Luuuc
Years ago

FIBA Headquarters

...is in Mies, Switzerland. It's on the outskirts of Geneva, right near the lake. Really nice part of the world, although very expensive.

Just thought I'd note it here to save everyone from having to Google it.

Topic #45891 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

Why did Bogut reference it? I don't get it.

Reply #762488 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I find that I'm often not on the same wavelength as Andrew Bogut, and this is no exception.

Reply #762492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why is this a topic?

Reply #762497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one time all tournament the Boomers make the mainstream news headlines it's for an embarrassing reason

Reply #762498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No such thing as bad press. The guardian ran a live coverage of the game and the abc report on it at completion, so things look like they are improving.

Reply #762499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut putting this on the refs is a cop out

Reply #762500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only was he geographically incorrect, telling someone to google something is the lamest way to make a point.

Reply #762513 | Report this post

Another one lost  
Years ago

He was referencing the fact the Fiba headquarters and Spain reside on the same continent in Europe, and that is why he has a view of perceived bias against Australia as Fiba would be happier for a European team to have success rather than Oceania.

Reply #762516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Europeans always look after the EU family it's simple. The balding ref knew where his bread was buttered!!

Not that he cause our turnovers or joe Ingles to decide shooting wasn’t his thing

Reply #762519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disappointed by this.
It wasn't the refs.
Lose with some grace.
It was bad enough listening to Heal and Russell all game banging on after every call made by the refs against Australia being wrong.
Yeah the call against Bogut was ordinary. So was the next one that put Mills on the line.
Face it, we just got outplayed and outcoached late.

Reply #762520 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Maybe he meant how are they going to afford Mies Switzerland without being corrupt? :-p

I understand the frustration. But bad calls happen in sports.

Mills could've iced it with the FTs. But one didn't fall. Heartbreaking as Mills has carried us on his shoulders. But that's the feather that broke his back unfortunately.

Reply #762523 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

^^^^^
Agree about the refs and losing with grace. In such an intense game, I think they did quite an even-handed job. Each team had dubious calls they could question.

I'm not totally sure we were out-coached; it was Spain’s experience under pressure which got them over the line as we became more and more desperate (& tired)

Reply #762524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we got outcoached just a little ? Listening to Scariolo in the press conference talking about experience and execution down the stretch and needing to know when to go to what kind of made me think that. Spain were able to adjust, limit Mills in the fourth and beyond but It felt a little like we were hoping that what we had been doing would just keep working. Plan B? I don't know we just seemed unsure late, even listening in to the EOG play where Mills got fouled looked like players were confused/didn’t know the play, like they hadnt run it before ? And it was supposed to go to Ingles ? Don’t know enough to know. Didn’t matter in the end Mills got to the line but no such potential confusion in the Spanish time outs we saw.

Reply #762525 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

In such an intense game, I think they did quite an even-handed job. Each team had dubious calls they could question.

Agreed

I'm not totally sure we were out-coached; it was Spain's experience under pressure which got them over the line as we became more and more desperate (& tired)

I really think it was fatigue that got us in the end. By the 4th quarter we were running on empty. If we'd been a couple of players deeper then the minutes all tournament are more evenly distributed and our main rotation guys are fresher in that game. Tactically we were superb.
Mindset-wise, when it came down to crunch time and Spain decided to focus half their team on Patty, our other players weren't aggressive enough to make them pay for it. Normally that would have been Delly, Baynes/Bogut & Ingles staying composed and having a field day, but they all seemed spent by that stage.

Reply #762528 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I'd say that execution at the end of most quarters was a problem- especially passing out of on-ball situations. I think we turned over at least two end of quarter plays during the game.
But lots of NBA teams have problems at the end of quarters as well.
I'd put it down to excessive micromanagement of the play and lack of player and ball movement.

Reply #762529 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

'I'd put it down to excessive micromanagement of the play'

Mike, Nostraballmus is interested. Tell us more about this.

Reply #762531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

end of quarters = fatigue time

Reply #762532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah right. So the theory is we were more tired so executed better ?
Can anyone see total minutes Spain's studs had played vs Australia’s ? There was the extra days rest from quarters too.

Reply #762533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*executed worse duh

Reply #762534 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Look at the last 2 plays for both teams in quarters 1-4 an first overtime- I think we were outscored 9-1.
Letting Llull get a shot away in the first quarter, when I think we had a foul to give was poor.
But putting either Ingles or Mills in a high on-ball screen at the end of quarters with no movement hasn't really worked all tournament. We generally end up with a turnover, or worse a turnover and a breakaway for the opposition. Without a superstar, athletic tall guard, these end of quarter plays don't work.

Better just to run one of the normal sets and get loads of player movement.

I lived through way too many Celtics losses in playoff games when Doc Rivers did this with Paul Pierce.

Reply #762542 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Cheers, I hear ya. EOG plays not our strength.

Reply #762544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain executed much better and shared the ball in the end, high % plays by high IQ guys compared to being too Patty focussed and turning it over too much.

Reply #762548 | Report this post

Captain Obvious  
Years ago

Bogut is a very bad loser and wants to blame people. That's all.
The referees didn't cause us to miss free trows. The referees didn't cause us to stop running any offences.
Yes I'd like to look at that would call on Bogut when it looked like he had position and Gasol was in to his back, but it wasn't what cost the game.

Reply #762554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand why people say Bogut is a sore loser but in the last Olympics the call on Mills at the end was rubbish and the one on Bogut last night was worse, if there was a foul there it should have gone to Bogut not Gasol. I'm not going to blame the refs but one bloke last night clearly was favouring Spain, got overruled by one of the other refs a few times. End game passion is high I understand where Bogut and Longley came from.

In saying the above at eleven up we had to put the foot on the throat and we didn’t, Spain good D and tiredness from the Aussies. Such is life.

Reply #762558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You were cool with the following call to put Mills to the line tho right ? And the offensive on Gasol where Ingles had a hand full of his singlet. Mills hooking Rubio round the neck ? The Mills flop on Rubio. They were all Ok right ?

Like u said we had our chance and got outplayed late.

Reply #762559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calls go both ways it's happens but sometimes refs got see what’s happening, go back and look at that call on Bogut, Gasol clearly pushes him, as Longley said Spain been kissed on the dick every time they play Australia.

Reply #762561 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Heartbreaking. But the refs were not the reason for the loss. 25% shooting from 3 and 20+ turnovers got us.

Reply #762564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep they got that one wrong but the next one as well

Reply #762565 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Spain are cheating bottom MFKRS,& that is it.

Reply #762567 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

We got robbed in Rio but this time the reffing wasn't terrible.

In fact, I think the reffing has been good overall in this tournament- a refreshing improvement compared to the NBL, where Mitch McCarron got pinged for 9 fouls across the first 2 finals games in Perth.... none of which was actually a foul, and where Perth routinely gets called for 8 or 10 fouls in an entire game in front of their red army, peculiarly enough getting away with defense that is considered illegal in any other stadium in Australia- except when UFC comes to Marvel.

In comparison, world cup reffing has been elite and not worth complaining about. Bogut should focus on being a better role model instead of outbursts like that.

Reply #762569 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah, the call on Bogut/Gasol was terrible, but you do get that in basketball. There werent multiple bad ones across a game that impacted the game beyond the norm, like the Rio example.

Reply #762570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was that crucial last call on Bogut that was the killer, the should have gone on Gasol, yes on the next play Mills went to stripe and got the call but game should have been over with ball in Australian hands.
Overall I agree the refereeing through out the tournament was top shelf but I can totally see why Bogut the warrior is pissed off.

Reply #762574 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Love that posters here don't go off on the refs when we know we have to accept this loss was on us.

This is the first Olympic or World Cup Semi Final where we have looked the better team. Previously we would have just hoped everything went right to get a win.

In this case we were just playing OK and still up by 10. We were just weren't good enough at the end to hang on. That is why this one hurts more than previous Semis.

Add to that we would have been a definite chance this time to get gold.

Reply #762575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to admit the call on Bogut was horrendous

Reply #762587 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I think it simply highlights something we all know. FIBA ball is very Euro-centric, and it makes sense. Your can't expect a global sport to follow NBA trends, when the vast majority of top teams are European, play in the European comps, and play the same style.

It also highlights that our much vaunted game-plan to combat Euro teams, fell short.
And TBH that whole claim leaves me puzzled.
It seems Lemanis has caught the recent obsession with small-ball, and maybe that works in the NBA, but it hasn't worked at the WC.

Realistically we expect Australia to be a top 8 team, and I think we are. We've actually gone a step further and made top 4 in this tournament.

Please stop mentioning that Mills F/T. Mills has CARRIED this team.

Maybe we should be asking why "bubbles" suddenly went to water in this game (after being exceptional) or why Jingles suddenly couldn't hit the side of barn.
With Jingles at least, I do suspect fatigue. He looked knackered.
Which does beg the question as to why we kept riding him for 44 minutes.

Reply #762596 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

We had 2 opportunities to ice that game.

Spain never blitzed Mills until the last 5 minutes of the 4th. Lemanis never adjusted. We had the last possession however Lemanis had already used our timeouts. We walk out of the last time out in the first overtime with no-one having a clue what he wanted. Mills and Delly decided to make their own play, which at least allowed us to tie it up again.

Reply #762616 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I think Bogut was referring to the fact that the FIBA headquarters is in Switzerland and thus have Swiss bank accounts.... hint hint.... untrackable bribes being sent to refs swiss bank accounts.....

Reply #762659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut has no idea just trying to take the spotlight off his terrible defence

Reply #762668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Between Bogut and Longley - two of our 'leaders' - we’ve come across internationally as right such sore loser w$&nkers

The US have been pants but have shown how u lose with grace

Reply #762672 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought before the tournament, all the talk was about FIBA sucking up to China with an easy draw? And now it's actually that they are biased towards European teams?

Reply #763206 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Of Course they are biased towards the Euro teams once the cash cow that is China was out of the tourney.

FIBA re no better than FIFA...they look after certain Euro countries where the power base is and them next inline is who has the biggest cheque book.

Reply #763229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems all the powerbrokers in FIBA have been sitting around plotting how to screw over the Boomers ... lets give them the group of death, less rest, let them get out to 12 and 15 point leads then have the refs make calls against them to get the opposition back in the game, make key crucial calls against them at the death, more travel, even give them a filipino ref in the bronze, not name Mills in the all star 5, probably fine Bogut for his outburst

They must have their full anti-Boomers dept there in Switzerland working overtime

Reply #763233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA is corrupt as F#%k

Australia brings little money in comparison to Europe and China they only care about their own fat pockets

Reply #763246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any proof to back up these claims? Because I haven't seen any to date.

Reply #763254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Argentina did beat France in the other semi final...

Reply #763262 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Olgun:

From yesterday: The FIBA Secretary General, Andreas Zagklis, said there "will be a disciplinary procedure" to investigate Andrew Bogut's post-game comments after Australia's semifinal loss.

Reply #763287 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

wots the world's biggest criminal organisation ....
...fifa..

Reply #763738 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Maybe Bogut's just trying to unsettle the Swiss housing market a bit, looking to buy in low?

Reply #763749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754