Perthworld
Years ago

World Cup: Boomers vs. Dominican Republic

Now we move onto Group L.

This is on Saturday, tipoff time TBA.

Can't say I know much about DOM. Anyone?

Topic #45854 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Adris Deleon was in their WC squad but just missed the cut.

Reply #760368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DOM
noun. Short for "Dominant." The dominant person in a relationship or encounter.
"She's looking for a dom who has knowledge of tying complicated knots."

There you go Perthworld

Reply #760370 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Thank you.

Reply #760371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good guards, no bigs.

Missing
Angel Delgado
James Feldeine
Al Horford
Edgar Sosa
Karl-Anthony Towns

Reply #760374 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Dominican Republic about to move into group L

Reply #760380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who else is in Group L

Reply #760381 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

France and Lithuania.

We play France on Monday 9th.

Reply #760382 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

They just got smashed by France, bookmark a slow start for the boomers, love doing it the hard way.

Reply #760384 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Yeah the Boomers will sleepwalk the first three quarters and then make it happen in the fourth. That's what they do against these secondary teams.

Reply #760390 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This game is on at 4pm local (and Perth) time.

Reply #760391 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Interesting according to the table, your for and against from all matches carries over.

We will need to hope France beats Lithuania.

Reply #760411 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah if we beat DR and France beat Lithuania we'll be going through. If either of those goes against us, it starts to get messy

Reply #760417 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

IMO Lith will beat France, France will beat Boomers, no quarter final for Boomers

Reply #760421 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Teams finishing equal, the for and against is in respect of just those teams.

Reply #760423 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus laughs at our arrogant notion of a secondary team that has made the 2nd round just like us

Reply #760424 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I don't think anyone is arrogant about beating Dominican Republic. We just know that we HAVE to beat them. If we drop that one, we don't really deserve to progress (and almost certainly wouldn't).

Reply #760425 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

KET. I hope you are right. Many of the news stories have been written as the point differential from all games counting not just between the tied teams.

As this has not been the case before I wouldn't think so.

Reply #760428 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'd think we are in trouble either way points wise - we’d have to lose to France by a small amount of Lithuania win by a small amount.

Australia basically just needs to get it done against both Dom Rep and France.

Reply #760430 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yep, obviously win both and all is great. But if we win the game against DR and France beat LTU that's enough as well

Reply #760433 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

What is the likeliness that France beat Lithuania?

Reply #760441 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

How does Trollballmus see the Boomers going in the second round?

Reply #760442 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Us beating DR and France beating Lithuania seem like the most likely outcomes to me, at least it will be with the bookies I presume?

Reply #760443 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Keep winning and it doesnt matter what other teams beat who.

No reason why Boomers cant beat France and Dominican Republic and go into the bracket undefeated.

Reply #760444 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

How does Baynes stack up in the NBA when he plays against Gobert? That'd be my biggest worry, we'd have to rely on our shooting a lot more against France.

Reply #760468 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah France's interior D has been good. That'll be a challenge. Hopefully Bayne's outside game can help drag Gobert out a little.

Reply #760471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DR average height is 6'4". Only got one guy above 203cm. Boomers average 6'6" and Lithuania is 6'7", France 6'8". I know it's not necessarily how it works, but Baynes and co should run riot.

DR barely beat Jordan, beat Germany by a bucket and then got smashed 56-90 by France.

France got Germany by 4 then belted Jordan and obviously DR.

DR's FG% is 10%+ below Australia's. France and Serbia are the only teams ahead of the Boomers this WC.

Reply #760472 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The thing that sucks about our side of the draw and the way things have panned out is that there is literally no room for error. If we drop one of the upcoming games, suddenly life gets extremely hard. On the Chinese end, you can pretty well sleepwalk through to the top 8.

Reply #760476 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I see people are saying we have to beat DR & France but don't we really only need to beat DR to advance to the QF? I believe the top 2 teams from each of the new four groups advance as QF is 8 teams.

Lithuania can't get past us with an equal record now right? So all we need to do is win one of these 2 games against DR & France to advance, that's how I understand it?

Reply #760486 | Report this post

Ballalld4y  
Years ago

"The thing that sucks about our side of the draw and the way things have panned out is that there is literally no room for error. If we drop one of the upcoming games, suddenly life gets extremely hard. On the Chinese end, you can pretty well sleepwalk through to the top 8."

Agreed, however bodes us well in due time having been in the so called "group of death" and every game being a must win.

So far, two fairly impressive games from three. I don't think anyone expected us to be doing so well offensively. When Delly is making it rain from beyond and Baynes is pulling up from top of the arc and sinking them its an entire different ball game for us in terms of spacing. Probably why we're getting so many dimes.

Surely we make easy work out of DR and give France a run for their money. If we can manage to go through to brackets rd undefeated then you'd think we play brazil or greece for a semis birth.

Things are looking good for that Medal!

Reply #760488 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Lithuania can't get past us with an equal record now right? So all we need to do is win one of these 2 games against DR & France to advance, that's how I understand it?"

If Lithuania beats France and France beats us, there is a 3 way tie which will be broken by points for or against. We'd lose in the points percentage. If France beat Lithuania and we take care of business against DP, we make it through regardless of what happens with Australia and France.

"Surely we make easy work out of DR and give France a run for their money. If we can manage to go through to brackets rd undefeated then you'd think we play brazil or greece for a semis birth."

You'd expect us to take care of DR but I'd want to be able to rest players if we can. Fatigue may become a factor down the stretch. As for France, we can beat them but they do present the kind of athleticism we've shown trouble in dealing with.

Reply #760490 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Steven, Trollballmus thinks you for your respectful request for his insights into the future. Note Trollballmus only provides his insights to those who respectfully ask (our do something funky with his name).

Trollballmus sees a hard fought win for the v the Dominicanos. DR will rate themselves at causing another upset. Trollbalmus does not buy the 'they aint got no bigs, our bigs will smash them' school of thought cause the German bigs who smashed our bigs didn't smash them, so why should ours ? Add the fact that Lemanis could likely go with weird 4 guard lineups again like he inexplicably did v Senegal's length for extended periods. Plus our 17 strong coaching staff weren't able to get us up to perform better against Senegal so we are likely to take an arrogant 'just turn up and we'll win' approach again which has characterised these Boomers at times. So Ballmus sees a tight win but a win nonetheless.

When Ballmus looks into the future he sees things of beauty but also things of horror. He would thus prefer not to describe what is ahead v France and beyond. Suffice to say, while we are rightfully happy to have beaten Lithuania, Trollballmus sees that Lithuania will ultimately finish 10th.

Trollballmus suggests you do those sums Stevo.

Reply #760491 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If Lithuania beats France and France beats us, there is a 3 way tie which will be broken by points for or against. We'd lose in the points percentage."

Under the rules FIBA usually uses, points differential is in the games between the tied teams, so we are currently in a good position at +5, ahead of Lithuania on -5.

Reply #760492 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"You'd expect us to take care of DR but I'd want to be able to rest players if we can. Fatigue may become a factor down the stretch. As for France, we can beat them but they do present the kind of athleticism we've shown trouble in dealing with."

In that case go all out against DR and rest for the France game pending France beat Lithuania? If we're making easy work of DR by the 4th qtr rest then, it's must win.

Reply #760493 | Report this post

Ballalld4y  
Years ago

"If Lithuania beats France and France beats us, there is a 3 way tie which will be broken by points for or against. We'd lose in the points percentage"

Not necessarily, points for an against only take into account teams involved in the tie. So comes down to a game of margins between France with Us and LTU. No point speculating on that might look like, could be anything.

Reply #760497 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Dominican Republic are paying $34. Might be worthwhile putting a small amount on them for Boomers collapse insurance.

Reply #760499 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

The rules on FIBA website are as paul has posted, and the rest of his post is spot on.

Reply #760501 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Dominican Republic are paying $34. Might be worthwhile putting a small amount on them for Boomers collapse insurance."

The line whatever it is might be worth the bet, Angola line was +40.5 which was covered fairly easily.

Reply #760502 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

France vs Lithuania is after Australia vs Dominican Rep, so we can't make any assumptions to rest players. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Lemanis went deeper into the bench anyway.

France are favourites according to the bookies. If France win, we are through, then the Aus vs Fra game decides top spot (assuming we also beat DR) and our QF opponent.

If Lithuania win, it will come down to points differential, unless, again, we beat France. The margins are so tight already, anything can happen. No point speculating until after the LTH vs FRA game.

Reply #760505 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Vive la France!

Reply #760507 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Think France will beat lithos. They should take a look at our game and take the 3 ball away and Sabonis wont be bullying down low with gobert in the paint.

Reply #760514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aus beat Dom
France beat Lith

France 4-0
Aus 4-0
Lith 2-2
Dom 2-2

We are through

Aus beat Dom
Lith beat France

Aus 4-0
Lith 3-1
France 3-1
Dom 4-0

We,lose,to,France in this,scenario,and we are in trouble.3 teams end up on 4-1. The other teams plus minis are way better.

Reply #760516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+/- for the whole tournament won't matter.

Reply #760518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't forget the next round. We finish second then we likely face off against USA. We need to beat France.

Reply #760521 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

It's funny the trepidation one has an old time hoops nut (can remember seeing the 1984 Olympics in the school library and seeing the Boomers play). I've been waiting to see an international mens medal for a looooong time and better bloody see one before I croak dammit! A wonderful opportunity awaits and this team plays with so much heart and passion. Damn I love international hoops!

Reply #760523 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

For me its only been since 92 (damn you old Gus!) and there's been a few times where its felt like its gonna happen only to have our hearts broken.

Though we've never really even gotten close at WC level. Those 4 Olympic 4th places are just cruel.

Reply #760525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams have arrived into nanjing

Reply #760532 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In a perfect world we for once don't have to do it the hard way and on Saturday we beat Dominican Republic by 40+ and Lithuania defeat France.

Reply #760534 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Average odds:

AUS $1.01 $18.00 DOM

Line set at 23.

Reply #760541 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Not getting this fear of the USA. Lost to Australia. Almost lost to a Turkey team that didn't even make the 16. They're not exactly the all-conquering team they usually are.

Reply #760542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of a reversal this time, we need to slow down the Dom guards, the bigs shouldn't be an issue.
Lookin a little tired so maybe throw creek into starting lineup, maybe gliddon, Barlow a few minutes too if possible.

Reply #760544 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The thing that sucks about our side of the draw and the way things have panned out is that there is literally no room for error. If we drop one of the upcoming games, suddenly life gets extremely hard. On the Chinese end, you can pretty well sleepwalk through to the top 8.

We have never ever received any favours from FIBA. It sucks.

Reply #760545 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Side note, I think this new system, while on the surface appearing to be a little confusing, can probably eliminate much of the tanking issues that have happened in the past. While in theory if France and Australia both win tomorrow they don't need to win on Monday, I think for the most part teams are going to need to win to ensure passage. I think there'll be a few groups which will end up being decided on tie breakers

Reply #760552 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Don't count out the Dominican Republic bigs. They took out a Germany team featuring 2 NBA rotation level bigs.

Reply #760553 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Definitely need to play our bench some more tomorrow. Our main 4 are playing over 30 min a game.

Reply #760560 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Cram, If both France and Australia win tomorrow it will be critical who wins their game on Monday because it will determine who their Quarter Final opponent is.

More likely than not we will be looking to avoid a QF against the USA.

Reply #760562 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

We are also playing for seeding in the round of 16 so it will make a difference qualifying out of the group first or second.

Reply #760563 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of course, who would you prefer out of Greece, Brazil and USA? All three would be very tough opponents.

Reply #760565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poland throwing more flops in this game than Sobey does in a season. Free throw count outrageous.

Reply #760568 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus says only Euros flop. Aussies 'do a good job of emphasising the contact' according to Heal, S. which Nostraballmus assumes is different.

Reply #760571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

38 free throws in a 40 minute game.

Reply #760574 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Zodiac,
So much drivel in this thread I can't see if anybody actually answered you.

If we assume that USA finishes 1st in their group, then they play the 2nd place team from our group in the QF. Not somewhere we want to be.
IF we win both games, then we finish 1st. Period. And we will play probably Brazil in the QF.

If we lose to France, then even if Lithuania beats them and we all finish on 4 wins, it is unlikely we finish 1st, and frankly I don't see that happening.

So we need to start by beating DOM, and they are no easy-beats.
The problem for us, is that they excel at the small-ball, and will likely be the toughest challenge Mills, Delly, Joe, and CG have faced.

Yes, our bigs will dominate, but we're got to turn that into points, and keep our bigs out of foul trouble.

Reply #760575 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Poland 4-0.

Must be nice being in the easier side of the draw.

Reply #760576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poland have been good regardless of opponent. The coach has been very good for them.

Reply #760583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What ever ME says. Ignore.

Reply #760584 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Poland 4-0.
Must be nice being in the easier side of the draw."

Correct. Remember that is the Pool setup for CHINA

"Poland have been good regardless of opponent."

Umm, Poland almost lost to China, who were shit.

Reply #760596 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Poland have been good regardless of opponent. The coach has been very good for them.

I do rate their coach and attribute him to their recent progression.

However in the China game they choked big time yet somehow their opponent choked even harder.

Reply #760600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't need to choke today refs looked after them.

Reply #760604 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

China? Worrying signs for them with Korea getting so close.

Reply #760606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really. They can annex Korea at will if it becomes strategically beneficial.

Reply #760618 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

We should take care of the Dominicans by 3 qtr time. NBL guys need to carry the load and give the NBA guys some well earned rest going into the France game. Nick Kay will dominate tonight.

Reply #760621 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

All of the quarter finalists could be locked in tonight if all of the favourites win. Already one side of the draw has the teams set (Argentina, Poland, Spain and Serbia).

Then you have two days of dead rubbers where all the games will be played around what teams consider will be the most favourable draw.

Reply #760622 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The rubbers aren't dead if they effect the draw which they do.

But yes, it could get weird if there are upsets in one pool, and the QF opponents then try to engineer a match-up.

"Fear of USA"?
Absolutely!
ONE victory in a meaningless friendly doesn't translate to a WC qualifier.
Would I rather we place Brazil? Absolutely.

Reply #760629 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

USA's last game of the round, which might determine their placing, starts 30 minutes after Australia's last game. So both games are in progress simultaneously and the result of the USA game comes after the end of Australia's game. It's FIBA's anti-Australia-vs-Angola strategy.

Reply #760632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL I am shocked! We would never!

Reply #760634 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Casey and Heal still prattling on about plus minus as if this game scores matter.
HTF could Heal play so many internationals and not understand how the system works.

Reply #760646 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Per FIBA, points percentage from all games is the tiebreaker. So they're correct.

Neither of them is Casey, however.

Reply #760647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale struggling big time

Reply #760648 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Are you sure it is not only between the teams that are tied?

Reply #760649 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #760650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding is automatic.

Reply #760651 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Argh bloody turnovers again. Thankfully some nice shooting happening too

Reply #760652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, so is Mills.

Reply #760653 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Heal and Dwayne Russell Are you kidding me

Reply #760654 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

That is bizarre.

Reply #760655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love Nestor Garcia as the coach. He's such a character.

Reply #760656 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

LOL I love how animated the Dominican coach is. Quality entertainment.

Reply #760657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs calling defensive fouls on blokes fighting past moving screens, been a couple now, rubbish calls

Reply #760658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why we so arrogant? Where's the heart in this team...

Reply #760659 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Stupid turnovers again, trying to be flashy when playing fundemental basketball would generate a solid win. Play safe, stay in front on defense

Reply #760660 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

The Boomers passing and cutting is elite. Not for the 1st time causing opponents to argue amongst each other.

Reply #760661 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Dominican coach is awesome but he'd scare the sh*t outta me in a dark alley.

Reply #760662 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Coincidence that landale comes on and DOM start smashing points in the paint?

Reply #760663 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Abla!!! F#*k!!! Wise words by the coach seems to have fired up the dominicans

Reply #760664 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Two dunks and a rejection since the time out

Reply #760665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So dam lazy. Desire of the domican team might get them over the lime and no Aussie coach Putin a foot up,there bum.

Reply #760666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale sux

Reply #760667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Landale off the floor

Reply #760668 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Landale is having an absolute shocking game. Stick to kay and creek this game

Reply #760669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all the Kay haters, he was involved in all the baskets that got us a lead, then out and its a 1pt game

Reply #760670 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Yeah Landale stinking it up at both ends

Reply #760671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly don't deserve to advance with this lackadaisical attitude.

Reply #760672 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

And this where they miss Jonah Bolden. Perfect 4 man

Reply #760673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

creek needs to shoot it.

Reply #760674 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Shocking call on Bogut

Reply #760675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It feels DOM is getting a few real cheap ones under the basket. We could easily be getting to the line more. That last one on bogut, horrible.

Reply #760676 | Report this post

Aussiepride  
Years ago

We are lucky we are not down 10 in this game.

Reply #760677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay O board, finds the wide open player, but lets just talk about goulding. Although I have loved his play this comp.

Reply #760678 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Careless

Reply #760679 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

F'n turnovers. Stopping f'n around with the cute stuff!

Reply #760680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible refs but we need to be playing better. Shouldn't be this close but this is what we always do.

3rd quarter will win this game

Reply #760681 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus is not surprised.

Reply #760682 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lots of sloppy play again this game & DOM making us pay on most occasions

Reply #760683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I sort of hope we lose. For all the talk about playing with heart and playing for your teammates, we have shown none of that all tournament.

Reply #760684 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

How can the same team both make you so proud yet infuriate all at the same time? The hot dog passes leading to easy scores. Lift, you blokes!

Reply #760685 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Stop running the same bloody offensive set, how many turnovers just from feeding to moving big men.

We are too stringent in sticking to set routines, its ok to identify the hot hand every now and then and feeding it. Goulding is hitting shots but has been basically been the 3rd option in the play or the bail out shot.

Reply #760686 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Boomers lacking athleticism

Reply #760688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which coach will get up,off his arse and boost the moral of the team.
Caporn, Weaver, bradtke and Longley sit there with blank stares every game.

Reply #760689 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Way too casual. WTF is with this team?

inb4 someone says Lemanis is hiding plays from France.

Reply #760690 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Landale needs to stop with his recent pre-game butter hand wash routine.

Reply #760691 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Dominican coach is awesome but he'd scare the sh*t outta me in a dark alley.

Relax, he'd be too high or drunk to do anything to you.

Reply #760692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal again saying Landale could not break his contract to go to nba, it's utter rubbish, just call the game FFS.

Australia looking tired and sloppy, Ingles last two games look lazy.

Reply #760694 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Boomers with 16 assists from 15 made baskets. I guess that answers the question about whether assists are credited for passes that lead to free-throws.

Reply #760695 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

not one athletic player in this team, except mills. Deserves to lose this match

Reply #760696 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Goulding 11pts. #NBL

Reply #760697 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Players look rightfully frustrated with the refs.

By the way, DR with 15 free-throw attempts vs 5 for Australia.

Reply #760698 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"not one athletic player in this team, except mills. Deserves to lose this match"

Dave, where have you been? Didn't watch the Lithuania game?

Reply #760699 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Czechs leading Brazil.

Reply #760700 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Boomers with 16 assists from 15 made baskets. I guess that answers the question about whether assists are credited for passes that lead to free-throws.
There was a question?

Reply #760701 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

40-40. Unbelievable.

Reply #760703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't our bigs catch a ball today?

Reply #760705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obvious kicked ball is obvious.

Reply #760706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave if you love athletes so much maybe you should go and watch athletics. Say hello to Makur and tell him the same.

Reply #760707 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

The arrogance is killing this team and not becoming of an Australian team. Play your role, get the W. C'mon lads.

Reply #760708 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Luckily DOM can't shoot free throws. 9/17. Otherwise...

Reply #760709 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This refereeing...

Reply #760710 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

WTF Patty just ball watches instead of grabbing it. Lazy.

Reply #760711 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lemanis acting super cool in the timeout. WTF rip into them you dope.

Reply #760712 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus is not surprised

Reply #760713 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

I wish we had the international commentary feed. These guys are hopeless. Totally missed the Double tech and Baynes foul out(?).

Reply #760714 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Bolden, 3rd string C, time to sub in, we need you.

Reply #760715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After this many games you would think our defence and offence had been worked out this is so awful to watch.
Please Andre go back to some basics move the ball with purpose and attack the basket
Oh yeah and why don't you use cam Gliddon I mean you surely pick him for some sort of reason ...

Reply #760716 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Ffs, play with some heart. Mills just watched the loose ball thinking landale could get it.
They all seem to be playing with the ingles attitude. But he does it well, the rest just look lazy

Reply #760717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a good tournament up until now. Pack our bags and let's go home and focus on Japan

Reply #760718 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Commentary hasn't noticed but Baynes has fouled out.

Reply #760719 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Heal is too busy stroking Dwayne.

Reply #760720 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"I wish we had the international commentary feed. These guys are hopeless. Totally missed the Double tech and Baynes foul out(?)."

International commentary think the crowd is cheering FOR Bogut and still think Baynes is sitting with 4 fouls.

Reply #760721 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Compare and contrast the passion of the Dominican coach and Lemanis.

Reply #760722 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

They review the shot but don't review the out of bounds.

Reply #760723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fairness, Perthworld, his passion did not prevent Venezuela from losing to the Boomers in Rio, nor will it prevent the Dominicans loss tonight.

Reply #760724 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If no getting fired up was all that mattered then South Americans would be champions of all sports

Reply #760725 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Mills lifting the team AGAIN with some big plays

Reply #760726 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Mills somehow fouls while being cleaned up by a double screen?

Reply #760727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame to see a player go down. Hope it's not serious

Reply #760728 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They review the shot but don't review the out of bounds.
Can we please stop complaining about the refs not reviewing things that aren't reviewable?

Reply #760729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL international commentary just realised Baynes has fouled out.

Reply #760730 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

" FIBA told me the PD counts for all games played. I was told it goes:
1. Overall wins/losses.
2. Overall PD.
3. Overall points scored.
— Olgun Uluc (@OlgunUluc) September 7, 2019"

Not according to FIBA's World Cup website.

"Should the comparative ranking need to be established between the teams placed on the same position in the groups, one group of all teams in questions shall be established. The criteria shall be applied in the following order:

Better win-loss record of all games played in their revised final group standings.

Higher game points difference of all games in their revised final group standings.

Higher number of the game points scored in all games in their revised final group standings.

If these criteria still cannot decide, a draw shall decide on the final classification.

For more information, please read Section D of the Official Basketball Rules."

Section D is very clear. The 'revised final group' terminology means the tied teams only.

The link is in the information popup on http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/competition-system.

Reply #760731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's almost like we don’t like to win any game easily and we react to the other team instead of playing our own game and setting the tone. Need a big effort to wrap this up but see it going down to the wire

Reply #760732 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Can we please stop complaining about the refs not reviewing things that aren't reviewable?"

What's the rule about out of bounds reviews? There have been a lot in this tournament. Is it only in the last x minutes?

Reply #760733 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

PJ As it always has been in the more than 50 years I have followed the game.

Reply #760734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there's valid criticism of Lemanis, but the notion that the guy jumping up and down and screaming is inherently doing a better job as a coach is stupid. Coaches can't just express whatever emotional rollercoaster they're experiencing as they watch their team play. They have to make a decision about what form of expression their team is most likely to respond to, and they have to behave that way regardless of whether it's how they feel or not. If Lemanis and the coaching staff have made the decision that 'ripping into' a bunch of guys whose income and basketball experience far exceed their own, not doing it doesn't make them bad coaches.

Reply #760735 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

When a sense of urgency is required the coach shouldn't be trying to act super casual cool. Lemanis basically laughed in one timeout.

Reply #760736 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Plus in the timeout I am referring to Lemamnis had nothing to say and Bogut took over. WTF?

Reply #760737 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We needed to win this by 30-40pts. It's as if they think FRA-LTU was already played earlier today and FRA won it.

Meanwhile CZE leading BRA - could setup us up for a juicy R16 if we win the group. But no let's just be casual.

Reply #760738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only does Dwayne Russell ruin NBL games, but now we're forced to hear him ruin this on fox..

Reply #760739 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ow, how easy was that in transition for DOM.

Reply #760740 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Of all the criticisms of Lemanis I have read around here, staying composed during a close game has to be one of the dumbest

Reply #760741 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What's the rule about out of bounds reviews? There have been a lot in this tournament. Is it only in the last x minutes?
Last two minutes.

Reply #760742 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Up by double digits finally. Time to absolutely hammer them now.

Meanwhoile Dwayne keeps talking about Geelong.

Reply #760743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wait until the final few minutes to up the tempo?

Reply #760744 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's not the Boomers style to panic and get emotional. It's just sticking to business. Lemanis talks about not letting the lows be too low or highs too high.

Reply #760745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad Landale is redeeming himself this quarter. He still has soap for hands, though.

Reply #760746 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Perthworld. If we want to win the group we need to beat France in all likelihood. Score here wont matter as long as we get the W

Reply #760747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure Perthworld. You also said "compare and contrast the passion of the Dominican coach and Lemanis." As though a) passion is a valid measure of coaching ability and b) physical activity is the best measure of passion.

Bogut's basketball IQ is probably higher than Lemanis', letting him talk probably has some validity.

Reply #760748 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Lol goulding, not the place to take a charge hahah

Reply #760749 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well amongst the points differential lack of clarity from FIBA it's kind of hard to know WTF exactly we need also. So frustrating.

Reply #760750 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Its game on again

Reply #760751 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Bogut's basketball IQ is probably higher than Lemanis', letting him talk probably has some validity."

Well I can't argue with that.

In such a crucial moment basically having nothing to sayas a head coach is alarming though.

Reply #760752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay's turn to suck now.

Reply #760753 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, DOM miss the wide open three from a huge defensive breakdown.

Reply #760754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Derwayne not realise that 6 points in 2.5 minutes is not exactly insurmountable in basketball?

Reply #760755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clutch Delly strikes again

Reply #760756 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Phew.

Reply #760757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dom coach was going off just then so they will probably win now

Reply #760758 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Way to miss the point.

Reply #760759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Derwayne calling their last bucket wallpaper over the cracks. Horribly disrespectful & clueless comment after a legit contest.

Reply #760760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible game, good result though. Let's go France tonight.

Reply #760762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D.1.3 If 2 or more teams have the same win-loss record of all games in the group, the game(s) between these 2 or more teams shall decide on the classification.

This means if we end up tied with Lithuania we go through. Everything that everyone keeps writing and the commentators keep saying is only if the head to head games themselves can't sort it out.

Reply #760769 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Mills with +21, which means Boomers were -15 in 10 minutes without him, again showing how much we relied on Mills' offensive presence.

Reply #760770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Gliddon not being used at all I wonder what difference it would have made to have Martin to be able to put the clamps on a guy. So far our offense has looked best when it comes off defensive stops.

Reply #760772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have liked to see Barlow get Kay's minutes, Kay get Landale s.
Landale only good for a couple of 3s in the end.

Reply #760774 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Wasn't Martin unavailable due to off season injury treatment? I know he's playing NBL warm ups now but wasn't ready when the squad came together?

Reply #760784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin was never considered for the boomers at this WC

Reply #760795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Ingles was horrible this game, save for a couple of lucky steals he was completely useless most defensive possesions not even attempting to get position to rebound ball watching allowing easy penetration and on offense he wasn't much better.

jingles can sometimes play with a complete lack of will to win and plays way to casaul as if its a rec game - which for their other faults could never be said of Delly or Patty

Reply #760801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills has been our best player by far over the tournament. Dellavedova next and all others have had there time in the sun, obviously not the bottom three though.

Reply #760802 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Why do we have to make it so hard?
I don't know how important (if at all) overall points difference is, but the coms were banging on about it.
Either its a chance for that, OR a chance to manage your starters, but its like nobody got the memo. Too many guys playing at half-pace.

So sick of hearing the coms bang on about what great passers we are. Have they LOOKED at the turnover count.
And all this shit about Bogut being such a great passer for a Big Man. Yeah he is, so what, doesn't mean we want him at the top of the key against the Doms. Put in the post and let him go to work.

And why do I have this terrible feeling, that Lemanis' anointing of Landale as the Great White Hope, is just going to keep biting us in the arse until we bleed out.
That decision probably convinced them they didn't need Motum, caused Boldne to have a dummy spit, and left us with a crippled Barlow.
Yeah, he's a great finisher when he's being fed, and provided nobody puts a body on him. But he also lacks strength and is often found out defensively.
I mean sorry, but you cannot convince me that Creek is a better option at the 4.
Plus, Bogut's foul problems seem to be getting worse. I think the refs are gunning for him. So what happens if that shit hits the fan?

But hey, at least for once we let our backup PG actually play.

Reply #760803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did Dominican Republic do to break Baynes's brain?

Reply #760821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top eight in the world is a Fantastic result, basketball is the second most liked world team sport but get very little recognition in Australian media and we are top eight on the planet.

Reply #760825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 - What you''ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Reply #760856 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And why do I have this terrible feeling, that Lemanis' anointing of Landale as the Great White Hope

The only reason Dwayne Russell would've been banging on about Landale so much is because he's from Geelong and that's where Russell played his AFL footy too for the Cats. He also never shuts up about Port Adelaide either because he started his career playing SANFL for them too.

He really only did commentary on Melbourne United games in the NBL so he fell in love with Chris Goulding so used to carry on about him all the time too like he was doing in this game if he wasn't talking about Landale it was Goulding.

He's a very ordinary commentator consumed by his biases.

Reply #760870 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Landale is clearly a very good player, and with a bit more strength and experience will probably land an NBA gig. His flexibility, in being able to play minutes at the 5, is a handy backup.

Whether he should be "starting" is statistically irrelevant, but Kay is clearly the better player in this WC.

But, thinking he was the Messiah, is probably why they decided they didn't need Motum.

Then relegating Bolden to bench-warming undoubtedly caused his dummy spit.

I like Creek as a role player. He brings a great level of intensity.
And Goulding has been phenomenal.

Honestly, I don't know if things would look any different if we had other players on the end of the bench. It's almost practically impossible to use 12 players in a 40 minutes game.
But surely we would at least have better options that Creek in the 4 and Goulding in the 3?

Obviously big test coming against France, and hey if we keep on winning...

Reply #760890 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Agree D2.0. I'm sure you are all salivating with the Ballmus at the prospect seeing Simmons, Broekhoeff, Exum, Bolden added to this rotation for Tokyo.

Reply #760895 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's worth looking at coach Flynn's analysis of the Boomers game on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/coachliamflynn/status/1170893187285757952?s=20

He also did this for other games too.

Reply #761022 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754