.. enough said!!

Reply #760799 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Isn't it interesting that JR knows more about the players' feelings regarding the Philippino national team, officials and fans than the players themselves.. enough said!!

Reply #760805 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Isn't it interesting that the players who played in that game actually hold far less of a grudge than people on here do."

I'd expect those Boomers players to maintain a professional composure so as to not get too emotional about that incident. But if ever there was a reason to hold a grudge against a team, surely this is it. It was absolutely atrocious. It was gang violence appearing on a basketball court that could've resulted in the death of a player. What's worse is that the Gilas players didn't seem to understand how appalling and dangerous it was.

Reply #760837 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

One would hope at least they're oblivious as to how life-changing their actions could have been, given how proud they and their fans are of their involvement.

Reply #760846 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Isn't it interesting that the players who played in that game actually hold far less of a grudge than people on here do.. enough said!!"

Oh, definitely. Yeah I am sure that the Boomers have been forthcoming with their exact feelings on the matter with the media. The murderous rage they must have felt immediately after was DEFINITELY shared.

That was an idiotic comment my friend.

Reply #760859 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754