Anonymous
Years ago

World Cup Day 9 Discussion

Russia v Venezuela
Italy v Puerto Rico
Argentina v Poland
Serbia v Spain

Is it fair to say today's games are fairly meaningless?

Also, are Italy supposed to be a good team? I've watched their past two games and they've been awful, and now they're getting pumped by Puerto Rico. Although I keep seeing them being described as a "European power".

Topic #45864 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serb vs Spain and arg vs pols to determine top spot.

Reply #760916 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Italy has Olympic medals bro = power

Reply #760921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Italy was a European power, but slid a long way after winning the silver at the 2004 Olympics. Made it back up to 6th at the last Eurobasket, but definitely not a modern day power yet.

Reply #760924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*sorry, Italy was 6th in 2015 and 7th in 2017.

Reply #760925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're coming back, the Italians!

Reply #760926 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Correct. It's handy though having a rest day before the epicness of tomorrow.

Reply #760927 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

No. Next Question?

Notwithstanding that in 3 groups, those going through are already determined, the remaining games are still extremely important.

Next to actually making it into the final 8, the next most important thing is who you play and what side of the finals you go. Half the remaining games are to determine that.

For the other 8 teams, many were prospective finalists, etc, so there is a lot of pride on the line in determining placings. I don't know how they are determined, as there do not appear to be any classification games for 9-16, but even if its done on a combined table basis, those who have missed out would rather finish 9th than 16th.
I imagine that will also impact world rankings.

Reply #760930 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

From FIBA World Cup site: "The bottom two teams from each group are eliminated and ranked in places 9-16 according to the Official Basketball Rules."

Reply #760931 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

This Serbia v Spain game is some seriously good hoops

Reply #760943 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A bit too good for my liking

Reply #760944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Llull is some sort of player, better than Rubio. Spain looking very good.

Reply #760946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia are asleep or set up the match up they want. Both Spain and Serbia should win the cross over to make final four.

Reply #760947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joker, double technical, thrown out of game. He was playing shit.

Reply #760948 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not watching the game, but can Serbia engineer a favourable path after Argentina/Poland by losing this game? Or do Spain just have their measure?

Reply #760949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Argentina vs Serbia = serbia
Poland vs Spain = spain
USA vs Aus or France = ?
Czech, Brazil or Greece vs france or aus = ?

Reply #760950 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Iran qualify for the Olympics with a 2-3 +7 record besting China's 2-3 -10 to grab the Asia zone spot. Nice.

Reply #760951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia are coming!

Isaac I believe if Serbia lose this game they will go into the same side of the draw as USA. If they win then they don't play them until the final

Reply #760952 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's probably better for the US if Serbia win tonight.

Reply #760953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iran played quite well through the WC but just could not get close wins, glad they make it.

Serbia looked fantastic in first quarter and since then been in second gear. Starting a bit of a roll on now but strange game. Are they just playing bad or trying to set up their crossovers. Remember that Australia beat Serbia easily in the last Olympics only to be smashed when it really counts.

Reply #760954 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I only caught the first half of Serbia-Spain, but Spain look scary when firing on all cylinders. Jokic's ejection was a bit silly but he did get mugged on that double team that prompted the tech. The level of refereeing has really not matched the quality of play throughout this tourney unfortunately, something FIBA really need to address if they want the big names to take this tournament seriously.

Reply #760974 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Serbia didn't really find an answer to Spain's zone. Just as they haven't found an answer to the USA's speed and pressure in the past two major tournaments. They can still win it but I wouldn't be putting money on them beating the US simple because of that history.

Reply #760979 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I still think Serbia are the team to beat.

Played disinterested last night, couldn't make shots, Jokic got tossed and it was still close.

Bit of a wake up call

Reply #760986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:04 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754